Comp Sci Student Laptop

I'm starting first year comp sci this fall, recommendations for a laptop? People have recommended think-pads and mac-books. No idea where to go because I've always thought apple was shit tier overpriced memes but now I'm having second thoughts

Flat chests are far superior to fat cow whores.

Only pathetic losers with subhuman IQs are attracted to "LE THICC EBIN XDDDD" diseased sluts

>but now I'm having second thoughts
How?

ASUS UX30* lineup

t. paedophile

I just want a laptop with good build quality please help

thinkpad x220 if you want power
thinkpad x200 for complete no tracking.
both have great battery life and screens and are lighter than the macbook

Dell Latitude, HP Probook, Thinkpad, whatever brand you go with get the business line. You'll pay more but it'll last a lot longer and you'll get a longer warranty.

which anime is the right from?

Any shitbox should do for undergrad tier programming.

Oh gee I wonder who made this inciteful comment
>NO! The boyim can't be attracted to that! They should be attracted to beautiful women like Oprah and Adele

Don't do compsci unless it's theoretical compsci. Do computer engineering instead. I am not joking, all that web dev shit they put into "compsci" degrees are worth jackshit if you can program and have had a single network course.

You don't need anything amazing.

I'm personally waiting on some raven ridge laptops to come out.

Ryzen + vega APU = yes please

Both of them underclock extremely well, so I should be looking at some serious battery life AND power.

I'm doing computer information systems, gonna focus on networking

I'm 30 with no work experience in IT, so I'm worried I'll get passed over for being an oldfag

yeah the jews are at fault you like your women to look like boys with long hair

For CS you don't need anything powerful. Even an old laptop from 2000 would work. 64bit is a bonus though.

Not the OP, but they're both from Shirobako.

think pads are fucking shit.

Get either a latitude e7440 if you wanna throw it away in a few years, or a 2015 Macbook Pro if you wanna keep it for a decade or more.

Been thinking of getting myself the hp spectre

youll regret it

Hp products are complete dog shit. the only good thing about them is the over abundance of fucking replacement parts available because 80% of them break within 2 months of the fucking warranty going out.

Maybe an exception, but I've had my HP Envy for a while now, no problems. Even installed an SSD for le boot time meme.

HP pavilions are dog shit. The Probooks are decent laptops. I've only ever used one Spectre and it probably isn't worth the price but it wasn't a bad laptop. Better than the fucking Lenovo Yoga for sure.

>Laptop
>Good build quality
Pick one and one only.

Have a powerful desktop at home and a cheapo small laptop you can take to class to compile notes with and do simple programming . I use a Lenovo ideapad myself, pretty long battery life with a battery saving distro. Then again, I choose portability over all in a laptop.

The only HP laptop worth purchasing is an Envy. Avoid the rest of them at all costs.

now thats a jaw

Doesn't matter.

Apple's OS is better than Mirosoft's desu

Also it's Unix.

The probooks are NOT decent laptops.

I fix these things for a living and while the oler models were amazing, they have capitolized on the name and cheapened the product.

i wish i still had pictures of the HP Pavilion open right next to the HP probook and the insides were fucking identical.

The elitebooks are their only decent product line left and they arent even worth buying because the entire company is a scumbag company.

i5, 8Gb of Ram any SSD.

Well maybe not a KingDian SSD >_>

Running two of those bad boys, fight me

I need proof they arent complete dog shit

can you provide?

m8 I sell and work on HP business desktops and laptops for a living. Maybe it is the elitebooks I'm thinking of but whatever line it is they're good, solid laptops and they're not terribly expensive.

>scumbag defending a scumbag company

okay

Whatever makes you feel better m8

2014 Macbook Air, you're welcome.

Not overpriced compared to the competing laptops, battery life is supreme which matters the most, MacOS is dope, and it's the lightest laptop on the market.

>lightest laptop on the market

2017 Macbook says hi

i got a dell xps 13 developers edition with linux and it werks just fine.

The battery is super long lasting so my bag isn't heavy, it's nice and light and has a decent build.

I can confirm this.

I bought a $200 x201 when I started school in 2013. I installed an SSD and to this day it works great.

I'm in 3rd year CS. pretty much everyone has MBPs. profs, students, staff... all MBPs.

Just go for it. You can buy refurbished from Apple for a 15% discount or a used one.

Smartest people in the world use MBPs. If you use anything made by Google, FB, Twitter, Mozilla etc... it was made on MBPs.

if it's in your budget get a linux preinstalled laptop, from system76 or one of the other places that sells them.

I learn everything I need to know about CS from LinusTechTips, and I don't pay a dime in tuition.

*Lightest laptop that isn't a total cash grab
Older MBAs sell on ebay for like $500-600 and are pretty much as good as the newer ones, since none of them have good performance for anything but a portable computer. I got a 2013 one for $550 used, and I'd argue that it's better than the new macbook in every way except screen.

Seek mental help.

meh, any ninety eight dollar refurbished business grade laptop with a c2d or better will be plenty for cs

Not OP but another who's going to first year uni: if you do theoretical CS and get a degree that often webdevs get, wouldn't that put you in a somewhat worse spot?
Kinda curious because I'm not sure if it's better to take CS or math, as I did hear some universities treat CS like code monkey courses.

X230

You are in a shit program if they focus on web dev that much. I go to a low ranked school and we only have one mandatory web based course.

