Ryzen Discussion Thread 2

This is another general thread around Ryzen. The previous one was useful and the information gained helped determine good parts to buy.

Owners of Ryzen systems, please post your

Processor
Motherboard
Ram

Indicate these combinations and state your stable processor overclock and the speed at which you run your memory. This is important information as Ryzen runs better with higher memory clocks.

I've come across additional information which may or may not be accurate. It would appear that dual rank memory operates faster than single rank memory. This means that the beloved Samsung B-Die Single Rank (while currently the best) may not be the best in the future if/when better bios updates are released to properly support dual rank memory.

Currently a 3200MHz dual rank is mostly unstable. However a stable 2933MHz dual rank may operate at the same levels or faster as a 3200MHz single rank in benchmarks.

This brings up a good question. Where is the ceiling for performance gains relative to memory speed? The performance gains Intel receives from memory speed don't scale nearly as well as Ryzen does.

AyyMD is back boys, Intel is FINISHED!!

Other urls found in this thread:

community.amd.com/thread/215773?start=270&tstart=0
globalfoundries.com/technology-solutions/cmos/performance/7nm-finfet
forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5650&PN=1&title=ab350-gamingitx-ac-extremly-hot-vrm
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6nmg8a/gigabyte_gaab350n_owners_how_are_your_vrm_temps/
amazon.de/gp/product/B0123ZBPDA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

R5 1600
Aurous x370 Gaming K5
16 GB Corsair lpx 3000
Running at 3.7 with a wee bit more voltage
Memory at 2933
This Mobo works but it's shit for enthusiasts or high oc seekers, grab the regular version (5) instead
Good thing this isn't for any too intensive

Is there any news yet on what improvements zen2 will get? Beyond just "better performance" and being 7nm?

I want to make a new computer with a ryzen CPU, but I'd really like to have better single thread performance first.

Higher IPC
Higher clocks

Are we talking small improvements or big enough improvements to close the gap with intel?

So Tech Deals recommends a 6C/12T R5 over a 4C/8T. I know it's not a huge margin in price, but once I'm in 4C/8T territory anyway do those two extra cores really matter? Or is that only if I want to do some major multitasking? I don't even run two monitors, let alone secondary processes to have on a second screen while doing intensive stuff like gaming.

It should close the gap at least.

1700x
crosshair hero 5
32gb 3200mhz g skill, can only hit 2933
getting 3.8ghz at 1.33v
The "gap" is already set to be closed
The only thing holding Ryzen back is clockspeed and zen2 is going to fix that. Ryzen has a higher IPC that anything Intel has right now and if that is increased even further intel is in for some shit
t. someone who sold their 6700k for Ryzen

Yes, with Ryzen you want those extra cores for sure.

Even though my usage is almost always "single concurrent application Facebook machine with 5+ year old games?" How would the two extra cores benefit that?

Sounds good.
I guess now I just need wait.

Also, I've heard that the x370 chipset is better than b350 for overclocking.
Is that true? If so, why?

Yeah, you probably won't see much use on those 2 extra cores in that case, but having them there will ensures that your build won't become obsolete as quick.

It's one of those "might as well because I can" type of situations. Go ahead and do so unless your budget is incredibly tight.

R7 1700 at 3.6GHz 1.2V(for stability)
Asrock AB350m Pro4
Corsair LED 3000 running at 2666, probably could run at 2933 if I messed with the timings and such.

Paired with a RX 570 Sapphire Nitro+

Just great in every way, no complaints whatsoever. It works wonders for 3D modelling and rendering, and a side of gaming, can playThe Withcer 3 on Ultra at 60fps, if i turn down the memeworks and people density to "very high" instead of ultra.

They can be due to higher quality components used
I won't go into huge details about it but basically yes x370 is better for overclocking

Those Sapphire Nitro+ cards are good shit.

I wish I could get ahold of another one, but miners fucking drove the price through the roof.

