/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Archie Fans:
youtube.com/watch?v=cvcPkBxvudc

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6IHaE-TXbZQ
youtu.be/AAXnxdppIPc
chronometrie.com/rolex3135/rolex3135.html
timezone.com/2002/09/16/the-rolex-explorer-ref-14270-part-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

anyone have experience with replica watches from e.g. intime01?

>inb4 poorfag

Dont buy replica watches

*Woops sorry meant to post "counterfeit"

You're better off getting a Chinese watch like a Sea-Gull, Shanghai, etc.

why not? nothing wrong with it

"counterfeit" "replica" "fake" whatever you want

why is that? a good replica is a good watch but it just happens to look like a expensive other one

Why buy a fake whenyou can have something genuine for the same money?

A friend of mine came into some money and has been spending some of it on watches. What's a good way to trigger him?

Generally a minimum of effort is made on fakes. Actual brand name Chinese watches can be pretty great for the money, though. If you want a fake that doesn't suck, you have to pay for the privilege, which rather defeats the point in my opinion.

Knockoffs, Sturhling watches, etc

Watch watches has he been buying?

Anyone have experience with the nato/zulu straps from countycom? Are they well made or overpriced garbage for people that fall for the surplus meme?

>Knockoffs
Tips on finding these without buying obvious shit?
>Sturhling watches
What's the deal with these? I'm reading up on them now, but figured I'd ask for the /wt/ opinion.

Not entirely sure as I found out about this from a mutual friend (haven't seen the guy in person for a while), but apparently he got a good deal on some sort of watch (not a dive style watch, don't have much of a description) for $1,700 and talks shit on Omegas.

>>Knockoffs
>Tips on finding these without buying obvious shit?
Answer is always Bagel.

why not? seriously, $300 isnt too much to put on a good fake, or a watch otherwise, at all
i kinda just want a rolex/omega/VC replica for the fun of it

i have no need for a chink-brand watch i own a couple of tissot and a old omega

If you just want a replica for fun, then get a $50 bagelsport

Let me get this straight, you want a shitty chink fake as opposed to a decent known chink brand? You already own decent watches, and you want to flesh out the pure trash portion of your collection?

>you want a shitty chink fake
no i want a good chink fake, im prepared to pay around $300 for a well made fake

>I'm prepared to pay around $300 for pure chink shit
FTFY, can't fix stupid though.

>pure chink shit
you absolute retard, fuck
thats literally why i asked if anyone had experience with more expensive fakes such as those from intime01
i guess not then, i guess everyone here is just larping with muh chinkshit faggot metal armband and pretending they actually know shit

But seriously, why? People buy fakes to fool others. And you sound like you want to fool yourself which you won't be ale to.

Replica means something very different.

A decent fake is still going to be $1000 or more.
Had you done any research whatsoever, you would already know this.
As I said, can't fix stupid, I haven't that great of power.

Buy a Bagelsport Submariner homage and fit it with a Rolex Submariner dial and a less shitty strap.

>more expensive fakes
The whole point of a fake is to be cheap, why would you defeat the purpose like that?

If you can drop $300 on a wrist toy you can be a little patient and save to buy something actually decent.

>Had you done any research whatsoever, you would already know this.
i hope you are just pretending to be retarded, good god
care to take a guess at what im trying to do here?
jesus fuck, man

sure whatever

why not? why are fakes supposed to be cheap shit that dont look remotely similar?

i have no need for that

>i have no need for that
No need for what? A decent watch?

Lmao Archie is going places.

Just go to the replica watch forum, they have tons of information and comparisons. They love to entertain stupidity and waste tons of money on overpriced fakes and pretend their fake watches aren't absolute trash.

Those look fun, I might buy a few to take apart. I'd like to get into horology as a hobby once I have an income again. It'd be funny to badly paint a Rolex logo on the dial of a Bagelsport Submariner homage and insist that it's a real Rolex.

Fuck off Ninefag

Yeah, that would be hilarious. Are you fucking 12?

No, just an asshole. I would only wear it when visiting aforementioned watchfriend specifically for messing with him, it's not like I'd wear it in polite company or anything.

I feel like actual medically defined autism is more prevalent in wt than in other parts of Sup Forums for some reason.

