/wt/ - watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4 [Open]

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:
→ #

Other urls found in this thread:

watchguy.co.uk/swatch-group-parts-policy/
watchtime.net/uhren-wissen/was-kostet-eine-uhrenrevision-12-marken-und-ihre-preise/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Patel felipe.

Should I get this amphibia for equivalent of 30 euros?

Who?

you linked the wrong thread,

fuck no

That shit is disgusting and I say it as a former slavshit collector.

Looking to get a low end 100-200£ minimalistic looking watch. All I've seen that I like is Skagen, anything else I could look at that fits my description?

>russian watches
seriously, why

they're ugly as fuck, they don't keep good time, and did I mention they're ugly as fuck?

do uggo neckbeard failures see these watches as a reflection of themselves? is that why BOCKTOK and PAKETA is so popular on Sup Forums?

or is it a running joke I'm just not picking up on?

What can I get in Seiko 5's price range that isn't a Seiko?

Honestly I bought an amphibia to go camping and shit like that because it was cheap i didn't care about it and it is super waterproof. Turns out its so inaccurate its useless as a watch, the lume is horrible, and it just generally sucks.I returned it but i do miss it sometimes. It sucked but it was a cool object and it was cheap. Ill probably pick an se up at one point just to wear in the worst possible environments.

>What can I get in Seiko 5's price range that isn't a Seiko?

Quartz watches.

BOCTOK XDDDD

A noose

Sift through Ebay. Tons of cool vintage watches.

Or save your money a bit longer and get something nice.

>Or save your money a bit longer and get something nice
Give me some recommendations.

Jaquet Droz "charming bird"; suits just about any occasion.

Love this automatic citizen diver I picked up for 90€.

Patek Philipe Grand Master Chime

is this bait?

Why would it be?

Hi

I might have no taste but Seiko 5 looks better.

The thing about shitters. meaning any watch up to 500 dollars is that they are disposable. Service costs are expensive. If you buy a sarb033 for example. You are spending 400+ dollars but the movement is worth the same price as a service. So its usually better to either replace the entire movement instead of having the watch serviced. If you can toss your movement out and replace it for the same amount as a service the watch is not worth buying. The seiko5's are literally cheaper than a shitty mass produced movement. They are mean to be disposable watches. It will last you a long time i guess but when its done its done. You don't get to keep it. Its not accurate or nice either. If you are poor buy a seiko 5. If you cans save 600 dollars don't.

Well what style of watch do you like?

Mostly simple ones, not something showing most of the mechanism in it. I was thinking of something with a blue face.

Well if you are into a diver the blue Orient Ray II AA02005D is great value for money.

Hamilton has a blue dial field watch if you want to get something military looking and entry level swiss.

What brands make actually nice rectangle watches? Any with moon phases?

JLC

Jaeger-LeCoultre has the Reverso which is the ultimate rectangle watch. The steel versions are actually affordable, but I prefer gold for a dress watch.

Vacheron also makes some nice ones.

...And here's a JLC Reverso with a moon phase complication.

Greetings

Is this fixable?

Nice overseas. The tag is definitely the odd one out though.

Maybe, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Find someone that specializes in accutrons that isn't that fraud mybob.

Can you post pic of the movement of your Overseas?

How good is the finishing in real life?

Thanks. The tag is the watch I wear abroad. Also my first "nice" watch so it has a special place in my heart [spoiler]even though it's a quartz[/spoiler]

I like military design and Hamilton's look nice. That orient looks pretty good too, I don't have a diver yet, maybe I'll get it.

What is wrong with mybob

That VC is stunning. The hulk is a good wacth but i would personally never wear a green bezel face watch like that. the tag is shit.