I guess what really didn't have me sold, beyond "would I even need the cores," is the out-of-box close speed difference. The 1500X 3.5/7 gave me more confidence in single core performance than 1600's 3.2/6, even though Tech Deals is recommending a comfortable OC to 3.7 on the 1600.

Do you know the (confident) limit on the 1500X with stock cooler?

With the stock cooler?
Probably 3.7 or 3.8 all cores.

Honestly they really aren't aside from maybe allowing you slightly more control in the bios.

The VRM's have basically been proven to be the same on the b350 and x370 boards for the most part, I'm using an MSI Tomahawk Arctic and got my ram to 3466mhz and r7 1700 to 3.9ghz @ 1.3375v, if i try to go to 3.95ghz i need to pump far more volts into the CPU, i could, my noctua d14 could handle the heat, but 3.9ghz seems to be my CPUs highest reasonable clock and I accept that.

Yeah, that's what I suspected would bug me. I can break even on OC, but my fallback to stock settings is even better by 100-300MHz. I get the whole "why not" thing but it's a really hard sell when I think about it. Maybe too hard for only $25, I dunno.

Thank you for all of the feedback though. It's been very informative.

R7 1700
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
G.Skill 32GB 3200MHz CL14

I've gotten the CPU stable at 3.9GHz at 1.35v and the memory won't even post as anything above 2933, however at 2933 it sometimes has issues booting. But just hitting the reset button typically gets it to boot no problem. And I can easily attest to the performance gains on the ram for sure, gaming does seem a REALLY nice uplift in performance (From 2133.) 144 FPS at 1440p with a 1080ti is no problem for the 1700 now, and that's at stock clock speeds. Overclocking it makes it almost a non-issue in any game I throw at the combo.

Probably get memed asking here, but fuck it.
I bought i5 7600k & Z270 motherboard on sale for about $400 USD, and am now considering trying to sell it for about $350 since it's never been used, and is still relatively new.
Would that be realistic to expect? Newegg has a combo at about $160 more than I'd get from selling the Skylake, which shouldn't be too hard to get.

Dual rank IS quite a bit faster than single rank
2933Mhz dual rank is superior to 3200 single rank
And dual rank can be stable at 3200, but often needs really high SOC voltages
In addition, of you're on a gigabyte gaming 5 and want to get the highest memory speeds, the older F4 UEFI is your friend
But you wont have the latest AGESA update with that, so keep that in mind

And does anyone know why it takes 30 minutes to reset the UEFI on that board when the automatic reset after boot failure fails? Really annoying

R7 1700
MSI B350M Gaming Pro
2x4GB DDR4 Patriot Viper Elite

Still overclocking/testing the R7, but it runs really hot: 70C at stock everything. Undervolted it runs fine, but further stability testing is needed; at 3.4Ghz/1.075V with the stock cooler and 30 minutes of Prime95 small FFTs, I'm getting 73.5C. What the hell is going on? Most people are getting temps way lower than mine.

My RAM runs fine at 2400Mhz though.

1600x stock
x370 gaming 5
Sapphire 390 Nitro
3200 LPX modules, running them at 2133 for now

I really don't see a point increasing memory clock yet, ran titanfall 2 yesterday( first "new" game in a few months) it chewed the thing at 70 fps on 1440p
honestly was impressed, my 390 got a new life
was ready to tweak CPU/RAM at this point, no need.

are you looking at tdie temperature?

at least run it at 2666, 2133 to low man

What does Ryzen Master report as the "Temperature" on the main page? Is that tdie?

Should I wait for zen2? I want to upgrade to high core master race but I can wait.

