/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
LG USA Mobile on Twitter: 8/31/17. Berlin, Germany. Mark your calendar for a brand new chapter. #V #LG
twitter.com/LGUSAMobile/status/885953047809183745 (embed)

ZTE launches a $99 phone with a fingerprint sensor
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/14/15971016/zte-blade-spark-price-att-fingerprint-sensor-prepaid

Source: Pixel XL 2 will have Ambient Display Always On, Squeezing while Screen Off, Multiple Display Profiles, and More
xda-developers.com/source-pixel-xl-2-will-have-ambient-display-always-on-squeezing-while-screen-off-multiple-display-profiles-and-more/

Samsung has released a app that can live stream your device to Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook.
apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/game-live/game-live-0-1-03-0-release/game-live-0-1-03-0-android-apk-download/

HTC U11 - Real Review
[YouTube] HTC U11 "Real Review" (embed)

Oppo R11 Review
gsmarena.com/oppo_r11-review-1631.php

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer
amazon.com/dp/B01NBP9LRS/
amazon.com/dp/B06XD1K5S6/
amazon.com/dp/B06XCP12HS/
amazon.de/Motorola-Smartphone-Android-Schwarz-Silber/dp/B01KUXKP92/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How does one conquer the problem of WhatsApp (among other apps) notifications not arriving some times?

I had this problem on Marshmallow (CM13), and I still have it on Nougat (LineageOS). I've always had battery optimization turned off for WhatsApp.
On Marshmallow I "solved" it by using a Tasker plugin to check if WhatsApp process was running and notifying me when it died for whatever reason. This doesn't work on Nougat, because that Tasker plugin just sits there doing nothing at all.

The app appears to be alive and running (i.e. doesn't launch from zero like it's been completely dead) but notifications arrive only after opening it.

What do?

Shit news, don't make a thread if you can't be bothered in putting any effort in it

I've tried, doesn't work much unless it's pitch black

Here is my usage things in GSam

Wow, that Pixel news is underwhelming. We get two extra settings, and a silly squeeze frame. Hopefully it has an option to disable that completely. I can just see that thing going off in my pocket because I bent over and "squeezed" the phone in my pocket.

It's not Samsung (if you get my drift) so probably yeah you can disable it

Never owned a Samsung device, fill me in here. They have a habit of making features impossible to disable?

There's a hardware button on Galaxy S8. Samsung only wants it to be used for Bixby, their pathetic attempt at a voice assistant. Android Community wants to remap it to do useful things. The succeed, only to have that loophole be blocked in the next update.

Samsung has blocked them several times, and it's absolutely retarded.

V20

nokia 7 with sd 660 and a 5 inch display when?

That does sound stupid, I'd hate for my phone to have a button that only opened the google assistant. And I actually use that thing sometimes, and I feel that way. Reminds me a bit of years back when some company made a facebook phone. Literally an android phone where the central hardware button was a facebook button. Let you do shit like share pictures or whatever to facebook. Totally pointless to exist, considering it's something any phone can do anyway. At least that phone people knew to steer away from. Way worse to put a big fuck you button on your flagship phone. Speaking of, when is Samsung going to stop making mistakes with their phones? Seems like the last 3 or whatever have caught fire and blown up, now they intentionally piss off the community by forcibly making hardware buttons useless? I'd say GG, but they're too big to fail from these mistakes.

Probably announced in 2-3 months then shipped in 6-8

>iterally an android phone where the central hardware button was a facebook button
Oh yeah, those were two weird little HTC phones. I forgot about those abominations.

> nokia 7 with sd 660 and a 5 inch display when?
This but I'd prefer a 5.5" screen

Ahh, they look different than I remember, I mistakenly believed the facebook button was the center one. That's actually less atrocious than I remember, to some degree. Still though. Idk about anybody else, but I find using a voice assistant to actually perform a task is generally more of a pain in the ass. Only really useful in my book for creating reminders and asking what today's forecast is. Every time I try to do anything else, like using it to control my music playback, instead of, say, playing music when I say "play [artist name]", it just does a literal google search for the words "play [artist name]". 2017 and voice assistants still have at least 5 years to go before they're remotely reliable.

Last few Samsung's I've had bring people bring me to setup email had cracks or scratches in the screen, is it that edge shit or did they skimp on the gorilla glass?

Bixby actually isn't awful, they just pushed it out for US users, and despite the button mishaps and the fact it's still kinda rough sometimes, i think it has a lot of potential, and they're getting there

t. S8+ on at&t

Gorilla glass is known to scratch, and modern Galaxy s phones have gorilla glass. Edge screen doesn't help when it comes to cracks, too

Hard to say, did any of them have cases on them? I've dropped my 6P probably more times than I can count, some with no case, most with a case on. Screen is flawless to this day. So either these guys are dropping it facedown on pavement with no case, or the gorilla glass is shit.

Is the Aquaris U plus any good? Anyone got one? price is nice, but I'd like to be sure

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer
?

