Serious question. What legitimate reason is there to use windows, excluding gaymes...

Serious question. What legitimate reason is there to use windows, excluding gaymes, and given that the user is relatively well-knowledged in how to navigate either OS?

Seriously. What does w1nd0ze do that *nix physically cannot?

Other urls found in this thread:

spotify.com/us/download/linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's just ... easier.
I mean, I love linux, I've used it for a few years, but every once in a while I end up having to spend hours just to make something work properly, that's what kills it for me. I don't have time for this anymore

Windows has (or more likely HAD) programs that Linux didn't. Example good 3D modelling and rendering software. But now Linux has Blender and just yesterday I watched a 3D software comparison video and how Blender has some features that commercial programs don't and how commercial programs struggle to keep up with FOSS development.

Linux market share has increased over 12 months now and is expected to cross 3% mark in desktops this year. Over 70% of world's servers run Linux and it's increasing also. 99.6% of world's supercomputers run Linux. 80% of worlds mobile phones run Linux.

World is becoming increasingly FOSS as more and more people can access internet but can't afford buying new software every year.

And this is only a good thing.

All Autodesk's stuff is linux friendly, Maya, 3dsmax & etc

Since when? Maybe it is worth jumping ship now.

>What legitimate reason is there to use windows, excluding gaymes, and given that the user is relatively well-knowledged in how to navigate either OS?
Sentimental reasons. That's really it.

>every once in a while I end up having to spend hours just to make something work properly
Same on windows.

But that's not the point.

The point is that developing, releasing and updating new versions every years is damn expensive for Autodesk. In early 2000 FOSS development was light years behind proprietary development. But now we are seeing FOSS catching up and even bypassing proprietary software in terms of features and stability.

Maya is a pain to install on Ubuntu and 3ds Max doesn't support Linux at all.

>typo in fstab
>user is screwed with single user mode instead of given choice to ignore/edit

>typo in kernel boot parameters
>user is screwed with rescue CD instead of given choice to ignore/edit

this is why linux will never get 3%+ on desktop. Its made by autists.

>Seriously. What does w1nd0ze do that *nix physically cannot?

You can use Windows without ever having to open a terminal, whereas terminal knowledge is basically required to use Linux. The vast majority of users are not power users and don't want to take a course on bash commands to use their computer.

CATIA V6 is windows-only
so long unix

>You can use Windows without ever having to open a terminal, whereas terminal knowledge is basically required to use Linux.
But the same is true for Linux. There are normalfag flavors of linux distros for casual use that doesn't need somebody's grandmother to use CLI.

What are the best examples of this?

Pretty much ubuntu + associated flavors?

I have had to use the terminal numerous times on Ubuntu.

> typo in fstab
how should the OS ignore a typo in fstab?
The point of fstab is to define which partition to mount which way, if you make an error then the best way to not shoot yourself in the foot is aborting mount, which can propagate to aborting boot.
Remember that kernel filesystem drivers should never run on dirty file systems. They could just go crazy.

> typo in kernel boot parameters
how the fuck are you expecting the OS to handle this? I mean, just don't mess with it, if you don't know what you're doing. You can change kernel boot parameters in GRUB using e.
Be sure to add an entry to your bootloader that boots into single user.

Don't touch expert settings, noob

Doesn't actually matter what flavor, what you want to look at are the things called Desktop Environment. Cinnamon, the now dead Unity, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Mate, etc.

For casual use such as browsing, email, shopping, listening to music and streaming videos? Which is pretty much what normalfags do.

Spotify requires you to use the terminal to install it on Linux.

spotify.com/us/download/linux/

software man, when you're asked to use X software sometimes there's no workaround

Installer formats by operating system
-----

Windows:
>.exe
>.msi

macOS:
>.dmg

Linux:
>.deb
>.rpm
>.run
>.sh
>.tar.gz
>.autopackage
>.slp
>.snap
>.nix
>.flatpak
>.AppImage
>.ipk

To be fair, shit like monkeying with regedit isn't always that easy either.

