/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux#Debian
devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stable-jessie-announce-052517
reddit.com/r/copypasta/comments/4a8fs4/i_hate_death_grips/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have a modem connected to a wi-fi router (netgear). I'm using a wired connection. I used to connect the modem to the router and then a wired connection from the router to my pc. Everything worked.

Now, I can only access the internet by connecting my pc to the modem but the wifi still works if I connect my router to my modem.

Also I can't access the configuration page of the modem.

>have you tried to turn it off and on again
yes

First for:
musl c
busybox
llvm
clan

I'm posting this request hoping for different answers and suggestions. A guy already suggested me to install Minidlna on Xubuntu, but won't this make the computer a server? I need to turn the Xubuntu computers into clients that can view the files that are stored on the server using Windows.

So the question is:
What's the easiest way to share media content (movies, videos, music, e-docs ecc.ecc.) between a server running Windows Server 2008 and multiple computers running Xubuntu? We tried to configure Plex but we encountered several issues.

I hate Ubuntu. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:

Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Redhat. Redhat basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Gnome, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Redhat has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.

Ubuntu on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from Debian with each release. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @ubuntu or @cannocial email addresses in upstream changelogs.

So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.

Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.

What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.

If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!

What's the best distro for AMD GPU performance?

I run openSUSE,

by the way is that some pasta?

All of them

Using KDE

>Snap window to the right side
>Maximize it
>Restore it
>It doesn't restore it to its original snapped position, but some pixels lower leaving a small gap on top

why

It's not your concern what distro is being used by others. You are nearly as retarded as Stallman is.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you proprietary slave? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at Harvard, and I’ve been involved in numerous free software projects, and I have contributed to over 300 core-utils for GNU. I am skilled in Lisp and I’m St. IGNU-cius, saint of the Church of Emacs. You are nothing to me but just another unethical non-free software advocate. I will distribute the fuck out of your source code with freedom the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about me and the GPL on the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my colleagues at FSF and your binaries are being reversed engineered right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your copyright. You're fucking dead, kid. Free software can be anywhere, anytime, and it can ensure your freedom in over four ways, and that’s just with the GPLv2. Not only am I extensively skilled at hacking, but I have access to the source of the entire GNU userland and core-utils and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable proprietary code off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what ethical retribution your little “clever” program was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have ensured your users' freedom. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit free as in freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Please go away RH shill.

Anything with up to date mesa+kernel

What Linux distro treats gigabytes as 1024 megabytes?

GNU/Linux*

I once tried to make a resizer, press some shortcut, it shows a grid representing your screen, select squares from the grid, your window gets resized to that shape and position.

I gave up because they windows never moved to the exact position I gave them because the window's border and title are not counted in the window size and there's no easy way to get that information.

So probably something related. Xlib sucks.

fucking windows

>install new wifi card into sister's computer
>boot 'er up
>stuck on a black screen with a spinning circle
>fuck no, that card's new ya cunts
>unplug card
>still nothing
>oh_fuck.gif
>unplug wireless mouse & keyboard adapter
>it boots
>wat
>install card back in
>it boots
>plug in adapter and reboot
>it boots

apparently not an isolated bug

Is there a way to tell loonix to recognize a PS3 controller as a 360 one?

I'm getting tired of almost every game I try thinking that face buttons are a d-pad or some shit.

No

Yes

Maybe

I don't know, try asking somewhere

>loonix
rude

Can you repeat the question?

Windows? It uses the usb number for driver configuration. Some guy I know always had to reinstall his printer whenever he plugged the printer into a different usb port.

install gentoo

that might be it, plugged the adapter into another port

but how the fuck does a simple wireless adapter fuck the system over so hard

Never
mind
I
found
out
how
thanks

yer whalecum

"Ubuntu for Niggers" will probably be your best bet.

No problem.

Let me be honest. I don't like Arch, but without its wiki, life wouldn't be the same.

that's racist

Reasons for switching to zsh

You like cocks in your asshole at all times

If you dont like running software created by niggers(bash)

bad thread

Question!

Simple 3d design (sketchup) in linux - what's the best?
Sketcup in wine? OpenCAD? Blender?

I really just need something simple and newbiefriendly.

