/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/tssbgL
ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Z420-Customisable-Eight-or-Quad-Core-Xeon-Up-to-32GB-RAM-Workstation-Win-10-/142303353588
youtube.com/watch?v=47a_iyZ9nmI
pcpartpicker.com/list/PPc6zM
pcpartpicker.com/list/HFpjxY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

thanks for the help Sup Forums, build is done, now waiting for the case to arrive.

New to all this. Is there a Sup Forums approved decent pc build for gaming for around £600-700? Wanna play ffxii decently. In UK

Isn't 85° a bit too high? I would go safe and set it at 75° imho.

isn't ffxii old? you can get a cheap ass i3 6100, a mobo that has an HDMI exit, and the integrated GPU of the i3 6100 would be more than enough.
use this: pcpartpicker.com/
if you want to play modern games please buy a ryzen 5 1600 at the very least. it will hold on well into the future.

haven't touched anything yet besides setting the xmp profile to 3200MHz (previously running 2133MHz). Thanks for the tip, anything else I should know? still pretty noob about the whole thing.

Whoops I meant ffxiv but it autocrrected as I've been playing the zodiac age recently too

Thanks for the help I'm a complete n00b

aha, that one might require a dedicated GPU. look up for a cheap GPU that has a 2GB memory.

I'm also building a pc for FFXIV. Only the GPU is missing and it will arrive this week, I already got all the other parts.
I'll report how it does.

I've collected some benchmarks from different sites by the way, it could be a starting point in deciding what to choose, though in the end I ordered a 1050 Ti because everything else was overpriced due to the mining fad.

The ideal choice for me was be GTX 1060 6GB, sadly too expensive right now.

Last one. I really hope that GTX 1050 Ti lives up to my expectations.

stop posting outdated card benches, fucking hell

Last 2 benchmakrs are outdated too?

isn't that pretty old

yeah I was kinda desperate and considered even those older cards, but not surprisingly the good ones are also overpriced right now.

Please do!

Thanks user will do

Currently on massive budget, tired of delaying the upgrade since better times won't come for ages now.
So, right now I have:
-shitty dirt cheap H61 motherboard straight outta 2011
-12 gb ram,
Core i3 2100 (upgrading to Xeon E3 1270)
Radeon HD 7770 (uprading to RX 570/1060/whatever comes next)
-
will this suffice for 1080p gaming for a few years at least? I don't mind lowering quality a bit, but not to eye cancer level.

Ordered all my parts.

R5 1600
Asrock B350M Pro 4
8Gb 3000mhz DDR4
250Gb SSD
500w PSU
Core V21 case

Am I missing anything?

Mind giving a list of what you ordered user?

If you don't have a spare hard drive, 250GB is pretty small

Meant for

I'm planning to get a SSHD to go along with it soon. Also got a GTX 1050TI to go with it.

from op:
>Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
SSHD are a meme and prone to getting slow in a year. if you want cheap space so much then just go for a real hard disk

Well, he already has an SSD so he already has fast storage, but what he's lacking now is a very big storage which an HDD can provide very easily
Games take up a lot of space now, 250GB for AAA gaming is abysmal

It's not so much that I'm short on cash, more than I'm waiting to get paid first. If SSHDs are actually trash then I'll just get a regular HDD. From what I've seen for the prices of SSHDs they're only £20~ more expensive than a regular HDD so I thought "Why not?"

I need help. I installed a new video card, and when i boot it either turns on and black screens, or goes to a "press esc to open startup menu". I press Esc and i hear a soft beeping from my motherboard but nothing happens, and at regular intervals i get a louder short beep.

Some hardware info. I bought my whole new system except for ram. The old ram is ddr3 and its not supported by my new motherboard. So what i did was in the meantime install my old system in the new case, but put in the new video card. So hardware wise the video card is the only difference.

The motherboard is a shitty old foxconn from an HP prebuilt. My old gpu is a amd radeon hd6970, the new is a gtx 1080ti.
The "press esc for startup" thing is part of some shitty HP crap coded in the motherboard bios i think. The keyboard is cleary detected because of the short beeps, but unresponsive. The only thing i can imagine trying is plugging in my monitor to my motherboard video output and turning on integrated intel graphics. The problem is i currently don't have the vga or dvi cable for it. I only have an HDMI one and my motherboard doesn't.
I've tried installing the nvidia drivers but they won't install without the gpu plugged in.

