Does Americans speak something that isn't English?

Does Americans speak something that isn't English?
Don't you learn another language in school?

Other urls found in this thread:

gallup.com/poll/1825/about-one-four-americans-can-hold-conversation-second-language.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They learn Spanish, since it's going to be replacing English in the US in a short while

I heard lots of them take Spanish, but they never really learn a lot, before blaming them I'd blame the teachers who are most likely to be shit sudaca teachers.

Here we learn Spanish too, but nobody gives a fuck and no one speak Spanish here.

>sudaca

Sudanese? The fuck, bro?

it is a perspective way to call South americans. An insult, in orther words.

Americans are required to take two years of a foreign language in high school or Uni.
We just never end up using it so we always forget it.

when in Orlando and NY everyone spoke in Spanish among themselves.

We learn German, French and Spanish, mostly. Nerds take Latin, Greek and sometimes Russian.
We don't speak it because there's no purpose, and by the time we graduate college we forget what little we learned. My father speaks fluid French though, but I know a select few phrases.

My Spanish teacher for high school was a Veneuzuelan who didn't know English. You'd be right.

>An insult

What, why?

What about you, Sup Forums? Here we learn English and Spanish, but nobody learn anything and everyone who wants to speak another language go to a private school to learn it.
Thank you by the information.

Not really outside of the languages you speak at home. I took Spanish but paid no attention and still got an A

I speak Brezhoneg at home, so That is really the only other language other than English I speak

...and it's useless.

Sudor=Sweat
Caca=Shit
Sudor+caca= Sudaca
It is a racist insult. We use this insult for all south americans.

>Does Americans speak something that isn't English?
The only bilingual Americans are wetbacks. Sometimes Spanish is all you hear in the streets of southern border states.

Language classes in school are a joke. They suck at teaching English too.

We're required to take at least 2 years of a foreign language in high school. I think it's a bad idea, since people are best at learning languages as a child.

>The only bilingual Americans are wetbacks.
>Euro-american immigrants still don't exist to these people
sadfeels.

Ich chelebein susta be clair

Aren't you capable of understanding the language without learning it anyway?

gallup.com/poll/1825/about-one-four-americans-can-hold-conversation-second-language.aspx

why is french so high?

We also have a requirement of at least one foreign language throughout entire school. It's usually English, very rarely German or French. In Soviet times German was the dominant language, so older generations learned it.
Some schools teach a second language, in my case it was German. But just like said I quickly forgot everything without any kind of practice.
Even with English, I'd say I learned more from watching TV, playing videogames or shitposting here than from my school years.

French-speakers near Quebec and in Louisiana, also French-speaking immigrants from Europe, Africa and Latin America.

Good schools do so overall not many American schools.

it's a meme in America that knowing French gets you laid

Some speak mexican

>Does Americans speak something that isn't English?

Why?

There is no real reason too other than some elitist notion that you should know more than 1 language.

Pretty much every school offers Spanish and French

Most schools offer German and/or Italian

Thing is, we don't start language education until 9th grade (14-15 years old), so after four years of light education of a foreign language you don't end up with too much of it.

I took four years of Spanish and I can just read the newspaper in Spanish, can't form a sentence anymore. My teacher wasn't even fluent and most people in my class were only taking it because taking a foreign language looks good in college apps, not too many people were seriously interested in learning another language.

We do have optional language classes (generally Spanish, French, and/or German) in High School (and occasionally Middle School), but even people who take them usually end up forgetting most of what they learn because they're almost never necessary and never get used.

I guess you could say it's Anglo privilege, never having to learn a second language.

Did you study in a public school?

No, private. I actually got a good secondary education aside from foreign language.

My brother ended up going to public and it's the same thing.

Many Americans speak another language. I imagine high school is where exposure to other languages occurs most for Americans. The middle school I attended offered two years of Spanish. The high school I attended, which was close enough to share a library with the middle school, offered Spanish, French, and Latin. Apparently, it has offered other languages in the paste, and its online program offered other languages as well. Every person who had any intention of graduating had to take two years of a language.

How was the teaching?

Teaching for foreign language? I dont have anything to compare it by. We did all the grammar/conjugation and learned a lot of vocab.

I think that the two main failures of language education here is that it doesn't start at a young enough age, and it doesn't focus on speaking and listening at all, just reading and writing.

>WHY don't Americans learn languages that are less important than English
You're in Brazil posting in an international forum where the de Facto language is English. Learning a second language is only worth it if it's a more "relevant language", so every latino there speaks english so Americans don't have to learn spanish.
I'm bilingual in English and Spanish, can pass off Portugeuse decently, and took mandatory french courses, but still only need english to live.

Checked dubs and privilege