Women

I've been teaching myself to code for the past couple of months in my free time, and I love it. I can do it for hours on end and completely forget to eat and sleep. It's always been on the back burner in my mind, and I've messed around with it before on a casual level.
I've been working my way backwards, starting with JS. I've made some websites and applications for fun and I have an idea for another I'm excited to work on after summer exams. My ultimate goal is to get into more server-side stuff. I have a burning desire to build things, or even just fix them. I also have an itch to build a robot for no reason, but more on that later.
Anyway, I'm wrapping up my first two years at college (all gen eds), which is exciting because I've also been working full-time since high school, and was so nervous about striking a balance. But I made it.
I'm deciding now if I'd like to major in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. I know CS degrees are memes, but I'll be the first in my family to ever graduate from college, so it's still important to me to get a degree in something. As long as I get to work with computers, it doesn't matter much to me what it's called. I'm still not sure which I should pick, and am looking into the "day to day" job functions each may have compared to the other. There's some slight overlap.

Anyway, this all being said. I've been lurking 4chins (and lain, 8, etc) since I was a kid. I pretty much grew up on this site. I am used to how women are perceived here, and I just don't/can't care. It's hard to get a rise out of me, and I've never actually told anyone I was talking to that I was a girl/revealed my gender in any way until right now, so it's just not been relevant. We might have even talked on this board before.
I see a lot on here about women being bad at coding. Why do you think that is? I feel as though I've picked it up relatively quickly, but I also know I'll reach a point where I won't be able to teach myself, which is why.....

Nice blog faggot.

I'm going to go to school for it. I don't think I suck/write shitty code though.
Do you consider confirmation bias when you say these things? So many girls I know are just dumb so I can see why a lot of you think what you do, but have you ever been impressed by something a girl's made? There's a girl on the development team at my job (I'm in a non-tech department) but she built our website from scratch (back and front end) and it's won awards. She's only 22. I've talked to her a few times, and she honestly seems like she knows about everything.

I mean, I guess I don't really care. It's just late and my brain is running away from me. I'm still going to pursue this thing I love, but I'm just wondering if all the men sitting around me will just think I'm an idiot the whole time/reinforce their confirmation bias if I make any mistakes.

I really love doing this. I hope the whole time I'm doing it my classmates/coworkers won't think I'm useless. Even though it shouldn't matter, it's hard for anyone to feel that way.

No one builds websites from scratch anymore. Everyone uses the shitty framework of the month.

How good are you at math?

>I see a lot on here about women being bad at coding. Why do you think that is?
Because programming benefits from traits and patterns of thoughts that:
>are significantly more common in men (ie. male mean is higher)
>are relatively rare in the population, meaning high variation makes them more likely to get "over the threshold" (and men have higher variance in vast majority of traits)
>are reinforced by culture which treats males as depersonalized operators of machines

Doesn't mean women can't be good programmers. But it makes it much harder.
A woman seriously getting into programming is like a 5'7" dude trying to get really good at basketball. Possible? Sure. Feasible? Way less so.

Female coders / tech industry are generally perceived as bad because all the "get women into tech" initiatives bring women into tech that really shouldn't have been there in the first place.
There actually are a few women that Sup Forums agrees are great. You'll see who if you pay attention. They're the ones that would be there naturally, that know their shit, and make cool things.
Pick CE, knowing at least a little architecture is important and will be getting more important, and they tend to gloss over that in CS.
Please drop javascript, it is cancer. If you want JIT develop for pypy or something.

No need to be insecure about you or your skills, OP. You don't need validation from others. You'll earn that anyway if you're actually passionate about computers.

The only time women impressed me was in other subjects, like painting. Building a regular website from scratch isn't impressive.

Women I've seen in IT are usually on the social side. They go to hack/programming events and talk about how special they are for being female. Please don't be(come) like this, respect yourself.

So how long have you been on Sup Forums, 1 hour?

Nah, honestly, the way you describe it you sound like a typical Sup Forums fella. Reminds me a lot of myself, actually. Can't stop learning code for shit, barely making a break for food and sleep, first in my family to get a degree, very excited to work my way up in the field, etc. Whether you have a cock or a cunt between your legs is irrelevant in this case IMO.

Tech is a meritocracy. Do good work and you'll be fine.

CE will get you a job easier. A bachelor's degree doesn't go too deep anyway, so the balance of EE and CS will allow you to answer any technical question interviewers will give you. That being said, if you really love just software, do CS and get a master's+.

Tits or GTFO.

Nobody actually gives a fuck about your gender, you're taking memes too seriously.

