Is Python a meme?

Is Python a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

speedshop.co/2017/07/11/is-ruby-too-slow-for-web-scale.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nah

Nope, it's a programming language. Next!

Perhaps Sup Forums should make an app called "IsThisAMeme?". Seems like there's a need for such thing.

It's an overrated, garbage language designed for noobs that never want to learn a real fucking language, because, like BASIC, it mentally mutilates potential programmers beyond all hope of regeneration.

enjoy sophomore year

Well, it's a scripting language for making things like bash scripts or BAT files in DOS.

This^

>BASIC
tip harder faggot

1. There is literally nothing wrong with teaching the basics of programming through an easier language like Python.

2. You can be a good programmer and still like Python.

3. Who cares? Learn to be language agnostic and I promise you will sleep better at night.

It's not that it's "easier", it's that its design runs contrary to every single common sense language design used by every other decent programming language. Learning python actively destroys the ability to learn another, better language.

no, sadly.

it's basically neo-perl at this point without the whole "muh text parsing" unix beard memes attached to it.

give one (1) example where this is the case

I'll make the logo

Can't confirm. I learned python first and easily transitioned to c++, c, d, and a host of other languages.

Pretty much everything about how it manipulates data, how objects work, how program flow happens, the incredibly stupid and juvenile line terminator being an endline, the incredibly stupid and juvenile tab = code block garbage (yes, you should have code blocks tabbed anyway, but making it the actual design of the language is beyond idiotic), and, well, pretty much the entirity of the design of python, a backwards, poorly thought out pile of garbage created only for non-programmers to hack out poorly designed code.

pretty much this.

only brainlets would struggle with learning something other than babby's first procedural language with mediocre OO.

how is it beyond idiotic?

fucking stupidest complaint about the fucking language.

wow so instead of declaring lexical blocks you have to use whitespace instead

big fucking deal.

When I was in school I learned C++ first then transferred to a school that taught Python first. After that I was in Java centered classes with people who only knew Python and they had a tough time for a minute, but they still learned Java. Most classes main were Java and C/C++ based from then on out. They all did fine, minus your typical floaters.

I just don't see this as an issue.

And I bet you are horrible at all these languages.

Love how Sup Forums is full of "I'm an expert on all these languages" and is a bunch of college (and some high school underage fucks) kids probably still struggling to learn his first fucking language.

Been coding professionally for 20 years, kids.

Your opinions are worthless.

Python is easier to learn, easier to read, easier to write, while still being just as powerful as all other languages for most purposes. If you don't realize this you must not understand much about programming.

Gaming and custom high performance interactive applications are pretty much the only thing Python is not good at.

Because whitespace isn't code. A single space is what you use to separate entities of code, but beyond that, whitespace has nothing to do with anything, leaving you free to format things any way you feel is necessary for your code. Yes, ideally you do it pretty uniformally, but in the end, it doesn't, and SHOULD NOT, matter.

Integrating fucking whitespace into the fucking flow and structure of the code is childish and moronic. It places python firmly into the realm of a toy language used by non-programmers and children.

>still only coding after 20 years
lashing out due to lack of relevance it seems

Anyone formats their code with hierarchial tabs anyway so it violates DRY rule. Simple as that. Anyone using curly braces is doing it wrong.

and I'm sure you're a shining beacon of the industry.

get real faggot, you're on Sup Forums and no one is expert but it doesn't really take more than 6 or so months and a decent project to understand most of the concepts of any language.

sure maybe you're not some pro that knows why `some weird code` does x but people learn that as they go.

well apparently python's defined grammars say whitespace is code, so shove your stupid opinions up your ass. it's not all that different in the grand scheme of things and you even said that people have to indent their shit anyhow so what the fuck is your problem dipshit.

you're like those retards who bitch about muh semicolons in javascript when the ASI rules don't magically stop happening whether you put them in or not.

fuck off, it's the fucking grammar of the fucking language.

>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Python got me into learning other programming languages and I'm not worse for wear. Assuming you hold a job down you're the kind of person everyone talks shit on at work by the way.

I teached myself C# when I was 13 and continued coding on it for a couple of years, then I learned basic, C++, PHP, java, javascript before stumbling upon python; i found it enjoyable and clean, kinda slow and the way variables and values are referenced isn't as good or safe as C++ imo. But i like it and its definitely a language i can use if i wish to make a simple hacky website or test some new code without investing time on resource management, memory allocation or compilation time.

Recently I had a little taste of haskell but I'm getting a rust itch I need to scratch off before this summer break.

Be flexible user and keep learning, don't be like my stuck up professors that still think javascript only work on the frontend and SQL databases are the way to go in all cases.

that was really obvious bait, you shouldn't have given him a (you)

Using whitespace for readability isn't the same as using whitespace to mark the beginning and ending of code blocks.

Sure whatever helps you sleep at night.

no it's not, now don't be a faggot like I was 10 years ago and start learning it

>I teached myself...
Teach yourself how to do fucking english first.

Are you looking to actually program something, or do you just need to crunch data and don't know how to program in something else?
If the latter, go nuts.
If the former, choose something better.

>still think javascript only work on the frontend and SQL databases are the way to go in all cases
It does and it is.
Backend javascript is a cancer it was never intended to ever go near and NoSQL solutions are usually slower than tar

The only meme is listening to Sup Forums.

Python gets the job done in some cases with varying degrees of efficiency. If its your only language, use it. If it's not, figure out which one would suit your purpose the best.

Python, like any programming language is a tool. Any competent programmer knows multiple languages and can pick the best one for any given job.

>Python gets the job done in some cases

Correct.

Ain't my native language nigger, how many languages can you speak and write fluently and without mistakes?
There are cases when modeling in a rdb manner will make it harder to scale specially when dealing with the concept of nested objects.
Javascript on backend surpases most popular languages when it comes to speed but bad js code can be a hell to maintain.

Python's poor syntax is more than made up for by all the excellent libraries and tools written in it. It's also a good starting language.

Even as a Ruby and Lisp fan, I have to admit Python is a must-know.

Python can be easily sped up by rewriting intensive loops in C, or adding CUDA, etc.

> javascript is a cancer
Fixed.

> I actually can't indent properly.

Unless you deal with Google-levels of traffic, backend speed is a really bad reason to choose a technology.

see speedshop.co/2017/07/11/is-ruby-too-slow-for-web-scale.html