Talos II - POWER9 motherboard

The botnet-free POWER-based motherboard is back, this time with POWER9, and in cooperation with IBM.
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/prerelease.php

There's also an IRC channel at #talos-workstation@freenode

>back
>prerelease
fuck off

is power actually free (as in freedom)

I want it. I can stop using DDR2 Ram and shitty opterons if they just make this.

Yes.

Can it libreboot.

The last one had some sort of freetard firmware. I'd love to see it come with Open Firmware.

It's not crowdfunded this time, straight to market.

Libreboot is for PC compatibles. This one has it's own open firmware.

Finally

I can't wait to build a power9 PC. What do you think the price for the Motherboard and the CPU's will be?

way too much

Not too much, just a lot

The last one was what... $4000?

It's going to be an underperforming housefire.
You can't just take a big-iron server chip, put it into a desktop, and call it a day. That's not how it works.

Shieeeeet

>IBM
lol

But muh freedumb.

>not liking the company that made one of the best laptops and one of the best keyboards.

How powerful is it? compared to some x86 cpu

How the fuck do they expect me to be able to afford that?

HOW MUCH WILL IT COST

See

6 dollars? I don't think thats the real price.

am moist.

Order one and claim it said it was 6 bucks.

So this is coming with CPU?
What are specs? (I'm on phone, spare me)

Like 50 more powerful.

wewlad
e
w
l
a
d

Its going to be pretty expensive then.

Dont make stuff up

They probably forgot a few zeros.

>competitive pricing

So "only" $8k for a workstation?

This will be DOA just like TALOS I

I wouldn't be shocked at $6,000 base price DESU.

Weren't the previous power8 Talos boards being quoted at like $5k minimum?

The board itself was around $1000-1500 iirc, but the easiest way to actually get a CPU for it was having it bundled with the mobo order and that's where the true wallet rape was.

As someone who's spent his life doing security, this is a marketing pitch. The only thing this thing ensures is that the firmware you have running can't access the *whole* system, but it doesn't prevent any kind of IOMMU attack, side channels or give any memory safety. This is garbage in terms of security and the people building it should feel bad for calling it secure.

>but the easiest way to actually get a CPU
pretty much the only way unless you already had access through work or other connections

Who's the market for this? Pedos, drug dealers and foreign spies?

Anyone wanting to develop for POWER maybe?

If you want to develop for Power, you probably work for a company who will buy you a legit IBM system.

What OS's work with this? Debian?

Seems so. But I wonder what software you could install, what desktop flavours support Power?

I can't wait to not afford this!

Save up your neetbux for 10 years until its obsolute.

Pretty much anything open source can be installed. If you can get by with a freetard setup on x86, you can on POWER.

Neat. If I had the money I'd buy it and make a regular Linux desktop just for fun.

I'm going to wait a year or two until its lightly cheaper on the used market.

>neetbux
If only.

What price could I realistically expect on the used market?

I really don't know.

He's honestly dreaming if he thinks it will be cheaper used, anyone buying one new is VERY unlikely to let it go easily, and if they were, they would expect to get back the vast majority of their purchase price, it's a VERY niche product with a very very small potential market.

MOST people dropping the $6k+ for one of these are going to be well off where that $6k wont be a particular financial burden, so they would be highly unlikely to sell it, and if they did they would have no problem waiting for a buyer with enough money.