/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Al Gore Fans:
youtube.com/watch?v=pbgcyW-MqtY

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chrono24.com/omega/speedmaster--mod74.htm?dosearch=true&query=omega speedmaster
meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/spare-parts/vostok-watch-rubber-seals-set-to-vostok-amphibian-watch.html
youtu.be/hsOR8GzmCzw?t=7m49s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pan Am Air King ... nice choice

Is 2,500 for a new speedmaster with leather strap a good price?

Its so good its unbelievable.. meaning i wouldn't trust it.

chrono24.com/omega/speedmaster--mod74.htm?dosearch=true&query=omega speedmaster

bets triple sensor watch?

I checked that site, but it's still kinda hard to get my bearings price-wise since I don't know what's legit and what's not.

So is this a really good price?

It seems legit, my brother is in the town where it's being sold so I'd buy it through him.
Is there an easy way to verify how legit it is?

comments on the Seiko SNKN85K1 21 jewels automatic? local Rolex dealer is selling at $142, thinking of getting my first proper inexpensive automatic.

No save a little more and buy something mid range. Trust me.

>Seiko SNKN85K1

Plus you can get Seiko 5's for like $60. The guy is ripping you off either way.

Its hideous

But what about dainiai sekosha

can you recommend a decent mid range automatic watch?

Eh, this is pretty shitty advice. Even if you are saving up for a nicer watch, a Seiko 5 won't set you back very far. It is better to wear a cheap watch while saving, getting used to mechanicals and wearing a watch, than to go without one at all for however many years.

>Eh, this is pretty shitty advice. Even if you are saving up for a nicer watch, a Seiko 5 won't set you back very far. It is better to wear a cheap watch while saving, getting used to mechanicals and wearing a watch, than to go without one at all for however many years.

People start collecting shitters though and end up spending as much money on their dogshit collection as it would cost to get a nice Tudor or Air-King or something.

Most of the really low end mechanicals are borderline useless as timekeepers and vary by like 30 seconds a day. Unless he just doesn't care he's going to be irritated by how off it is constantly.

Save up and get something good.

>inb4 autistic screeching

That chart needs to be updated

Also calling all eta/sellita/seagul/seiko based watches in between 100 and 500 dollars dogshit but oreints/seikos not dogshit is retarded.

Either they are all dogshit or none are dogshit.

approved brands
Breitling
lol

entry level approved brands citizen
jesus christ

>People start collecting shitters though and end up spending as much money on their dogshit collection as it would cost to get a nice Tudor or Air-King or something.
People also get a shitter and then save for a nicer piece. Sounds like you are the generalizing, autistically screaching one. Also, why the fuck would you suggest an Air-King?

>Most of the really low end mechanicals are borderline useless as timekeepers and vary by like 30 seconds a day. Unless he just doesn't care he's going to be irritated by how off it is constantly.
Maybe 30 sec if you get a shitty one. After a couple days it can be adjusted anyway, and as long as it runs fast or you set is ahead, you will never be late.

That chart is also pretty shit, but this is well-known.

Hello newfriend, just FYI that whole chart is bait posted by one of the resident /wt/ shitposters who literally hang out on /wt/ thread after thread for the sole purposes of shitting up as much as humanly possible.

Yes, there are people who actually spend their time that way.

Yes, I know that's the most pathetic thing of all time.

This is not ture,ignore this guy he is Archie tier elitist.

>This is not ture,ignore this guy he is Archie tier elitist.
Exhibit A.

Lmao right hahahah XXDD

what's a 1:1 premium? is it another term for knock off?

You guys get really asspained about anyone suggesting that it might be better to just save up.

Even if you think cheap watches are great, why do you care if someone expresses that they feel that they aren't?

holy fuk . why?

you quoted me but i was just commenting on why that troll chart was wrong. I don't think people should buy shitters.

Not everyone can drop 50K on a watch,and second and third world tier paychecks are a real thing.

>You were warned. You must first view this warning to post again.
thanks mods

no i meant why are you wasting your time shitposting?

but i wasnt

I mean that in the sense of at least having a watch that fucking handwinds and hacks.

yeah the 7s26 is really not acceptable.

I love the dial textures Seiko was pumping out in the 70's. Wish I had a better camera. This is the only quartz I still own.

I totally agree with your advice, but let's not exaggerate. Your typical Seiko 5 with a 7s26 will not be off by more than 1 minute per week.

Seikos in general tend to outperform the listed specs consistently.

Now a fucking vostok will be off by 30 secs to a minute per day.

what's the purpose of wearing watches in 2017?
I prefer to buy sunglasses and bracelets

I took a shot with flash, shows off the texture a bit better.

To quickly ascertain the time, the same reason watches have been worn on the wrist since WWI.

Also,
>bracelets
Kill yourself.

you've to live in niggerland to not find a quick way to ascertain the time
also, I'm able to guess time at near 5min anytime I want

Good for you faggot, I wear a watch.

gtfo

literally no one gives a fuck about your nip shit quartz watch .. maybe when the other seiko fags show up from their morning cuck ritual they will tell you how beautiful it is.

>stop liking what I don't like
Consider suicide.

Nice penis quartz. Ignore the resident shitposters.

:^)

That's a great dial.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but does the date wheel texture match the watch face?

It is, though I'm planning on selling that watched eventually as I don't wear it enough.

The day and date wheel both have different textures from the dial, and from each other. The date is slightly darker, and brushed in the opposite direction from the day.

what do you think about this?

If you are going to get a speedmaster there are better options. And if you are going to get a meteorite dial get something like a dress watch with a clean simple design.

