/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sparkylinux.org/lumina-desktop/
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/clipboard#Disable_paste_on_middle_mouse_click
ix.io/xoM
ix.io/w6A
ix.io/yqr
ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
ix.io/yBv
github.com/teejee2008/timeshift
wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA#Add_the_PPA_source_url_to_your_sources.list
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for debian

First for:
musl c
busybox
llvm
clang

How do I not be daunted by installing and learning Linux?

Please don't post your homosexual twitter screencaps here. That's for normalfags and we are better than that.

what's a good distro for sadboys

Don't use your only computer to do the installation and learning upon.

You need to be curious, really.
I first installed it because I was curious, and a friend and I installed it on computers at home and would share some info too.

BTW this was back before smart phones, and we had to compile our kernel to get some devices to work.

SparkyLinux with Lumina
sparkylinux.org/lumina-desktop/

Asking this again.

Installing Linux through Architect and it brings up installation types. Stable, and Developer. No matter what I choose the installation says its complete only giving me the option to reboot, shutdown, and lunch a virtual environment which is just a terminal.

What could be the deal?

Virtual Machines, duh. Play around with Ubantoo for a while, maybe install it to a HD if you like it, then switch to a grown up distro like Debian or Arch.

Got a new SSD and reinstalling Debian. The firmware is non-free and have iwlwifi packaged in the bootable drive. This method always worked for me. But ever since the new SSD it's not working.

What's away around this?

Use a Debian image with non-free software: cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

you could also just download the package and dependencies online and copy them over, then dpkg -i

which de/wm

>the installation says it's complete
What's the problem?

Again, Lumina.

>Use a Debian image with non-free software: cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
I've tried this, there's no firmware packaged in here. It still asks.

>you could also just download the package and dependencies online and copy them over
This was my usual method of getting it to work, but this time it's failing.

Because nothing has been installed.

Answering you again.

You dont need an installer,the default vanilla arch install is max 10 commands.Read the installation wiki and dont rely on some shitty script,which is currently broken in your environment

so i am a fucking dumbass, i installed opensuse on a 2011 macbook, in the installer i choose to replace a devuan installation with the opensuse one, now i have the partition scheme on pic related, the macbook starts and shows the folder with the classic fucking question mark so i booted opensuse on the hdd from the live cd (using linuxefi (hd1,gpt3).... and all that jazz) which i am now using to post this.
how do i tell the macbook start from this installation ? if i'm not wrong the first 200mb partition was left from a fedora installation which configured everything but i'm not really sure and i'm afraid to delete it/format it w/e
>inb4 macbook
>inb4 opensuse
got it for free and devuan is fine and all but opensuse is like drugs, you just sit down and relax using that shit.

You need to change the grub config to boot the new os,or tell it to pause on boot and let you manually choose which one you want each time you boot

Is there really no way to disable the annoying middle click paste feature?
The following are not solutions, by the way:
>deal with it
>remap middle click to some other button and lose all middle click functionality

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/clipboard#Disable_paste_on_middle_mouse_click
Why do you hate nice things?

its baked in to x.If its that big of an issue you can go in and comment the line thats responsible for it and recompile

gnome with wayland doesn't have this problem :^)

Is KDE usable with Wayland yet?

Free Pasta:
>YouTube without pulseaudio
ix.io/xoM
>Better fonts thanks to bohoomil
ix.io/w6A
>Arch without systemd
ix.io/yqr

>BEFORE YOUR DISTRO QUESTION
Read:
>I want a "lightweight" distro (no bloat / base only)
>Not Arch or Gentoo

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
>Network installer

you'll have a working base system in minutes
>skip last step of installer (don't select additional pkg groups)
reboot and install what you want, for example:
apt install i3 lxdm lxappearance pcmanfm arc-theme breeze-icon-theme

>ib4 ubanto autistic screeching
/ ~1gb; ram usage less than 100mb

no afaik

That is some really bad pasta.

oh sorry I'm afraid I may be dumb. why lumina though?

is KDE on windows usable still

FUCK YOU BITCH I HATE YOU REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee

lol dude opensuse is shit

why

Yeah who saw Ivanka replacing Clinton or being even worse, during the elections.

Because it is just a whole bunch of shit thrown together in one post with no explanation. Pastas are supposed to be for people who /don't/ already know what they are talking about.

it says what it is above the link
it says what it does if you use the link

wtf is this shit? Why is arc-darker not darker? Why is it white? WTF??

because arc is shit
>grey font
>grey
thx for going blind

Tired of gnome, I installed xfce. After fucking around with it for a while, I still can't make it look like I want. Can anyone recommend a good theme, a good terminal, and a good file browser?

adwaita / arc / numix
st
pcmanfm

Switched from xfce to MATE, about just as light and a little more solid imo (no font issues, compositor issues)

This is what I did. Played around in vms until I realized I would just rather be using Linux on the metal alone. Didn't take long either. After about 2 weeks of trying several distros in vms I abandoned Windows for good.

