What goes on here?

As an American I know all about the history of Western Europe, but I know practically nothing about the history, politics, or culture of the Balkans.

It's a huge gap in my knowledge.
What goes on there?
What are the people like?
What is the history?
What is the land like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M2rTafbQepg
bs.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendum_o_nezavisnosti_Bosne_i_Hercegovine
youtube.com/watch?v=ssZRctTmzow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shit
shit
cucked
poor

A lot of butthurt

You'd probably find a more informative answer on Wikipedia

They remove kebab, top lads

>Wikipedia
>informative

gypsies

Ok let me ask you this as a Serbian

Why are there so many little countries down there? Why did you never unify?
Is every country ethnically distinct?

Lots of sandniggered polish slavs and gypsies

It's shit

>Albanidumbs

Turkified christians

>Why did you never unify?
>American education

Constant invasions and migrations. Serbs are prob the only real slav country there

read some books
but real books not false bbc propaganda

Germany used to be made up of lots of warring little states as well, but they unified into a greater German state which instantly came to predominate Europe

Wikipedia is definitely more informative than Sup Forums

He's pointing out the fact they did unify as Yugoslavia.

Alright then, so what happened?

read a fucking book

We'll tell you what really matters.

It fucked

are you 12? don't you remember that little country you bombed in the 90s? yeah, that's it

First time around Hitler happened.
Second time around you happened.

Like I said it's a gap in my education.
I've heard a little bit about it though

Why did we destroy Yugoslavia? Was there a point to doing that?

I just came to laugh at you

Cosmin, please.

go to and ask for book recs. I want to know more about this region too but the dummies here have nothing interesting to say.

Clusterfuck of people who hate each others and want to engage in mutual slaughter, which they do every now and then.

During the last handball world cup semi-finals between Croatia and Serbia (which was hold in Serbia), they had to put 1500 full-gear anti-riot police forces in the stadium to protect 500 Croats, + 2000 other ones outside the stadium.

/his/ will tell me the official history I can read in any book, I want to get the story from the actual people what really happened

Read Mein Kampf by Bogdan Hitlevic

>Cosmin

>I want to get the story from the actual people what really happened

they'll just give you bullshit, as evidenced in this thread

topkek Romania stole ur clay

>make a shit thread
>get shit answers

Seriously though, Americans aren't taught anything about the Balkans in school
Nor do we ever hear about them in TV or in movies. It's like a total blank spot on the map

cause 3/4 of american education is jacking off over george washington and 1/4 of it is learning about how america won WW2. Everything outside of Western Europe is a total fucking blank spot for americans.

You know, 99% of people don't know we exist/can't locate us on a map, it's like we're a island country in the middle of the ocean or something and that makes me happy.

Not really though, we learn about ancient China, and Africa, and a lot about the Middle East (which is also in the news a lot).
And of course we learn about the native Americans and South Americans that met with the colonials

Basically the only thing I know about the Balkans is that it's a clusterfuck of poor countries above Greece

Ok here we go.Tito died,serbs wanted a centralized government,country's started backing out,they declared war on us and croatia,fighting,you bombed them (thank you),and now it's pretty much a shit hole here.

Ok so why did they defect? Was the government corrupt?

Is it because there's an ethnic difference?

>(thank you)
youtube.com/watch?v=M2rTafbQepg

>because my school was terrible, all schools are terrible

>American
>I know all about the history of Western Europe
Sure

>Is it because there's an ethnic difference
Yes.The parliament was basically all serbs and they wanted to make "gr8 serbia" people saw this and wanted no part of it

No, you declared independence without constitutional right to do so.. Thats how war had started

What is life like in Bosnia?

Can someone explain to me why are balkagypsies still considered slavs!!!!?

Because they speak Slavic languages.

>implying the average American can locate China, the Middle east or Africa on a map.
Top joke

Military was mostly on serbish soil and they went around slaughtering bosniaks or somthin.

>Why are speakers of X linguistic group considered X

But my guess is, it was just an excuse to bomb a country.

We had the right to back out any time we wanted we even held a vote.

a "vote". Sure boyo

Meh slower then a western life stile and less worrying

They had old feuds mostly originated from religious differences. When their charismatic leader died there was nothing to keep the radicals in check. They started a civil war and Serbs seriously started to kill civilians. Even today some serb commanders leaders are prosecuted for massacre or genocides. Nato intervened.

are inaccurate maps of the Ottoman Empire some sort of meme?

This one seems the most accurate. Why?

>serv education
bs.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendum_o_nezavisnosti_Bosne_i_Hercegovine

Over the years, my lust radar has drastically shifted from titties towards ass. It worked its way down to waist, then hips, but now it's all about that plump backside

Thoughts?

Seemingly, but it overextends the empire into Burgenland, Provincial Croatia, Styria. We wuz never under you.

You overshot the target just a little, m8. Hips are the key.
But to produce truly high-tier hips, they must work in concert with the waist, the ass, the thighs. The ideal booty is only one part of a greater, glorious whole.

>bs.wikipedia
kek
What part of word "unconstitutional" you dont understand?

