ITT languages that will be around forever

ITT languages that will be around forever

COBOL

HTML

That's what they said about Fortran and now it's only used by 50 something mechanical engineering professors running computational fluid dynamics simulations

my nibba

I just hope it's still worth learning C

>The next revision of the language (Fortran 2015) is intended to be a minor revision and is planned for release in mid-2018. It is currently planned to include further interoperability between Fortran and C, additional parallel features, and "the removal of simple deficiencies in and discrepancies between existing facilities

Fortran's still used in many universites as THE language for scientific computing.

Common Lisp and Scheme will be reborn.

WebAssembly. That is all.

Languages don't matter. It's just the knowledge that you need. If you know your hardware and how computers work, you won't have a problem with C, or the next low level language that hopefully gets made and surpasses C.

If you know your high level programming stuff it doesn't matter if it's Ruby or Python or whatever, it's the same concepts with a different syntax.

If you know your JS then I'm sorry to hear that.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm a PhD student and I use it daily - there is literally no better language for number crunching, provided the data isn't in some complex structure.

>Not seeing VBA here

Fucking accountants. I mean none of you have ever had a job where you had to communicate with an accountant.

"I have an Excel spreadsheet and I need to add these two numbers. Six years of study taught me to write a VBA macro"

Fucking hell this languages makes me want to die

What you forget is that those languages have been warped all the time.

Unlike
which has been the same since the late 90s or so.

Common Lisp could very well live forever.

Existing implementations are rock-solid in terms of their stability, and there will always be a (small) market that wants commercial support.

The language itself is so extendable that any new innovation in PLT can easily be ported to it.

Scheme, I'm not so sure of. It's a great little language, but the fragmentation between implementations is ridiculous. We'll see if R7RS helps.

>Languages don't matter. It's just the knowledge that you need.

That's the stupidest meme in tech world.

"The tools we use have a profound (and devious!) influence on our thinking habits, and, therefore, on our thinking abilities."

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."

Edsger W.Dijkstra, ewd498

-----------------------

Being a good programmer starts with having a good taste. For that you need to learn and understand a language created by people that have good taste.

C is simple, small, minimalist and pragmatist. It reflects "worse is better" philosophy. Many generations who used it to code also had the same qualities before programming become mainstream and pajeets invaded the industry.

C code from 30 years ago runs fine today. Js code from 15 years does too.
VBA is around mostly because MS forces it so hard

>Edsger W.Dijkstra
the first language shitposter

you can't argue with that :)

'I don't know how many of you have ever met Dijkstra, but you probably know that arrogance in computer science is measured in nano-Dijkstras.'
Alan Kay

But you're posting here right now user!

>C code from 30 years ago runs fine today.
>error: conio.h not found
>Js code from 15 years does too.
>error: [some obscure shitfunction from DHTML] not found

I like how he even published shitposting papers.

>conio.h, in any year

Python

Java

Rust

as a target*

>Rust

Coffeescript

Binary.

All the other languages will become obsolete once the successor to OOP is invented

Rust can't exist without C.
C is the lowest common denominator. All language constructs in all other languages can be expressed by hand in C.