That kid who took japanese class in highschool

>that kid who took japanese class in highschool

>his highschool offered japanese classes

French German Spanish and Japanese
German was the least popular

this

you picked French, Spanish or German or some BS culture class that would force you to take 2nd language classes in college.

my highschool had weaboos with fucking naruto headbands in public though

>that kid who took english clasd in high school

you people have no future, who wonders?

please buy our beef and lamb

>not learning French

My high school had Spanish, French, Italian, Latin, Japanese, and I think Mandarin Chinese

we didn't have japanese

but I still know who "that kid" is

>mfw only had spanish and ******************french*****************************

mine only had French but the teacher was a bitch so most people dropped out

Take it you retartet fuck

>Your old highschools language class choices were either
>honhonhon Eiffle Tower Baguette
or
>Mandarin ching chong bing bong
It's like my highschool was supposed to be in Canada

>Study both Japanese and German
>Japanese because I wanted to learn how to read those mysterious moonrunes, German because it's "more useful" and I'll have a better chance at reaching fluency at it than Japanese
>End up using Japanese more than German, because Japanese can't into engurish, but almost every German I've ever talked to is better at English than I am at German
Gee, who could have foreseen this? At this point, I might just drop German and focus on Japanese since it's the language I've gotten the most utility out of, but I really like the aesthetic of the German language. Japanese is fun to read, but German is fun to speak.

We had Spanish, French, Chinese, German, and Japanese

Everyone did Spanish except the chinks did Chinese and. Sun chinks + weebs did Japanese

Is Russian and Persian not so common in your quontrij?

macleans?

He moved to Japan thinking his love of anime and jap shit would make him a god there..... turns out he is as useless and outcast as he was at home.

schools didnt teach mandarin here, zhang.
french
spanish
japanese
german

Fuck mate that's spooky, yeah

Now you have to meet up and fuck.

>schools didnt teach mandarin here, zhang
They should start, gotta prepare for the yellow invasion, it's already begun friend.

I brush my teeth with that, should i be scared?

You HAD to do French or German in my school for 3 years and the school decided what you did
I ended up doing 3 years of German, and a year of French at the same time as I did German. Doesn't really matter though, because I didn't give a shit and I know almost nothing of either language now

I might pick up German, French, Spanish or Russian as an elective at university along side what I'm doing now (Chinese)

When us language students meet every now and then, the people studying Japanese seem the weirdest

>that kid who took gun dodging slum running classes

Persian aka Ottoman aka Turkey now took modern Greece from a Latin country to a Turkish one, Ottoman conquering byzantine and greece etc.

very

We all did, whats your point?

>that kid who took Spanish because it will help him get a job.

I thought Spanish was a mandatory subject in US high-schools?

LOL no. Taking a language is but you get to choose. But every schools offers Spanish and French. Most offer German, Latin, Japanese too. Chinese is getting popular in private schools.

why would they teach a language everyone already knows?

I'm a brit but Chinese seems to be becoming more popular in schools too

we only had spanish and german ;_;

99% of kids i knew took spanish for a year or two then forgets about it

in college it's practically a mandatory filler class that you never use outside in the world unless you're a cuck

>that one scrawny kid who acts like the protagonist of the newest popular anime series and doesn't understand why it's not helping him get chicks.

My school only offered French.

I am not upset about that though, it is the best language after all.

It was a choice to take a language in my school, but they highly recommended taking 2 years if you go to college.

Gotta have the white minority learn the local language, the Chinese get angry when people dont assimilate.

>Japanese
>German
>French
I have no idea why they included a language as useless as Japanese, the language of one of the most irrelevant and shut off countries in the world. They could have just replaced it with Mandarin or Spanish.

jelly? why do you guys hate weebs so much

>tfw my school had mandatory Chinese and Japanese classes
I graduated from a high school in Korea. Went here for uni like 8 years ago and still living here with my H1b

my high school was shit, the only language course that I had was english, with a cunt who can barely speak at it.

>that one kid who always ran with their hands stretched back like Naruto.

Nothing necessary wrong with liking anime or having an interest in foreign culture/language
But weebs are pretty much always extremely autistic.

I know we hate weebs and all, but Japanese is the language of a major economically developed nation with over 100 million native speakers (and mostly monolingual at that). It's still a highly sought-after language in the business and diplomacy world and not even regarding anime and manga, there are mountains of Japanese-language media.
For an American, there are literally only two useful languages: English and Spanish. Every other language after that is equally useless. If you learned French or German, what would you do with it that you can't do with Japanese? Hell, most French and Germans speakers speak English anyway, unlike the Japanese.

t. somebody who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese but is ever perplexed by this "useful language" meme

Nice flag.

