/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/Herplooza/saved/KpsqsY
youtube.com/watch?v=zxee1uO3hTE
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2939&cmp[]=2660&cmp[]=3029
pcpartpicker.com/list/2y8LTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/4W6Thq
pcpartpicker.com/product/BYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk8gx4m2b3000c15
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/rNwB3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/TF6Thq
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for RGB

Will an i5 2500 outperform an i5 3320M? I'm poor as shit and I'm thinking about buying a used office PC and putting a GT1030 in it because right now I'm using a Thinkpad X230 as my main PC that I've put a 500GB SSD in but I'll probably sell it and buy a desktop instead.

I got a dell optiplex 755 because I'm poor. What GPU can I use so I can play some gaym's at low-medium settiung but not explode my stock dell PSU.

Dude with the H7 from last thread.
You need an AM4 mount if you haven't got one.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Herplooza/saved/KpsqsY

So... Ryzen 3 prices.
They're expecting the 1200 around $110, and the 1300X around $130.
How do y'all think this will affect the market, especially with Intel trying to neuter the G4560?

>ETH dropped to a 2 month low this morning
>miners dumping GPUs onto eBay
ETA on retail GPUs returning to MSRP prices?

Not happening

Who much will this effect prices on older cards like the radeon HD 5870?

>tfw dual-socket lga2011-3 boards are still expensive on ebay
>tfw xeons for that socket are as well

Why?

>Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate FULL VERSION $155.26

They will just move on and mine the latest fad. Zcash is still mineable. It is not like their GPUs can only mine Eth.

>Arriving today before 8:00 PM

>9:45 pm
now i know why people used to shoot up post offices

I've had an XFX RX480 8gb for about 3-4 months and I got it for about $240. I'm seeing some are selling for $350, but realistically what can I expect?

Could I sell it and get something a little better like a 1070 for the same price?
I'm in USA.

ETH isn't the only buttcoin out there, so I'd say by the end of the year at the greatest.

About what you paid for, maybe $50+/-. You waited waaaay too long and you should have sold last month when ETH peaked at just over $400.

I'm upgrading my fx6300 with a 8370 to pass the time that I'm using to save for an i7 build, am I doing anything wrong?

I found a Dell Precision T1700 with an i7 4770 and 16GB RAM at £375 but will I be able to put a more powerful card than a GT1030 in it if it has a 290W PSU? This would be a great poorfag rig if I can put something like the 460 in it, I don't want to build a new PC with a G4560 and 8GB RAM because I do photo and video editing as well as vidya.

You should get a 1600 or 1700

Daily reminder that if you have a i7 4790k, you need to upgrade NOW

Why though.

He'd have to buy another motherboard you dingus

Sure, as long as you're not paying a huge premium. I did the same thing last year upgrading from a 6300 to a 8350, and it held me over till ryzen

Goyim, you must update to the latest X299 platform and not the Gorilla Glue competition!

Is bearded AMD marketer guy the same guy as this? Holy shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=zxee1uO3hTE

But they're ALL dropping.

I want to buy a graphics card. My annual salary is $90,000 USD (poorfag here). My upper limit on a card is $1000. My operating system is a Debian-like. I don't care about closed drivers. I intend to use it for VR, JTR, numerical computing, and some gaming, in order of frequency. No interest in SLI / Crossfire.

What am I best off getting? 1080ti? Vega Frontier? Vega X*? I'll be using air cooling. Presently leaning towards the 1080ti.

t. card nub

I meant instead of the i7 build

>all this Zen shilling
Can't make this shit up
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2939&cmp[]=2660&cmp[]=3029
Zen is weaker in single threaded benchmarks than fucking Excavator.

>b-b-but it's 3.6GHz vs 3.4GHz
Even if you adjusted the Ryzen's score to the same clock frequency, it still loses to the Excavator CPU by a hundred points.

What a fucking joke of an architecture. This is literally Bulldozer rehashed and marketed.

It was the postal workers shooting up the offices.

And they'll spike back up too it's just how these smaller (relatively) markets operate

Oh, RIP in that case then.