It's GNAA approved, Linux is no longer just for whitey

How do i get mp3 support in Buntu? I dont wanna install flash and java

Good day, gentoomen,
What's the best resource for learning networking on Linux? I'm currently learning bash and would like to eventually get employed as Linux sysadmin but don't know where to start..

Where can I change the color saturation without using icc profiles on Linux?

So /fglt/ I need to put this fucker to sleep once and for all.

I have a performance issue in general that is not normal. Most applications that make use of my GPU are not behaving correctly. I'm getting stuttering while browsing and playing games of any type, demanding and not demanding. I've been trying to solve this for several days now and I have tried everything.

I'm using openSUSE tumbleweed, but I tried manjaro and kubanto as well and I have the same exact problem.

Logs

Will my RPG Maker H-games like Violated Heroine and 2D eroge like the Rance or Eushully games work on Linux?
What about 3D H-games like those from Illusion and KISS?
What about popular H-modded games like Oblivion or Skyrim?

Is it important to switch to Wayland now?

I use a Logitech G602 because it has many buttons so that I can use programs onehanded. I really like those many buttons and mouse profiles automatically switching when I switch a program. Am I basically fucked because Logitech won't make Linux mouse drivers?

I figured out at least that I don't have such a problem if I'm using XFCE with compositing and vsync enabled.

It's KDE. But I do not know how to fix KDE. I use a 280x.

>weeb shit
Check appdb
>wayland
There is no reason to switch to wayland.
>logitech
>automatically
Not automatically but you can easily create profile with xbindkeys and swap between them when needed

If you want our help,you need to provide us with what we ask,otherwise no one knows how/why can help you.Being this vague makes people ignore your posts

Is Buntu related to the Bantu? Who are the Buntu, where do they come from, where do they go?

True, that was rude of me. I just desperately wanted shit to work so I tried other stuff. I came to the conclusion that the compositor in KDE is responsible for this so at least that's a hint of what might be wrong.

Where might I find logs in relation to that? I know the problem comes with having compositing enabled.

Run said programs in a terminal and pipe stdout to a file as you run it and as it errors or such. Dmesg could help too

>When your parents ask you what a linux is

openSUSE Tumbleweed or Arch?

Arch

whatever you end up liking more

There is no such distro.

If only the same could be said about niggers DAMN

Former is more stable

Arch ships packages directly from upstream.When upstream decides the package is ready for a release,they release it.Claiming it is "more stable" is moot.Its the same packages

Redpill me on LXC and why has Red Hat deprecated it?

I know Fedora ships with gnome3, but how bad is its kde support and implementation?

How do I install various DE's on the same distro without breaking everything?

By just installing them. Which distribution are you using? How do you start your x environment?

Debian stable, lightDM

Most eroge run fine, Eushully could be tricky though.

There is probably a way to chose the DE with LightDM. Just look at the documentation.

>implementation
Why do you idiots think that's a thing? They all use the same KDE Plasma as released upstream. They all have the same features.
Just another idiot falling for the myth and meme spreaders on here.

I managed to install KDE, Xfce and Gnome 3 on openSUSE without much trouble.

It has helped me check what's wrong with my setup. Definitely I see Gnome is performing flawlessly, while KDE gives me jerky scrolling on some applications. Maybe it's because of wayland.

Yo,

I want to do two things on Gnome: Have some sort of global menu and have some window tiling that supports resizing with the mouse.

Do those things exist?

Someone should edit:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux#Debian

Because Devuan actually got a stable release:
devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stable-jessie-announce-052517

>devuan
is replacing systemD reason to fork damn whole OS?

pic rel. anyone use clipper actions?

The Devuan devs are bunch of autistic faggots, just read their statements

Is this still a problem in current year? mp3 is no longer patent encumbered.

How long til KDE supports wayland?

Yet another containerization standard that app arose as a response to docker hype. If I had to guess they are deprecating it because systemd is driving changes to the kernel's relevant ABIs and no-one can be bothered maintaining it.

I think you can still use other window managers with gnome, so look for one that gives you what you want and look into how to replace the wm in gnome. I don't know what a global menu is.

Basically the ability to put the application dropdown menus on a panel instead of the application window, similar to Unity and (optionally) KDE. Or macOS.