I would suggest aquaris x5 plus since it's the better phone but it's so expensive right now. Wtf happened.

Should I get a V20 in mid-2017?
They don't update it and it has shitty LG software.
Who am I kidding it's an LG phone, no good track record

It's also out of fucking stock, as I've seen. Seriously wanted to buy it, but I want something in the next 5 weeks or so. Also the U plus has root and fingerprint, so I don't really care. LineageOS as well, so I'm covered.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I don't know if I'd rely on LineageOS

P.S.: it was also right around my price limit (250€)
What's not to rely on? Nightlies are out, plus I can just root without Lineage, so I can get rid of GApps, right?

My mom got it for 260 euros 6 Months ago or so. Are they out of stock because of the new x variant? That's odd desu.

I'd suspect a spike in popularity. But hey, I need music, docs, no gapps and multitasking. Fingerprint reader's nice, phone seems fine 'nuff, couldn't give a shit about the cameras tho. (If it were up to me, I'd remove them)

the p10 slides like ice, i had it sitting flat on a table and it fell off

Check out the Moto Z Play, pretty good deal for 249€

>
>Never owned a Samsung device, fill me in here. They have a habit of making features impossible to disable
Fuck yes

People like encourage companies to do this shit and thus you shall die.

Are current Moto G's more powerful than One PLus One's? The sim card on my One Plus One fucked itself. Unless someone knows a fix, my phone is focked dude.

Looking to get a new phone. Had the nexus six for awhile now. Amerifat on Verizon cause I get a great discount and other coverage sucks nuts here. Recommendations? Thanks senpai

FUCK YOU!

I was almost ready to bite! Now I won't be able to sleep! Fuck! I want to buy the Moto Z play but it looks faggy! But it has 3GB RAM and a front-mounted fingerprint scanner!

BUT the U plus is much easier to tear down, no glue and shit to get to the battery. Plus, the Uma Thurman ad hasn't helped sell me on the Moto Z, not ONE bit. Full of gimmicky bullshit.

Who nexbit here?

are moto mods a meme?

The camera and projector one yes. The battery and speaker ones are nice if a bit expensive, there's a mod that adds wireless charging which is pretty neat. There's even a slide-out keyboard mod being developed.

the gamepad looks really nice desu

has anyone actually used android on a lumia 520? I've seen 6 and 7.1 running on it, what's the fastest?

hey look it's a nintendo switch

This is why I never buy Samsung, or any massive brand these days. They try to shove their garbage down your throat with no option because they know best.

Look at the Zuk Z2 button. You can swipe left or right on it to go previous/next app, pressing it once goes home, pressing it twice goes to the recent apps screen, and you can change the function of everything.

>samshit gets broken bixby button while u11 gets superior alexa

bought an S8+ yesterday, what kinda cool shit can i do? (used to be on iphone) remap the bixby button right?

>graham cracker durability
no thanks

t. chucklehead that can't take care of his hardware

I never use screen protectors or cases. Just not a fan of cheap hardware is all

Hey how do I make a tibkp titanium backup of an app? I've been trying but I get three files instead of one

I moved from a Galaxy Note 4 without case to a Galaxy A9 pro with case and the Note 4 feels so small now. How do manlets even live?

>No good Muh sub 5" smartphones

For the moto g5 plus, which case is best case?

amazon.com/dp/B01NBP9LRS/
amazon.com/dp/B06XD1K5S6/
amazon.com/dp/B06XCP12HS/

I'm kind of interested in the second one, but the third one looks tougher. Or it doesn't really matter?

Or do you think I should get it off ebay? Though, I do need it very soon.

each app has 3 files for the backup

Then how do I restore them to another phone? In the menu there's an option for importing tibkp backups

Learn English first :^)

My man

I am a Note 7 refugee to the V20 and I'm happy. Software isn't laggy. You need Nova Launcher though. LG's launcher sucks.

Of those 3, the last one is the least horrible

Bump

I've never understood this problem, unless you walk all over your phone or deliberately try to fuck with it, sub par build quality shouldn't be an issue. Nextbit has great specs for $110, that's all that matters to me.

zip the folder and extract in the other phone, then restore it

you could just move the 3 files to the ttbk folder in the other phone

Unless your pockets are within a foot of the ground, anybody should want good build quality, on top of a good case. I've seen phones break with a single drop from like knee height onto carpet. It just happens. Also
>new captcha with MSpaint-like polygon drag handle bullshit
What in the fuck is this shit, never seen that one before.

*most horrible

They're all shit. It's a cheap ass disposable phone, don't try to church it up son

Will rooting my phone(Samsung Galaxy S7) void the warranty?

