/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
LG USA Mobile on Twitter: 8/31/17. Berlin, Germany. Mark your calendar for a brand new chapter. #V #LG
twitter.com/LGUSAMobile/status/885953047809183745

ZTE launches a $99 phone with a fingerprint sensor
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/14/15971016/zte-blade-spark-price-att-fingerprint-sensor-prepaid

Source: Pixel XL 2 will have Ambient Display Always On, Squeezing while Screen Off, Multiple Display Profiles, and More
xda-developers.com/source-pixel-xl-2-will-have-ambient-display-always-on-squeezing-while-screen-off-multiple-display-profiles-and-more/

Samsung has released a app that can live stream your device to Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook.
apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/game-live/game-live-0-1-03-0-release/game-live-0-1-03-0-android-apk-download/

HTC U11 - Real Review
youtu.be/2OqK94X4Gng

Moto G5 Plus 32 GB drops to $199, 64 GB model to $249
droid-life.com/2017/07/12/deal-moto-g5-plus-32gb-drops-199-64gb-model-249-30-50-off/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.lineageos.org/devices/serranoltexx/install
nokia.com/en_int/phones/all-phones
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for s8 best phone

Soon™!

Axon 7 vs LG V20:

Axon:
>Capacitive buttons that don't take up the screen
>5.5"
>Loud front stereo speakers
>Nice loud amp with AK4490 DAC
Axon 8 may be coming out soon and may be better

LG V20:
>Removable battery
>IR Blaster
>Gimmicky 2nd screen but can be useful
>Nice and loud, has to detect high Ohm headphones to get there, but has ES9218 "Quad" DAC
>5.7"
>AMAZING camera and microphones
LG V30 will suck

Both are 2k, Snap 820, microSD, LineageOS support, and $400.
And I can't fucking decide. V20 clearly looks better on paper but the Axon 7 is sleek and sexy.
Help me...

Flip a coin. While its in the air, you'll know what you really want and nothing we say can change it

Best android phone overall? USA. Tmobile. Budget doesn't matter.

128GB Pixel XL

I love my v20 and would recommend it to anyone desu

Some questions about your V20:
What do you use the second screen for?
Does the LG double-tap lock, accidentally lock your screen when double tapping in apps?
How long have you had it?
Does it bother you that the Hi-Fi DAC doesn't turn on if you low impedance equipment?

>secondary screen
Spotify and quick access to flashlight and the remote for the ir blaster. It also shows recent apps but I'm not totally used to that yet
>double tap
I think the double tap lock is only on the home screen, not tapping anything anywhere at any time.
>how long
I got it June 24th.
>dac
You can turn it on manually and it'll turn on whenever you plug in any set of earphones.

Pretty sure the DAC auto adjusts even when you turn on Hi-Fi mode.

How is the battery life?
Does the LG software look ugly?
And what version are you running, because I'm pretty sure they are never going to update that phone again.

s8 plus or wait for pixel 2

Wait for pixel 2

Battery life is very good, I get home with about 50% after an 8 hour shift using Bluetooth for half of it.
I think the software looks fine, but I only have an old galaxy s2 to compare to for other Android interfaces and it's much better.
It's currently on Android 7.0, I don't know if it'll ever get an update.

They said they ended support for it already.

What are some glaring flaws or things you don't like? For me I can't stand the on-screen buttons wasting space, and that there's no side power button.

The side volume buttons taking getting used to again because I had a G3 for so long and got extremely used to the intuitive buttons on the back of it. They're hard to find by feel through clothes.
Sometimes the auto brightness doesn't realize I'm in a dark room, it keeps the screen bright as hell based on how bright the light from the screen is reflecting off my face.
The default LG keyboard was kinda rubbish and deletes entire paragraphs in a split second but that was solved with a different keyboard app

I haven't really had it that long yet, it doesn't have very many flaws to me aside from the volume buttons being small. Also, the camera is fucking excellent.

so far it's pretty comfy. came from an S4

my only complaint is how insanely strong the vibration motor is. I had to turn it off for typing. maybe I was just used to my fizzling S4 but holy shit

how's the battery life lad
im kinda stuck between this and g5 plus

I am waiting for my Chingchong Redmi Note 4 to arrive.

Did I fuck up?

m'u11 just received support for baked-in alexa complete with wake word support (unlike the chinkshit mate 9)

So essential phone turned out to be a piece of shit flop.

What's new in the bezel less market?

whats the dark souls of smart phones

What do you guys think of the galaxy j7 pro?

What are the alternatives in that price range.

Thanks

Other V20 user here.
>second screen
clock and flashlight. i have it turned off most of the time when the main screen is on
>double tap lock
only locks when you tap the status bar so it's hard to do it by accident
>how long have I had it
about a month and a half
>DAC
the DAC is manual and works on everything
>battery
great, lasts for two days with my usage
>LG software ugly
kinda but it's easy-ish to ignore
>version
7.1 has been confirmed, I thinhk
>glaring flaws
The Sprint and Verizon ones are locked down so no root or LineageOS for me. The SIM card is kind of hard to remove. I don't like LG's white on black UI.
>on screen buttons
They aren't that bad, honestly. The screen is pretty big so I never feel like there's wasted space.
>side power
Yeah it takes some getting used to. I never have to click the power button though since just putting my finger on the fingerprint reader turns the phone on and unlocks it.

iPhone when you want to do something other than browsing Facebook.

