/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/gn2gWX
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/kqr2Cy
pcpartpicker.com/product/x7s8TW/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-video-card-gtx-1050-ti-4gt-oc
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/KmM323/msi-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-2gh-lp-oc-video-card-gt-1030-2gh-lp-oc
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/RMXChq
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9#Hardware_implementations
pcpartpicker.com/list/HgMJ9W
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is it worth the extra $30 to get a modular gold power supply?

Depends on how heavily you use your computer (& at what load)
If you use it a real lot and do gaming stuff (so uses a lot of both CPU and GPU) so 2 - 3 hours a day at least then yeah definitely, very worth in the long run
Otherwise not so much, but getting a good/better PSU never really hurt anyone

I need a graphics card that is somewhat Ok that I can put in my dell optiplex 755 without exploding my PSU. What should I use. Pls repond.

not really. its not something that actually effects the computer's performance. If I recall, the CXM 450 is on a good 'sale' rn if you want a cheap good quality semi-modular.

>that pre-build layout
Literally got me at half chub.

>this thread

The most beautiful VGA I have seen!

nice dynamic ip you got there user, i thought you needed a static one working at a business

Some GT 1030 maybe?
Or old used GT 720?

maybe a single fan 1050ti....if it is short enough

Is that msi? They do good GPUs. My 660 is still going strong

Remember to report shitposters / spammers everyone.
He already got his ban once, he'll get a longer one now hopefully.

is this a troll?

1050ti would probably be your best bet. As long as it doesn't require a 6/8 pin connection you'll be fine.

>AMD
fuck off you fucking faggot shill

He probably meant GPU instead of VGA

Is that a NF-U14S?
Isnt it going to block the first RAM slot?
Thinking about getting one.

wtf I clicked on why did it put that post num?

Sup Forums is worse than Sup Forums

Reposting

>How'd I do? Still umming and arring over a few pieces (maybe Vega?) as this will be a slow to see life build considering GPU prices. Got the case and PSU so far
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/gn2gWX

Anywhere I can shave off some dollars whilst keeping aesthetics?

>Isnt it going to block the first RAM slot?
No, it's not wide enough to get anywhere close to it
The NH-D15 however is close enough to get very close to it (and is the only one along the D14 to do that), but it has an S version making the heatsink start higher and the fans can be put higher too so it's all good

>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/gn2gWX
1600X is not worth, just buy the 1600. Also the extra case fans aren't really needed. You should put that money into bigger storage, 250gb isn't gonna last long.

No it's not a troll, a Dell prebuilt is probably a garbage PC and since he said "somewhat ok" i'm assuming his iGPU died or something like that so he doesn't need something that can actively game well

I'd get an air cooler instead of that because it'll perform better at the same price, or similarly at a cheaper one
I'd also get a 1600 instead and overclock it to 3.8 - 3.9
Also jesus christ is that 1080ti expensive

wow, that guy must be like a super computer mechanic

REAL THREAD
remember to report and sage AMD shill threads

Forgot to quote for the second part of my message

Fuck off retard.

you can get 500gb sata ssd for like 20$. not worth paying extra for samsung m.2 meme, 1.5 sec shorter boot time isn't just worth it.
why pay a lot for cooler when ryzen won't ever go past 4.0GHz?

>RAM sticks aren't equidistant from each other

Even a garbo optiplex can handle a 1050ti, why waste money on something that won't even play 1080p video?

how do you get a job shilling at intel? i could use some extra $.

>something that won't even play 1080p video?
He never stated usage to begin with.

yeah, must be the same guy that made the 'glued together' slides :P

Not sure if falseflagging or newcomer not realising it's the same shitposters that wants the 7700k that is falseflagging as an intel shill but either way please stop

How much faster is the 1050 ti compared to the 1050?

I thought as much, it was only $30 so I just chucked it in as a place holder.
Better?
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/kqr2Cy

twice

a bit better

what did he mean by this

pcpartpicker.com/product/x7s8TW/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-video-card-gtx-1050-ti-4gt-oc
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/KmM323/msi-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-2gh-lp-oc-video-card-gt-1030-2gh-lp-oc
literally 30 dollars more

drop the cooler then, stock one is enough even for light OC. if you still want an aftermarket one then pick something cheaper.

You're comparing australian vs US prices

oh shit, had a link from earlier in the thread open and just used that for one of the searches. Sorry, my bad

still though, the card is a horrible value

Gotcha, just north of 2k. Thanks for the help user.
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/RMXChq

$60 for two 140mm fan is very expensive, can't you get cheaper ones?
The case already has two fan included though i have no idea of their size

Yea I'll switch them out for whatever fan is on special when I go there. The phantek fans seem to be quite well spoken of at $13/fan (on sale)

So I have an R5 1600 with 2933MHz sticks in dual channel, and am wondering about side-effects of running them at that speed compared to 2133MHz for a long duration. Especially if I don't particularly need the performance boost and wouldn't mind restarting to enable it.