When I bought my phone, I received a scratch coupon that made me win a 2 year warranty with damage protection. Since I don't really like Samsung's UI, I am considering rooting it and installing Cyanogen but I'm worried if it will void the warranty?

yes

Thanks. Shit, I'm never gonna by Samsung again.

it's not just samsung, most phone manufacturers will void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader or installing custom ROMs

I want a giant phone with decent battery life, an OLED display, good custom ROM support, a headphone jack, wireless charging, and software control keys that works for at the very least calls and texts on Sprint and Verizon. Cellular data not working is not a deal breaker, I don't really use it. My budget is $300. I feel like the Nexus 6 is the perfect phone for me, and I can get a slightly used 64GB for like $200 or an open box and never used/used once unit for close to $300. What do you guys think?

I feel like people in hell want ice water. Huge screen and good battery life are opposites.

from the thumbnal I thought this had an antenna extending to the sides at the top

I understand that, which is why I said decent.

I liked my LG phone until it fucking bootlooped, now I really don't recommend anyone get one of their phones until we know it's safe

Not if the phone is a Mi Max 2

What model? My understanding is that V20 has been pretty much issue free.

Hey Sup Forumsents, fa/tg/uy here

My Samsung S5 just had its display shit the bed and Im looking to replace. Budget is kinda tight so my first guess is just re-buying the S5 because its been a good phone and one of the cheaper options. I have a little bit of wiggle room, and was wondering if hopping up to a S6 (or any other "last gen" phone) was worth it.

My plan is just swapping out the SIM card and going from there, but do you guys have any alternative recommendations as Im not tied to a brand in any real way as long as I can just hot-swap the SIM.

Mine was a G4, my friend lost his G5. Admittedly my friend with a V20 hasn't had any issues, but at least my trust in them is still shakey since the G4 and G5 bootloops didn't really start until later in the phone's lifespan

I think I am having an existential crisis here.

Here's the deal.

>Always been as updated as one can be.
>HTC one m7 to z3 compact to nexus 5x
>Get to android 7.x.x and love the feel.
>Mess up phone software and get it stuck on twrp screen
>Whatever
>Get old HTC desire 516 stuck on android 4.3.
>After less than 2 hours absolutely fall in love with the feel of old android.

Am I going insane here? I love android and what google has been doing with it but it feels so comfortable here.
I gave up raw photos, 1080p display, a good camera, mid to high internals etc but it's so nice.

I was gonna buy some chinkshit phone with android 6 or 7 but I can't for the life of me justify the purchase anymore. It's too nice here in Jellybean land.

The S6 doesn't have many of the nice features the S5 has like removable battery, expandable storage, water resistance or TV out. Battery life is worse too. IMO the S6 is not worth it at all.

>Whatever
Prove you belong on Sup Forums and fix it

I have many times in the past with my m7 and my dads BLU phone and so on. Believe me I fix my electronics but I take my sweet time since I have to juggle job, friends and extra activities and overall don't have lots of time left. But this is so nice. It feels so damn smooth here and I can't figure out why.

any other "generation equivalent" phones you would recommend?

Was the S6 that big of a flop? My budget is 400ish. But Im totally open to swapping brands if theres been a great new phone made by some other company

Update:
Appears to have drained 34% over 6 hours. Is that good?

Guys, I want to buy a nice smartphone for playing some games like Hearthstone and watching youtube.
Is the new Huawei P10 Lite an okay choice?
I kinda want a 5.5 inch phone and the P10 Lite is 5.2, is the screen size difference between 5.2 and 5.5 very big? Please halp, Any advice and suggestions are welcomed!

Probably wasn't a flop in term of sales simply because people bought it for being a galaxy flagship but it is kinda shit.

>400ish
Axon 7, Honor 8

thats the gayest shit i ever saw, you kiss your boyfriend with that in your pocklet?

What's your current SoT?

Budget/country?

Up to 450$. Country: Bulgaria

>is the screen size difference between 5.2 and 5.5 very big?

No. What was your last phone? The P10 is good for your needs, and I can't see why you'd cry over 0.3 inches.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. My last phone was 5.0. HTC 620g or something.

Maybe worth checking out if this ships to Bulgaria, it's a really good price for the phone
amazon.de/Motorola-Smartphone-Android-Schwarz-Silber/dp/B01KUXKP92/

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks nice, but I think I will stick to the P10 Lite since I really liked it the moment it popped up. I checked the Motorola one on the Bulgarian sites and it's muuuch more expensive (150 euro). Still, thank you very much for the time spared!

What is the call blocker of choice for Android? How do call blocker apps work anyway? Do they just stay open in the background or do they work on a deeper level or something? My phone has terrible memory management and shit closes itself almost immediately if I'm not using it, so I'm wondering if installing one will even do anything.

yeah I've seen that video but when the fuck does your phone face the sort of pressure that would bend and break it? Only way I can see is if you're some fatass who also carries it in their back pocket and sits on it. But who the fuck puts a phone in their back pocket, shit's liable to get stolen faster than a hot bucket of kfc left on the curb of the ghetto

>stealing a $100 phone

Monkey see, monkey steal

Oh shit. Thanks again.

What is a small current smartphone that is small and very comfortable on hands?

iPhone SE

Rn 1 he 57, but 57 mins when you posted

Looking for something stock Android. 6P or Pixel XL?