/tpg/ - ThinkPad General thread

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6440) and T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for 2570p master race
>socketed CPU with efficient cooling system capable of handling up to i7-3940xm cpu
>16GB 2133MT/s CL11 RAM support
>very nice eGPU support (hotplug, up to 90% PCIe 2.0 x1 link capability
>two 2,5" 9,5mm bays
>RAID0 12Gbps support
>non-overheating docking station with standard 3x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0 charging port
>easy access to all internal components via single switch
>better speakers than x230
>non-whitelisted wifi slot. You can upgrade wifi card to intel 7260ac without playing with hardware SPI flasher and BIOS modifications like x230 users
>overclocking ability
>trackpoint with "tapping" support
>hardware battery charge indicator

Second for 2170p ultramobile 11" i7 + eGPU dock master race.
lelnopevovo x120e BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

who /windows10/ here

all the 2570p shilling makes me want to try one (already own a x230)

is €150 a good price for the i7 version?

Fifth for the e6440

it's actually a very good price.
>tfw 2570p CPU is as fast as p50 xeon
exdeee

Is a T520 i5 worth it for $255?

10 days after I bought x220 shop stocked x230 with IPS only for $30 more difference

thats killing me

The only real reason to get one is so you can drop in a QM cpu later, so the cpu already in it is irrelevant

you dumb chinks told me the thinkpad retro was dropped.

Reminder

>The thinkpad classic might unironically be the last good thinkpad

playing left 4 dead with like no lag on my X220 (8gb ram and ssd)

feels gud

Fuck off shill

Anything can run that oldie on 640 * 480 and have no lag.

noobs

Not a Thinkpad, but on a Dell Latitude I had to install the Intel drivers before I could get brightness to work

Can you return it?

>is irrelevant
You can sell it for more money and then get more expensive qm cpu, so indeed it matters

yeah just simply sell it lol get your money back no problem

real life is not like an rpg kid

DELET THIS NOW

If you inspect the teaser image on rgbthink.com you get 't_retro.jpg'

can you put a t420 Keyboard on t460s (or other relatively new t4**model) ?

My T430 is dying, lads, I got a big dark blotch on the bottom of my screen. What should I upgrade to?

p50

No, only the t430

guys is there way to download recovery DVD for x220 from internet? I dont want to order from lenovo unfortunately I formated my recovery partition

Unfortunately no. The chiclet keyboard on the new Thinkpad (**50, **60, **70) is supposed to still be the best in class, but it isn't the classic keyboard

thx

I downgraded my bios and then installed Middleton's, but it didn't do anything at all. I have the same disk speeds as before.

windows iso + lenovo system update tool has done everything for me

does it also work for the t430 S ?

Is the thinkpad x60 tablet still good in current year + 2. All I want to do is browse the web maybe compile some programs.

It will certainly be showing its age
There is no point in getting the tablet unless you're a drawfag

Good banter from the chinks.

Is the 4:3 screen confirmed or is it fake news and they're going to stick with 16:10?

I like screen that can turn. Also I draw sometimes but I'm not sure the touch drivers will work well with parabola GNU+linux.

Yes

Well if you want something, get a x201t at the very minimum

thx again !!!

check on the pirate bay . org theres an x220 windows 7 recovery iso download at your own risk but far as i can tell it looks clean

In my case, I'm selling an X220 right now and I decided to make a clonezilla image with a sysprepped Windows 7 installation with all lenovo drivers and nothing else, activated automatically with its legal refurbish key underneath.

My problem is, when installing windows, the fingerprint application pops up asking the user to set up the fingerprint sensor. I cannot seem to change that one unless I uninstall it and I wouldn't want to do that.

the fingerprint application should have a checkbox on the bottom that says "start up with windows"

uncheck that

Yeah, the thing is after fucking with it on audit mode and sysprepping this thing, that setting goes back to it on a new account.

Maybe I'll just leave it like that and explain in case there needs to be an explanation.

Fucking nigger HP 2570p shill
Thinking really hard whether I should buy one.
160€ doesn't sound bad for one. But I think I can't bear with that keyboard and its nipple.

Does the 2570p have a backlit keyboard available for it? Guessing no.

How are those reflective keyboard stickers on ebay when used with the keyboard light?

Bought this for someone who can't touch type yet so they have trouble in the dark.

I have the i7 version from when it was new. T520's are bretty reliable, only had to swap out the hard drive because i let someone else use it and they crammed it full of viruses.

You need a smallish laptop for portability reasons, right?
A 2570p is bulkier and has less battery compared with the x230 (with 9-cell batery).
It's more expandable, sure (regarding CPU), but the QM CPU in a 2570p throttles after a while under heavy load, it also rapes the battery under said loads.