Is there anything i can do? Other than waiting for my ram for my new mobo or trying with a cable that my mobo supports?

Some time ago I found a preassembled from a local store where I live, it cost 350€ and it has:
Intel Core i5 4460 3.2 GHz
Kingston 2x 4GB DDR3 800 MHz RAM
Asus H81M-A 1150 Motherboard
Kingston 120GB SSD
Seagate 2GB HDD
760W PSU
GeForce GT 630 2GB
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit

What I ordered is:
Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti 4GB - 165€
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD - 140€

I want to install FFXIV in the new SSD because I think the HDD won't be good enough, at least not this Seagate 2TB.
The 120GB SSD is pretty much full already, can't use it for any new games.

>ordered VS PSU
>later find out its shit
fuck

yes, a gpu

Pretend it was stolen from your door when it was delivered if you don't need to sign it.
ez refund just tell them it says it's delivered but you haven't received it.

The thing is I already got it

I wonder who could be behind this post...

r8 my first time build.
I'm going for a black and white theme since pic related is my case. I may need to upgrade the MoBo to a B250M Mortar Arctic since the Asrock only has 2 chassis fan connecters while the case has 3. Also, is buying a 1x8gb kit right now and upgrading with the exact same model really that bad?

Unfortunately, Ryzen 3 is a few weeks away so I really have no choice but to wait until I pull the trigger on this one. Might go with that though but I just want to ask your opinion on this one.

pcpartpicker.com/list/tssbgL
here it is (no case here because the case is not from a big brand)

Country? Flip?

I'm thinking about buying a used Xeon workstation because I'm broke, but can I cool an old LGA2011 Xeon E5 1620/1650 with a regular Hyper 212 Evo or something like that?

And would it be better to buy something like this ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Z420-Customisable-Eight-or-Quad-Core-Xeon-Up-to-32GB-RAM-Workstation-Win-10-/142303353588 and just put a GPU in it or buy the motherboard, CPU and RAM used and buy the case and PSU new? I already have a 500GB SSD I'm going to use.

The first option would be less hassle and probably cheaper if I just use the included generic PSU and motherboard but then I won't have much in the way of upgradability, but I don't know if I want to go for the second route either because I'm going to upgrade to a mATX Ryzen build when I stop being broke, so I won't have any use for the ATX case, motherboard and RAM when I upgrade.

Would it be the best to just go for the prebuilt route and then stick a HDD in it, keep the SSD and sell it when I upgrade to Ryzen?

>currently on massive budget
I don't think this means what you think it means

>Etherium slowly rising again
NOO

Buy the dip!

Can a delidded i7 7740x clock higher than a delidded i7 7700k?
Assuming an adequate motherboard and nh-d15/240mm aio tier cooling with good paste?

If I buy a K series CPU, can I buy an heatsink for now and buy a liquid cooler later when I plan to OC it?

That is the only justifiable reason to buy one. The 1050 is a good value, 560 a little less so unless you want freesync in which case great buy. If the market was all at msrp the 570/470 can usually be had for only slightly more money(assuming US) and it's way more powerful. Either way it's just a $150 GPU, not a big deal. Can just toss it on ebay or in your closet and grab like a 60 series GPU from nvidia's next gen.

I would advise against it. Some of the budget air coolers are totally fine for a moderate OC. Either go all out now on high end cooling for settle for optimal value. Look up review but the cryorig h7 can maintain the same 4.7ghz on a 6600k as I use my $100 AIO for. I could push the chip to 5ghz but the point is that for a fraction of the money you could have all you need really.
The only real reason to push a cpu as hard as you can in a gaming use case is for high refresh gaming. It directly translates to more fps in my games of choice.
Gammax 400, Cryorig h7, etc all do just fine. Again just check reviews.

What CPU are you planning to buy?

I don't intend to OC the CPU while I have the heatsink.
I will do that when I can get a liquid cooler.
i5 7600K

Sup Forums is making fun of Ryzen again!

I understand but I'm telling you that you can just buy a $40 air cooler and use a moderate OC no problem. Doesn't make sense to buy something now when $10-20 more will get you a good OC just to spend $100 later.

Can someone give me the rundown on Windows OS licenses?

