/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
OnePlus have admitted the 911 Emergency Call Glitch and is rolling out fix
bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40656034

Pixel is now discontinued at Rogers and Fido
mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/20/pixel-pixel-xl-reach-end-life-status-fido-rogers/

Thinner Moto Z2 Force loses over 20% battery capacity; U.S. version has worst specs
venturebeat.com/2017/07/20/thinner-moto-z2-force-loses-over-20-battery-capacity-u-s-version-has-worst-specs/

Zeiss + HMD/Nokia promised new cameras - Zeiss patented a rotating lens system for advanced optical zoom in phones
twitter.com/rquandt/status/888038945271009281

Nokia 6 Review: Once More For Old Time's Sake
youtu.be/Yv9i0GBvD8M

Samsung Galaxy J7 (2017) review
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j7_2017-review-1632.php

LG Q8 unveiled: a 5.2" version of the V20
gsmarena.com/lg_q8_unveiled_a_52_version_of_the_v20-news-26311.php

Xiaomi Mi Max 2 Review
phonearena.com/reviews/Xiaomi-Mi-Max-2-Review_id4378

Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) Review
phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-J5-2017-Review_id4376

old

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-announces-q8/
wikihow.com/Change-the-Screen-Resolution-on-Your-Android
m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8466&idPhone2=8238
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for u11, #1 flagship

€599 is what they said it will be with no word on whether it will be released outside of Europe

nokia 7 when?

Bought my OnePlus5 two weeks ago. Had an iPhone 6 plus before.

So far I am really impressed how stable Android has gotten over the years (last Android device was a LG Nexus 5)

I have the version with 128gb and 8gb ram and everything is buttery smooth. The build quality is on par with the iPhone and the battery life exceeds the 6 plus.

The camera takes great pictures in good lighting, in low light situations the camera lacks OIS and is not as good as the one in an iPhone 7.

But the best feature for me is the overall design, it fits my hands pretty good and I love the litte details like the notification slider, the wood cases and some software goodies in oxygen OS.

8/10 would buy again.

Thanks for taking the time to write this out.
Makes me feel better about my 8gb OP5 purchase just now.

That price would be really stupid. Nobody is going to pay that much for a phone with last year's specs. Might as well just import a V30 for half the price.

Is the XZ premium the best flagship today?

ONEPLUS DID NOTHING WRONG

>Currently, the Q8 has only beenannounced in Italyand is scheduled to release sometime before the end of July. At an asking price of 600 euros (about $698), it is still quite expensive considering the age of the V20's hardware, which is almost a year out of date at this point.
digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-announces-q8/

I am choosing between the OnePlus5 and LG G6 since they cost almost the same in Sweden (S8 is 200 dollar more expensive)

Why should I choose OnePlus5 over the G6? Should I pay 200 more for the S8? Is water/dust protection worth it?

>futuristic
>4G

depends, if you have a fairly active lifestyle i would consider the 200 extra for the water protection. Also the screen on the S8 looks amazing, the OP5 can’t really compete with that, but I’m not really a fan of the design..

I didn’t take the G6 into consideration, but reviews indicate that it’s a pretty solid phone.

I'm getting a Leeco S3. Should I custom rom it? Or just use stock? I know how to custom rom it. Found instructions and it looks easy enough. But what do I get from custom rom? What do I give up from the stock?

>what do I give up from the stock?
An annoying, bloated, obtrusive interface geared towards a dead service

I bought the 6GB version and agree with pretty much everything.
I don't even care about camera that much so it's a win situation for me.

The reddit butthurt over Oneplus is also glorious. /ourcompany/

>But what do I get from custom rom?
Being on the latest version of Android, not having to use some bloated chink ROM

Why are they butthurt?
Heard something about not updating the OPX. Or is it because its a litte bit pricier than the 3T?
I don’t understand how you can hate on a company that’s trying to earn money on a good product.

Good inexpensive 6in phone for USA ATT?

Xperia XA1 Ultra

it's between that and the u11

The Axon 7 is only $330 on Newegg
Do I get it over the LG V20?