Vertex maia. The menda-maia package in the AUR provides it or you can manually add it if you aren't using Manjaro or don't have access to the AUR.

use the livecd it comes with
watch youtube videos
DON'T use virtual machines - it doesn't work well iirc

It's pretty lean and functional.

read the arch wiki. It's pretty much the official linux documentation.

Linux vms work flawlessly even on modest hardware. Not heavier DEs though like plasma or gnome.

I installed Gentoo on my T420.

When I close the lid, it won't suspend to ram.

I enabled suspend in the kernel, and the s2ram actually works, so it's not like I don't have the suspend functionality on my install, but it won't suspend automatically when close the lid.

Has anyone had this issue?

How can I fix this?

not ubuntu afaik it was in some of their release notes or something
overall its pointless when you can just use the live session from a usb

Why say something like this? It's not going to happen, and you couldn't just stay silent and save face?

Where were you when you realized only bad guys use Linux, Sup Forums?

For me that is managed by stuff in /etc/acpi/events/lidbtn from the acpi-support package so you might want to check on what acpi events are being seen with acpi_listen.

A C P I D
C
P
I
D

What's a good indie underground distribution?

I also have this problem. Still looking it up

choose a base and build your own with one of the small handful of "system building" programs

Whats a reasonably secure operating system I can switch to? I currently use QubesOS on my desktop, but its not working well with my GT730. Should I swap out my graphics card, or switch to something like Debian?

/etc/acpid/rules

install ubuntu

GNU/Linux*

architect is broken, but on the bright side? manjaro picked up the project and it's called manjaro architect and it's what they now use for their net install image

Still looking into how to do it on my specific computer. As well as the brightness resetting only on the login screen.

I think this means I should give up

Don't do that. Satan loves you!

Literally just had a teacher that was really good at making stuff fun.

Just install a minimal install in a VM, like CentOS or Debian. Learn some basic shell scripting and how to use vim.

brotip/word of caution, if you don't know what you're doing then you might want to avoid a minimal install unless you use/have access to a wired connection as wireless often is not included in minimal iso

Ready to ditch pajeet 10, has shitnux fixed any of these issues yet?

How is that relevant to a VM?

no

oh shit, I didn't see that part of the post, sometimes I can be a dumbass

here let me spoon feed you
ix.io/yBv
seriously use ubuntu gnome or something dont waste your time

>pajeet 10
>shitnux

just get a mac and fuck off

Alpine Linux?

Finally finally finally got Mesa drivers and Nvidia shitware to work properly and vanilla WoW to run smoothly in Wine.

Anyone got any tips for automounting USBs for ranger?
Whats a good keyboard for touch typing?

>GNU/Linux
i can run Linux without GNU

I can run Linux without Linux. Get on my level, fag.

Is there better book organizer/reader than calibre which doesn't use qt? I don't really want to pull all qt dependencies with calibre.
>inb4 gnome-books
It sucks.

p.s. OP pic is racist.

Systemd's logind handles that without problems.

linux is deprecated

T-thanks canonical.

>logind
>handling lid states
mmmkay

>implying a bad clone deprecates the original
botnet brainlets

No luck but thanks for the help

I lied, sleep works but waking up results in the screen to stay turned off while the computer is running.

> Get ahold of old Acer Aspire One netbook
> Single core 1.6GHz Atom, 1GB RAM, 160GB mechanical hard disk
> Install Lubuntu

So uhhh, now what?

I guess my first task is going to be to figure out why my battery isn't showing up, I added a battery monitor to the panel but I'm getting "No battery found" when I hover.

Can you recommend me a wifi usb dongle that respects muh freedumbs aka doesn't require propietary drivers or firmware blobs

do most games that arent developed for linux at least have a port? feel like ill have to switch when windows 8 stops receiving support.

Must of the ones with atheros chipsets don't require firmware, IIRC.

# This file is part of systemd.
#
# systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# Entries in this file show the compile time defaults.
# You can change settings by editing this file.
# Defaults can be restored by simply deleting this file.
#
# See logind.conf(5) for details.

[Login]...
#HandlePowerKey=poweroff
#HandleSuspendKey=suspend
#HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
#HandleLidSwitch=poweroff
#HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
#PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#SuspendKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#HibernateKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=yes

lel

>increase of female, black & latino
wtf i hate trump now

Good luck compiling it.

oh yeah if you use systemd you should NOT use acpid

if it's a laptop you should have tlp

>latinx
oh fuck it's spreading!

whats the point of writing portable scripts?

I've just realised I've been using void for nearly a year and today is the first time something has "broken' from an update. It was just the taskbar volume controller being deleted. i hope this distro continues to get support I don't think I ever need to use anything else again.

How do I install Timeshift on Debian? When I try to add the PPA, apt spergs out about no GPG key and tells me the package is broken when I try to install it, and the binary file is 404 on the official site...

you shouldn't use ubuntus PPAs for debian.
grab the source from github.com/teejee2008/timeshift then read the INSTALL file on how to install it.

wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA#Add_the_PPA_source_url_to_your_sources.list
rtfm

She's paying lots of money to allow more girls in CS
She's even learning to code

whats the point of this autism