The only joke is actually taking Passmark seriously

I don't know, man. Computers are pretty expensive. You're better off contacting some computer companies NASA has on contract and see if they sell to civilians.

i can build this rig for 450usd in my country
>amd fx 8300 cpu
>asus M5A78L-M/USB3 mobo
>saphire rx 550 2gb graphics card
>kingston hyperx 2x4gb 1833 ram
>kingston hyperx fury 240gb ssd
>wd blue 1tb hdd
>chieftec 600w eco psu
>cooler master hyper tx3 evo cooler
>some shitty case
should i pull the trigger?
I mainly need it for matlab/other engineering software, office work and light-ish 1080p gaming

>(poorfag here)
You're on Sup Forums, imbecile

why is ryzen such shit at single thread performance?

NASA has Nvidia Quadros

>$90k a year
>poorfag

Low quality.

I have an i7-4790k... Why? I need hard facts or something.

>$90,000 USD
>poorfag
try living with 6000 [spoiler][spoiler]yuros[/spoiler] annualy[/spoiler]

He's probably from the bay area

>VR
1070 is a minimum, and if you're insistent on getting one right now, the price is so inflated that you might as well take the

No, the FX 8XXX are set to be succeeded by the Ryzen R3, which is releasing in less than two weeks. A similarly priced AM4 build will be a much better investment, you can get a much better used GPU for the same price of a new RX 550 too.

I live rather comfortably on like a third of that. Why people still live in these areas is beyond me.

You earn
443% of the world's average annual wage of 20,328 USD. How in the hell is that poor.

Alright boys. I got a MSI B350 Tomahawk and a Ryzen 1600 today from Amazon and threw them together. First run I got a CPU debug led, took out a stick of RAM and the debug led went away but I still cant get it to post.

Is my shit busted? How long do first time posts take? Ive heard that some mobos with older bios dont work with R5s.

Those are the equivalent of overclockable i5s, all R3s are 4c/4t, I'm surprised there's nothing that's 4c/8t. Expect price drops for the i5s currently out or a rearrangement of the terms intel uses to define what an i3, i5, or i7 is in a few years.

RAM on the QVL?

Some first time POSTs can take a while to cold boot. But more importantly check the QVL for the mobo if the RAM is supported or not.

My current PC is below what you'd call absolute dogshit right now so I'm trying to build a new one

Is this okay for now?
I intend on buying a gtx 1080 later on

I live in the coastal southeast

I can wait, but this is my first rig since I'm finally able to afford a desktop for the first time in my life. As for the Ti, it seems worth it to me. Thoughts on current & upcoming Vega cards? My understanding is that their Linux performance is far below Nvidia due to driver deficiencies.

sorry that was kind of bait. if it makes you feel better last year I was living in my 1999 toyota corolla eating rice and water twice a day and i'm still not comfortable with where i'm at right now. life changes on you fast

Then don't but a 1050ti. You're just wasting money.

Its okay

No user, don't bother with i5s right now. Intel CPUs go up to 90 or 100% usage on AAA garbage nowadays if they're 4 cores, while on a 6 core Ryzen the CPU load is about half that.
You're going to need a new PSU, don't trust your old one to work well enough, not to mention taking the PSU plug out from the motherboard of a PSU already plugged in is a fucking BITCH and a half.

>if it makes you feel better last year I was living in my 1999 toyota corolla eating rice and water twice a day
Holy shit user and now you're making 90k USD. You've gone far.
Invest some into stocks and start saving up so you don't get shat on by whatever life further throws at you right fucking now.
If you're already comfortable with using Nvidia for GPU passthrough and the workarounds you need to do to get it working, then you already have your answer, get a 1080ti.

I'm a big dummy, does this build suck or not? Mostly for vidya pcpartpicker.com/list/2y8LTH

Any reason why you don't get a small SSD?

I was going to say that you should get a 120GB or larger SSD for your boot drive. Get a larger one if you want a few games on it as well.

I would spring for the EVGA G3 650W PSU. It's higher quality than the NEX series.

I'd also recommend the Cryorig H7 (you can get a refurb on Amazon for $35) for a cooler. Better than the 212 for just a little more money.

Is it worth upgrading from a GTX 750 Ti 2GB to a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB?

The only two games I've tried playing on the 750 Ti that I can't play so far are Doom and NieR: Automata.