Yes, for the last fucking time Zarias

that faggot already bought the phone and spammed it

I'm waiting for a Nokia flagship with a mindfuck camera, then wait 6 months for it to hit the shelves and one more year for it to become affordable. t. poorfag

lost hope for nokia when I bought a Lumia, worst piece of shit I ever owned.
And it wasn’t even because of WP7, the battery life and build quality was a fucking joke.

1020 was great. Too bad mine just died inside (fails to boot due chip, unrepairable)

buy the g6, much better customer support and mil-spec

I am afraid of the camera glass breaking after some reading on XDA. Otherwise, G6 seems like a really good phone.

Thinking of getting a pixel next week lads, get 30% off contracts so it'll only cost £25 a month.

Was thinking about waiting for the pixel 2 incase the price goes down on the old model and but judging by the news in the OP it's just gonna get discontinued.

>Want to try android.
>Every phone is as expensive as iPhone.
>Laggy
>Overheating
>No Software updates.

MFW Im stuck with iPhone for all time!

>tfw the oleophobic coating wears off

¥10 has been deposited in your account.

>overheating
What phones were you looking at?

My axon 7 heats up pretty quickly just from some light weight multi tasking. Got any tips?

Should have used a screen protector

What are you doing in your multi-tasking?

I remember that I dropped mine once and it lost signal forever

It might be something like having clover and google play music open simultaneously and it'll heat up after about 10 minutes and start lagging pretty bad. I usually don't have a ton of apps open but it's little things like that annoy me.

How long i should wait for SD 450 phone ?

the only real innovation since the first iPhone is the inclusion of NFC chips. Everything else in smartphones has just been incremental improvements on preestablished technologies.

Aside from NFC what else are we carrying in or pockets that we weren't in 2007?

Hey lads. Looking for some advice/ suggestions/ education.

A little about me:
>American
>Verizon customer
>Currently have a Nokia Lumia 928 with upgrade available for quite some months

I've not actually had an android phone yet, but have been around them a bit I suppose. I'm not really displeased with my windows phone, but I definitely want something better. Much better. Especially now.

I've had it for years, and the time has come.

I run GNU/Linux on my main computer, and would like something decent for my phone now. I feel like the Verizon selection is, well, extremely limited. This doesn't really satisfy me because I feel like I have to choose from 5 phones.

Been eyeballing the V20 for a week, seems pretty good for me so far. I care a lot about audio quality and camera quality. I'm not an audiophile, but I am a photographer. I don't need a phone camera to replace my DSLR, but I would like a really nice one either way. Audio isn't a huge issue for me on a phone because I'd rather worry about the luxury on my main machine with my expensive headphones and quality files. But it's definitely a plus.

I've put a lot of thought into getting a custom rom, and would also like more opinions about the pros/cons of doing this, vs. stock. It's been one of the limiting factors, because I want to look at which phones they provide also have proper support for some decent/ standard roms.

All and all what I want is a powerful phone, great graphics/ cameras, high customization, and user control (read. power user). Preferably a good looking device, with good complementary options (read. custom rom support, high quality full protection cases, replaceable battery, expandable storage, etc.)

So that's the rundown I guess. Looking for some guidance and feedback. Throw it at me. Ask me anything necessary to aid your assistance.

Cheers!

Are you charging the phone while doing this? Are you gaming at all?

Anyone who has a HTC U11, are the Alexa capabilities restricted (i.e Can't control spotify or other music services)?

Will the bigger a73 cores in the helio x30 give it any performance boost for emulation? Considering upgrading to Meizu Pro 7 but don't want to downgrade from SD820.

no and no. it even heats up like crazy when playing music in my car if its in direct sunlight, whereas my iphone se does not.

Weird, turn your screen down in both brightness and resolution and see what happens

Femanon here
There have been tons of developments
EDGE, 3G and now 4G LTE brought massive speed improvements to connections
Camera capabilities that outstrip most consumer-grade standalone cameras, obsoleting them
Computing power sufficient to replace a laptop for most purposes

You can't even compare the first gen iPhone to a modern version, they are massively different

Are you guys gonna buy the LG Q8???

See

i often have my screen on near lowest brightness ; -;
how can i turn down the resolution?

