Who are considered 'Heroes' in your country?

Who are considered 'Heroes' in your country?

Lord Nelson is definitely one that comes to mind for Britain.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominoe
youtube.com/watch?v=1iuKR1dv9U0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Turenne is by far my favorite.
But I believe that all the Marshals of the Empire can be considered heroes

He holded out alone against german divisions during World War 1, while protecting a retreat.

all the fighter aces
Mannerheim
Larry Thorne

leftists even liked Hasse Wind(75 aerial victories) after the war because he always campained with the youth movements at the time,even with punk rockers in 80:s
nice guy,i personally met him when i was a small kid,my dad knew him and he was a family friend

he always bragged about his Erich Hartmann signature he got in the gathering of eagles in US

pic related

Washington. He defeated the British and was elected president. Lots of people wanted him to have king-like authority, but he chose not to abuse it and intentionally did very little. He created the two term limit and warned political parties would take over and rule the country.

Nelson is based as fuck

A Canadian hero I like a lot is General Sir Aurthur William Currie. As a senior officer during WWI he played a large role in both Canada and the overall Entente's success. It was his strategy to combine British and French tactics that allowed the Entente to turn the tides and withstand the German summer offensive.
He was tasked by the British command with finding out exactly what had gone wrong during the battles of 1916 and making sure it never happened again, he did his job perfectly.

Nominoe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominoe

>American education

F.D.R. helped create the 2 term limit during his 4th term as President, 146 years after Washington died. Washington was a badass though.

FDR broke the 2 term limit by getting elected 4 fucking times. He also tried to expand the Supreme Court to like 17 justices so he could pick 10 justices that would agree with whatever he wanted to do because the Supreme Court kept ruling his shit unconstitutional. Washington never made it a law or anything, but he set it as a precedent and recommended it. Also
>Canadians being versed in American history

Taira no Masakado the new emperor

It wasn't a limit until after FDR's 4th term. Which is exactly what I said. A recommendation or common occurrence is not the same thing as a limit
Yeah, most people are usually better at US history than Americans.

Why ?

youtube.com/watch?v=1iuKR1dv9U0

Richard literally did nothing wrong at all.

He resisted shit tier bureaucrats

Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar, aka El Cid Campeador. Medieval badass.

Also Don Pelayo. Both of them were heroes of La Reconquista agaisnt the moors

The one and only

Thought he went nuts

nobody could sport such an aerodynamic hairstyle as well as him

Real nuts, ye. Also ended up beheaded, if I'm not mistaken

Although that's a fair point, I guess

Michael Collins, Padraig Pearse (the most notable of the leaders of 1916), Wolfe Tone

He was a proto-communist asshole.

Do french people actually think this guy is a hero? A guy beheading everybody and advocating State Terrorism?

Bolesław Chrobry
Jan III Sobieski
Tadeusz Kościuszko
Józef Piłsudski

Didn't the French people behead him? Also, wasn't it his government that first supported Napolean's rise then turned against him and forced him back to Corsica where he could lose a Civil War? That's like the shittiest possible French hero
>Vive le roi de france pêh

Parisians love him for some reasons.

William of Orange (16th century, started war against Spain and laid foundation of country)
Michiel de Ruyter (17th century admiral)
Piet Hein (17th century admiral, stole silver from Spain)

No real heroes after that. The Dutch don't like idiolising people.

I don't see how ending the Girondine Convention was a bad idea.

>A guy beheading everybody
>everybody
Come on

>advocating State Terrorism?
He didn't. He was forced to set up a very hard politic considering the situation

>Also, wasn't it his government that first supported Napolean's rise then turned against him and forced him back to Corsica where he could lose a Civil War? That's like the shittiest possible French hero
The fuck are you talking about ?

well you should know our greatest Hero pf all times

>He didn't behead everyone

The death toll ranged in the tens of thousands, with 16,594 executed by guillotine (2,639 in Paris),[2] and another 25,000 in summary executions across France.[3]

This happened in less than a year.

>He didn't advocate State Terrorism

Right.

"Terror is nothing but prompt, severe, inflexible justice; it is therefore an emanation of virtue. It is less a special principle than a consequence of the general principle of democracy applied to our country's most pressing needs."

t. Robespierre

Now you're just trolling.

what about Great Fred??

Timo Soini

Voted as the greatest Finn in history. He saved Finland from a leftist government and benched 2 tons after his party won the majority of Parliament.

Truly a great man

You have the white death and you pick him?

Michael Collins. Irish military leader during the War of Independence. We don't really have a lot of heroes to choose from unfortunately. Even Collins is divisive

The problem here is that you're trying to give FDR credit for cementing the 2-term rule, when all he did was break it and make people think they shouldn't let that happen again. The person who breaks a rule does not get credit for the rule being enforced.
And no, most people do not know more about our history than us, you're trying to force the memes.

>The death toll ranged in the tens of thousands, with 16,594 executed by guillotine (2,639 in Paris),[2] and another 25,000 in summary executions across France.[3]
But Robespierre is obviously not responsible for all these deaths. Seriously, he wasn't alone in the Committee of Public Safety. Plus you must take in consideration the situation of France at the time, all the great European powers were destroying a disorganized French army, you cannot expect both Committes to just sit around a table and discuss calmly.

>"Terror is nothing but prompt, severe, inflexible justice; it is therefore an emanation of virtue. It is less a special principle than a consequence of the general principle of democracy applied to our country's most pressing needs."
You do understand that what he considered "Terror" and what the historiography considers "Terror" are different things right ? The massacres of Vendée and the massacres of September are absolutely NOT due to Robespierre. He condemned the later (which was actually an initiative of the Hebertists). As for Vendée, he indeed demanded (like the other members of the Committee of Public Safety) the repression of the armed forces (which was a perfectly rational decision), but there are absolutely no proofs that he knew about the atrocities of the Revolutionary forces.

Simo Häyhä was nothing compared to Timo

I feel blessed to be named after this man

Horatio?

El Libertador Simon Bolivar is best Libertador

That one guy who raped two qts in his cab. He's my hero

Emiliano Zapata, he fought in the Revolution for peasant's rights

I think the Medway is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills Birts and doesnt afraid of anything.

Admiral Yi.

Entire generation who saved us from extermination. Thanks babushka.