>He actually took spanish seriously in HS and college.

We only had French Spanish and German and the teachers were so shit they just talked about the one time they lived in France for a year. I took fucking 3 years of French and the most I got out of it was "je voudrais un baguette s'il vous plait"

>tfw you took spanish

i forgot what i learned

>un baguette
>un

My school only offered english. Those who were shit at english remained shit, and those who could speak it well didnt learn anything new. Having american/canadian/british teachers didnt help at all

>went to a shitty school in podunk town
>the only foreign language offered was Spanish
>state requires two years of a foreign language to graduate
>teachers were shit, didn't know how to teach
>did well in class but learned almost nothing
>never got the chance to learn something other than fucking Spanish
>don't remember any Spanish since I never used it

Could be worse I guess.

Entonces usted ya no habla español, mi buen amigo? Déjeme dicirle que es una verdadera lástima

>i was that kid

konichiwa

>that kid who took spanish
>that kid who couldn't bother to learn it and just added o and a to french words
>bonjouro

>was in japanese class for high school
>dropped out before Year 12
Best decision I ever made, teacher was a useless piece of shit

>His White country has a fuckton of Chinese immigrants and very few Japanese residents
>But his high school offers Japanese and no Mandarin

I want to watch Wan Piss without subs and teach Engrish in Japan desu~

>tfw took french to get at the french qties
>tfw didnt bother to learn it properly

>His White country has a fuckton of Chinese immigrants but very few Japanese residents
>His high school doesn't offer Mandarin but does teach Japanese

I want to watch Wan Piss without subs and teach Engrish in Japan desu~

>school only offers English
>the teacher is some deported chicano who can't stop saying ese at the end of every sentence

I thought Chicanos were born Americans. Why did he get deported?

Stand and deliver?

Nunca he visto una situación que puedo utilizarlo.

>his high school teaches languages other than his native tounge and english.

>living in a country where you first language isnt english

>that one kid who wore a naruto headband

you are a retard and your country's english sounds like ass
> but is ever perplexed by this "useful language" meme
it's a meme for idiots who want to find an excuse for their lazyness and ignorance

I don't I just made this thread because I wanted to post that dog

>classes
>not learning from the internet

>school had Spanish, French, and German
>only the German teachers gave a shit
I took a year of French and two of German. Our German teachers were actually really nice and helpful, they were both native speakers from the Midwest and loved when we asked about things like doch
French teacher could barely speak it herself. I don't even want to know what sort of shit the Spanish kids went through

We only had French and German dude.

What fuckery did your high school play?

>took French because I already spoke it

wew

>El gato rato eerr natto

Retards are fun.

That's what was hilarious. I already spoke French and my teacher was just an enthusiast. Her "star student" knew even less but I got an A.

I mean, you can't let them know that your grandmother lived three doors down from you and spoke it all day right?

I even brought Italian bread on "bring French food day" and was like "UHHH I didn't know sorry."

>enthusiasts
That's kind of the problem. They always hire people who are trained to be teachers, not to teach a specific language

>bring French food to school day
God, I forgot how bullshit those classes were. We'd dedicate entire class days to "culture", which of course just meant falling asleep while the teacher played videos about old paintings and castles
The German teachers made us learn new vocab words to tie into those at least but I think those were a mandated thing. The heritage day was fun though, after we learned family vocabulary they made us talk about our German relatives in German in front of the class

Fuck that, we got to watch videos from Asterix and Obelix. Hell yeah, all day Ms. Mathews.

>people who took classes in high school or college and never got anywhere because they never studied or used the language outside of what was mandatory for class
>these people go on to believe that language learning is some ultra complex thing and they only recommend tutors and overpriced courses
>these are the people giving estimates that learning spanish or french will take 5-7 years and spewing bullshit advice all over language learning sites
God bless the American education system for producing this cancer.

>that kid in German class who just misspelled English words when they didn't know the answer
The teacher had to put up a fucking notice about it
Was simultaneously hilarious and awful

I can't stand the people who say that learning a new language is too hard. There's tons of European languages that take fuck all effort to learn and two are already pushed hard on us
They'd have a point if they were talking about Mandarin or Arabic, but they always apply it to all languages as if they're all equally impossible
Fuck you lazy assholes, it's literally just having the willpower to do a bit each day and digest what you've learned. Christ, as if Anglophones didn't have a bad enough reputation already

Oh and-

>be in middle school taking french
>kids are freaking out because people kiss each other on the cheek in France

Yeah, because that it one step away from mouth-fucking them right?

