Linux

Alright Sup Forums,

Gaymer here, want to dual boot a lite installation of windows for gaymin purposes and run a linux distro as my primary functional OS. Part Picker: pcpartpicker.com/list/MzmqzM

What's my best option for a linux distro? I would like something reasonably secure, but I am not crazy familiar with Linux and would rather not spend forever fucking around with hacked drivers. Just want a stable, modern OS.

install gentoo

Gentoo if real
Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu if pussy

Debian

Install Gentoo matey.

OP here, opinions on Hackintosh?

>os for fags
seems to suit you op

Well, you have a solid argument here for sure.

Not worth it
Use Ubuntu if you want something that just works (for the most part) and once you are more familiar with linux you can switch to something more personal that requires more tinkering.

Makes sense, thanks. Jokes aside, how is Gentoo and Debian?

Any answer that's not "Ubuntu" is someone trying to meme you into NEETness.

That was about my assumption. Thanks

See build on tonnymacx86

Works just fine, don't listen to genuine homosexuals

Just look up how to set it up.

Gentoo would be a nightmare for a novice. Debian is similar to Ubuntu, but the latter is tailored to "just work" and be very easy for new users. Debian requires a bit of tinkering and also ships quite outdated software on the stable branch.

For a starter, isn't Linux Mint should fit better?
don't forget to check out "flavors" of Ubuntu, 17.04 comes with Unity and will be removed in 17.10, so I don't recommend installing current default 17.04, go with Ubuntu GNOME
hint: first two stands for current year, other two stands for which month it is released

Ubuntu is the one that's popular, well supported and easy. The modern part is mostly from desktop environments, they change the UI. You can install any DE or even multiple ones and then select the one you want to open while logging in.

Modern DEs are Unity, Gnome and Cinnamon at least. A very comfy one is XFCE, you can change a lot of things as you like easily.

Not OP but thanks. I tried GNOME once and liked it. XFCE in Xubuntu looked too plain and ugly.

Fedora till you are comfortable with Linux, then move to a rolling release distro

Debian 9 "Stretch" just came out. Software in the Stretch repository isn't all that outdated.

You're joking right? OP wants reasonably secure (third party OS X distributions may have malware) and doesn't want to have to troubleshoot every time he installs or updates the system. Hackintosh has no proper documentation.

Don't tailor hardware purchases specifically for a Hackintosh build. OS X can be installed in a virtual machine if you decide to try it.

please leave you reddit newfag