Atari comeback?

eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-19-atari-back-in-the-hardware-business-with-mysterious-new-ataribox
>Atari is returning to console manufacture with a new contraption called Ataribox.

A teaser trailer for the Ataribox was released last week. It shows zoomed-in shots of what looks like wood panelling and a grooved plastic or metallic surface. In other words, like the Atari Video Computer System from the '70s and '80s.
youtu.be/5WNsmCpdhhY
>"We're back in the hardware business," Atari CEO Fred Chesnais told Gamesbeat.

Chesnais, the one and only, wouldn't say what what the Ataribox was but did say it was based on PC technology.

Perhaps the Ataribox will follow in the footsteps of the enormously popular Nintendo Classic Mini NES - a miniature, £50, emulated trip down memory lane.

Maybe if we are lucky enough Atari will take another jab at destroying the gaming industry so normies can leave and it can get the revival it deserves

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=atari 2600
youtube.com/watch?v=Gfzt103J8u0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it'll run steam os variant and be shit

Let me guess, it allows me to play all the old easily-emulated atari games for a lean price of $149.99 (not including games).
Can someone kill hipsters already

Inb4 its just an Android set top box with an ARM SoC or a repackaged Skull Canyon box.

>Can someone kill hipsters already
why? just come up with some idiotic nostalgia piece of shit idea and milk the fuckers.

Unless it comes with some kickass exclusive games it'll die.

nostalgiapandering

>Android set top box
If the Ataribox is the Ouya 2.0 I'm going to kill myself

>steam os
Your probably right.
I find it ridiculous that people keep on trying to release new consoles. Playstation, xbox and nintendo practically own the market. I've someone doesn't come up with something more revolutionary they'll just die like the rest. Probably the only good them about them is pump and dump like ethereum and pokemon go. Can make some mega bank on the hype up and the sell everything within a month or two

IIRC they had contact info for devs that were interested, so not just le retro meme
I think it will 100% have the old games available, but I don't think that's all it will have
They've shown no partnership or contact with Valve, so I highly doubt its SteamOS, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had their own Linux or BSD based OS on it

JESUS CHRIST Sup Forums GET OFF THIS BOARD THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TECHNOLOGY TAKE YOUR SHITTY GAYMING MACHINES BACK.

woooooooooooooooooooow

>being a mad kiddo because you can't afford an ataribox

>gaming isn't technology cause i don't like it.

it is by technology's very definition technology, it may not be for an application you agree with or even think important. but stop being a whiny bitch cause you disagree with something on the internet.

HOLY SHIT user

>Ouya 2.0

jive turkeys...

The concept rendering looks good in terms of aesthetics. A sort of retro modern look. Sleek but classic.

I just don't see where this fits in the market. It might be that they're not expecting much themselves

Can it play Nintendo?

I think I would have preferred if they based the design on their ST computers instead.

>arm soc box
No, thanks.

why is it made out of wood. i know its retro but wtf

lmgtfy.com/?q=atari 2600

anyone want to buy my Jaguar and cybermorph cart NIB
never used
$200 b/o

You should leave this board. Now.

If it's a computer I'm ok with it..
But if it's just a console, burn the fuck down that shit

LGR is gonna have a field day with this one.

>Implying it has nothing to do with technology.

SCREENCAP THIS

It's going to be Mario maker for old Atari games.
>Create games
>share with friends
>compete with online high scores!

this stuff looks dangerously like Atari 2600

That's the point

>Probably the only good them about them is pump and dump like ethereum and pokemon go. Can make some mega bank on the hype up and the sell everything within a month or two
oh shit he knows

Repackaging is not technology.

SHUT IT DOWN

Like, put a keyboard in there? That could make the console remotely useful!

Now that I think about it, it looks like one of those fake new consoles (like the Xbox 720 and PlayStation 9).

This is it?
youtube.com/watch?v=Gfzt103J8u0

this desu senpai

The only required "revolutionary" aspect to automatically win 100% of the market forever is:
- Free online
- Put the game in and just start playing
Y'know, like consoles ought to do to not be crippled overpriced PCs.

no u

I had a 2600. Fun games if a bit small.

>discussing new hardware
Completely Sup Forums related