don't be delusional

But that's not a standard.

HDMI
>nonfree
>DRM
>requires royalties
>less shekels if you slap a sticker on
>late to the party with 4K60Hz
>shitty plug with no mating mechanism, relies only on the sturdiness of the connector (or lack thereof)
>wears out and breaks quickly because it's shit
and somehow it become a standard
wish DP arrived earlier..

aren't hdmi royalties a pittance compared to lightning royalties

Why not just use Display Port? Greedy jews, that's why.

i agree, i wish that was the main standard

I've got a 3m HDMI cable I purchased years ago for a couple of bucks. Do cable manufacturers not pay royalties?

delet this

I dunno it's handy having video and audio on the same cable in some cases.

DP can do audio

Ah shit I was thinking of DVI not Displayport. Apologies.

XML
SOAP
XML
HTML, which, curiously, would be improved by deprecating tag soup and enforcing strict XHTML

Clever post

DVI can do audio

Annoying that they'd come up with USB-C, and then keep this around, just to screw up adoption.

Thought everything would be switched by now when the pixel chromebook first came out.

Joke's on you, m8. That's an AMP Mate-N-Lok connector.

>not calling it Sup Forums.png

People are dragging their feet hard and bitching up a storm about it. One of the few good things Apple did was drop all other ports and just move everything to USB-C. I wish more manufacturers would follow suit, because now we're in for like ten fucking years of feet dragging of "WAAH MUH PERIPHERALS ALL USE USB-A I'M GONNA BUY A $900-$1800 NEW LAPTOP NOW HOW DARE THEY EXPECT ME TO SHELL OUT $7 FOR AN ADAPTER ON AMAZON"

Oh, and USB-A is a garbage standard.

I like you

HDMI's physical standard
Molex
USB 3.x is a cluster-fuck

>standards

It's just stupid they only put one fucking port on the thing. 2 ports would have been great, 4 would be ideal IMO

Ok, HDMI I can understand, but why USB and 3.5mm?

everywhere you go in the apple store, perhaps

>USB 3.x is a cluster-fuck

you never had to work with RS-232, did you?

i once got RS-232 working on a plug that only had two connectors - receive and transmit. no ground wire for them to refer to. we later worked out the plug was shorting out against the building frame, which was acting like an earth.

>Ethernet
>Display port / any kind of av out
>Dedicated charging port
>3.5mm

>Not useful

the only companies that use Lightning sell chinkshit

Oh I forgot you guys don't have friends

Rekt

this connector is actually pretty good, the shitty apple cables suck ass tho, and the even shittier sleeving sucks harder

It's still 0/10 compared to the thicc Dock connector

I respect molex, it's so easy to tinker with

>usb
>garbage standard
For all it purports to do, it's surprisingly sane. I do understand if USB4.0 would make for too many layers of crap at this point.

We have a TE shill here?

>One of the few good things Apple did was drop all other ports and just move everything to USB-C.
As someone who owns a 2016 rMBP, USB-C is garbage.
Ports are flimsy as fuck, power cable slips out all the time (yes the official apple one and yes the ports, some are tighter than others now), and cable/accessory compatibility is a fucking minefield.

Case in point: I have an external Samsung SSD with a USB-C port on it. If I use the cable that goes between my laptop and the charger to connect it, it only works at USB-2 speeds.
Of course, I have a USB-C cable that works at USB 3.0 speeds for the SSD, but if I used that on the charger, it would only charge at 15W instead of 80W.
There's no kind of marking on either of the cables that would tell you which is which.

>Koch Industries
No. I just want to make sure anons get the right and compatible part. :^)
>from aliexpress

Dude, HDMI is pure nonsense... It works like crap, it's shitty and you have to pay high loyalties.
Maybe an adaptation of the ethernet cable could work, or even DisplayPort (who seriously kicks the fuck out of HDMI)

fukken saved

yeah but it's a lot less common in displays, where as much DisplayPort monitors seem to have support for audio via DP.

USB C really should have a locking connector spec available. The teeth are one of the reasons I like disayport so much.

>Shitty Standards
Too many to choose from

HTTP/2.0
>doesn’t protect user privacy, does nothing to address the numerous security and privacy issues around cookies, incrementally improves performance (if that).

DANE
>still uses X.509 certificates which are absolute junk, a simple signature (Signify) or any other solution would be preferable
>puts explicit trust on the registry, registrar, and the DNS root, so basically changes nothing and keeps the certificate authority scam in business..