>using spotify
Looks to me like the devs are too lazy to stick it in a package manager

Many package managers such as RPMFusion wouldn't even accept it.

The windows registry is the software equivalent of spaghetti cables/bad cable management. Like holy shit all those settings all over the place.

Good hardware support and a decent window compositor.

You should add at least .rar, .zip and .7z to the Windows list.

I develop firmware for various microcontroller architectures. Most of the suppliers only offer up to date toolchains for windows.

Plus, the availability of actually working applications, support forum posts. Ultimately it's a problem with the number of users.

Also in example: we have a linux server at work for general fileserver, version control and various other programs. Coworker installed virtual box on it and it destroyed the ubuntu install to the point where it had to be essentially reinstalled to work properly. I can't remember a time I have installed a fairly straightforward program like that in windows and had it completely nuke the install. It all depends on your usecase though.

If you're developing web applications or server applications it's probably the best solution.

And the reasons given?

Executable compressed files don't count.

>Coworker installed virtual box on it
>Virtual box
>in an enterprise environment

Linux is just one operating system, so why do they need so many difference installer formats?

This is way too true kek
I gave up tidying registry long time ago.

I only keep windows for muh photoshop and office. Gimp is a big fat mess and don't get me started on fucking libreoffice

>a tar ball is an installer

It's a pain for people who can't into Linux.

> ((installer)) formats

the concept of installers is entirely braindamaged.
Why would you download and run a program that then (downloads and) copies the program you actually wanted to the correct place.

Either just copy it yourself or let an operating system component handle installations.

Programming is just a way to talk t a compute, why do they need so many languages?

Uniformity

I have to use Windows at work, why have a different system at home? I want my environment consistent wherever I am.

what does linux do that windows cannot?

>I only keep windows for muh photoshop
shouldn't be too hard to get this on linux

I just want to simply install it and get it running so I can get to working on my stuff, man.

>What legitimate reason is there to use windows, excluding games

Nowadays?

None.

However if you bought your nice fucking PC you might as well want to play some of those videogames.

Of course there are 20 different workarounds and one of them is just to dual boot. But yeah, some people don't even want that.

sorcery

Aww i didn't know they ported it.
So office is the only reason.
How can people work with libreoffice holy shit

Half decent photo raw processing.

Yes stuff like Darktable is "okay, ish" but it really doesn't come close to Lightroom.

That and as asks, is there a killer app for Linux that anyone cares about? Not meta stuff like "but it's open source" but something useful you can't just get on Cygwin?

Also yeah as soon as you need to dual boot for some game or whatever then, really, what's the point? You still have to maintain a Windows installation regardless. Might as well just use the damn thing.

>How can people work with libreoffice holy shit
The last good version of Office was 2007. That can easily be made to run on linux IIRC.
Fuck the Office Software Protection Platform, it's DRM bullshit in another skin.

>That and as asks, is there a killer app for Linux that anyone cares about?
Yes, but it's in-house at Dreamworks. The everyday hobbyist can't acquire it.
On the other hand, does it make you sweat knowing that the stock exchanges mostly run on Linux?

Linux is a great server OS and it's the OS I prefer for my VPSes and my network render server.

As a desktop OS, in my experience, it has a couple of problems keeping me from permanently switching to it as a primary OS. It's just not the OS for anyone working in media production.

I'll probably get a MacBook Pro for my next machine.

Dual boot is only one of the options. Real men GPU passthrough.

I literally posted in in the post, OFFER CHOICE. Stop the boot process and throw a menu where you can DECIDE to ignore and not to mount it, or EDIT the entry. Do not throw HUUR DUUR FUCK OFF USER GOOD LUCK WITH RESCUE CD errors.

Same with kernel boot parameters...

2010 is the good one there was some terrible bugs in excel 2007. I'll check if i can port 2010 to *nix thanks.
But seriously there must be some young lads who had to write some serious papers here, what did you use? I tried open and libreoffice for a serious 150+ pages work with graphs and images and found some serious limitations in formatting.

