Is Tor insecure?

Is Tor insecure?

Other urls found in this thread:

tails.boum.org/doc/about/warning/index.en.html
youtube.com/watch?v=jBipMHCUXjo
torproject.org/about/overview.html.en
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZtihxGGDsVYJ:https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en
turkeyblocks.org/2016/12/18/tor-blocked-in-turkey-vpn-ban/
google.at/amp/s/nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/06/25/can-you-trust-tors-exit-nodes/amp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are you insecure OP? It's okay we're here to help.

Tor itself is secure but e.g. in your example law enforcement took stealth control of the website and I never used it but I assume people entered their home address in order to have things delivered so here the fault was that of the user and not Tor. I think pretty much all exploits that were used to deanonymize people on Tor relied on JavaScript so blocking that shit is a good idea if you want to preserve your anonymity. If you want to go even further you have options like the sandboxed TBB (Linux only), Whonix+Qubes and one or more VPNs.

>pretty much all exploits that were used to deanonymize people on Tor relied on JavaScript so blocking that shit is a good idea
Either that or bad opsec. No JS stops the vast majority of browser exploits cold.

>exploits
Sure there are securty exploits,but when the Government owns 80% of all exit nodes( the ones that see the end node data,such as your orginal ip),thatrs the larger of the problems

There's a lot of OPSEC you need to take into consideration, one thing tor can't defend against is global adversaries that can see all network traffic, identify tor, and trace the network traffic back to you.
Also U.S. government has quite a few exit nodes.

At the very minimum read through this.
tails.boum.org/doc/about/warning/index.en.html

>Government owns 80% of all exit node
[citation needed]

Also exit nodes don't know your clearnet IP, or even which entry node you used. They can still sniff traffic that flows through them, which is why anything you browse through them should be using TLS.

Check snowdens leak

Exit nodes do indeed see your original data but you're wrong about the IP part. Only the entry node will know your IP but unlike the exit node it doesn't know anything about the data since it's encrypted regardless of if the data itself is in plaintext.

Where can I order adderal from anons?

Whonix is so fucking easy to setup and use I'm surprised it's not essentially required when people talk about tor.

Using tor on its own is like using the latest version of utorrent with encryption disabled and grabbing the most popular torrents on the Pirate Bay.

>Whonix is under active development and is the only operating system designed to be run inside a VM and paired with Tor.

Doesn't tails make way more sense?
Tails even warns you when you are running it in a VM that you are at the mercy of your host OS.

>exit nodes see the end node data,such as your orginal ip

These are the people I argue with. rmmt

Compile with from source.

Literally every big Tor bust, be it druggies or pedos, has been due to an opsec failure, including this one.

Best looking seized page I have seen so far

They must have hired web designers to make the "ur website has been daken down" page.

Doesn't really matter if you use VMs.

Just buy a cheap thinkpad + raspberry pi and use those as the whonix workstation + gateway.

Oh I think you know

Legit

Just go to your doctor.

I think you overestimate the technical knowledge of the average person. I mean... TBB still comes with JavaScript enabled by default...

With Whonix you basically tunnel ALL traffic from another virtual machine through the Tor network. You could use Tails as the other guest operating system. Tails is of course right about your host operating system still being relevant so optimally you should be using a distribution of GNU/Linux as the host operating system on a device that you don't use for anything else. Tinfoil hat level would be to use an old Thinkpad (before the so called hardware backdoors) with support for Libreboot and use Parabola or Trisquel (you could use any distro with the linux-libre kernel and no non-free packages), and let's not forget to use someone else's WiFi.

youtube.com/watch?v=jBipMHCUXjo

NOOOOOOOOO

I'm European. We don't overdiagnose ADHD and autism, like the US.

i don't know why it is piss slow in the age of unlimited bandwidth. is it completely p2p?

Are you running relays or a tor exit node?
If not, you're one of the reasons it's slow.

Just read how it works
torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

really makes you think.

They're already on to you.
Find another public wifi, that one can't be trusted anymore.

that's my home wifi in a country where Sup Forums is banned and i have to use a dns. (opendna)

Google cache work for you?

webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZtihxGGDsVYJ:https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

nope.

country?

Sounds like you are in a country that could benefit from tor, you might even want to use a VPN through a friend with more accessible internet.
Wouldn't be surprised if they blocked tor access for you.