DNSSEC
>enables reflection attacks at greater magnitude
>centralizes DNS more
>enables UDP packet race attacks
>actually slows down DNS requests

It's like there are people purposely keeping everything shitty

What the hell is that thing

This all the way, HDMI is the worst, displayport is better in every conceivable aspect.

only thing sadder is when you have to buy them, and the only thing sadder than that is when you ask the resident apple genius a question he can answer and he smiles and you think he's your friend. and you don't see him stop smiling when you leave.

it's a usb cable. i'll show you later.

lmfao

Oh I forgot you guys don't have brains

kek

Underage summerfag gtfo

But that's not a standard, user.

I drive an '07 Denali.

>lightning
>more available than usb-c

>huehuehuheuhe u got no freinds xD

Even the applefags that I know carry around a micro-usb, and they're still always complaining about the lightning cable.

USB C will be fucking ubiquitous once it picks up steam. Small reversible USB connector is what the masses want.

What does the "L" stand for?

t. kernel developers

Left

>lightning
>bad
There's literally nothing wrong with it apart from being proprietary.

>There's literally nothing wrong with it apart from an absolute deal-breaker.

Noone uses DISPLAY visual interface for audio faggot.

>lightning
>more available than usb-c
It is?

it has to be open/implementable for all others to be a standard.

I wish my car had at least 6th gear.... The inefficiency is ripping my soul and my wallet apart.

Inb4 go electric, I would but they're still too expensive and range isn't up to snuff and LPG is a meme bubble.

>doesn’t protect user privacy
I thought HTTP/2.0 had a STARTTLS-like mechanism?
>does nothing to address the numerous security and privacy issues around cookies
No shit, sherlock. That's an application-level concern. You'll have to go bust the balls of the W3C over that, and I don't think they'll take you seriously because client identifiers are damned useful.
>incrementally improves performance (if that).
Sharded webpages are faster than HTTP/1 single-site pages. Sharded webpages don't take advantage of the parallelization possible with HTTP/2.0.

Kek, no, FRAND is not a precondition for a standard.

Not guy who you replied to but I have 3 recent devices to that have it. New laptop, cheap touchscreen laptop, and phone. Might get USbc drive but what's the point when I have the cloud?

Not a standard

usbc>lightning>microusb

>in every supermarket
>in every petrol station
>in those paki mobile phone shops that seem to be fucking evereywhere

Ha!

Low

you take that back fortran is fucking tasty

And why is SQL on there

>t. Bought a new™® Apple™® macbook™®

*nasty

>Noone uses DISPLAY port for audio faggot

>please respond to me
t.

it sucks
it sucks

You win

Not really a standard, so pretty shit.

True, but at least HDMI can be converted to other ports with cheap adapters while there's lots of trouble with DP. Using 4 screens on most GPUs is a clusterfuck because of DP.

Molex is pretty good, no more pins than necessary. and lots of adapters available.

>usb
Solid (A) connector, just works. Best standard in is class which is why alternatives died.

>3.5mm jack
A port so good it's lasted forever, nothing wrong with it. Just shitty cables and headphones that break.

This. The idea of a universal connector is good but that's all it is at the moment. The connector isnt much better than micro, it's reversible and may last slightly longer, but instead it gets loose pretty fast. a usb-c port feels like a membrane keyboard while micro feels like a mechanical.

The standards are the worst clusterfuck I've seen.
>Does the port have 2.0 , 3.0 , 3.1 , 3.1.2?
>Can it output 20v or just 5v?
>Can it charge (if so, how fast?)?
>Does it have thunderbolt, displayport, hdmi, MHL?
>Does it have audio support?

Then the cable:
> 2.0, 3.1?
>Active or passive?
>What power is it rated for?
>Is the cable compliant at all, or will it destroy your device? (Not a problem with USB-A, since those were just cables without components in them.) This a huge step backwards.

>but instead it gets loose pretty fast
like ur mum

they pay per centimeter

Beyond a doubt the worst.

I feel really sorry for you, since you know that.

mfw college makes me buy $150 calculator and it comes w/ a 1ft one of these

this monstrosity

Eh, it's backwards compatible and works well

>everywhere you go in the apple store, perhaps
And petrol station, consumer electronic stores, convenience stores, in people's homes etc.