I am building a PC for someone. Their current PC is running Windows 10 that got the free upgrade from Windows 7. Can I use that license or do they have to buy Windows 10?

I am planning on getting DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 and found that it can get 60C max on 4.3GHz i5 6600K, is that good?

No you can't use that, you have to buy a new one.
You can still use the Windows 10 without having a licence

That's going to vary by the chip and also the 7600k can go past 60c safely no problem. Check out the Cryorig H7. I saw a review of the new LED version(same cooling as the cheap non-led one) running a 6600k at 4.7ghz no problem.

What did you mean by that second sentence?

When you buy W10 you get a code which you insert upon installation of it.
You can still install it and insert the code later when you can.

>i5 7600K
That's a pretty bad choice of a CPU.

Sadly my budget is pretty tight right now and I would have to downgrade something in order to get it.

I need single core performance for my tasks so AMD wouldn't work.

How long can I go without entering the code....?

Is that so? What exactly do you do?
Some photoshop stuff or other mostly singlethreaded software?
Why not get the much better 7700k if so? If your shit is actually so much singlethreaded heavy that a Ryzen would be less than ideal, then a 7700k might be very well worth it

Any specific reason you're going with the i5 over an r5? It doesn't make any sense to unless you're trying to do 144hz as cheaply as possible.
The r5 is way better for 60hz gaming and is also better at just about everything that isn't vidya. The r5 1600 comes with a stock cooler that will let you run it at like 3.6 or 3.7ghz which is plenty. Then in the future you could put nice cooling on it.
I don't think the i5 is a good choice for you on such a tight budget unless you are very specifically building a machine for high refresh rates.

There is no limitation.

Literally forever you just lose the wallpaper and personalization options. You can also just install Windows 7, crack it, and then use the assistive technology upgrade and it will become legit windows 10.
The other two options are buying a key from like reddit or kinguin/g2a or just straight up cracking it with Microsoft Toolkit.

Still a bad time to get a 4 core. If you must buy now, try to get an i7. Wait until Intel releases its next gen line up...

isn't 7740x practically the same thing on a different socket?
Why even bother when HEDT motherboards are more expensive than your typical Z270 ones?

Interesting!

To keep it short, I am playing a badly optimised MMORPG which flavours Single Core performance and i5 7600K has been proven to be excellent, for example any AMD CPU would perform around 50% worse than the i5 and the i7 7700K does not have that much difference from i5 7600K in terms of performance for that game, plus the price isn't that pretty for me either.

Only care about it clocking as high as possible. 1-200 more on the motherboard is no problem if it gives an extra 200mhz on the OC. I also have no problem returning a few chips until I get a decent one. It's a pretty specific use case.
The reason I ask is some fag on youtube did a half assed review on it and said after delidding he got it stable at 5.3ghz with out much work which makes me think that it can clock slightly higher than the 7700k. I think the chips are physically bigger which may help thermals ever so slightly and that the x299 boards are better at pushing the clock higher.
I don't give a single fuck about not being able to use the extra features of the motherboard. If the 7740k can't clock higher I'll get the 7700k, if it can I'll get it and the cheapest mobo that will work. Only plugging in one GPU and SATA storage.
In like 5 years I'll probably sell the 7740k and pick up a higher core count skylake-x used from ebay but I am completely indifferent about that. Only care about which chip can clock higher.

Ok so i activated integrated graphics in bios. I plugged in the new video card. My monitor is plugged in to the gpu. The screen was black. I entered my password blind and logged in. Suddenly the screen turns on and it looks normal.
I have a tray icon saying that intel graphics is enabled. I tried installing nvidia drivers. I restart and turn off integrated graphics.
I get a screen telling me to press esc to enter startup menu. The keyboard doesn't register. I restart and the screen is totally black.
I don't know what the fuck is going. How the fuck do i get my new gpu to work?

>isn't 7740x practically the same thing on a different socket?
That's essentially it, except the process has been enhanced a tiny bit more making it reach a little bit higher clocks... and as a result it thermal throttles
youtube.com/watch?v=47a_iyZ9nmI

But nah, they don't clock much higher even if delidded. 200MHz at the very best.

Please be removing dis

fuck off shitposters

So since the GPUs are out of stock and I will have to wait for them to restock it and send it, what gayms can I use the integrated graphics on?
From what I know OW can reach 50 fps with some settings fiddling.
Anything else?