The 2570p is definetly more robust than the x230, but they act differently when they fall. The HP is bendier and will get bent or cracked like and apple (but will whitstand much more than apple shit), while the x230 will crack faster than bend.
The keys themselves feel better (texture wise), but the layout is pure cancer. The trackpoint in the HP laptops is less precise and the lack of middle button is retarded. The trackpad is better than the x230 one (I only use the trackpad on an elitebook for scrolling though). No backlit keyboard option for the HP either.

Regarding meme eGPUs, the hp's seem to be more stable under express card 2.0 speeds, but I have a x230 that is completely stable too (I only say it's unstable because there are several reports of it in the web).

The x230 is harder to clean and change the thermal paste if you ever need to do it, because you have to take the motherboard from the chassis (which is only a 10 min operation, but whatever).

For more questions, feel free to ask.

>t. thinkpad and elitebook pro, fuck latitudes, tecras a shit, panasonic are awesome

>and has less battery compared with the x230 (with 9-cell batery).
????????????????
2570p also has 9cell option. It's actually 100Wh, while x230 has 93Wh. Recheck your facts.
>and the lack of middle button is retarded.
?????
And what stops you from scrolling with right trackpoint button?

>Does the 2570p have a backlit keyboard available for it? Guessing no.
No, only the light above the screen. But it's probably possible to fit 2170p keyboard into 2570p, which has exact same layout and it's backlit.
>but the QM CPU in a 2570p throttles after a while under heavy load
Lie. 35W QMs NEVER throttle on standard heatsink.
45W QMs also don't throttle, but temperatures close to 100C are not acceptable (throttling engages at 102C, 105C is shutdown)
It's very easily fixable by mountig small piece of cooper or cooper coints on the heatpipe, which is the only bottleneck in 2570p cooling system.
>rapes the battery under said loads.
My standard 6cell battery (55Wh) with i7-3740m works for 1 hour under full load of CPU and iGPU, screen at 100% and SSD+HDD spinning. 100Wh option is about 2 hours. But lets face it: you will never load the cpu that badly, even during gayming. In practice 55Wh battery gives me from 4 to 6 hours of chrome use. 100Wh is about 12 hours.

also meant to
*copper
*mounting
sorry for my finger autism

>2570p also has 9cell option. It's actually 100Wh
Didn't know that.

>And what stops you from scrolling with right trackpoint button?
Because that button is for right click.

>Lie. 35W QMs NEVER throttle on standard heatsink.
Proofs? On normal loads they sure don't, but make them render something and watch the chip's temperature climb and climb until it throttles.

>My standard 6cell battery (55Wh) with i7-3740m works for 1 hour under full load of CPU and iGPU, screen at 100% and SSD+HDD spinning
Yep, that's shit. Without the QM you would have another 30 mins at least.

Don't worry, everyone's an autist.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAA
Jesus christ you guys are pathetic.

Has anyone tried pulling off the sticker of the trackpad or even replacing it with another one different kind?
Got my T460 and it has a rubbery finish on the trackpad, feels very gritty and I hate using it.

>Because that button is for right click.
you press the button and don't release it - it works as scroll button
you press the button and release it - it right clicks
Literally using it right now and everything works fine.
>Proofs? On normal loads they sure don't, but make them render something and watch the chip's temperature climb and climb until it throttles.
The fact that these qc cpus are 35W is enough. All dual core cpus are 35W too.

>Yep, that's shit.
>30 mins at least
So this will be 1:30hr.
This is exactly how long my old x230 with 9cell battery (80Wh usable capacity) was lasting. It was i7-3520m and IPS powered, and I'm counting full load during fallout: new vegas gameplay. So I'm sorry desu but IPS screens use much more power than the difference between my i7-3740qm and stock dual cores.
No surprise tho. IPS screens are known to be extremely power hungry.

>No, only the light above the screen. But it's probably possible to fit 2170p keyboard into 2570p, which has exact same layout and it's backlit.

Wish there were a single success story for this. From googling it seems like an extra ribbon cable would be necessary to power the backlight and I don't know where this would go on the motherboard.

there are lots of unused connectors on the 2570p motherboard. Even powered USB headers.
So I guess it's only a matter of measuring what voltage it requires and using the proper connector.

I didn't even know it was a sticker

To this user, sorry I have been having problems with my winXP installation and also problems finding touhou games. But I will still continue investigating T60, how it performs when watching videos and shitpostng. I was also suspecting that this machines' wlan was being slow.

I will give you comparison on synthetic performance numbers between T61 and T60

i have an x220t, and i recently installed ubuntu cuz my old ssd killed itself.

I cant get it to boot into GRUB, idk wtf to do at this point. All it shows past the bios is a blinking underscore. Even tho the installation works fine. what do??

Welcome the to club pal
I'm currently trying this link below for my stupid problem after playing around on my win7 which is now fucked
>help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Anyone have a decent guide on how to use a RPi 3 model b as an SPI flasher? Trying to whitelist my T430s.