Most people are dumb as fuck, not just women. It's just that dumb women can still easy mode their way through most careers by abusing the fact that most of their co-workers/bosses have dicks. The lazy NEETs here are just jealous that most women can live their dream life by simply existing and smiling occasionally.

Basically I'm saying most people are bad at their job, but women get more flack for it because of how they take advantage of MEN to get by anyways

Women being bad at tech is a meme perpetuated by immature thinking. I've been doing professional software development for years and know plenty of very talented female engineers.

idk if this is bait but get a software engineering degree. If your school provides the proper program, it's a full engineering degree, just like me or ce (so you have to take higher level maths), but it's more than just 'coding' like a CS degree. It's more about how a system is put together, gathering and testing requirements and /then/ implementation and unit/deployment testing. If your school doesn't offer it as a certified engineering degree, though, it's just another meme degree. Anyway nobody cares if you're a girl

Also, "degrees are a meme" is a meme. Having a degree positions you for a vast ocean of jobs that wouldn't look twice at a self-taught engineer. It's a smart investment.

>Women being bad at tech is a meme perpetuated by immature thinking.
This meme needs to die.
The one you posted, not the one you're complaining about.

Women are worse at tech. This is a simple statistical fact.
Some of the best women can overcome it, but it doesn't mean women, as a whole, aren't terrible at tech.

You should be in the kitchen not taking jobs from superior workers due to diversity hiring.

I don't think that's a great analogy, it would be more like a random Chinaman trying to get into basketball vs a randomly chosen basketball American.

The physical difference between chinamen and basketball americans is far smaller than difference in mental traits and capabilities between men and women.

[citation needed]

nice blog faggot

kill yourself

These traits and patterns of thoughts that are more common in men might be because we have been raised to develop those things as a child. Can we develop these traits by playing with dolls? I don't think so. But can football train our brains to predict outcomes? I think it can.

Go with computer engineering instead of computer science. Computer science is mostly just math and algorithms and learning to think. Computer engineering will get you pretty much the same thing but also electrical engineering.

good luck user, all i got to say.

There is more to that than just development.
An autist playing with dolls as a child is still likely to get better abstract spatial reasoning than a girl playing football once they both mature.

Wow nice blog post you fucking faggot. Kill yourself.

Because it is more often true than not. As a manager level guy in a big software company, I can say that most women that apply are less skilled than men. They often started learning CS just because of "muh facebook" and "muh web design and other easy stuff" and as such when they realize how much work learning real programming is, they never want to put much effort into it.

Men tend to be more competitive so they strive to improve more easily.

I've met a few very talented women in the field though.

Also it's a lot easier for you to get a job if you have ANY skills cause of gender quotas and stuff.

>I also know I'll reach a point where I won't be able to teach myself

Now there is a mistake. In software industry you can never reach that point. In most cases there is NO ONE to teach you and you have to learn by yourself, with only google to help you. Sometimes not even that. So you need decent problem solving skills to survive.

sleep snip, kit

That and women tend to be the center of attention in CS school. I'm not throwing a stone here, it's easier when someone offer to do most of the work.

Women are different from men. First off there is more variance in male intelligence. That means there's many more highly intelligent men than women, which is needed for technology in general. This is highly genetic.

Men have also developed their logical and spacial thinking skills more, due to evolutionary pressure. For most of human history only the most successful males have had kids, while most females had kids. Males are the ones who compete for females. Due to their provider roles males had to develop not only a stronger physique, but a "stronger" mind as well.

Women instead developed better social, emphatic and nurturing skills. I also think women might be better at memorization and regurgitation, which is why they do better in school but worse in work-life. Now that's genetics, which are not PC to talk about.

There's probably a environmental factor as well, but these days it is very small. The majority of it probably comes from girl's female peers.

Now if you actually are a girl(tits or gtfo) and both do well at programming and actually use this website you are a rare deviation.

There's a large group not in it for programming. Most I've seen are the "user can you help me fix this please hehe" kind which I kindly tell to leave. That's why.

I wish it would be different but with so many who just can't grasp concepts within this field I don't see it chaning anytime soon. I'm teaching my 8 year old sister but expect her to be one of the few real programmers out there who won't reply on body parts to get promotions.

Nice source on that graph you piece of shit

>Men have also developed their logical and spacial thinking skills more, due to evolutionary pressure. Males are the ones who compete for females. Due to their provider roles males had to develop not only a stronger physique, but a "stronger" mind as well.
[citation needed]

>There's probably a environmental factor as well, but these days it is very small. The majority of it probably comes from girl's female peers.
[citation needed]

It's really quite sad that sjw's are polluting the differences between men and women and trying to play it off as a social construct. Male and female difference should compliment eachother. Instead we're being told there isn't any difference at all

Why so mad beefcheeks?

