/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQrQjlSuhkVH-DcXk80sTD0Jf65nViG6EZvUHPYuzlPHaWkA/viewform?usp=sf_link
ebay.com/itm/Sierra-Wireless-AirPrime-MC7750-Pcie-Card-4G-LTE-LENOVO-Compatible-/222339856989?hash=item33c47cfa5d
ifixit.com/Guide/iBook G4 12-Inch 1.33 GHz Hard Drive Replacement/703
ebay.com.au/itm/232395595001
amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2YE3PO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2BROEZP5ZTHI4&psc=1
amazon.com/gp/product/B00OPBON1W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2W496OX3MNYUI&psc=1
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-15-6-laptop-amd-a12-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-platinum-gray/5828300.p?skuId=5828300&extStoreId=&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=a0851aa2-8bb8-4449-b8c9-dfdc651fe031&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg198991&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

Redpill me on Coreboot.

i mean did you look in the power options?

check bios options, there's one that throttles your speed when you reach a certain temperatur ethreshold.

make power options look like this

and maximum processor state 100%

I set it to high performance but it doesn't make any difference, it makes no sense that it would throttle when running off the charger but not the battery

What's the screensize of a lenovo thinkpad t420s? There's a screen size detector I use but it's giving me a boogus "19 inch" number.

make these your bios settings

It looks like that as well, I haven't changed any settings, it just started throttling when I unplugged the charger and plugged it in again after leaving it plugged in for weeks when docked at my desk

check battery saver settings, boot a linux liveusb and see if it does the same thing under linux

or go in reverse and turn everything to max power savings mode and see what happens, then go back to max performance

...I just solved it actually, I found a forum post that said to unplug it, turn it off and not just reboot, boot back up and plug it in again and it works. I feel like a retard for not trying to turn it off and not just reboot, but hey, it works

always shut down my thinkpad because ssd, never use sleep/hibernate

Good enough for me. Needs an SSD and a new battery but don't think you can do much better for £26

fuck man I wanna get one really soon
still paying off bills and rent this week
maybe next week when I actually have the cash the throw at it

hows the battery life? 3 cell or 6 cell? hows general web browsing? the passmark score is scaring me off a bit

But why

What laptop?

because ssd

ewwwwww... an HP.... GROSS! watch out for the melt down.

Is there any way to monitore and controle energy consumption on a X220? I don't know about you guys but I can't properly work with it when it lays on my lap since it heats too much too quickly.

either he uses windows, on which some ssds can hang in sleep mode or he thinks ssds boot so fast that it doesn't matter.

I'd rather put it to sleep and have it start up by the time I get the screen fully open than wait 10 seconds.

Some advice for anyone swapping a quadcore on a T- series thinkpad would be setting the maximum processor frequency to 95%. It lowered the temps from 85c to 56c.

Look for freedom respecting hardware options. Don't want to install non-free drivers for my SSD and Network card. Any suggestions?

i wonder what's happening

heres a (you) which stands for
Y- you
o- thought
u- hp's business line up suffers from the same shit their consumer line up did from but youre wrong

2510p

My 8460p has taken an absolute hell of a beating since I got it. Travelled all over, and powered on and docked 90% of the time, 24/7. Only in the last month was it relegated to a backup Linux machine for work.

Has anyone with a T420/30 or T520/30 that has dedicated nvidia graphics tried overclocking their display?

Some have gotten high hz out of other makers laptops, like 144+

I have a x230t, and I've been liking it, but I just found out that under Windows I cannot use the keyboard and click the trackpoint buttons at the same time. I understand that it's a useful feature for people with xbox hueg hands, but it means I'll need a mouse if I want to play any games. There's no way to disable this behavior, either.

are you sure about that

Gonna stream in about an hour aka 6:30PM.

Subject will be
Broadwell Business Standard Comparison
Lenovo T450 vs Dell E5450 vs HP 840 G2 vs MBP 13 Late 2015

Detailed used price comparison & upgrading.

Also vote for next week's comparison
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQrQjlSuhkVH-DcXk80sTD0Jf65nViG6EZvUHPYuzlPHaWkA/viewform?usp=sf_link

It is currently a tie with
>Haswell Business Standard - E6440,
T440p, 840 G1, Late 2013 MBP 13
>or Ivy Bridge Bricks - W530, 8770w,
M6700, Mid 2012 MBP 15

Gotta pick one... so if its a tie I'm gonna pick a different one. :P

Best O/S you could slap in a t410 that has a SSD?

Undervolt. Undervolt. And undervolt.