Also;
can you have a display higher than 1366x768? Otherwise I'd rather get an x220 and get the high res mod.

Did you enable it in the bios? And if you don't have an SSD it probably won't matter.

Yes.
Is it as simple as in x220? no.

There's no goddamn way they're going with 4:3. I'd honestly be surprised if they even got 16:10. We'll just have to wait and see though I guess.

TDP is different from actual power consumption.

We are talking about heat and throttling, not power consumption.
Well actually both, but I never implied TDP is related to power consumption. Desu.

or 3:2 since those already exist and are up to modern standards

What's wrong with latitudes? Especially the E6400 and E6500. Pinnacle of Dell design IMO.

You don't say shit about E6440 baka
E6440 is the best 14" laptop with nvidia dGPU, quad core xm haslel CPU and 1080 IPS screen.
Plus it supports overclocking, triple SSD setup + WWAN + non-whitelisted wifi slot.

Forgot about 3:2, that would be amazing. 4:3>3:2>16:10>>:9.

No shit. Did it on my x220, just trying to get it done on here. I can mod the bios if I can get a dump but the guides I've found for using a pi 3 don't work because the software isn't available.

ah fuck realized you're probably talking about the second part of the post.

We came a long way after 25 years

If it is successful, I hope Lenovo makes the T480 or T490 with a non-chicklet keyboard and thick build quality, while the L series takes it's place for 'slim' laptop

get dat WLAN whitelist nigga

>fuck latitudes
There are a few nices ones, I like the E6400, E6410 and E4200.
I think the E6430s was a neat device, though the E5520m is quite laughable (Core 2 Duo in 2011)

Although the E7440 does like to throttle and has shit battery life, I think it is a better machine than the X1C2 that came out around the same time.

Also the magical E6440 sounds nice too.

Are you still talking about 2570p or x220?
x220 AFAIK doesn't require bios mod, or at least it depends on the converter board.
2570p doesn't require any bios mods. It's just a matter of fitting right panel into this tight screen section and finding the proper cable.

Disregard all that shit, I though you were replying to the part about asking for the bios mod for my t430s. But the 2570p doesn't need a converter board though?

it does. It uses same single-line lvds standard as x220/x230/t420/t430
but ffs user, why would you want a higher resolution on 12,5" screen? I do understand changing the screen to proper IPS, but 1080p? For what reason?

R E T R O
G
B

I have great eyesight, 1080 at that size is perfect for me. Any more and I do need scaling, but 1080 gives me the perfect amount of workspace at that size.

>Want to buy a new laptop before I go abroad
I guarantee I'm going to buy the T470 and the T4** line is going to recieve a huge game changing upgrade
Or even worse, the X280 gets Thunderbolt 3

am i in the right /tpg/

yeah some kind of protector to guard the panel behind it. Instead of making the surface uneven with sweat and continuous usage, you just screw up the sticker which can be replaced. The sticker is pain in the ass though. Absolutely horrible friction due to rubbery coating

Depends what it's on

Haahahah that would suck balls.
My refurb X1C3 depreciated $300 when I had to sell it 4 months later.

Yes, welcome, bringer of dubs. HH

why do you need vs to runn left4dead?

I wouldn't even know how to sell it in the country I'm going to and there's no way I would sent it back home and have my parents send it to the buyer because it would get lost
When are Thinkpad refreshed? December?

can i run anything good with the default nvidia 2000m?

That's a GeForce 460 so it'll "run" basically anything in the world

Run what? Gayms? Video rendering software?

But thats not libreboot compatible.

vidya, yeah
but then again >buying a thinkpad for vidya

Thinkpads with Ryzen APU's when?

God, use iGPU or eGPU. Play libre gayms only. This includes supertuxcart and other autism soft like that. THose proprietary gaems are for no good unless they run vulkan.

thank you! this worked for me

Look, just do to wikipedia and see the pure processing power of the GPU and this tactic in future from doing stupid questions like these.

For example, Quadro M2000m has 1.4TFLOPS of processing power. This is right about the equivalence of GTX750. Can you do a whole lot with a GTX750? Do note that M2000m has 4gb vRAM. Note that your CPU may or may not bottleneck.

Do you use thinkpads exclusively or do you have a desktop computer as well?

I'm considering buying a new thinkpad to replace my desktop. I'm going to use it for games. As in several hour sessions.
Out of 10 how bad of an idea is that in terms of killing the lifespan. Assuming it iwll be plugged in when playin games if that matters

Hey guys which thinkpad tablet should I use for school? I need it for taking notes and doing hand-written math problems.

The question is "what games"

Because if you're playing Minecraft, TF2, LoL, DOTA, Skyrim or Starcraft 2 like everybody in the world they'll run on pretty much anything without much stress.