Quick guide to Balkans:

Albanians: They're the good guys. Albania has one of the most ancient cultures in the world. They descended from Illyrians who were ancient Balkans. They're bros with the US.

Serbs: They're the bad guys. Serbs were originally exiled criminals from Russia who invaded the Balkans. The name Serb is non-Slavic, its origin is Latin "Servia" derived from servus which means slave. Serbs are pathological liars and warmongers.

Bulgarians/Macedonians: Bulgarians are steppe nomads from Asia. They're lazy peasants and you often observe them defecating on the streets. Very unpleasant people, avoid them if you can.

I know this is true, but the fixation is inevitable. I can't work against myself. Oxytocin, dopamine, adrenaline, serotonin and what have you. They just rush in like a flooding river rushes a broken dam

>drzavni pecat
>odobrila drzava
Slabe ti meme

Shqiptar diaspora?

>Not of slavic origin

Literally irrelevant fact

Everyone in the Balkans is of partly Slavic origin, even Albanians and Greeks. The extent and duration of the early Slavic conquests is naturally downplayed by historians from those two countries, and Romania, which is why the etymological and textual evidence is not fully synthesized to show a historical picture where the Slavic logboats literally reached every last Greek island and Albanian high plain, spilling over into coastal Anatolia.

It's a clusterfuck of peoples.

Languages spoken there are from three different families:
*Indo-European
__Slavic: Bulgarian; Serbo-Croatian; Slovenian
__Romance: Romanian; some clusters of Venetian speakers; Dalmatian in older times.
__Albanian: isolated branch. Guess the language.
**Hellenic: ditto. Only Greek there.
*Turkic: Turkish, mainly in Bulgaria.
*Finno-Ugric: Hungarian.

Did I forget anyone? If yes, butthurt ensues.

Religions: Muslims, Orthodox Christian, Roman Christian. Roumania has a small cluster of Protestants too.

Mi smo bili Iliri i sranje

Corruption an poverty to some degree, but it's not as bad as you would think. Not a shithole, not a first world country really. But we usually don't get much attention from outside and as a Bulgarian neighbor said here, this is a nice thing. We can spend time dealing with our shit instead of having to deal with outside problems. This is one of the main reasons I want my country to leave EU, just as I hope UK is gonna do, but I have nationalistic views. We're just average people trying our best to improve, but he have a lot of problems, not major problems, but there's a lot of them. Also, Romania is really beautiful, really nice to see.

Romance: Aromanian as well as Romanian
Slavic: small groups of Slovaks in Serbia, Czechs in Croatia
Turkish: Gagauz in Romania and Bulgaria
Religions: some thousands of Protestants in Serbia and Slovenia (Pannonian part only)

They eat polenta-like recipes too, with their own names: mamaliga, kuymak. It still boils down to "boil corn meal with water until you have a porridge".

The only musician I know from the region is Bregović (Bosniak):
youtube.com/watch?v=ssZRctTmzow
(Ignore the singer, she's Polish. Focus on the instrumental one. And if you speak Italian, do NOT watch him singing Bella Ciao unless you like to rage.)

I added Romanian... but thanks for mentioning the others.

Kajmak is not a cornmeal dish, it's a sort of skimmed milk.

Other names for cornmeal dishes include polenta, pura and žganci.

We like to eat our own shit...

Aromanians and Romanians are like Slovenes and Slovaks - not the same people. Aromanians live in Greece.

Also, Bregović is a Bosnian Serb and Serbian nationalist and not Bosniak at all (Bosniaks bear Arabic names). You know a lot about the region and I'm just being pedantic. I don't intend to disprove your every post, just posting small corrections.

You went to a shit school. Sorry m8. You're fucked for life.

>What goes on there?

Partying 24/7,

>What are the people like?

Awesome, educated, hard-working, pacifist.

>What is the history?

Uneventful.

>What is the land like?

We have like soil, rivers, hills, mountains and seas.

I checked the recipe for kuymak, mate. Cornmeal, cheese, butter. It's just a polenta where the cheese is added beforehand instead of as a topping, and plus butter, and hnnnng ensuing.

Even if you're being pedantic, you're adding lots of info, so thank you regardless.

The threat of nato is only reason why the countries are not genociding each other even more.

Seriously....There isn't civility in the Balkans they're miserable siblings who only live to kill one another.

Oh I love those!!! This is my favorite, look at freaking iceland

In fact here they are 330k acc. to the last census. I assume the other numbers won't add up either. But there are countries with gyppos as ministers so who am I to question inhabitants of those countries.

btw, yes

>Why did you never unify?

War and genocide. Also removing kebab. The US got involved in bombing campaigns in Serbia.

History wise, read first on ancient Greece, if you want more modern history read up on Bulgarian history as it is the richest in the modern ones 'AD'

we are not part of the Balkans you stupid american reeeeeeeeeee

but you are h u n g r y for the balkans ha ha ha

What is the history of Bulgaria?

Are you proud of your history?

It's pretty big, but yes for example we created the Cyrillic alphabet and managed to get to three seas and conquer a lot of the balkans, probably the most relevant country after Ancient Greece.