/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread
Questions that don't deserve their own thread because they're idiotic and trivial in nature
Sometimes stupid questions get stupid answers
Don't bog everything down bumping your questions

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards
onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter
svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2049
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is Windows controlling my computer even in dual boot

>Is Windows controlling my computer when windows isn't even loaded
hmm...

Can I install i3 gaps on Fedora 26?

Maybe W10 discretly flashes the firmware who knows

Damn what happened to her? She was so fucking hot.

I wanted to write a Ruby script that would get the filenames automatically so I could create a list, but I don't know a shit about networking. I have a url of this shape:
www.opera.com/download/get/?id=41279
I managed to make Ruby download the file, but I want to only get the filename. How do I HTTP?

>OC GTX 1060 core clock by 152mhz
>+300 for the memory
>when running a graphically intensive application it starts at 2025mhz and gradually lowers to 1970-something mhz
>temps are in the 60s
>it's set for max power limit
Is this normal?

let's say i'm using find to get a list of the files in a directory.
however, i'm also downloading media files to that directory off the internet.
sometimes, while the file is downloading, .part files are created but never deleted after the download is finished.
my question is:

does find -type f exclude .part files? or do i have to use something like find ! -name "*.part"

i figure .part files are considered to be actual files and as such have to be specifically excluded.
but since these files are unreadable by my media player, do they really count? after all, they are just part of the media file i'm downloading.

How much can you actually do on ChromeOS besides browse?

Bought a FX8350 for debian machine. when I go and OC in bios and boot my /sys/devices/system/cpu.....bios_limit is still 4.0GHz. Is this a problem with the mobo or with acpi_cpufreq?

Callisto was better than Xena. Fight me.

install gentoo

No I agree

>but I want to only get the filename
Not sure about your specific setup but if you send a HEAD request instead of GET it should just send you the headers and not the body of the reply. Not all servers support it so good though. Or you could just follow redirects untill you get a 200 and grab the URL.

Need a VPN for HBO Now for to watch Game for Normies, gib yours

pls

find doesn't know anything about how useful a file is. It doesn't even ignore dotfiles. So you will need to specifically exclude file you don't want in the result.

late reply, but isp is wowway. Only other option is spectrum, and they are offering 30mb/s for $120. Right now I'm getting double that for the same price.

Guess I have to bite the bullet and just keep asking for them to send a line tech...

I want to install linux, i want a good easy replacement for windows that isnt mint i tried mint already on another computer and it was bad. Xubuntu looks decent do you guys have any others.

ubuntu budgie

My video card (intel hd graphics) doesn't have any non-free driver for manjaro or i have to get them from some repository?

>doesn't have any non-free driver
this is... the power.. of linux

What's a decent all-purpose guide for programming UART GPSes? I made the mistake of buying a nanoPi (which uses crapy Allwinner firmware) + the friendlyElec GPS to go with it, and now I have to know my stuff about GPIO programming from scratch.

B-but my minecraft needs an proprietary driver.

OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ RuntimeException: No OpenGL context found in the current thread.

I really need to go back and watch this show

Nothing. But you would be surprised how much one can accomplish with browser alone.

Sure if watching is synonymous with masturbating

You can have opengl without proprietary driver. And I think the intel driver is open source, they don't maintain a seperate one.

Keep up pressure. Make a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. That shit still gets you special attention.

Guide me, senpai

Gabriel was best

best online video downloader?

youtube-dl

what's the cheapest way to build an 8-drive (or 10, or 12, or whatever) RAID 10 array (not including the drives themselves)?
is hardware raid worth the money, or am I better off just getting one of those motherboards with 12 SATA ports and using software RAID?

ive been using it but id prefer not to have to type 'youtube-dl.exe' each time and i cant choose where to save it

Can I turn a Pi into a wireless webcam without soldering?

Why didn't frodo have the eagles take them to mordor when Gandalf explicitly told them to fly after fighting the balrog?

>two lame callisto editions in a row
fucking saged

fucking this

If I want to sail the high seas on a network with tight security, would a vpn or a seedbox be better? and any recommendations for either?

Just go to the directory you want to download to and run it there. Also, use the tab autocompletion, Luke.

Or make an alias for youtube-dl.exe called yt.

>is hardware raid worth the money
How much performance do you need? If it's for home or small office then software will suffice.

>am I better off just getting one of those motherboards with 12 SATA ports and using software RAID?
Probably. You don't even need a high performance setup. A cheap Pentium would suffice, just make sure to use SATA III.