What sd835 phone would you recommend if I'm going to use LOS exclusively? Stock is not an option. OP5 is already considered but I want options. Oh, and the headphone jack is a dealbreaker, I'm not going to use adapters like a fucking caveman from 2005.

Do any modern Android phones have a physical buttons? Have an S6 at the moment, thought about getting an S8 but there's no actual homebutton, do I have to just bite the bullet?

is there anything decent mid range for at&t that has physical buttons, expandable storage, and isnt a pain in the ass to get rooted?

Does no one on /spg/ own an Axon 7?

What do you value more? This bezels or buttons?

Meizu phones still have physical buttons, lots of chink phones do.

anyone know about zuk z2 pro custom roms? do they match the camera quality?

I've finally decided to go with a OP3T but they've been discontinued
Can anyone recommend where I should buy one?
I'm an ausfag if that changes anything.

>phone has a non-removable battery which holds charge for an hour or so
>got a family member an honor 8 for 250usd
>decide to take the old phone as a replacement
>4.3"

It is so tiny. My hands are cramping from typing on it.

7" phones when.

why has no one mentioned the OnePlus 5?

>superior processor
>all modern needs on a phone including fingerprint reader
>Open-source OS (OxygenOS)
>NO BLOATWARE
>3300 mAmp battery
>Dual Sim

???

Which is best smartphone to buy today?
I need to change my phone and I want the very best high-end that I can keep at least 1 year or 2.

wait for the new iPhone

A phone that either looks like Xperia or HTC one but is not too expensive and has no chink bloatware? I'm in EU. I want to buy off contract. Should be 5'5 or around that. I'm guessing ZTE axon is my only option even though it has chink software?

I was thinking the same thing but the problem is iOs. There isn't a file manager and everything pass through iTunes. Also I can't freely manage files

Op the term 'chink' is kind of offensive, i know you probably didn't mean it that wway but it in future OPs if you don't want to ruin the thread. This is not Sup Forums

Sharp FS8016 release when?

get the OnePlus 5

I just wish it was waterproof.

again, check out the OnePlus 5

true, but it has all the other features that phones that cost 100+ USD more have

$650 CAD without a micro SD slot.
so much for never settling.

Been getting into emulation on my phone lately and I think ppsspp is using the little cores on my phone.

In fact, the big cores barely get used at all. Is there any work around for this? Phone is a Zuk Z2 Pro running Resurrection Remix 5.8.3

I had a G3 and a G4, a friend of mine a V10.
All of them suffered of bootloop. All of them overheated. All of them had shitty battery life. The G3 overheated so much that the GPU died and I had the whole motherboard replaced. G3's first battery died and took the MicroSD with it; the second one swollen at the point that is destroyed the digitizer on the top and in the middle.
LG, never again.

You mean the iPhone 7 plus?

Is there a not outdated recommended chinkphone link?

Girlfriends G3 got BSOD earlier this year.
Every time she tried turning it on the screen would just go blue and stay blue.

why do you need a micro SD card if you have 64 or 128 GB of ROM?

And what will you do if your phone dies? You can't exactly just unplug eMMC or UFS and plug it into your new phone...

yup, it is basically an iPhone with a better quality chip and a better OS

It even has the notification slider

I live in a country with shitty data rates in a region with limited WiFi accessibility. You know what else has 120 GB of storage? An Ipod classic from 2008.

you mean to flash it?
it supports flashing from an external USB or even internal storage

>It's basically an iPhone
That's why it's not recommended. It's basically an iPhone without most of the benefits of buying an iPhone. If you're going to buy Android there's better and cheaper options.

I mean your fucking data. All those photos you've taken, music, videos. Your files.

It's so much better to just put your SD card in your new phone and continue where you just left off without worrying about data loss if your phone decides to fail on you.

plus 64GB isn't enough for everyone, 128GB isn't either.

ZUK 2 a shiit
Snapdragon a shit
i remember my zenfone 2 having better performance when it came to emulation

cheaper?

where I live any higher-end Android phones with the same specs cost at least 150-200 usd more than the oneplus 5

what I mean is the build quality from the iPhone is present in the oneplus

Is this the OnePlus five?

I know, that's why I got one. Just would be nice if it was waterproof. Not that I've ever had a waterproof phone.

There's the mi6 as well, or the Meizu Pro 6 Plus.
For example.

Both cheaper and better value "budget flagships" than the 1+5.

I haven't considered any 1+ devices since the 1+1, they just keep jacking the price up with each new release. I'd rather get a Meizu or a Samsung S7 edge.

