Raspberry pi general - /rpg/

Has anyone of you fuckers ever installed gentoo on pic related?
Thinking about doing that just to look what performance I'd get out of a raspi1

Also raspberry pi general.
What are you working on?
What is yours doing?
What do you plan to do?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi/Quick_Install_Guide#Preparing_the_SD_card
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi
sta.li/
nummist.com/opencv/Howse_ISMAR_20140909.pdf
youtu.be/irlXnRu02iY
youtube.com/watch?v=ux9lXBexw0o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck off

>make actual technology related thread
>no gaymen or consumer bullshit
>fuck off
Sup Forums - Technology :^)

Actually trying it out now. Just doing this guide:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi/Quick_Install_Guide#Preparing_the_SD_card

My 3 orange pi zeroes just arrived.
One of them is already set up as a pi-hole, works fine.
Another one is gonna be a wildlife cam, and the last one probably a webradio.
I have an odroid C2 running syncthing, mpd and deluged.
An rpi2 is being used as a thin client for gaming on my television.
Still have an rpi1 without any goal, might go for a robot thingy probably.

Also, if you still need inspo:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi

Do something better with your free time please.
My pi has not yet arrived, no idea yet wat it'll do except for internet radio and white noise playback.

mfw not Single Board Computer General

On topic, i have some RPi 2(around 4-5) on my campus club room, and 1 RPi 3, seeing no one really uses them can someone give me idea what to use them for? i thought about parallel computing with them once but never really find out how (looked up some resources but didn't really understand them).

>seeing no one really uses them can someone give me idea what to use them for?
I use my raspi 2 as an openvpn server and for my personal blog. Works pretty great, sinice only my facebook frens read muh blog kek.
But they can be used for lots of shit:
>robotics
>(((home))) automation
>machine learning
>whatever

just do something with it. It doesnt even matter what you do desu

>google chrome
kys

it's not really mine though so i don't think i can just take them for personal use(i haven't tried to ask), but i do have some interest in home automaton. any collection of good resources for pi about making pi parallel? i don't understand how to share resources between each pi (if it can be done anyway)

>any collection of good resources for pi about making pi parallel?
nope, dunno.
I guess you dont have to search explicitly for pi shit though. Just search for parallel computing in general

shove it up your ass, op

this tbqh senpai :DDDDDD

>Pi marketed as cheap
>every component for it overpriced as fuck
no thanks

except that they are not and everything is cheap as fuck.
Even if you buy their marketing shit products you end up at about ~$75 max. Thats cheap as fuck, nigger

>RPG
RPi strikes
>2dmg
RPi strikes
>2dmg
Enemy casts "figure it out"
>3 hour googledown

I use one with Debian as a home server.

>hurr durr wut r research and engineering costz
>forty dolan? dats exbensve!
Fuck yourself, retard. They're some of the best quality SBCs you can get and they're reasonably priced.

seriously, do yourself a favor and use void instead of gentoo. It works with musl out of the box, runit is way faster than open-rc and cross compiling packages works like a charm with xbps-src

Literally an hour ago I bought a RasPi 3 Model B + nice case for $40 off a guy who never used it.

I plan on using it as a torrenting device. I have a paid VPN and plan on setting it up so it's always on so I can download all those slow-as-fuck torrents off public trackers.

One thing I ordered few minutes ago are copper heatsinks.

I have a powered USB hub (5V 2A) and hope to power it that way. Not sure if I need 5V 2.5A charger tho... read in some specs it needs that. Haven't set up anything so far.

Anything else I should buy for it?

Also, Arch of Rasbian?

the raspberry pi customer experience

>buy rpi
>tinker with it for 3 hours
>put in drawer and let it gather dust for a year

will look into it, thanks!

Your post somehow reminded me that there is a suckless distro too. Maybe I try both
sta.li/

you're a brainlet.

how did it go? did you get it up and running?

sure is summer in here

I want to put a pi in one of these toy laptops to make it a "real" laptop. How should I go about this?

Mine:
Ordriod XU3 - home firewall
Ordroid XU3 - Streaming Media Client

RPi 3b - web domain firewall
RPi 3b - web domain IDS/IPS
RPi 2b - web domain DNS
RPi 2b - web domain Email

you should set up the wildlife cam to recognize wildlife:
>nummist.com/opencv/Howse_ISMAR_20140909.pdf

youtu.be/irlXnRu02iY

it's a good start but that doesn't answer his question, how would you wire up the keyboard/remove whatever's inside it first?

I'm going to Goodwill tonight to pick up a toy laptop. Will post the inside after I get it open.