Democratic Dictatorship of Turkey.
My ISP probably blacklisted that url.

turkeyblocks.org/2016/12/18/tor-blocked-in-turkey-vpn-ban/

Wow, they are trying to ban vpn services
Can't even easily do the VPN -> tor method

Your best bet is a private vpn that a friend self hosts for you

>friend
>implying
I know how to roll my own OpenVPN through a VPS though.

fpbp

Most Tor busts are done by old school police work, for the most part it's very hard to trace what people are doing on Tor Servers.

They don't have an evil eye probing Tor like some of the more paranoid think so.

>using tor for prolonged illicit activity on a centralized site
What do these retards expect is going to happen?

Fuck off pedo
Tor is enough safe for ordinary people. You bought some weeds from deepweb? It's okay. You bought some kidnapped loli for sexual purpose? You're NOT okay.

kek

>Lietuvos Policija

How the fuck are they relevant on this ?

they provided cheap prostitutes to the dutch cops so they could vent off some stress during the investigation

European here. I can get Concerta and something similar easy.

it's safe for pedos too. they just need better opsec

I'm going to guess those old think pads are being bought up by alphabets and loaded with malware that is going to be aimed at catching you.

Anyway. Is it illegal to visit alphabay or have an account on there in the US?

All addresses (and messages in general) should be PGP encrypted. Unless LE took control of the vendors accounts and used their own public keys, they wouldn't be able to find anybodies addresses from the seize.

tfw american and faking ADHD for adderal

and how exactly will they manage to obtain every thinkpad around the world?

THe US spent billions of dollars to build networks less sophisticated. Use your brain. If there were anonymity that would be nice but you are implying that there is going to be a tax free, independently operating hub, that (((they))) don't have their hand in is just wishful thinking in this case.

Believe me unless you are very fucking slick you should avoid using TOR for illicit shit.

No doubt the majority of folks will get away free considering the hypothetical amount of work involved but.... Some won't.

>using preinstalled os
are you some kind of retard? what if i get a FREE AS IN FREEDOM from minifree?

/thread

Not using pre installed OS....

There are hardware exploits. I heard from Eli the computer guy that the NSA intercepted/rerouted a delivery of Cisco routers and they then installed some software or hardware exploit(probably both).

Okie dokie NSA

Lol which isp are you using? TTnet doesn't do that afaik but I haven't used tor in a while, and I always use a premium vpn anyways.

That's over a terabyte of documents...

No, he means you get a friend to allow you to VPN to his VPS and grab his IP instead. Hosting your own VPS isn't going to do any good. If they're shutting down connections to known VPN services like NordVPN from your country, you're SOL.

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it here too. You can think of a VPN as a private, encrypted network cable. If you don't have somewhere to connect it the other end to or connect to your own server, it defeats the purpose in your case.

he obviously doesn't host his own vps, learn to read. your dumb

it was made by the us navy, so of course it isnt secure.

If you're a dumbass with no common sense Yes. If you have common sense you'll be fine

Would not be surprised if those 2 sites were hosted in lithuania, since if i heard right silkroad v2 was hosted in it due to some specific features.

Or maybe your general marozas selling h in the corner found out how to access the marketplace with the help of a youtube tutorial.

It's also possible that a couple of botnet selling guys were lithuanian.

shittynet of course. why even ask
*thinking face*
all my friends are apple normies.

Tor is controlled by the FBI

FBI is controlled by the Tor

the Tor is controlled by the nation of islam

Islam is a tool for Stallman

install Gentoo

The nation of Islam is controlled by the jews

Snowden never said that.

the jews are controlled by the reptilians

internal nodes are secure by design

external nodes arent by design

>people who havent used it the thread

only use onion linkes and dont reach out to the clear web

google.at/amp/s/nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/06/25/can-you-trust-tors-exit-nodes/amp/

Dan Egerstad proved then that exit nodes were a fine place to spy on people and his research convinced him in 2007, long before Snowden, that governments were funding expensive, high bandwidth exit nodes for exactly that purpose.

yeah, totally secure.

onion routing is legit and safe in theory but the network and deplopyment itself is flawed since law enforcement can and own most of the exit nodes

chances are pretty good that they will own both the entry and the exit nodes
its not super difficult to correlate entry and exit activity to a ip if you own both, just look for similarities and match them by probability

Tor is secure. But there are attack vectors you have to consider. Because all data you transfer is still being watched.

If you disable scripts, dont login to accounts tied to your person and dont reveal any info then its secure.

They would need the password to unencrypt the message, so nobody is at risk.

How user?