Alright 200mhz is enough to justify it for me. Thank you. Now to find the best value motherboard.
It's going in a custom loop with a 1080ti and two extra thick 360mm radiators with good fans(haven't decided which yet, maybe noctua industrials or a gentletyphoon clone). Hopefully no thermal issues.

well, if you want to do so. There's one thing though, x299 mobos might either support kaby-x (dual channel memory only, less lanes) or support SKL-X (quadch memory, more pcie lanes and some other fireworks), so that's one thing you need to look out for.
Asus already released some top-of-the-line mb while claiming that it won't support KBL-X anyway.

I swear, intel's stuff this year is such a shitshow.

dun cry bby

Should I wait for Black Friday to make a GTX 1060 build???

Oh really? Thanks man I didn't know about that all. I'm about to start looking for the board.
I know I'm a huge fag and should buy a r7 but the build is specifically for a high hz monitor. Going with ridiculous high clocked ram too because im a moron.

>Alright 200mhz is enough to justify it for me.
That's at the very best. Gamernexus only reached 100MHz more (5.0 GHz vs 5.1) with his 7740x, and both were delidded
Why do you value MHz that much? I know the MMO you play is horribly optimized but christ, you're gonna pay a fuckton more with that x299 i5

MMORPG players are some of the dumbest fuckers on Earth

I never said you'd be better off with R7 anyway. If you settled on getting X299 HEDT build then just go straight for the 7800X or 7820X with all their cons, but you'll be delidding anyway. 7800x looks like a great deal to me (I mean, just after ryzen)

Will amazon refund me if I say my all my packages were stolen?

Did you sign upon delivery?

I have the same question, they delivered my DDR4 ram without any interaction, what if I say it never arrived?

Maybe but they will eventually ban you as a buyer if you pull this shit repeatedly

yah. funny how flips are common here.

who said anything about MMORPG

Kek. Thought the case was familiar. My friend was planning on getting it from DFE.

I'm not that guy. That's someone else talking about an i5. I have a 240hz 1080p monitor and a 165hz 1440p monitor that I use interchangeably depending on the game and I want the machine to have the highest possible FPS right now today without any concern for what future optimizations might bring as I rarely play new games. Even though I'm paying a shit load for that little bit more performance I can (thank god) afford it. The couple hundred just isn't a huge deal as I live alone, have a good job, and if I'm not at work I'm on the PC.
This is a quick and dirty list nothing is 100% yet pcpartpicker.com/list/PPc6zM

I know you didn't I was just acknowledging that I'm aware the r7's are a much better value.

No fancy liquid cooling, gaymer GPU or Ryzen here. Just looking for a basic shitposting machine that will be cool, quiet and not break the bank.
pcpartpicker.com/list/HFpjxY
>Compatibility Check: No issues/incompatibilities found.
pcpp is GOAT for first time builders

No meme case/10

Which is better - arctic mx4 or the one that comes with noctua coolers?

About the same

Just get a couple cheap HDDs and throw them in a RAID 0 array.

Consider an NVME SSD.
You are going all out as it is, no reason to go budget on your fast storage.

>7800x looks like a great deal to me
No, it's not. There is no point in 7800x being hedt - you have to buy expensive mothetboard, but pcie lanes count barely better than 1151 or ryzen, quad memory means jackshit for 6/12, it's worse in gaems than broadwell-e. If you want intel, you should go with at least 7820 or wait for 6/12 coffee lake.

>
That Intel stock cooler made my sides go into space

Thinking I may just do AIO cooling. It's so much easier and cheaper. Takes 5 seconds to set up.
I mean, I like them, but isn't there absolutely no noticeable difference for boot times, game launch times, etc? If there is I'll definitely just grab a 960 evo but I keep reading that there is not.

There's not. Regular SSDs are fast enough to move the bottleneck for small loads to the CPU instead of storage. Windows can't even complete a full circle spin while booting with my SSD. There's just no improvement possible because the ~gigabyte of data to be read loads in roughly a second on a SATA connection. You'll only see a difference when massive amounts of data need to be read/written at once, like in video and photo editing. It's like driving a Ferrari or an Acura a few blocks to work. Yeah the Ferrari is a lot faster, but it won't make a difference.