Yup, 12.

youtube.com/watch?v=6IHaE-TXbZQ

ok at least your helpful

How many Amphibias are too much to own? I already got a Russian 710 and a Soviet Tonneau. I feel like I still need the small 420 with a classic dial (and maybe a coffin-link bracelet), like the Tank and maybe mod a 710 or a 090 with a Radio Room dial.

mass-produced shit like a rolex isn't horology relevant

Oh look...the faggot thread...

>for the appreciation of micro engineering...

Bullshit. Discuss micro engineering techniques and fucking gear timing you jewelry wearing faggots.

This belongs in the fashion board.

>ask about amfibia
>post komandirskie

No!

oh look a faggot

SARB033 or SKX009? I'm trying to make a 6 watch collection. I have a sarb017, srpb09 sna411, and an orient neo 70 panda. thinking about selling the neo 70.

How about not a Seiko

I'm interested in tearing apart Bagelsports to learn my way around mechanical watches without ruining something expensive, I'd like to eventually be able to work on old watches that I sometimes find for cheap. I'm interested in making a blatantly fake watch to joke with a friend who has apparently started buying decent mechanical watches. Is there a better watch to badly fake? Are there better cheap mechanical movements to learn with?

I hope your only pretending.

>smug post
>yet doesn't know that it is an Amphibian

get a parnis instead. this one is even an original design. $110 with ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, high beat miyota movement and solid end links.

>>Knockoffs
No need to buy fake watches just buy from online shops that make the same desings as the big brands, people wont notice at one meter distance.
Most desings are so old that watch manufaturers can copy them without any consecuences.

Bullshit you are. You have no such interest or you wouldn't be here in the jewelry thread.

And we all fucking know it.

Why are you thinking of selling the panda? I have the red neo70s chrono (the older, almost circular one as opposed to the newer almost rectangular one) and was thinking about selling it since I don't wear chronographs very often. Judging from the fact that it seems to have been out of production for a while and impossible to find online, I might be able to make a profit on it, but I have no idea where I could sell it. I also might never have a chance to get it back if I change my mind about it.

sarb

I spent $4 on $840 worth of mechanical watches a while back from a shop that didn't know what they were. I intend on keeping pic related and would like to service it without paying the value of the watch. I'm also going to need a /diy/ hobby to keep me sane when I go back to school and am no longer living in a place where I can pound on steel at 4am. Watchmaking and lockpicking sound like my best options for mechanical hobbies that take up small amounts of space and don't generate noise or smells that would irritate people in the next apartment over.

I don't give a fuck what any of you say i want this cuckaxial chronograph movement.

youtu.be/AAXnxdppIPc

>I spent $4 on $840 worth of mechanical watches a while back from a shop that didn't know what they were.
Do they have a website?

That Archie vid is fucking hilarious.

Nice one Arch!

>The Rolex 31xx, 32xx, 41xx and Tudor 56xx movements are all better than any movement made by the entirety of the Swatch Group. Not a single movement that The Swatch Group currently makes is even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as any of those, and that's not even to mention the towering difference in finishing quality.
3135 is considered worse than a 2892-2A by watchmakers:
chronometrie.com/rolex3135/rolex3135.html

rolex is known for their shitty finish:
timezone.com/2002/09/16/the-rolex-explorer-ref-14270-part-2/

Fuck. Now I want one too. Must be thicc though

>3135 is considered worse than a 2892-2A by watchmakers:
>chronometrie.com/rolex3135/rolex3135.html
You're either a liar or an illiterate retard, get the fuck out of here!

Best goys!

Yeah only problem with the watch is the size. I prefer 36-40mm its 44mm and 16mm thick!

No, they were going out of business and are now out of business. It was a local gun shop that existed purely because of the brick-and-mortar requirements for firearms importers. Since they didn't care much about the shop itself, prices could be a little crazy, either weirdly high or weirdly low. They also dealt in silver and gold and would occasionally buy lots of jewelry from estate sales and the like, but they only cared about the silver and gold content and not about the overall value of the individual pieces: anything that wasn't made of precious metals got tossed in a $1 junk bin. People who knew things about precious stones would go there for their "junk" jewelry, and I found these "junk" watches when I went in for gun stuff and had just started browsing /wt/. I found the 10k gold-filled Omega I posted, pic related, and two Elgin watches.