It was so goddamn stupid. That's a social etiquette that was totally glazed-over. Now it's kind of normal in American high-society.

I mean, I speak french and understand the culture, but I was born in the US. Sure, I'd do it for my grandmother or mother but fuck you if I'm playing the bacteria-mouth game with you.

Never saw anything bad happen in regards to social or cultural customs, it was just a really depressing class since so fucking little was accomplished there
But then, we never said anything about any form of kissing in ours. I'm sure someone would have sourced out if we had.

well, to be fair. Working towards genuine fluency in French as your first language will probably take around 5 years without any immersion. This due to the pain in the balls that is understanding normal spoken French. Find a movie that isn't super mainstream where they don't normalize the accent and try to understand it all the way through. Fuck, took me 5 years to get to that level and I still have trouble with it from time to time. So much slang, so many accents, and they speak so damned fast and cut out portions of words.
I'm saying this as the person who could speak and comprehend the best in Uni and I wasn't even a French major or minor, but took advanced classes in the subject.

>not wanting to be able to describe to Pablo how you want your hedges

Yeah, native fluency is a long term goal for sure. But people perceive it as the ONLY goal. Nobody ever considers getting to conversational level or focusing on their reading skill. It's like everyone thinks if you're not a perfect speaker on the same level as natives, then why even bother?
Then they get discouraged after a week and quit. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure and these "LEARN FLUENT JAPANESE IN 36 HOURS" fucks are encouraging it and making it worse

You need immersion/native speaker conversation and or a ton of listening practice to get past that roadblock, and I don't disagree that it's a huge barrier to complete fluency. There is a similar barrier I hear from many people when they begin reading literature and complex writing, manifested in different ways. But from what I've seen people attempt to tackle this first instead of last. Lots of new sites and methods coming out asking people to start speaking and listening from day one, which isn't necessarily bad but these courses often neglect bookwork, grammar study, vocabulary memorization and things like that which are usually associated with, "Old school" language learning. People need to be told confidently that hard study will actually work for them.

Why are language teachers so comfy? Did two years of spanish and filipino all we ever did was watch movies. Spanish teacher would let us do paper mache masks every class and the filipino teacher always talked about the latest handbag her husband bought her.

>learned more spanish working in a dish pit than in highschool

america man

I wish I had japanese classes.
Instead I had russian.
non-stem faggots had french - suits them fags well

>his school offered more than one foreign language
Fuck off richfags

of course its a step by step process, but I suppose I've always had an extra rigorous notion of fluency and never thought of fluency as having degrees of such.
>fluent in japanese in 36 hours
Oh lawdy, with dem moonrunes thats fucking retarded.
Just attacking the notion that it's ridiculous that you need 5-7 years to be fluent in french. Spanish? sure, it's a much easier language to understand. French however is ballbreakingly difficult to get used to for comprehension for native speakers. As well, actually developing a decent accent never seems to be a priority for americans which makes for god awful speaking.
But yeah, it's a step by step process where you have to build it organically and systemically. eg, figuring out all the names of stuff in your home, but as well being able to utilize verbs properly to describe them and getting down the grammar order for it.

Sorry about that, I was pretty pissed when I typed that out but I think you got the gist of what I was trying to say.
A lot of people don't set realistic goals for themselves when they try to learn a new language and end up failing because of it. They either truly think they can become native-level fluent in a year or it'll take them a decade to start having conversations in Spanish.
One gives up when they realize it's not that easy and one never tries to begin with.
That and people don't realize you need to practice it daily. No, it doesn't matter if you spoke solely in French for 12 hours yesterday, you still need to at least read a sentence of it today.

>Oh lawdy, with dem moonrunes thats fucking retarded.
Those high-speed language learning things always seem geared towards Japanese, occasionally Chinese or Spanish. Which is just cruel to the poor, most-likely weebs

I said french lazily because it's considered "easy" by most official metrics but in hindsight there's more nuance to specific languages than they tend to let on. I am also using fluency loosely, working proficiency would be more appropriate.

>that kid who took German because NAZIS
>that weeb kid who took Japanese to read manga

French is easy to get used to on paper and to develop conversational french when speaking with someone who will slow down since they know you're american.
For conversing normally like a french person and to understand all french media, I'd say it's quite difficult. Even for getting normal speech patterns down rather than french spoken like an English speaker, it's a lot more nuanced than people expect.

English aka german aka nazi reich

I learned sanskrit in indian equivalent of middle school

>go to only highschool in region that does Japanese classes
>get all the weaboos in a 100km radius

>only spanish and latin offered in high school
studied spanish for 4 years
>took japanese classes in college
over time for got both languages becasue i never used it or interacted with people that spoke it