It's somewhat ironic that the capitalist system runs on a communist OS, but I'm perfectly fine with that as Linux is a brilliant server OS.

There's always overhead though, and again... even if it's in a VM... you're still having to maintain a Windows installation. You're still using Windows. Just with the added complication of running a server/hobbyist OS underneath it.

>
>>every once in a while I end up having to spend hours just to make something work properly
>Same on windows.

This is just not true. Troubleshooting is more time consuming. The solutions are often less convenient. Because *nix problems frequently concern bugs in the downstream releases themselves, nuke and pave works less often than on Windows

Postproduction software usually officially supports only RedHat and Centos, Fedora maybe. Installation on Ubuntu, etc requires some tricks as placing corresponding symlinks, installing some additional packages, it isn't very hard for an experienced Linux user.

>you're still having to maintain a Windows installation
No you don't. You install it, install Steam or GoG, install GPU driver, fire up your games, that's it. You can let the VM go to trash very easily and just as easily reset it because it's a guest OS. Saves having to reinstall Windows over and over again when you fuck up with malware.

What the fuck is tar.gz if not an executable compressed image?

Furthermore, every other format listed is either a script containing install instructions or an executable combination of a script containing install instructions and a compressed image.

Things that I miss when I have to use Windows or a Mac
> cannot move a window by clicking alt and dragging it anywhere
> same for resize with right mouse button
> Magic Sysrq key (Alt+Print+K when system freezes due to userspace program, yes I already had freezes on Windows and Mac)
> knowing what causes problems (transparent log files, well documented system, can run gdb on programs that crash ...)
> can fix problems myself (recompiling software with small fixes that make my life easier)
> a good release-based Linux distribution is stable (when I'm done configuring my system I can use it 5 years without touching anything and it won't break itself, which windows does like all the time on my gf's laptop)
> I do updates when I want to
> package manager
> fast fixes for security vulnerabilities (instead of monthly "patch day")
> X forwarding
> separation of system and user files via partitions ( / + /home )
> noexec mount option for normie /home
> OS support for hardware... in Windows you have to install a shitty third-party driver written by pajeets for every shitty device...

etc

>This is just not true. Troubleshooting is more time consuming.
I've had more problems troubleshooting on windows 10 compared to linux.

> in an enterprise environment
> enterprise

When i think enterprise I think server in a rack somewhere running job specific tasks constantly.

This is a general use case workhorse machine. Matlab installed on it for manual embedded control model generation etc. We were trying to see how difficult it would be to get a windows build server running in virtual box on it.

Not only that, if what you do is just play videogames, you could easily replace Windows shell with big picture.

I wanted to get into this GPU passthrough thing, unfortunately my iGPU is a HD4600. I wanted to find a cheap GPU that would be better than that for linux as host, since I still would want to watch some 1080p youtube and have my gnome without trouble.

> cannot move a window by clicking alt and dragging it anywhere
> same for resize with right mouse button
Alt+drag on windows, a neat little program

>Magic Sysrq key (Alt+Print+K when system freezes due to userspace program, yes I already had freezes on Windows and Mac)
A real linux feature, for the others you have to hard reset if you get a system freeze because shit is totally unresponsive. What kind of freezes?

Don't use virtualbox. Did you try VMware?

Onenote and surface pen support.

>Seriously. What does w1nd0ze do that *nix physically cannot?
Get shipped with pre-built machines.
No one wants to be fucked with installing an entire other OS

The business work runs on the office suite, hence windows is required.

If nearly everyone uses windows what reason does the average Joe/Jane/Muhammed have to switch to something else ?

Chromebooks?

>Excluding games

You mean the sole reason why 80% of stationary computer owners buy $300 GPUS and CPUS that are good for nothing else? I don't know OP, what's the point of using a car if you can use a horse. I mean after all both forms of transportation will get you there.

>serious writing
>WYSIWYG editors

use latex

All my fwiends uses pee cee windoze so I uses pee cee windoze 2b like my fwiends

I've been looking into it lately to write my resume in and differentiate myself a bit from other recent grads

Is it hard to learn?