The finishing is amazing. I like the contrast between the brushed and polished parts in the metal bracelet.I use the rubber strap mostly though because I don't want to scratch the metal bracelet

Yes I don't wear the hulk often, but it looks much better in person than in images. Agree with the tag lol but it's my first watch and I wear it when traveling to places where my other watches aren't appropriate

He doesn't know how to fucking service an accutron, and probably any watch for that matter. The only thing he did to my spaceview was scratch & bend the shit out of my kreisler and make the spaceview itself gain 6s per minute. I got a real watchmaker (watchmakeranon) to fix his fuckups thankfully.

Op why is it so hard for you to link the new thread in the previous one?

>The finishing is amazing. I like the contrast between the brushed and polished parts in the metal bracelet.I use the rubber strap mostly though because I don't want to scratch the metal bracelet

Man that looks stellar user. Your exact watch is my grail. I think VC really nailed it with the current Overseas collection whereas I think they kind of botched it before, both from a design standpoint (as they look really clunky and dated) and the movement not being in-house. I love my Explorer II but it's a daily beater as opposed to an ultimate grail piece you buy for the horological perfection.

I bought this recently.
How did I do?

Terrible, why are you even asking?

> I think VC really nailed it with the current Overseas collection whereas I think they kind of botched it before, both from a design standpoint (as they look really clunky and dated)
I agree with you on this one, although I think we are a minority in our preference for the newer model's design. I really, really like this watch and like the fact that it flies under the radar most of the time (vs an AP RO or a rolex) which is a key reason for why I like it. But I think than you should keep that in mind, because not a lot of people would appreciate shelling out £19K for something and not drawing a lot of attention from it.

Pretty nice, I like the blue dial and orange hand thing gives it a 70s vibe. But I think it would look better with a different bezel and band.

>But I think than you should keep that in mind, because not a lot of people would appreciate shelling out £19K for something and not drawing a lot of attention from it.

That's one of the reasons I like it. Stealth wealth is so much more classy than nigger bling shit like a two tone Royal Oak.

You are right, but they are cheap and fun to mod.

My thought process too lol. In the end, I'd prefer recognition from 1 watch enthusiast vs 10 "normal" people.

can you actually name the price range?
most expensive seiko 5 on amazon.com is $625.

>If you can toss your movement out and replace it for the same amount as a service the watch is not worth buying.
bullshit.
most workhorse movements are cheaper than a service, for example all Tudors with no in-house movement.

servicing only makes no sense if it's the same cost as the watch.

that's not stealth wealth but geeking out.
old money will look down on you for being such a weird geek.

top grade eta's cost more than a service my man.

pls go

>can you actually name the price range?
>most expensive seiko 5 on amazon.com is $625
Well I got mine for equivalent of about $100 so I've been thinking of up to $150-200.

Who else /waiting/ for their watch to come back from the watch man? My lord marvel is in for service right now and I'm dying to get it back.

I'm pretty sure anyone would look down on me for being such a weird geek.

high beat seiko is only seiko i would ever buy.

36000 jewels ?!

This is why the Japs beat the Swiss

>top grade eta's cost more than a service my man.
how much do you think an eta movement and service by tudor's service center costs?

considering that both fast-beat movements and seiko are service nightmares that sounds strange.

top grade movement customized by eta is easily over 500 usd whereas a service is going to be around 300.

I don't really like seikos but at least the movement in that watch is interesting. Having said that i would still never buy it. Its just the only one i would buy.

With all this talk of service costs and whatnot answer me this. What is the highest grade luxury watch with the lowest cost to service?

Its all pretty much the same. if its a top brand watch with no complications and its not a chronograph you are pretty much paying the same service cost. ETA's are actually typically cheaper to service if you are willing to go third party as everyone can service them. But spending 4k on an ETA based watch is sort of a waste. But honestly if you didn't care about resale then a second hand non cuck axial eta 2892-a2 non chrono Omega would probably be a good buy(if low service costs were your number one priority).

Tudor modifies the movement themselves, you can't just drop in any other garbage base-grade 2824 from Otto Frei or whatever.