Using the Wraith Spire, and enabling 2933MHz reconfigures the fan curve by default to run at double the idle RPM (900 -> 1800).

RAM should have no impact on your fan curve, just change it to normal. Now if it is somehow increasing your CPU temps by a significant amount then something else is happening. Maybe the motherboard is shoving too much voltage into the CPU or SOC which can happen if they're set to "Auto" on some boards.

Can't you manually set a fan curve? It's obviously a problem with the BIOS if increasing RAM frequency is somehow causing your fan curve to change.

>bought MSI intel z270 sli plus mobo
>not even planning to use SLI
did I fuck up

I guess so, but at least via Command Center I'm getting these random spikes occasionally (and I've seen it worse).

Maybe that's why it's boosting the speed?

>PSU was failing, replaced it
>May have damaged my GPU because windows won't detect it anymore
Kill me

It's a solid board, albeit a little pricey. Nah you did good

Bought it because if was 25% off

Even better. Consider me jelly. Where'd you get it 25% off?

Hook yourself up to your old PSU

It was on amazon however it is no longer discounted that much.

Is NZXT S340 a good enough case for budget build?

It doest matter, the resell price is still higher than an used mini atx or non sli motherboard, at that point it's like selling garbage.

23 inch 1080p monitor gaming rig

everything included it was just under 700

what you guys think? i've had no problems so far

Asus ROG something (i think this is R9 390 or 390X.)

naahhh, I prefer the other one. I'm talking about visual, not performance.

Part of the problem is that I reinstalled windows and now catalyst always ends up in an error saying that it failed to install

It's the best case for any build

I don't get it, whats the difference?

Oh great, I will be getting it then

>amd cpu + nvidia gpu

I seriously hope none of you do this

Length

Looks just a bit overpriced if it's used, also you an OCeable CPU in a mobo that doesn't support OC.

Why?

Let me just get a NVIDIA CPU real quick

Since you are blind let me help you.

oh no i built it new like a year or two ago

Intel cpu + nvidia gpu is the master race

So apart from size, they are basically the same?

You'd have to look up reviews as the one with the bigger cooler might hold boost clocks longer, run quieter or something along those lines. On paper they are virtually identical though.

Depends on how you use it

My own 3570K at 4.3Ghz will not play 4K60 videos on YouTube, regardless of hardware acceleration configuration (with a Radeon 7850/R7 265).

With that in mind, I'm building a desktop for my parents. Does anyone know the cheapest new CPU that will exceed this aforementioned benchmark?

Right, then l guess it's no bad. You could sell that 6600k and complete to buy a non-k 6700 which will perform way better and last longer, assuming you can find decent deals. Then do the same with the gpu next year when all cryptominers are genocided.

Radeon 7850/265 do not have hardware accelerated VP9 decoding and neither does your CPU. That's why it's slow.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9#Hardware_implementations

G4560 should work with the iGPU. Ryzen 3 with a 1030 GT or something similar would also work.

>G4560 should work with the iGPU

Someone was complaining on here in the past couple of days that it wouldn't play back 4K on Youtube smoothly, because I remember reading the post.

Quit fucking posting this pos dude, you've been posting it for almost a week now, its shit. You're lazy for not completing it and it looks ugly.

Maybe check kaby lake bechmarks first, for 4k 60 fps

4k30 should work, 4k60 AFAIK is experimental and isn't hardware supported widely yet. So you'll just need a beefy CPU for it right now generally. Maybe some of the new GPUs actually support 4k60 for VP9, not sure on that.

I'm building this and live in Norway.
pcpartpicker.com/list/HgMJ9W
Most of the parts are from my old build and I'll only be buying
-CPU
-Motherboard
-RAM
-AM4 CPU fan mounting kit
I also have two questions.

The RAM product number is CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and when checking against the mobo QVL CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W and CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R show up. Am I right to assume that these are just different color versions?

Can I use the thermal paste I used ~3 years ago? It's the nt-h1.

Feedback is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Yes they are just color variations as far as I can tell. And yes you can use the same paste as long as it is still in good condition and not dried out. If you kept it sealed in the tube it should be fine.

What a nice thread image. Thanks op

Too bad the LEDs can't do white well.

Filename is better

Any expectation as to when will they restock the GPUs that were bought by cryptominers?

Hi I bought a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU cooler and just realised it has a blue LED, I was going with white/black theme on my PC and a random blue LED does not fit, is there a way to remove it?

Just use a different 120mm fan ya dingus

Are GPU prices dropping yet?

New, no. They are coming back down on the used market though.

Isn't there a way without me having to buy more stuff?

Thanks!

>want a P400S
>nowhere local stocks it
>$40+ shipping
>makes it more expensive than getting an NZXT 340 from local
>340 is fine but it's not as aesthetically pleasing as the P400S

/Blog