Its been years since I've even considered buying a Oneplus product. I did get to use the Oneplus X and remembered the USB transfer to be horrifyingly slow. They cut corners on every part that reviewers don't normally look at and cheated on benchmarks. Couldn't pull of MIRACAST without dying. Now at over twice the price for a phone that still doesn't fit my needs, the Oneplus 5 is not a phone that I would ever seriously consider.

nope

>Same price as other flagships
>no Micro SD slot
>no headphone jack
>no waterproofing
>upside down wobbly screen
>shitty support
>shit speakers

It's a phone where if you drop at least $100 more you're going to get something with far better everything compared to the Oneplus5. There's really no reason to pick it when there's so many good alternatives to it nowadays.

HTC U11 or Galaxy S8

At that price the OnePlus just doesn't stand up as well against competition. When it comes to aggressive pricing Zuk seems to be doing really well with their Z2 being the cheapest phone with flagship specs.

Give them a few years and they'll be pricing themselves against Google or Samsung at this rate...

>>Same price as other flagships
It's still relatively cheaper than flagships. Mi 6 is about the same or more and don't compare it to older chinks. You could also go G6 for a while before it bootloops
>no headphone jack
U wot

You can get last year's flagships for the same price and get a superior phone.

thank you!!

You can get a Samsung S7 for cheaper even...

Don't get the LG G5 man. A friend ofine had it and hated every single bit of it after about a week of use. I'd rather go with the OnePlus 5 if they fix the screen issue.

>Samsung

are all 100 $/€ phones crap? general question, all i've owned have been crap, and i just can imagine wasting a lot more money on a smartphone than that...

Need some help (been reading wiki.lineageos.org/devices/serranoltexx/install )
Trying to get Lineage OS on my Samsung s4 Mini, I had the same issue on Linux as well as Windows 10. The device has debug mode enabled and has the computer trusted, when I boot into download mode I try print-pit and it always fails. I tried to compress the log of the print-pit from heimdall below.

>heimdall print-pit --verbose
Heimdall v1.4.0

Detecting device...
Manufacturer: "Sasmsung"
Product: "MSM8960"

Initialising protocol...
WARNING: Control transfer #1 failed. Result: -9
>there where multiple variants of this ^

Some devices may take up to 2 minutes to respond.

Session begun.

Downloading device's PIT file...
ERROR: libusb error -7 whilst sending packet. Retrying...
ERROR: libusb error -7 whilst sending packet.
ERROR: Failed to send request to end PIT file transfer!
ERROR: Failed to download PIT file!
Ending session...
ERROR: libusb error -7 whilst sending packet.
ERROR: Failed to send end session packet!
Releasing device interface...

non-verbose: (skipped lines to fit)
>heimdall print-pit
Protocol initialisation successful.

Beginning session...

Session begun.

Downloading device's PIT file...
ERROR: Failed to send request to end PIT file transfer!
ERROR: Failed to download PIT file!
Ending session...
ERROR: Failed to send end session packet!
Releasing device interface...

To be honest, ALL things CONSIDERED, RN3 Pro Kate/Kenzo are still kings. On lineage, shit is Hitler sucked off Stalin vidwo tier legendary.

Said my peace. Fuck any of you little millenial bitches who dare to disagree.

Now that's some cheap bait.

Basically, yes. OPPO owns OP, they just recycled the design.

Actually, I agree with fellow Redmeme user. Dare to elaborate?

which phone is that?

kys nigger

Smartisan Nut Pro, not kidding.

Just tell us what you're looking for and we'll recommend you one

No, there's good phones too

Can anybody recommend a dumbphone for my grandparents? No more than 50 euro pls

just ordered one, should arrive tomorrow. it's my first samsung so I hope it's not shit.

You are forgetting the only important part. OLED vs IPS. That second screen on the v20 will look like garbage shit when its on at night. Lightbleeds like crazy. It did at least on the v10

>t. Axon 7 poster and former v10 owner

Pick one
nokia.com/en_int/phones/all-phones

Is this the 1+5?

Can anyone recommend a phone that looks like Sony Xperia but isn't so expensive?

Any old smartphone will help with your hunger for huge bezels.

Hello Pajeet
I mean a phone that isn't round like Samsung/iPhone

That's the method I use to whether shitpost or not

OP5 user here, came from an ancient Galaxy S2 so not much to compare, but I love it. All I'd really want it to have additionally is a removable battery, other than that I think it's perfect.

Is jello scrolling as bad as on that one video?

Nah lad I'm talking about the moto g5 plus. Sorry should've been clearer

What's a good alternative to Shuttle? It shits the bed almost constantly these days

Is it possible to still use virtual keyboard on android if it detects connected physical keyboard on OTG?

I'm doing a crappy project to have physical media control keys on the phone but when I plug in the arduino in HID mode, the virtual keyboard doesn't show up since it detects the arduino as a full blown keyboard

Different guy but:
>US
>ATT
Want
>IP67 or better
>good regular camera, don't give a shit about selfies
>removable battery
>unlocked bootloader or otherwise easily rooted
>microSD slot support for at least 64gb
>good battery life
Will primarily be used for mobile Internet and as a camera, I dont do games or emulation or anything requiring super powerful processors or tons of ram.