>ETA's are actually typically cheaper to service if you are willing to go third party as everyone can service them.
bullshit.
Swatch hates third parties since 2016 and wont sell spare parts to them:
watchguy.co.uk/swatch-group-parts-policy/

for Germany (and in German but table should be self-explanatory):
watchtime.net/uhren-wissen/was-kostet-eine-uhrenrevision-12-marken-und-ihre-preise/

There are still tons of parts floating around but you are right that it will no longer be the case in the future... sort of... sellita makes the same movement and even manufactured the movements for swatch. They are still producing parts. Also certain third parties are able to get omega parts.

I don't know about new watches, but I can say you'd better be ready to spread those cheeks if you want to get a 50 year old watch serviced. Omega starts at like $1000 for a basic service for a vintage 3-hand date chronometer and you have to mail it in to Switzerland and wait for several months probably. I ended up going to a third party watchmaker instead and it was still like $600+ and they didn't totally fuck up but I also wasn't super happy with how they did.

>right hand
weeew

Love me some good scratches

cartier

You did good.

What triggers you design-wise? For me it is 4 o'clock date windows.

suck benis

>former
What happened?

Stay mad.

That's 4:30. This is 4 o clock.

And 4:30 is a great place for it, so it doesn't bother me.

blyat amphibia
this parnis with ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, highbeat miyota movement and solid end links (stuff that you'd see on watches in the $500+ range)

i don't like that, but i mainly hate subdials that cut into the numerals. it just makes the watch feel like no time or effort went into designing it

How many of you use a daily wearer that cost more than one thousand dollars ?

What is /wt/s opinion on MVMT and Timex watches?

All my daily wears are now over $1k. Honestly after putting on a good watch it simply feels bad now to use a cheap shitter, even ironically.

nope. i have £1200 saved up, but everything at that price point is fucking trash, so i'm just saving for a 1601. most expensive now is my alpinist, paid £270, go for £310 now

illegibility.

Hands that are thin and either don't contrast enough with the dial or whatever to make it impossible to tell time at a glance. If the watch has thin hands then they better be black and that dial should be bright white.

Legibility and accuracy are the bare minimums for me.

Things like a date window, ruggedness and a power reserve are nice to haves.

It's why I bought pic related over similar options in the price range. I can tell time on this dial from the other side of the room.

timex are good because they are priced well and good quality for the money. MVMT are overpriced marketing trash for retards who have never worn a watch before.

they are cute

for me, that screams "FUCK, I'M SO FUCKING RUGGED!" a little too loudly.

That looks pretty damn good. I've been wanting to get a diver. I'll probably get this one, thanks user. Thinking about the one on leather strap as bracelets don't sit well on my small wrist.

>both fast-beat movements and seiko are service nightmares that sounds strange.
why is that? parts availability?

I've heard low end diashock springs are hard to service but that's supposed to be less of a problem on the higher end movements

I do.

Co worker brought me in more watches but after last week when you guys told me chances are the once was radioactive I'm a bit spooked to open this one up. Do these look ok?

Got this Timex chronograph wr 50m for $2.50. My first watch ever, did I fuck up?

You certainly did not fuck up.
Epic win i'd say.

the leather it comes with is probably awful but that can always be replaced, and the leather one is cheaper so i guess.

For $2.50 who cares. If you like it, wear it.

I need help finding a bracelet. I need an 18mm stainless steel solid link oyster style bracelet. Basically the exact bracelet pictured but in 18mm and one that costs preferable under 100 dollars.

That VC is pretty dope.

My dad has a green sub. Only wears it on St Pattys. Fucker...

lick it and find out

Did a potato take this photo?

God I love the design on that case, but really not a fan of that dial.
If they just brought it a bit farther away from "sporty", outline the batons and numerals in polished steel, dropped the power reserve indicator, it would be perfect

left could be radioactive, no way but a giegercounter to check though

The bulova could be?