4k meme

I'm finally upgrading to a real memestation and am stuck on what I should do for graphics.
Is 4k worth it?
Will I be able to find a decent monitor at a reasonable price? I want at least 2 and want them to be quality enough that I don't mind buying a third of the same type later on.
These are the two I'm looking at:
>Samsung U28E590D
>LG 27UD58-B

It's hard when I could get 3 normal screens at a fraction of the price.

I also don't play vidya, should I be concerned about:
>ips vs tn
>response times
>refresh rate
>linux

Basically I'm worried that I'll max out just the 4k spec and end up with something that's complete garbage in every other regard.
...and having trouble finding non-affiliate non-prole recommendations

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00PC9HFO8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
monoprice.com/product?p_id=18546
amazon.com/QNIX3216R-3840X2160-FreeSync-Technology-Monitor/dp/B01M316EML/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500428194&sr=8-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh yeah and lets say a hard budget of $800 on screens.
Fuck it seems absurd, but I also want to be "future proofed"

Has science gone too far?
YES NO

If you're not gaymen get a gook 40 inch 4k.

>gook 40 inch 4k
Considered this, but I was reading that the 30hz refresh is unbearable even for programming.

>30 hz refresh rate
You do realize that there's regular 40 inch 4k monitors with 4:4:4 and 60 fps right?

is a 4k screen better than 2 hd screens?

maybe for photo editing or something that requires better resolutions

I prefer two HD screens because they probably will have a higher refresh rate and I can multi task easier such as gaming and watching a video

Any recommendations? Not OP but I plan on doing this.
Looking for something fairly cheap that doesn't have vertical viewing angle problems since I will be fairly close to the screen. Also want something around 40" since I'll be using it as a TV a lot.

mine is amazon.com/gp/product/B00PC9HFO8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pretty good imho

There's a Monoprice branded 28in tn panel that regularly goes on sale for $300. It's out of stock now.
monoprice.com/product?p_id=18546

On amazon there's a Qnix 32in ips for $400.
amazon.com/QNIX3216R-3840X2160-FreeSync-Technology-Monitor/dp/B01M316EML/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500428194&sr=8-1

I have ips monoprice monitors and I'm happy with them, but they're not that model.

Saw this, definitely nice. Maybe I'll just get one like this. I really wanted two, but I also don't want 2 shit monitors. Then I could justify adding the same brand and model later.

Thanks I'll look into monoprice. That qnix has a bunch of fake chinese reviews.

How much would you prioritize ips?

>How much would you prioritize ips?
I think how your monitors are set up would make the difference because the viewing angles would be a factor. I wouldn't want to have to move my head to see part of the screen correctly. I think ips has better blacks also. For me both of these are important.

I don't have experience with multiple tn panels though. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Thanks for the input.
Still undecided, will probably go for the 27 inch LG in the OP. Since it has IPS and reasonable on the other specs which likely won't even matter to me.

One more question, thoughts on having a 4k monitor side by side with a non-4k (say one on each side). Would this be too weird on your brain?
For the price it would get a ton more screen space. I could do that sideways monitor setup I've always dreamed of.

More likely you'll have real issues with UI scaling.
PPI has to be similiar to avoid it, so if you want a non-4k sister screen it's gotta be a lot smaller to play nice.

I bought a 32. inch 4k koreean display and it serves me well. The realestate is a godsent.

27 inch 4k running at 1440p resolution.

Its worth it, specially on hackintosh, since they have top tier font rendering and high ress icons for everything

>Is 4k worth it?
only if ~ 45" or ~ 23" - that one can be found for $350

scale ppi 4K FHD
-------------------------
1x 96 45.8" 22.9"
1.25x 120 36.7" 18"
1.5x 144 30.5" 15.2"
1.75x 168 26.2" 13.1"
1.875x 180 24.4" 12.2"
2x 192 22.9" 11.4"

I tried

kek

>gaps outer 20000px
solved

2006 called, they want their jokes back

I just bought the 27UD58-B. On vacation now so all I can say is that I shelled out the extra 60 dollars for it for IPS

I bought a Hisense M3000 43 inch 4k TV for £290 delivered. It's great, no input lag at all. Would recommend.

Only thing I should mention is I did have to install a special linux-staging-amd kernel to get 4k 60hz with my RX 480, otherwise it was stuck at 30hz.

>I prefer two HD screens because they probably will have a higher refresh rate and I can multi task easier such as gaming and watching a video
don't forget about not having to use scaling which is useful on anything that isn't macOS or Gnome3

I'm waiting for them to come with decent built in kvm. Like having a second PC connected picture in picture mode where you can reposition and define the resolution it takes on the screen.

>Oh yeah and lets say a hard budget of $800 on screens.
>Fuck it seems absurd, but I also want to be "future proofed"

not habbening.
UHD@120+ hasn't become widespread yet, so you either pay more for a shit panel 27" one now or wait.

no bully robert

You could consider the AOC u2777pqu if you don't want to spend too much. The specs are pretty good (IPS, 4ms 1000:1), it comes factory calibrated and I can even run mine at 70Hz over display port. (It technically supports up to 80Hz, but that's way out of spec for DP 1.2)

found the black face

k
whose robert

Future proof. Topkek you must be new.

lads, im slightly colorblind (have trouble differentiating between shades) so is it worth for me to get some fancier ips monitors or just stick with cheapo ones?

What is he working on? What kind of job is that?

>if you don't like my stale memes that were done to death 10 years ago then you're reddit
here's another image you might find funny seeing as you just stepped out of a time portal

4k 60hz is do-able in most of today gpu's and 4k screen.

Btw if u get 4k 60hz screen remember that you'll need to use at least Display Port 1.2 or HDMI 2.0.

money

professional graph watcher

seat heater

all these pictures of traders always show a big ass screen with some big ass statistics and no news, no google, no research about anything
is this how it actually work in the business?

>casual racism is a stale meme

Yes 4k is amazing
Yes 4k is the future
Yes 4k DOES allow you to actually multitask with shitload of windows
(a 32" 4k display is equal to an array of 4 16" 1080p laptop screen)

>ips vs tn
TN HAS NO RIGHT TO EXIST
TN IS FUCKING ABHORRENT SHIT

Consier only buying IPS or VA family (VA/MVA/AHMVA or quantum dot)
IPS still has superior color representation but poor contrast ratio, black levels and backlight uniformity
VA might be slightly inferior in color but have better contrast (3000 vs 1000ips), great black levels, are faster and there are gaymen high refresh models and Quantum dot supports HDR

I would recommend you getting a large quantum dot one
>good overall
>supports HDR
>doesnt cost an absolute fortune like OLED

If you're a total photoshop nut and you need super duper color accuracy then get one with super IPS

This is a good monitor. The LG 27UD88 is another that is very nice.

>LG 27UD88
I would dessuade you from getting anything smaller than 32"

Seriously. Get a big one you wont regret it.

I'm considering the 32UD99 but I don't want much larger than that. PPI matters a lot to me.