He picked the 2892 over the 3135 just because the 2892 is older with a longer history and thinner. The first point is obviously unfair, and kind of pointless anyway since Rolex and ETA both have a long history of incremental changes and upgrades to their movements without changing the model names so the movements labeled 2892 today are not the same 2892 from decades ago and neither are the 3135s or the 3255s that replaced it. And the second point is fucking dumb because the 3135 is obvious thin enough to fit in the watches Rolex uses it in, so making it thinner would add literally nothing. ETA movements benefit from being thin and small to fit in as many possible third party watches as possible, Rolex can make their movements whatever size is appropriate for their watches.

As for shitty finish, Rolex makes tool watches with solid casebacks. You can't even open the caseback without a special Rolex tool. Do you have x-ray vision or something? Why do you care?

go hate swatch somewhere else faggot.

Finish isn't something one should worry with when the movements are never intended to be displayed.
Rolex movements are pure functions, hundreds of millions into developing new ways of keeping time accurately.
Though, saying that, to have such rough tool marks and unfinished jewel settings present in a £5000 watch is to some degree, unacceptable.

>You're either a liar or an illiterate retard, get the fuck out of here!
learn to read
> Having said that though there is absolutely no question in my mind, that I prefer the ETA 2892-2A over the other two. Okay, so it’s been around almost half a century and in many ways isn’t as sophisticated as the Rolex – no Breguet hairspring, or Parachrom hairspring material etc – but during its long lifetime in its best available chronometer version, it has proven itself to be an exceptionally accurate, reliable and tough movement. Its two main advantages over the 3135 are that it’s quite a bit thinner, only 3.6mm thick versus 6mm, and has only one major weakness – the inefficiency of its automatic winding system, as I mentioned in my earlier review of it. While good enough for most reasonably active folk, it is not efficient enough for those people, young or old, who lead a sedentary lifestyle.

More Bullshit.

>timezone.com/2002/09/16/the-rolex-explorer-ref-14270-part-2/

"the only intriguing aspect of this watch is that a movement so

lacking is basic workmanship is capable of being so accurately

timed. This is, no doubt, a product of the thickness (and thus

permissible loose tolerances) of the movement, and the use of

computer-timed balance/spring assemblies. For the person for

whom accuracy of rate in a mechanical watch is the only criterion

in buying a watch, and for whom value-for-the-dollar is of little concern."

chronometrie.com

Guy has a website where he shows movements he has disassembled cleaned and serviced. Has been operating for a long period of time and is an expert in his field. You try to call him an idiot for his opinion in a Sup Forums comment. You have never even held both movement.

I love rolex and would rather have a 3135 over a 2892-2 personally....but the 2892-2 is a pretty decent movement for the price. From a Watch technicians perspective i can see why one could prefer it.

Fucking hell. Thats a deal breaker for me.

Just get the moonwatch you tasteless mong.

k

>BARREL ONE
>BARREL TWO
>COLUMN WHEEL
Holy shit, Memegacucks will defend this.

You learn to read, you asswipe, are you an actual real ETA shill or some mongoloid?
>they're roughly the same
>only I like the ETA because it's thinner and only the autowinding is shit
>so therefore it's obviously better
The last part was imagined there by your retarded extra chromosome-ridden waterbrain.

>6 shitters instead of 1 or 2 watches
lol never change, Sup Forums

>Unironically liking 44mmx16mm
>Calling me tasteless

Repostan:

Which one, /wt/?

>Omega Seamaster 300
Kind of blingy, but may remain more interesting to look at over time because of this.
No date window is a plus. So is the display caseback, I'm almost ashamed to say.
Can get a new one at half the suggested retail price from an acquaintance, so money-wise this is the best choice.

>Tudor Pelagos LHD
I LOVE the ruggedness and lack of bling factor (it's all matte).
Afraid it'll get boring to look at after a while because of the lack of bling factor and flat crystal.

>Omega Speedmaster pro
Love the design.
The movement is definitely not as advanced as the other two watches. Also not sure about winding every day.
Probably the most iconic watch ever, and therefore the most common and least unique of the three.

Pelagos

I really don't like tudors they are like poor mans rolex and I really dont like omegas although I own vintage omegas.
Speed meme man on the cuck is probably only thing worth the time and money.