I have it running pi-hole to block ads on every device on my lan without worrying about blocking them separately.

anyone know if chinkshit microSD cards work with RasPi 3 model B?

I need one and want to go cheap.

You can buy a complete working dell with a c2d, or phenom II for about $50. Specialized breakouts sell for less then $20, and at the end of the day you have a complete system that's capable of more then what you can do with a pi.

what do i do with this chinkshit? there is no description of anything, no sheets of code or projects, just chinkshit in a box

> (OP)
>the raspberry pi customer experience
>>buy rpi
>>tinker with it for 3 hours
>>put in drawer and let it gather dust for a year
Speak for yourself moron

>install retropie on 64gb SD card
>Load it with a shit ton of emulators
>Buy two chink snes controllers
>Works like a charm

Honestly the best $75 I've spent.

Lol get an odroid instead. More power with the same power consumption specs. Also, 5V/2A is what's required. Raspbian sucks dick.

>odroid
shit support and none of the cool shit I want works. RasPi is the best. I've tried few other ones including Banana and Orange Pis.

>>Buy two chink snes controllers
got a link to them?

Pretty much any USB snes replica controller will work, look on newegg or eBay for the best prices.

cool.
where do you get games for retropie? and also, is MAME supported?

I'm not using raspi for gaming but would like to give it a try one of these days...

Basically any site that allows you to download roms let's you put them into retropie. Use a thumbdrive to get them on with the scraper tool built in.

You can also download premade builds like nacho pi that have thousands of ros preinstalled.

Pretty sure MAME is supported by retropie.

find the one with great 4K rand read, 4K rand write speed, or it will be slow when you set up an OS on

is it that small?
does it make literally zero noise?
does it consume the same amount of power?

if any answer is a no then you can fuck right off

thanks user

>4K rand read, 4K rand write speed
Thanks user... is that like a CLASS 4/6/10 designation?

Not that user, but you should go for class 10, that's the recommended anyway.

I have not tried any other than class 10, but you'll supposedly find some really shitty speeds if you use a lower class, specially a class 1 like your picture showed

Pinebook

Got it. THANK YOU!

Many threads ago, someone posted a screenshot of their web browser and it showed how you could control RasPi from Firefox. They also showed something like a status panel which included even the torrents and processes. That seemed like a great way to run it headless.

Anyone know how to set this up? What's that shit called so I can search for it...

>
>>>Buy two chink snes controllers
>got a link to them?

Search for 8bitdo, those are high quality and are fucking good, unless you're an American, then they may be small for you because you're all fat

he probably made his pi a web server, you can even control gpio with it

I just use mine to serve crud apps and as a NAS. I'd like to use it with some kind of hardware in the future (even if it's just a basic camera), but I haven't got any uses for that currently.

Make a tor relay.

yep

I have these copper heatsinks with a plastic sticker on the bottom, do they really work on the pi? I didn't test the temps with and without obviously. I'm thinking the sticker nullifies heat transfer quite a bit.

Chrischan, is that you? It would look fab girl, like your over sized sunglasses.

How did you do it?
I also want a retogame machine but I'm too much of a brainlet to even know where to start
Also, how much can it handle?
Can it run N64 and PS1? How about PSP?

>I have these copper heatsinks with a plastic sticker on the bottom,
where did you buy them from? I just ordered mine from ebay for $1.50. I diubt these are actually copper. I'm guessing they're just aluminum with copper plating.

could you take a knife and scratch the side of one and see if they're really copper? I'm curious.

>do they really work on the pi? I didn't test the temps with and without obviously. I'm thinking the sticker nullifies heat transfer quite a bit.
yes they work. this is a thermal adhesive tape. Intel/AMD use the same shit for chipsets. It works okay.

anyone tried to build a MintyPi?

youtube.com/watch?v=ux9lXBexw0o

you can 3D print almost all the plastic parts or source your components off ebay or just buy a kit. plus an Altoids tin.

I'm thinking about building this in a few weeks time as a summer project. looks fucking great...

I got them so long ago, as a matter of fact used them on a wrt54g router with dd-wrt the package had several so I figured why not. I'm assuming copper will have some weight to it, aluminum would be light, no need to scratch them.
Look up retropie, simple as fuck to do and it works great, I'm reliving my childhood playing old commodore 64 games and old arcade roms with mame on a pi3 and retropie. DO NOT get any old ching chong controllers, get the SNES clone type gamepad by Buffalo, the iBuffalo Classic USB Gamepad for PC BSGP801GY, they are the best for this type of setup, trust me. Some people swear by the PS4 DualShock 4 Controller for Retropie when it comes newer emulated games.

those are probably the wrong size for raspi.
get a set specifically for raspi.