Most of my research programs in social science are only available on Windows (or are easier to setup in Windows).

>SPS
>STATA
>Microsoft Office suite (Excel, One Note, Power Point)
>Mendeley
>Atlas.ti

New software is always released on Windows first.

On Linux: mostly memory leaks. At some point system starts swapping and is still 100% cpu allocating memory...
On Windows and Mac: Probably also 50% of them memory leaks but who knows.

Though, recently I had a kernel deadlock (I believe) in linux . There was a regression in 4.10 and Magic SysRq didn't help. That was when I decided to switch back to Debian.

What does Lightroom have that the combination of gimp+ufraw doesn't?

Unironically a good question, especially when self-driving horses have been around for millennia.

Desktop Linux will be irrelevant until the day that normies can "into Linux" without touching the command line

It's pretty complex and has a fuckton of different packages.
It's not that hard to get going though.

So for longer-term, "enthusiast" use, would Ubuntu or Mint be better for someone seriously looking into making The Switch?

Mint's interface really appeals to me, I'm liking Cinnamon a lot (just from the screenshots I've seen). However I'm reading Ubuntu has more in the way of usability and shortcuts, and the Unity launcher really tying everything together seamlessly.

I guess I'm just looking for a somewhat familiar Windows-type DE to start with, but that I can rice up to my liking over time. Is Mint good for that?

Yes, Mint Cinnamon is good for that.

Either Mint or try Xubuntu.

thats one of the most disguting desktops i've ever seen

>install windows 10
>the cd key gets randomly deactivated
>getting xampp to properly work is a pain in the ass
>so decide to install ubuntu
>it looks like ass
>can't even properly browse the installed software
>the software center itself doesn't even recognize all software on the computer
Not sure which annoys me more.

Ease of use.
People don't want to lookup commands, they want the option in the GUI or the rightclick options, at the cost of bloat.
They don't want to login as admin to rename a folder.
They want to google for a program and see 2 linux versions at most, click it to install it while choosing the options and choose the directory.

There's way too much stuff going on in there. While it may look flashy, it offers little productive benefit. A grid is superior to a 3D cube since you can see all virtual desktops at once.

Work out of box. Guarantees that every software I need will be running on it I didnt ran into situation yet where a software I would need would be Linux only. Gives developers unified OS without the need to think about several different popular distros and problems it might rise.

I tired using Linux as my everyday OS, realized that I switch to Windows 7 frequently just to get shit done, abandoned Linux completely. It have its uses but not as typical, everyday desktop OS.

Exactly. While it may seem simple to many on Sup Forums who have been using Linux as a power user for years since they were young with all the time in the world, this stuff takes a while of getting used to, and average Janes and Joes don't have the time to get into learning all about bash, root, chmod and all that jazz.

>Work out of box.
Until you update "your" Botnet OS.

>Guarantees that every software I need will be running on it I didnt ran into situation yet where a software I would need would be Linux only.
That bc you're a literal cuck.

>Gives developers unified OS without the need to think about several different popular distros and problems it might rise.
Like different libraries as .NET, Visual C++ Static and Dynamic Libraries?

>I tired using Linux as my everyday OS, realized that I switch to Windows 7 frequently just to get shit done, abandoned Linux completely. It have its uses but not as typical, everyday desktop OS.
That's ok, honey. Here's a bag of dicks for you...

Windows is just one operating system, why do they need so many different ways they can exploit it?

Agreed

Because if you're gonna mess with commands and dual boots for several usages (yes gayming is important) you might as well put those skills into unfucking Windows and just use that.

Holy shit default win10 looks awful, I'm glad mine isn't like that at all.

Run Enterprise software

Nice bag of shit instead of arguments, honey.

>They don't want to login as admin to rename a folder.
wat

>Gives developers unified OS without the need to think about several different popular distros and problems it might rise.
You know how I know you've never programmed for Windows and are talking out your ass right now?

Use ZorinOS

nice anecdote