>website from scratch
Did she write her own compiler?

is math related to science

I'd ask you to show tits and leave but you're an obvious shill. Go fuck yourself

tits or gtfo

You don't normally hear this, at not on 4chin.
But Hitler was right; men and women are "equal but different".

That's just your opinion that isn't a fact, man.

So men and women are neither equal nor different then?

Different and thus non-equal.

These thoughts and doubts you have...male programmers have them too. But no one cares so we just shut up about it and get to work. Stop being an attention whore.

not sure if posting this to /r/iiamverysmart or /r/justneckbeardthings, although what's the equivalent for a neckbeard gurl, a legbeard?

just shut the fuck up. nobody cares

>what's the equivalent for a neckbeard gurl
An attention whore who pretends to be into male hobbies.

Nice citation bro

.....OK gigs up. Post dick.

>Post extensive blogpost about feelings and looking for validation
Fuck off?

No one cares bitch

I don't think I have a bias agains women when it comes to coding, I guess it's just I don't know a lot of women that do.

I am not saying I'm an awesome programmer but I feel most programmers in my college don't have as much experience as me, the only real friend I have has almost as much time coding as I do so it's really fucking easy to talk to him about this subjects and I hope someday I can get to know a woman that does the same.

>In software industry you can never reach that point. In most cases there is NO ONE to teach you

Totally agree bro, I've been teachin myself for almost 9 years and it's sad to see many of colleagues stuck with the college mentality of needing a course catalogue with scheduled classes and teachers otherwise they can't do it.

you won't. If you're lucky and over a 5/10 in looks, you'll fund some attention whore who pretends to be interested in what you do, while daydreaming about the Gucci your credit card will get her.

Fuck off OP.

Oh I don't want a woman that programs to marry her or something of the sort, I'm just interested in hearing interesting computer stuff from a girl, rather than
> I do word
I don't consider myself attractive, I can pull some chicks when groomed and in mood but right now I'm in a Tom Leykis kind of mood, I just want to make my money and have free pussy now and then.

Why do you think more men go into stem feilds?

found the faggot that only uses frameworks

I guess it depends on what you are planning to program. I'm currently working on a 4chin clone and I found that (in my personal opinion) it would be better to write it from the ground up on a different language and with some new features and I'm also working on the native android app; it is time consuming and unfortunately I wont have time to code the web frontend of the site as my semmer break ends in less than a month.

I do believe it'll perform better and I'm taking it as a journey to learn AWS and a little bit of devOps.

There are a lot of insecure women who scream "its because I'm a girl, isn't it!?" every time some friendly sperg offers constructive criticism or advises them against doing something stupid (which they do to everyone). If you've honestly achieved everything you mentioned in that wall-of-text people will be able to smell that you know what you are doing and won't give you much grief.

Spergs are rude to everyone; that's our culture. joining in the trash-talk is how we keep each other humble and hungry, just like any good sports team does.

I know there are some cold-blooded assholes out there, but it might be better for your sanity to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they're trying to treat you like one of their peers when they trash-talk girl coders.

> that's our culture
You have a shit culture.

you have a shit opinion

Shit, but correct nevertheless.
Also you spergs would never invent Unix or TCP; your limit is to repack Linux distros and shill them on Sup Forums.

plenty of women coders when i went on work experiences at my dads workplace.

Women are coders.
Men are programmers.

>which is why.....

your going to show us your tits now that you showed off your pussy cat? I'm sorry I couldn't help but complete your thought. You may proceed my lady.

why does the cat cry?

Because it sees a whole generation swirling down the toilet, deluded by insincere ideologues, misled with promises of strong nation, economy, and morality into accepting policies that will grant them neither, but which will ruin their lives, health, and job security.

Keep it up and you might get a ring from someone who isn't a complete moron

Hi hi, this is OP. Sorry, I fell asleep last night but.
Anyway, would you be open to working on something like this with another person?

Also, I appreciate the insight, the good and the bad.
Thanks anons

I'm not that much of a team player, but if it comes to code I love chill collabs with beer and pizza.

How long have you been coding?

It sounds like you've found your passion, which is awesome. Don't give up on it because of what people might think of you. In my experience, guys have been pretty friendly and willing to help a woman. As long as you don't constantly call attention to the fact that you're female, nobody cares.

this.
I usually hate evryone equally, but I specially hate attention hoes.