That chin is a little extreme though.

Yes, but it'll be pretty shitty. All pi have the camera connection built into the board.
I use the fisheye version on my front door cctv

honestly I don't need a heck of a lot of performance, I just want a big fucking NAS to store all my important stuff on plus "a few" movies and TV shows
although I was considering having it double as network storage for my home lab, but even so the bottleneck would probably be at the NIC anyways

thanks, but im still needing to change directories fairly often (which web browsers help with, with the save box)

I prefer seedbox over VPN, but both have similar downsides.

Cheap mobo, load Windows 10. SMB 3 kicks ass, as long as your OSes support it.

well I don't know about manjaro but mesa handles userspace opengl for intel
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards

Can I use a 720 webcam out of an old laptop?

I was thinking CentOS, is there a genuine performance benefit with Windows?
also wasn't there some huge vulnerability in SMB?

Is there anything wrong with an i7-7700k?
I want to go with a microATX board and smaller case, but want to do gpu passthrough. The only ryzen board capable of IOMMU that is microATX has totally no usable connections (toslink is a somewhat hard requirement, also displayport with MST).

Or should I go full ATX? But I'd love to go for a smaller form factor.

>its time for a fresh windows install
>i guess i'll do windows 10 this time
>front panels don't work
>nothing on google helps
fuck this gay earth

did you check the pins?

and did you install the right chipset drivers?
that's kind of important too

There is nothing wrong with i7-7700k unless you plan to overclock heavily. Cause for a majority of people they get temps 10-30 degrees higher than they expect. (Intel even confirmed it and responded in the most retarded way, hurr durr just don't OC).

tl;dr: It's great, invest is a good cooling if you plan to overclock.

I keep getting Connection Error, I am typing this to see if it has anything to do with the content of what i originally wanted to post

I modified some script to follow the redirects, but still couldn't get the filename out of it. So instead I inspected connections while downloading various versions to find the location of the files. Here they are:
>all versions: mac, win, linux
download1.operacdn.com/pub/opera/desktop
>win only
download1.operacdn.com/pub/.custom/ABTest/win
It appears you can replace 1 with 2..4. No idea what's the point of the second folder, but I found it. I actually found that FTP earlier, but couldn't find the stable versions since 'linux' folder contained only very old versions (11, 12) and I didn't think of looking for 'desktop'.

Now then, if I override the current Opera version with an older package, will all the extensions and stuff remain intact?

Don't really plan to overclock, but might consider it some day.
Considering to use the be quiet! Pure Rock, which is designed for 150W TDP. The 7700k has 91W TDP, so I guess there is a decent gap if I want to do some slight overclocking?

it's not a matter of how good your cooling solution is, intel chips have really shitty soldering
you'd have to either use liquid nitrogen cooling or delid it to fix the heat issues

I have Flux (the program that makes your screen orange at night) for Linux. (considering switching from Flux to Redshift though).
I'm having a bug right now, where the icon for the flux gui disappeared, so i can't go to its options or even close it. So i wanted to close it by killing its process. And after killing the processes (the gui + the program itself), i try to start it again, but it says it's still running. Why is this? I would give more information, but Sup Forums decides to throw connection errors if i add the bash code i tried

switch the redshift
shit just' werks senpai

anyone, seeing as i like the save as box

Already installed chipset and audio drivers

>I was thinking CentOS, is there a genuine performance benefit with Windows?
With SMB 3 specifically. If samba supports it now then it would probably work.
>also wasn't there some huge vulnerability in SMB?
Probably. It happens. The only safe computer is an airgapped one.

i just plug it into onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter

My psu fan has been loud so I'm gonna lubricate it, what kind of lubricant do you usually use for this kind of thing? I read some use sewing machine oil

It seems than the only language Sup Forums can agree on that is nice and garners respect around here is C.
But i must wonder, is there any other language that is Sup Forums approved ?

I tried the following and the reasons i quit

Rust
>the fucking community is cancer and banned me from the sub reddit because my user name was squishy_wiggle.

C++
> I did actually like this up to the point of templating. This shit got out of hand real quick. also 150 char lines are cancer to the eye.

JS
>JS

Haskell
>I like functional programming, but after 3 weeks i had grasped no more than the basics of it and compile times are fucking bizarre.

Go
>I actually like this, a nice amount of language features, but no too many that it would bloat the language. too bad generics aren't a thing.