You're right, I found it. Right after I spent an hour troubleshooting and finally gave up and posted on Sup Forums.

is this a good price for a WWAN card? Would be going into an X230.

ebay.com/itm/Sierra-Wireless-AirPrime-MC7750-Pcie-Card-4G-LTE-LENOVO-Compatible-/222339856989?hash=item33c47cfa5d

Do a tablet laptop convertible episode pls.
I need one to take notes...

windows 7 probably
where did you find it?
yes that is a good price
the tablets suck, would not recommend

Ok. It'll be on the list.

On W10, it's "touchpad sensitivity" under touchpad in device settings. I initially ignored it because I assumed the trackpoint was a separate mouse from the touchpad itself.

>brb counter-strike 1.6

Debian GNU/Linux 9.0.0 KDE edition

i only got it 2 days ago. its pretty solid, and will even do 720p youtube (in chromium at least) so in general web browsing (Sup Forums, reddit, forums, its excellent). it was a little slow when i tried mint cinnamon but on xfce it runs great.

as i said, it needs a new battery. the current one only lasts around an hour and a half. you can get a 9 cell for 9 hours or a 6 cell for 6 hours.

how to libreboot without blowing up x200?

Is it worth it to try and sell an X230 without an SSD? I bought mine refurbed and upgraded to 8GB RAM and put a 500GB SSD in it but I want to keep the SSD for future desktop builds. It was borderline unusable when I got it, even with a 7200RPM HDD in it, so should I just try and find a used 120GB SSD to put in it or something?

I doubt I'll be able to sell it for more than I bought it for even with upgraded RAM and a SSD since I bought it from a company, but I just want to get rid of it and put that money towards something like a T430 or 440.

There's a cool guy on ebay who will do it for $40 and put in fresh arctic silver and a new atheros wifi chip

I think it would be best to put the original HDD and RAM in it.

as a web developer, is there any reason I'd ever need a cpu more powerful than a 7600u? why do people shit on ultrabook processors?

Because some people need more processing power?

yeah, it's not one size fits all, but it's more than powerful enough for most web development

well, for you.

the older low-voltage cpu's were really bad but they are finally catching back up in performance

Hey, my fellow connoisseurs of deprecated tech, what's your opinion - is 50 EUR fair for an X300 with 4GB RAM, dead battery (not known if completely dead or perhaps holds like 5 minutes), cracked screen bezel, missing mesh on one speaker (but otherwise in visually decent shape)?
Stock 64GB SSD and PSU are present too.

Put the original HDD and RAM, no need to upsell when people probably won't pay much for it. :(

The market fluctuates badly, 3 months and prices drop $50

Because when you are buying a state of the art ultrabook, it is such a remorse to see it take so long to load a program when it has 16Gb and an SSD

50EUR is like 80 American...
Tough to say, it will be costly to fix all that is bad.
64GB SSD isn't much, you can probably upgrade to mSATA and maybe resell that 1.8" SSD at a good price for someone in need.

Wow, I didn't even expect the omniscient you to reply, what a pleasure. I can't care less about the mesh and the bezel, the SSD capacity is fine to me, however I'm aware about the mSATA possibility, speaking of which though - are there some more reliable mSATA to 1.8" adapters or whichever chink ones are good enough?
The only extra thing I might be spending on is a chink battery from a local shop for 40 EUR.
So essentially my question is nothing but this - is it a fair price for an X300 in the given shape?
Looks like even if buying the battery I still end up with an X300 with a new battery rather cheaper than buying one with used battery of unknown capacity on ebay.

fix stream audio pls.

btw you got your exchange rate wrong, 50 EUR is 57.66 USD

Help, I broke a key, can I glue it?

Well, I fell in for this meme of a general, bought a tablet and I have to say... My x220t is the best laptop I've ever used. The screen is amazing, I love the size, it's very confortable to type in and carry around, the wacom digitizer is amazing and it even works on linux.

Best buy I've ever made, even if it was "pricy".

Download throttlestop, uncheck BD PROCHOT, apply

ur welcome, its because you are charger is broken.

Bumping for interest. All I found was Thinkpenguin's Netowrk Card, looking for other options.

Working on a Sup Forums version of this /o/ sticker to make for anons to use, but I'm stumped on the bottom left text, as well as the MFD and some other stuff. Suggestions are more than welcome.

freesoftware is a meme, and free hardware is even worse.

Bbaydick Wintard.

Make sure to note that the computer doesn't conform to RoHS.

hey guys,
do you know of a good place to buy used thinkpads in good condition? (I don't live in the US)
used thinkpads in my country are waaaay overpriced
any recommendations?

>ssds can hang in sleep mode
Wait is this why my t430 blue screens when waking from sleep sometimes?