On one hand, it's a very small upgrade in the grand scheme of things, on the other hand, I'm scared that the cryptominers will keep GPU prices inflated for a very, very long time and I feel like I might have to upgrade soon while I can still afford it.

Do it. Its a major upgrade.

Not at today's prices.

The 1050ti can still be found at MSRP

I just went on Newegg. 1050tis are selling for 160 minimum.
That's ridiculous. MSRP is 140, and you could usually find them cheaper months ago. This is definitely inflated.

1050 Ti is about on par with a 770

They're inflated, but this isn't the kind of inflation that's hit the RX 480/580 and 1060.

That sucks. I bought one a couple of months ago for like 130, EVGA

Not at MSRP = Not a good buy.
Even buying at MSRP is a bad buy but I'm being generous with standards due to the mining craze.

This is my first full pc build primarily for gaming.
am i doing anything wrong?
pcpartpicker.com/list/4W6Thq

Fair enough. I wasn't even willing to pay MSRP for my ASUS 480 and waited until Newegg's prices dropped again.

Is there a way to use a RGB LED strip if my mobo doesn't have the connector? Had my build all picked out and was doing one last check on all the parts and realized I done goofed and the one I want doesn't have it listed.

Get a splitter.

This effects nothing, they are mining to keep long term.

>This shitty bait again
Take your (you) and scram

Not even bait home boy. I just like seeing how salty you pcb folk get because not everyone thinks like you do.

>Still salty
>Still shitty bait

thanks for all this salt for my fries, they are delicious now. Keep it coming buddy ol pal

>Iwasmerelypretending.jpg

Never mind, case has built in connector for it. I'll go kms for asking before googling.

Is it difficult would it be to learn to make custom sleeves for the cables? Are there any good guides to get started or should I not even bother and just order custom cables.

Yeah I might have got the wrong ram but Ive seen one build with the same ram same board however.

pcpartpicker.com/product/BYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk8gx4m2b3000c15
My guess is I didnt check the QVL thoroughly enough.

Sure, but all the fucks who got in on the latest new cryptocurrency because they saw some shit on Netflix or CNBC are probably gonna give up. It's a question of how many there are mining longterm and how many were just in on the latest fad and freaked when they saw that the value of literally every single cryptocurrency is dropping thanks to the scare caused by this upcoming Bitcoin protocol change

I just went ahead and got cable extensions. The process is really long and unnecessary unless you're going for a very very specific look, but even then thats mostly for builds that are in the $3k price range on just the pc alone.

Try letting it post for awhile.
If it still doesn't post after 3-5 minutes, then you can assume it is the RAM

Yeah I've let it sit for well over 10 minutes. Fans spin, leds glow yet no post, beeps or video on monitor. Tried both sticks in 2a and nothing. At least the CPU debug light is no longer there so there's that. Ram debug light never shows up as well.

Gonna go ahead and send back this ram and try something off the qvl. Hopefully thats the problem.

I need 32gb of ecc desktop ram in 2 sticks
what should I get

I need a new monitor for light gaming and web browsing. Would like to keep it under $300. Any recommendations?

Will coffee lake be supported by z170 series motherboards with a BIOS update? I want to upgrade from my skylake pentium but not if that means getting a new mobo+copy of windows

Intel will be jews and introduce a new socket.

Dude, they already announced new sockets since then, it's absolutely zero chance it will even fit into 1151.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/rNwB3F

Thoughts?

Currently have a 1080p 144hz monitor, looking to get a 1440p at some point in the near future.

80% gaming, some streaming of sports/games.

pcpartpicker.com/list/TF6Thq

This is a good idea? Money isn't an issue but are all of part goof for the money?

Real shit though, why would you upgrade from a 4790K?

Is spending that much on rgb fans really worth it?

Only if you really want RGB everything. I like a little bit of RGB, but LEDs in general always make me think back to the 2000s when people had PCs with like chrome skulls or biohazard symbols and so many piercing blue LED fans that the computer lit lit up a room.

Do you have the gpu already? You'll need one.

LOL you literally just described a PC I had found in a foreclosure those many years ago.

do you have a gpu? have you stick the hdmi cable from the monitor to the gpu and not the mobo?