These days it pretty much is, they have done more than just changing what packages are installed by default though. Because a bunch of core packages have to be adapted to working with eudev and so on.

Is there anyway to use the Deepin DE with openrc rather than systemd?

>inb4 chink botnet
I use xiaomi phones, i'm sure i'm already in some Chinese phone log.

I burned a debian netinst image to usb with YUMI and when booting it, /install.amd/vmlinuz not found printed.
The image is good, what is the problem?

LXC is still maintained, but Red Hat stopped supporting it
Docker serves a different purpose. it is not comparable to LXC, apart from using the same kernel features

LXC is more like OpenVZ

>’

That's copypasta, faggots.

reddit.com/r/copypasta/comments/4a8fs4/i_hate_death_grips/

>burned to usb
?

I am complete newfag who doesnt belong on your board. Only here out of desperation. I updated ubuntu, it booted up fine but once I log in I get pic related.

I tried to put my old ubuntu cd in but it jusr doesnt read it. I have fedora on a thumb drive and it doesnt read that either. Just boots normally.

Computer is a decade old piece of junk.

...help?

>I have fedora on a thumb drive and it doesnt read that either. Just boots normally.
Change the boot order so it checks for usb.

in ur bios*

Does anyone hve like a guide on how i can increase the size of my root partition? I have heaps of GB in my home directory and i want to move that into my root directory without corrupting anything.
The partition type is Linux Filesystem

I dunno about resizing and shit but if you want everything in your home partition you could just copy everthing on your root partition into your home one, edit fstab to mount what was /home as root, reboot.

arch wiki covers this

Why would XFCE recognises two monitors even though I have only one? And the bad part is that my screen is the second one, so I can't see anything on the "first" screen.

so using devuan i found myself opening a pdf just to see that there are missing blocks of text not being rendered, searched on google and found on the poopler bug list that i needed to install poopler-data, which was already installed (saying it was manually installed) i reinstalled it and nothing changes, xpdf, okular, evince, mupdf all of them fail to render the text, chromium built in pdf reader show the file correctly so i'm sure it's not the file being empty or something similar.
Have i fallen for a bad taste meme ?

I've been thinking of switching to OpenSUSE from KDE Neon. Is Leap or Tumbleweed more highly recommended? Also, is there an easy way to keep my encfs home dir or will I have to back op my shit and copy it back?

Hey /fglt/, burger here. Since we're loosing net neutrality here in the states, over the net few years tiny ISPs will be pushed out and bigger ones will gain monopolies. At first they'll just throttle access to servers of their competitors or their partners competitors. After that, they'll throttle and then charge extra to access it. Eventually, they'll just ban it.
First lemmie say, bye Sup Forums, it was interesting knowing you all.
Second, you all must realizse that Microsoft will be a parter to ALL the ISPs, right?
...So how the fuck will I download any GNU/Linux ISOs? For the next two weeks I'm planning to download and hoard ISOs from all the big or useful distros, Ubuntu, Xbuntu, Arch, Debian, Suse, Qubes, Tails, Heads, Kali, Slitaz, DSL, Puppy, Devuan, Knoppix, Elementary, Byzantium, Tinycore, etc etc. I figure after MS has has their partner ISPs cut access to the websites of these distros people could ask me to mail ISOs to them on CDs.

But those will all be old eventually! How the fuck will we get updates?! What the fuck will we do? Fucking ask Eurofags to mail us updates? We're going up end up like Cubas internet. Don't say torrents because torrents will be banned outright because piracy is a direct competitor to the TV streaming services that ISPs offer.

Could be just using a font that you don't have installed.

mmmm, sounds pretty unlikely to be honest. For microsoft to get ISPs to block linux distro distribution sites. What about torrents and ftp such? Distros are already mirrored and hundreds of random servers acting as CDNs.
The threat of fast-laning and whatnot is more about services with a gateway that are easy to target, if anything it will affect the silo-like sites more.

you're better off hoarding source code and binaries, not redundant linux kernels and packages.

The internet isn't built in a way that enables blocking of arbitrary communication in this manner. If it gets to this point, you've found yourself in a crisis more pressing than a censored internet.

Is there a way to copy the EXACT mouse settings from a Windows OS to a distro?

I am having a great deal of problems with kubuntu but the worst one is the mouse settings