>for most web development
People use computers for other things.
>photo/video editing
>music stuff
>3d modeling
>gaymes
>office programs

ebay or wherever you people buy used things in ur cumtry

Trying out different fonts and tried out the RoHS gag, thoughts?

Also toaster

>added MFD and Device type

Bottom one 100%

Also because there is no retro thread up, i want to share my PAIN. Fuck apple consumer shit.
ifixit.com/Guide/iBook G4 12-Inch 1.33 GHz Hard Drive Replacement/703

Nice, saved.

>mfw it can't just be WAT GAMING

what's the font used for the small text?

pls don't save the unfinished version, I'm still getting it to be top notch

MS UI Gothic 標準

Alright, messed with some stuff and I think we're nearing something complete. Thoughts?
>Yes, I know I added an over 9000 joke
I accept any better recommendations for it.

Manufacture date is now the release date of Win 98

Does anybody know if Qubes Os, runs well on the Lenovo T570 (NVIDIA GeForce 940MX)?

So, today I realized my refurbished T420 has a bit of a... frankenstein battery. It's a 9 cell battery (confirmed by opening it, plus ghetto booty) with a 42T4754 sticker (25+), the barcode for a X60 / X61 battery (92P1170) and what seems to be a different barcode for a SL410 battery.
However, the battery firmware for it claims it's a Sanyo 42T4791.
With a Panasonic logo on it.
I mean, jesus, I knew this shit was refurbished when I purchased it but goddamnit.
I used to get 71,3Wh when i just bought, now I'm somewhere around 90% charge but can still get 4hours of use out of it. Apparently that's the correct amount for a 70++ battery.

What the fuck, Sup Forums.

what the fuck is that qr code supposed to be, can't get it to read on any of my phones

Should redirect to Sup Forums

out of all the /tpg/ recommended laptops, except x220 and x230, which of them can have their display switched out for an IPS display? which HPs EliteBooks and Dells Latitude and Inspiron?

Wouldprintandstickonlaptop/10

i don't have a computer old enough for this. unless i was to put this on an amiga 500 anyway, which might be fun

ebay.com.au/itm/232395595001

Is this a good deal /tpg/?

Thinking of upgrading from x220, want a 14 inch, however t450 seems too expensive,
should i get t440 and the touchpad mod?
(i am in europe)

So I enrolled for electronic engineering and I realized I need a laptop for it. Budget is around 400 euros and I do live in Finland so I probably will have to go for used laptop that is transportable.

What kinda beast do I have to get that I can run matlabs and other programs regarding embedded/network design?

user I will buy these off you the moment you start selling them
(saved just in case disappear from the face of the earth)
Good work my man

I'm buying a T60 if user sells these

Where can i buy a genuine 9 cell for my t430 in australia?

I have this laptop and I want to get the screen linked. The screen I have in it now is not a 1080p res. screen, does this matter?

amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2YE3PO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2BROEZP5ZTHI4&psc=1

Ignore the retard i am, i'm just getting this instead.. amazon.com/gp/product/B00OPBON1W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2W496OX3MNYUI&psc=1

Alrighty, finalized version is here. I'm thinking of printing these at 3" length and having some neat effects that are either foil or hologram like how actual certification stickers are.

How good are the IBM t42's? Is it better than an Precision for light programming?

Just got a Lenovo Ideapad 320

bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-15-6-laptop-amd-a12-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-platinum-gray/5828300.p?skuId=5828300&extStoreId=&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=a0851aa2-8bb8-4449-b8c9-dfdc651fe031&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg198991&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

Went from having a pretty ridiculously fast desktop rig, and gaming laptop but i don't give a shit about gaming anymore. So I sold both and went with this. Did I do good ? or should I return and opt for something different. $400 was my budget, and I feel pretty satisfied with what I have now but I know there is better used options for thinkpads but getting someone elses problem i don't want right now. If I decide to keep this i'll be upgrading the display to IPS, Ram, and SSD.

no you did bad

that's cheap because it's shit
thinkpads are cheap because they are secondhand and the average consumer is wary of buying "used" products (you)

Originally i was going to pick up a thinkpad E550 yesterday but the craigslist guy didn't want to drive 9 miles to meet up so i said fuck it, and i needed something immediately.

The specs for $250 was actlly pretty damn good i thought:

Intel Core i7-5500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz)
AMD Radeon R7 M260 graphics, 1920x1080 display
500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive, 8GB x 1 DDR3L SDRAM

user, you're doing god's work.
If you do start selling them, make a thread.

pretty swell user, how/when do you plan on selling these?

just picked up a t400 with 2 gigs of ram and a 2.26 ghz core 2 duo (no hard drive) for $30
how badly did I fuck up

I use WIndows 7 on my X201.