XPS 13 Dev Ed is pretty much the only laptop that seems to advert actual free software support and doesn't look like some low bin Quanta Computer abortion only low tier resellers sell.

Just get a used thinkpad, it will be the best hardware for your money

Unironically a thinkpad with linux.

Whatever top computer you get this tear will be outdated by the the next year. Buy a better one on your third year.

What's your budget?

I personally use an Asus f555-la (the one with an i3), upgraded to 12gb ram and an 850 Evo SSD. Handles everything just fine. I run mint cinnamon instead of Windows

Going into Computer Engineering
Have a X220 for 100~ dollars
With 160~ dollars worth of upgrades.

Very satisfied.

If you're a poorfag
>Used thinkpad
If you've got some money
>Used Macbook Air
If you're loaded
>New Macbook Air

What does great battery life means? Like in hours

Fucking hell, how many newfags are lurking around here now? OP, don't listen to anyone who recommends anything other than a business grade laptop.

Thinkpads, xps 13 and hp business laptops are fine. Most people here don't seem to have worked before.

Listen to these guys :

(elitebooks are decent)
(if you are filthy rich and love Linux)
(I would not buy a mac, but people do like it)

I recommend a second hand thinkpad, there seems to be a good deal available nearly all the time. Businesses gets rid of them and people don't know what they are missing. They can often be upgraded a lot.

You're correct my freind.
Only someone with Oedipus complex likes big boobs.

>Better than the fucking Lenovo Yoga for sure.

Can you please explain, each of their product lines in Yoga product line seems cheaper than their competitors with slightly lower specs for their price? I would rather spend less for a product, as 2 in 1's are not really intended for high performance and long battery life unless you want really want to pay top dollar.

I've only ever used one Yoga and I'm not sure what the configuration was but it was slow as fuck and the fan was going constantly at full blast. The outputs are pretty limited too.

Stop talking about lenovo yogas in a thread where someone is asking for a good machine for CS.

Thinkpad X1 Carbon/X1 Yoga/X270/T470/T570/P51, DELL XPS 13/15 or Latitude.

You never seen an X1 Yoga right you fucking poorfag

>The outputs are pretty limited too.

Not best product line but what I do not understand is why people are buying them and expecting high performance with high portability. You can't get both with a touch screen laptop, unless you want to pay more and more and more. Then I would rather lose the touch screen, get a better laptop with a better price.

>Stop talking about lenovo yogas in a thread where someone is asking for a good machine for CS.

When I posted (), it mentioned once and I wanted clarification. Settle the fuck down.

Macbook or Thinkpad, OP.
Thinkpads are great for their price, hardware, and great linux compatibility
Macbooks have great build quality, a nice UNIX operating system & look great.
As a second year CS student, I personally use a 13" 2015 rMBP - no complaints.

Im typing on the 2015 macbook
its nice
keyboard takes a while to get used to but after a while its nice
the touchpad is fucking amazing. no physical click makes it much easier to click and drag with accuracy. gestures are nice too.
honestly its worth the couple extra bucks just for the good software and build quality imo
it doesn't really hang with anything that i do (most IDEs run just fine [ij IDEA], a little slower than on a desktop)

if you need to do resource heavy operations then consider maybe a thinkpad with higher specs and booting gnu/loonix

depends on if you will need something that needs to have a gpu to do stuff like rendering then id reccomend a newer thinkpad like the w540 EOL with a quadro but if its just web based shit that doesnt require a lot id reccomend a lenovo thinkpad x230 or the x230t model they are pretty good with a 3rd gen ivy bridge processor and the x230 series is pretty small and mobile

pic related it is a w540

i actually had a second hand, the reson i bought the xps 13 was because the battery was down to 4 cells and lasted only 3 hours at school and I didn't want to invest money into it when it was already chipping away on the outside.
They have amazing keyboards and it is an affordable option just be prepared to buy an SSD card etc.

Goth Loli-sama

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, light, modest laptop or tablet?
Just need to take notes, view media, edit documents, do presentations, little bit of programming, web browsing, play simple games, nothing heavy.
All OSes are equally suited to the task.

I want to lick her feet

xps's are pretty comfy desu

XPS 15

The XPS 13 is actually the size of a 12 inch laptop and the XPS 15 is actually about a 14 inch laptop. 14 inch is literally the perfect size.

wait for ryzen apu

chromebook with crouton if you really want new and cheap
used x-series thinkpads really aren't that heavy either

I bought the 4k mAh - if I am not mistaken (its not the smallest one, but one of the smallest) - battery because of weight reasons and it lasts me for about 4 hours, which is perfectly fine.

anyone recommend a lap top, I want
>good battery
>1080p
>not ugly as sin (not mandatory)
>around 600-900$
>also a gpu that can handle Team fortress 2 at the very least

T450p

It's discontinued

E470 anyone?

I second this.

I have a dell chromebook 13. It has an incredibly solid build. You'll want to buy a decent-sized microSD for it though if you want to store anything.

you dont need one for computer science
no shit

watch out with the screen hinges
i own a k555ub (mine and yours are based from x555) and the fucking mounting points for the hinges blew the fuck up, they were "too tight"
beside that, pretty decent laptop

rpi3 model B with raspbian would be enough to learn to program Java, C++, python and shell script, navigate the web and read pdfs and spreadsheets?
I was thinking about getting a x220 but I can't afford it cuz unfortunately I'm not from US of A