Python
>I can not get along with forced indentation. I will keep my own code format thanks

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I hate the lack of generics too but Golang is a pretty nice language. Python is ok if you don't mind indentation.

Maybe try Ruby? Don't use it too much but it's pretty nice.

im trying it, its taking a while to process

considering that it's sentient, it seems pointless to kill it when you could just as easily put it up for adoption. even unwanted furniture is usually given away instead of destroyed.

Which vpn is best? (one that doesn't log and doesn't have any data about you + is trusted [bonus points for similar cases like PIA where the FBI couldn't get anything]) and is there any easy way to test the VPN security?

Should the bf and I try chatting with Somali girls at the park or will it traumatize them?

Also why would I pay for mullvad, if I could just generate an account number each 3 hours?

test

test2

Help? Firefox is using too much cpu for seemingly no reason?

How long can an external HDD last?

depends on how good you take care of it, it'll have the life of any regular HDD if you don't throw it all over the place and let it spin up and down properly

>I actually like this, a nice amount of language features, but no too many that it would bloat the language. too bad generics aren't a thing.
You want to look at an active open sores Sup Forums project that uses Go, look no further than nyaa pantsu.

My AIO CPU water cooler broke a while ago. Today I "fixed" it since I had nothing to lose (I just took the cold plate off, drained all the liquid which got foamy some how, and ran water through it until it was clean, and then refilled it with plain distilled water and closed it back up). Now, it works like normal when my computer is upright and the pump/head is perpendicular to the ground, but when I lay my computer on its side so the pump/head is parallel with the ground, it makes a noise like there's air bubbles going through it. Is that something to worry about, or will I be just fine if I leave it upright all the time?

Do people usually lay their cases on their side like that? I was under the impression that they were meant to be upright at all times.

I wired my garage door opener to an arduino which toggles it on COM port activity. I have an AWS website. I want to open my garage with a button on the website.

Can someone please explain how I can go about sending that button press from the AWS site to an idle c# process on a local computer that can then go communicate with the arduino? I don't want the program to have to poll a server endlessly because that's a waste of bandwidth.

I bought an external HDD to plug into my little HDMI usb recorder box thing on my TV, but it appears as though the usb output doesn't have enough power to run the HDD.
If I get a usb splitter, to plug one into the recorder box, and the other to, say, a mains power usb adapter, do you think that would work?

cavitation will destroy pumps. i don't know why it's started cavitating (unless you just refilled it with less liquid than it had before) but don't let it continue.

There are some cases that have the motherboard parallel to the ground.

Alright thanks. I'll just throw it away I guess. I filled it by taking a big pot, filling it with distilled water, and submerging the cooler in it and moving it around to get all the bubbles out, then screwing the cold plate back on while it was still totally submerged. I figure it's just too much work to refill it without letting any air bubbles in, or there's a small leak somewhere.

>spin up and down properly
whats this, how dyou not interfere with it?

can i play online videos through mpc-hc (or vlc)? if so how

youtube-dl + mpv is superior

ill look into it
could you tell me for mpc too?

is there a way to connect my android phone to my pc over WLAN, but have the phone be seen by the pc as a usb connection?

Will coffee lake be supported by z170 series motherboards with a BIOS update? I want to upgrade from my skylake pentium but not if that means getting a new mobo+copy of windows.

>Go
>too bad generics aren't a thing.
How can you like c, but complain about the lack of generics? C doesn't have generics.

>C++
> I did actually like this up to the point of templating
Wait... Generics are good, but templating is bad?

>Python
>I can not get along with forced indentation.
Never got this complaint. You format your code with indents anyways, who cares if it's semantic? I've used some IDEs that force their indentation style on you, whether you like it or not (in fact, the majority of IDEs/code editors). Might as well complain that other languages force their braces on you.

I need a good router, wired or wireless for torrenting/server host, what are my options?

can someone explain what these guys are saying to do, i cant work it out

svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2049

Maybe. Nothing's been officially confirmed yet.

What you want is called a powered hub.

MQTT is the usual meme interface for that sort of task.

Yep, it's firefox.

Gonna do webdev I think. I get this nagging feeling to do DBA work because I know that more. What do Sup Forums?

I don't have a major directly related to either, but I have worked with both professionally.

Any idea why my sample rate keeps on changing randomly?

i'm using a Scarlett 2i2 audio interface for sound btw.

I have an OSVR and I'm trying to get it to work with SteamVR. I keep on getting error 400 and 306. How do I fix this?

I've looked at so many guides, and a lot of them have things that are just not there.