If you're on stock ROM use this guide, but figure out what dpi 1080p would be on your screen before changing it
wikihow.com/Change-the-Screen-Resolution-on-Your-Android
If your not on stock ROM, it should be in your settings, just change the dpi

Can't wait for the Samsung J7 to come out

So... the galaxy s5 is BETTER than the s5 neo?
Please explain.

Why don't you get a G6, a S8, a u11, or an iPhone?

Or you could get the LG Q8 with is like a V20 with waterproofing and a smaller screen.

Why wait for it? It's just a slightly weaker SD625, which you can already find in sub $200 phones

If you ignore replaceable battery which you pretty much won't find on any flagships anymore and the expandable storage Oneplus 5 is a good phone for you.

The camera isn't as good as S8 but it does the job and has a pro mode so you can shoot RAW and stuff, which looks a lot better than the normal photos.

Very customizable, rootable, fast and reliable. People complain about the design but I think it looks and feels good. Definitely a premium phone.

Might as well get the A5

...and costs €600 and is only available in Italy by the end of the month

Can someone give me a reason to switch back to Android from an iPhone?

Keep in mind with most smartphones the camera code (image processing etc.) is proprietary so it cannot be used in custom ROMs. That's why on most phones you'll see a downgrade in photo quality on a custom ROM, compared to the stock one.

Do they actually have and sell the Q8 yet?

Not a fan of the galaxy line, know several people with them. Never enjoyed using them.

iPhone? Yeah, how about no.

G6? Maybe, but why that over the V20/Q8 anyway?

U11? I'll look into it.

While I recognize this is a retarded question. What's the deal with availability and such? Am I not limited to what verizon itself claims to sell at it's own locations/ site, etc? If the phone isn't there, won't I have to buy it out fully outside of my verizon plans and make sure it meets radio standards for the network and all that shit?

Been eyeballing the Oneplus line as well, but have been retardedly held back by this assumption of vendor availability and simplicity as I previously stated. Though perhaps I'm not that big of a faggot, since I've only very recently started looking into new phones and exploring the option(s).

I'm sure they can give you many.

That sounds like a huge issue, and I'm sure there are many others like it. What's the rundown of what gets better, and what gets worse with a custom rom?

Also forgot to mention, all Verizon phones come with locked bootloaders which prevents rooting and installing custom ROMs, so if that's something you want to do you'll have to get an unlocked phone to use.

Just get one of the SD835 phones

xposed
FOSS apps

OP5 won't work on Verizon

Kinda, the Neo is stuck with the exynos chip whereas the OG S5 came with a snapdragon chip, both are on par in terms of performance but the exynos is slightly more efficient with battery (we're talking a 10-20 minutes SoT difference, not a big deal), the Neo also has a better front camera in case you're a dumb 13 year old girl who takes selfies every 5 minutes, Neo's design was also revamped because a lot of people complained about the S5's back feeling/looking like leather and having small holes on it, now it looks like a generic chinese phone instead of having some style.

Software wise the S5 has a fuckton more third party support than the S5 Neo for you to play around with custom roms, kernels, xposed and all that shit.

I do not think the S5 Neo is worth it, buy the S5 or buy another phone.

German/Austrianfag here.
My only previous android phone was a sony ericson xperia ray and most recently I was using the lumia 1020.
I was eyeballing the Lenovo P2 because of the amazing battery but I can't stand having potato-quality fotographs on my phone anymore.
Other than that I just want to be able to play hearthstone and want to try out tinder.
Now I'm looking at the moto z play and the G6 and can't decide. Budget is not a problem and I heard it's almost impossible to have moto phones repeared in this place but I also don't want to mindlessly spend money for a flagship.

I actually just upgraded to a g6 from my s7 and so far it's been fan fucking tastic. the battery is miles better, no touchjizz, bezelless meme, dual camera meme. great phone and it'll take a smack or three thanks to both the ip68 and shock proofing. feels great in the hand, has a nice weight to it.

I fully reccomend it, though the v30 is coming out in August, so if you like lg, wait for that one see if it'd be better

So what's the deal with there being roms for verizon devices specifically? Am I fucked if I buy directly from them? Is the stock android decent enough to negate custom roms anyway?

Figures.