Knock the Seamaster off the option list.

Try on both speedy and Pelagos, then decide.
Personally, I'd say the Pelagos.

BB and MOTFM

dumbass I am referring to the true moonwatch, which is 42mm and about 13.5mm thick.

>2021
>new Omega Grand Master Co-Axial comes out
>BARREL ONE
>BARREL TWO
>BARREL THREE
>COLUMN WHEEL
>FREE-SPRUNG SILICON BALANCE WHEEL
>RATCHET WHEEL
>ADJUSTED TO SIX POSITIONS, FIVE TEMPERATURES, SIX PHASES OF THE MOON AND ALL SEVEN CHAKRAS
>THIS PART DOES NOT HAVE A NAME YET BUT ITS SWISS PART NUMBER IS 7798

For me as well. I can't find any info on the caliber in terms of diameter or lift angle or anything like that so i don't even know what size of watch they can fit it in. Its only in a 44 and 45mm watch as of now. If it fits and they put it in a 38 or 40mm or even 42mm I would start saving for it now.

>The last part was imagined there by your retarded extra chromosome-ridden waterbrain.
clearly your reading skills are lacking.
'has only one major weakness' implies that rolex' has more, so if you read the rolex part:
>This is probably the most efficient automatic winding system available today. But unfortunately its tiny diameter doesn’t give enough support to the weight to stop it from hitting against the movement plates every time the watch is subjected to even light perpendicular blows, let alone strong ones.
>The [other] problem is that the 2 setting wheels under the dial, and the two small and thin posts that they pivot on, can be easily damaged if the lubrication runs dry. [...] This is less of a problem on the second post as it is a steel pin that is not riveted into the main plate. So it can be easily replaced if it is worn or damaged. Unfortunately the first post is part of the main plate, and is made of brass just like it. Therefore if this post gets damaged like that, the only way to repair it is by replacing the entire main plate.

seamaster is the best looking
speedmaster is the coolest
tudor is the best value and is what i would get if it fit me but i just have 7.25 inch wrists like a woman so it wears a bit large on me. You really need to go try them all on.

A 38mm speedmaster would be so nice. It wont happen though

>3135 is considered worse than a 2892-2A by watchmakers

Why would you link the article if you were going to brazenly lie about its contents? The 3135 is a significantly superior technical design to the ETA 2892-A2, and I think that article's author really undersells the technical advantages of the 3135. It has:

1) A longer power reserve
2) Superior winding efficiency
3) A free sprung balance
4) A Breguet overcoil on the hairspring
5) A balance bridge design
6) Better functional finishing on the movement

>rolex is known for their shitty finish

The case/hands/dial and especially bracelet finishing on Omegas are utterly laughable for the prices they charge and don't deserve to even be mentioned in the same breath as Rolex/Tudor. I've handled a $4,000 Aqua Terra up close and the case/dial/hands and bracelet finishing were noticeably worse than a $600 Seiko SDGM001, and no, I'm not exaggerating.

it already has but its not the original pro.

these fuckers are trying to sell women 38mm watches now... jesus fucking christ

>i just have 7.25 inch wrists like a woman
Did you mean 6.25? Because 7.25 is above average size for a non-fat person.

I have a 7 inch wrist and I can pull off 45mm watches like pic related.

>Knock the Seamaster off the option list.
Why?

Maybe you handled a shitty aqua terra but i have handled seamasters and speedmasters and they have excellent finishing. And in case you haven't noticed all the new omega's are coming with their in house movements. Everyone knows you have Omega .. no one gives a fuck.

>women 38mm watches
must be for the US market

No I mean 7.25 inch wrists. I am a manlet and most of friends have 8 inch wrists.

You wrists look flat and you may or may not be delusional as fuck

What is a free sprung balance ? What is it compared to?

>one is not that much of an issue since everything is protected
>the other only happens at a lack of service, which doesn't really happen with a Rolex
>also see
You're either absolutely dumb, or a fucking liar.

I handled a PO chrono and the hands were laughable. Japs made better hands in the 70's.

>you may or may not be delusional as fuck
You tell me, m'lord. Am I pulling off that 45mm watch or not?

also that watch has an integrated bracelet so it wears smaller than most other 45mm watches. It still looks too big