My first watch was an snk809 then I got this (Seiko 6n42-00e0) on a whim for $40 to see if I liked a bracelet because I remember as a kid wearing an unsized bracelet that I didn't like them as much as the leather straps. Turns out I really liked this watch and now I am buying a sarx033 next month. Point is get cheap garbage to get a sense of your taste and what works for you, then get something that you know you will like and works with your budget.

Buying something just because I'm looks nice online plus the groupthink factor of online communities is a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.

Sorry I'm=it

On mobile obviously to take that pic.

Alright, I subjected this old fucker to every kind of non-destructive and semi-destructive water resistance test I could think of. Final test was the dark, forbidden rite of warm water leak checking (pictured), which is especially risky on a compressor watch. Either way I look at it this old comrade is waterproof to at least 50 meters, and ready for snorkeling.

My condolences.

You should have replaced the seals and pressure tested it sans movement.

meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/spare-parts/vostok-watch-rubber-seals-set-to-vostok-amphibian-watch.html

>Point is get cheap garbage to get a sense of your taste and what works for you, then get something that you know you will like and works with your budget.
>
>Buying something just because I'm looks nice online plus the groupthink factor of online communities is a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.
so why do you buy cheap garbage seikos that weebos like again?

Is the Speedmaster Pro cliché?

Already done all that. I did an air pressure test with a certified tester (pic of the same model) several times at 0.5, 1, 3 and 5bar.

This was just the final test. I do have a new Amphibia too, but I took that apart for servicing, despite it being only 3 years old instead of 10 (I opened it up a lot before for modding).

no

Or yes?

ah my bad didn't know the whole story. How do you have access to that tester? Thanks for posting and clarifying btw; Actual watch modding/testing is the most interesting thing to happen in these threads.

My dad fixed ac units for a living and wore Seiko all his life. Just because it's popular here to doesn't mean I know all I have learned from you guys.

Although I do own 8 thinkpads..

I work as a watch repairer/batterynigger at a jewery store, the machine belongs to my colleague. I already have like 75-80% of all the tools a basic mediocre watchmaker will need at least once in a life, but WR-testers are expensive as shit. I also built a basic software-defined timegrapher hooked up to my PC.

He doesn't know James Bond wore a Seiko.

>actually wearing Shitko

Please stop hating on Seiko.

Swiss watch bubble can't burst soon enough..

>yfw I will be able to buy a Rolex for $300

Dont worry I was just shitposting,my young brother calls it Shitko for real though.

how did you do it ? Sort of like this?

I have almost no tools.
I have this in pic. brass tweezers, steel tweezers, precision screwdrivers, hand remover, hand press, movement holder, a few loups,caseback tools, and a cheap crystal press.

I have no peg wood, no oilers, no rodico, no jewel press... etc

He doesn't know that James bond is a fictional character from a series of novels. In said novels the actual James Bond wore Rolex watches. The 1970s movie studio money machine made roger moore wear shitko's sullying the character of James Bond.

It's just a prebuilt pre-amp circuit slapped into a plastic project box, with a piezo mic. Real basic shit, I just followed some guide on the Internet.

Yeah thats what mine is as well. You use TG 0.4.0 software?

Yeah, it works most of the time.

I have to basically shut everything down in my house and not move to get a reasonably accurate reading.

You're doing it wrong then, a contact mic should only pic up sound of what it's attached to (and if you don't cushion it then also what that object is resting on).

the contact mic is attached to the outside of the watch case resting on a soft object. If you speak loudly or play music in close proximity to the watch the case will vibrate thus transferring energy to the piezo electric substrate. My work room is right next to a large central air unit which when on will vibrate the table holding the watch and thus the piezo electric substrate.. etc.

That still doesn't sound right though.

I don't mean to be rude but do you not understand the concept of a piezo electric device? It converts mechanical force to electricity or electricity to mechanical force. If you vibrate the substrate it will produce electrical output which the amplifier will enhance. put your watch next to a speaker or on a vibrating table. the watch case will obviously have mechanical energy transferred to it.

don't expect mechanical watch fags to understand the basics of quartz

youtu.be/hsOR8GzmCzw?t=7m49s

Extremely

So since we're talking ghetto ass watchmaking tools, what do you guys think of this lathe setup I have at my internship place? this Is used by a serious professional business btw.

All that matters is that the motor vibration is properly isolated with he belts they are using and that the chuck spins true with no almost no positional variation. The slight parallax error from the machine to eyepiece angle may not be the best but it probably doesn't matter all that much.

look fine,seriously.

Used it today to turn a balance staff, pic related is the lower pivot. 0.0115mm tapers to 0.0085mm

That's crazy man. I worked in a machine shop for a few years and can't even imagine turning something that small..granted i didn't have the tools. What cutters are you using and how the hell are you measuring that?

It does work reasonably Well, but god the sound it makes.

A high speed steel graver, pic related and a standard micrometer.

>I prefer to buy sunglasses and bracelets
please do so and post your purchases.

I think its fucking disgusting.

What's the purpose of wearing sunglasses and wearing bracelets? Just squint your eyes. No bracelet will ever look as nice as a watch.

What's the purpose of wearing a bracelet that doesn't tell you the time?

wtf i hate apple watch now

>2017
>still using watches
for what purpose

to fuck your mother

Ayy

Where do you buy tools from? Do you have any books and stuff to recommend for learning, or did you do a formal training? I think it would be fun to poke around in watches as a hobby.

ofrei,startime, amazon, ebay etc