Nobody seems to have an opinion on whether or not the V20 is a good choice.

lg g6 is a cheap flagship and well worth it. you said Austria? If you're the /out/ type [ebin]why wouldn't you be?[/ebin] the g6 is well worth the 600 usd for that sweet ip68/mil-std 810g

V20 and G6 are both good phones, one's got a gimmick, and the other has an IP68 rating

Moto Z Play won't have any better camera than the P2.

Is that a big deal anyway, when you intend to get a really hard case and screen protector?

What are the major/ notable differences between the V20 and the G6.

m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8466&idPhone2=8238

with the shock proofing and ip rating, all you really need is a nice bumper and glass stick on screen thingy and you'd be set desu. that's what I've got on mine

Verizon z2 play (with jbl speaker moto mod) 14.91/mo for 24 months

Verizon s7 edge 12.99/mo for 24 months

What buy?

Best phone for $350.00?

feel bad about not being able to contribute much so I will offer deep sea pictures

Thanks for the input.
Where would I be if I wouldn't trust the anonymous opinions of the internet.

I don't think I'm much of an /out/ guy as a german living in vienna.
But the city certainly is a nice place to live in.

Have any modular phones actually been released yet?

Axon 7
Moto Z Play
Huawei Honor 8
HTC 10

>now for can see your tiny white boi dick through your phone while jerking off to BLACKED.com
future is wonderful

Technically the Moto Z/Play, and the LG G5 we're modular designs

٩(๑´ᴗ`๑)۶

>So what's the deal with there being roms for verizon devices specifically?
Well for certain older devices people have found exploits that allow the bootloader to be unlocked.

>Am I fucked if I buy directly from them?
Most likely yes. Like I said, with Verizon your only hope for root/custom ROMs is that someone manages to find an exploit, which might take years or never happen. Meanwhile you're stuck with a locked bootloader.

>Is the stock android decent enough to negate custom roms anyway?
Depends. Most people probably would be satisfied enough with having stock, bloat-free android. Though with custom ROMs you can keep your phone up to date even when the manufacturer stops supporting the phone. So even with stock android it's still nice to have custom ROMs available.

Google Pixel for $15/mo

On that note, any word on how the LG G5 compares to the G6/ V20?

I'm sure it'd still be a massive upgrade over what I currently have, and it probably has more options for other shit such as roms/ rootable exploits, cases, etc.

What is the most innovative phone to date?
If it is the iphone 7 or the 8 we are very bad.

It's nowhere near as good as the V20/G6

It didn't look so bad against the G6 on gsmarena.........

What's so much worse about it? I mean shit it's only a year old, right? A year old smartphone can't possibly be that shitty, just because it doesn't have the absolute latest and greatest as of 5 minutes ago tech.

That's sad, is there any dates on things like the ara or blokphone or whatever its called, or others that are "actually" modular?

Also with the lg g5, is there a backup battery to keep the phone on if you change the slide-out one?

New doesnt mean good though, quite a few phones are rehashed versions of older phones with minimal improvements so while the phone is a few months old, its tech is more like a few years old.

I don't mean the one your talking about, i have no idea about it, just saying in general

complete shit. only advangate it has over the g6 is the removeable battery and the v20 has that too. there is zero reason for you to go with a g5

Expect the price, it often sells for $200 new

Pixel 2 fucking when? Work at a phone company so I get crazy money off shit, and my 6P is beyond fucked

[global spoilers when]A better waifu[/global spoilers when]

Between the two, go for the moto. Touchwizz is shit and the edge gimmick is not only useless, but it makes the phone more fragile as well

>screen is worse
>fixed battery offers better life
>camera is better
>ability to get Korean International version with Quad DAC

The others turned out to be vaporware(blokphone)/engineering projects(Ara)

Just so we're clear on this, it looks to me with minimal searching that the V20 from Verizon is 100% rootable and rom-worthy. Am I wrong? I keep seeing people do it and say it's possible.

Unless you're telling me 100% of these people buy the phone elsewhere, then merge it with the Verizon network or something, I don't really know. A bit confused about this whole process, looking for clarity and assurances specifically on the V20 model.

Fair.

>tfw I'm going to get a cheap phone plan with a Google Pixel 128GB and I'm going to change for the Google Pixel 2 XL 128GB when it going to get out
Just hope the upgrade device will not cost too much money.