tuhs.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

macOS = unix = good
linux = not unix = sh*t
hope this helps

>x=y=good
>z=not y = shit
not really

one is the real thing, the other is just a clone. this, supposedly makes the "real thing" better, but in my opinion it really comes down to personal preference.

why would it be better, Linux has replaced Unix in every use-case

you have to pay to call your operating system "unix" but otherwise everything is the same

i did not said one is better than another, i;m just curious why /g is so much praising Unix

they are basically attention whores running an exotic os to distinguish themselves

they're usually referring to macOS when they say that.
>more "professional" software
again, it just boils down to preference.

It isn't.
UNIX is a proprietary OS that has nothing to do with Linux and is basically defunct.

does anyone even still develop software for "unix?"

Slightly easier to spell.

ignore macos what about bsd? does it have anything that linux has not? may be at least for server usage? stability? security?

Yes

but x != y

It's better in its niche of big iron enterprise systems.
I like Linux a bit more, though, because it's infinitely more flexible and allows you to do crazy shit you might need one day when fixing something.

FreeBSD doesn't even have ASLR

FreeBSD has the best logo. That's about it.

y = good
~y = shit

OSX isn't UNIX and neither is BSD.

then which one is unix?

Unix

>OSX isn't UNIX and neither is BSD.
[citation needed]

UNIX (Unix according to wishes of dmr) is dead. The last 10th edition was released in '89, while most Unix-like systems are based on the 7th edition from '79.

What you have to understand is that Unix was started for fun and its main purpose during its life was research. Sure, since the source code was for sale, the system spread far and wide but the true Unix from Bell Labs was research system.

After 10th edition, the Bell Labs people decided to throw away all the cruft accumulated during 20 years and start again on a clean base. And so Plan 9 was born - more Unix than Unix.

Thus ends the history lesson.

P.S.: Unix has been open-sourced for educational purposes: tuhs.org/

it looks that someone skipped his math classes.

Ironically, Linux today follows this better than ANY surviving unix descendant.

OSX is just BSD (also not unix) frankensteined with bolted together bits of code and bandaid on top of bandaid pile of shit.

BSD is non-proprietary Unix.

Considering Linux is a subset of Unix, yes.

We're talking about Unix, not UNIX.

Except systemd, of course.

>Ironically, Linux today follows this better than ANY surviving unix descendant.
Yeah maybe if you mean Linux without GNU. GNU is ridiculously bloated, not Unix-like at all.

>tfw android open source project follows the unix philosophy best

Every version since Mac OS X 10.5 on Intel has been UNIX certified.

>a piece of paper is more important than actual code

Mactoddlerism.

Enjoy a worthless piece of paper that won't make macOS any less terrible.

It's certification that OS X complies with thousands of pages of standards.

>look at all the shitty hackjobs i added to my memeOS and layered on top of macos9 and hfs

I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying it's UNIX.

Also OS X isn't based on Mac OS, it's based on NeXTSTEP and FreeBSD.

>4.4BSD-Lite contained no AT&T source
Which presumably means the AT&T source was replaced with new BSD code, which is still Unix. So it basically has no bearing on whether MacOS is Unix or not.

>t. mactoddler

>in a copyright sense
We're talking about Unix code, not your silly made-up social constructs.

>We're talking about Unix code

You're talking about some shitty meaningless piece of paper that doesn't mean shit.

WE are talking about code.

>You're talking about some shitty meaningless piece of paper that doesn't mean shit.
No, I'm not. is.

>GNU is ridiculously bloated
Because it follows unix philosophy of do one thing and do it well while being a user friendly piece of software.

when MUH UNEX shell utilities on *BSD or whatever give you a fucking error code and tell you to fuck off, the GNU equivalent explains in plain language what the error was so you don't have to learn to recite every single manpage on the planet backwards. Sane error handling is one of the reasons why GNU shit is always superior to non-GNU counterparts despite being puffier than the rest.

GNU is a free and open source clone of Unix. Linux is the kernel. It's better because nobody uses Unix anymore.