What's the stock R7 1700 voltage? Also, what's the usual undervoltage success rate? I know it varies from chip to chip, and the motherboard would have a hand to play, but I'm curious as to what a general undervolt will land at while being stable.
I have no plans on overclocking, and I'd imagine 3GHz on Ryzen is just fine for video editing/rendering and some VM meddling, while keeping a manageable power consumption and temperature.

yeah, it's high then
it's normal for stock cooler though under stress load, what cooler you got?

what for? it works more than fine for everything I throw at it

Just use the offset to undervolt
About -0.11V seems to be possible on most 1700

some people report lowering up to 0.1v for stock clock
more lucky ones even report slight OC with undervolting

untweaked dual rank often beats untweak single ram, but after subtiming optimization tables tends to turn

Oh, I forgot to mention stock cooler in my post. If that's normal for stock cooler we're all good. It took me a few months to save for the R7 1700 (I had an AM3+ motherboard before then, $450 minimum investment to upgrade), but I'll upgrade to a non-stock cooler ASAP. I'm thinking of either going for the Noctua NH-L9x65 or a liquid cooler (I only have room for a 120mm radiator), but it'll take a few months to save up for the upgrade (college bills are a bitch). What would you recommend for the 1700 @ 3.5-3.7Ghz? Not looking to go up to or past 4.0.

Running this RAM at 2933Mhz on a gigabyte gaming 5, F6 UEFI
F4 UEFI allowed me to run it at 3200Mhz without increasing the SOC voltage too much, but F6 has less problems overall

current process is geared for 3ghz operation, and most cpus will hit 3.8 without getting danger volts with many able to hit 4.0

the 7nm process is apparently geared for 5ghz operation, which if you can oc the same amount, would mean the cpus could hit 6.5ghz

however, i'm just taking it at face value as every cpu will be 200mhz around 5ghz minimum and likely xfr or whatever will deal with the oc values.

taichi
32gb 3200 ripjaw i believe

haven't oc'ed yet as I was waiting on a further down the line bios so I don't have to re dick around for hours each time something better comes. haven't gotten around to upgrading the bios as we have had fairly stormy weather and don't want to risk bricking the fucker.

my ram is at 2400 as that was all that was stable without dicking around.

I'd stick with stock(unless it's very loud for you), stress testing temps are irrelevant, normal use you probably get around 60C?

Idling I get between 35-50C. So I think I'm ok temperature wise. Thank you, user!

5% IPC increase
20% clock increase
moar cores

1600 (3.9Ghz 1.35V)
Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3
G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK (3200Mhz)

Upgraded from 2500k. Really satisfied that I don't need to close some programs just to play games.

r5 1600 @ 3.9 @ 1.34, currently working my way down in voltage
asrock taichi, launch bios
8gb EVGA 3200, running at 3200mhz/ CAS 15
honestly been too lazy to change bios, evga is what came with this, i bought it all second hand. The difference in single and dual is large, my buddy at 3.5 dual is at the same performance as me at 3.9 with single. 3200 was a breeze, just set and forget in XMP, probably due to the single dimm used.
Mobo is nice, easy settings, sometimes resets OC, although that may be due to the no mobo battery.
as for the memory scaling there is a really good thread on OCN, after 3200 it appears latency matters more, as in 3466 CAS 15 < 3200 CAS 14, so on.

Are the ITX boards good yet? (ASRock, Gigabyte)

Looking to overclock a 1600x on a custom loop and switch to Zen2 or Zen 3 in the future.
Would also settle for mATX. Main reason for going ITX would be reusability of the board in a HTPC/Portable/Home Server build.

yes actually, they very recently came out, so they're out of stock almost everywhere rn, give it a week or three and you should be fine though

Since this is a Ryzen thread, I'll post here.
Should I sell my i5 7600k & Z270 and my old laptop to buy Ryzen 7 1700 as well as a motherboard/ram for it? It isn't a full system like I left out in a previous post, it's just the CPU/Mobo. All I'd need is memory for it. For reference, my current system is an Athlon 860K at 4.2GHz, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz on an ASrock A78 motherboard.
The Ryzen combo is about $550 USD, so assuming I can sell the laptop for about $200, and the CPU/Mobo for about $350, should I take this route?
I can move the video card, power supply, etc. but for now I was mainly considering the CPU, motherboard, and memory.

Ideally, I'd like to hop on Ryzen over Kabylake because higher core count (6/12 or 8/16 vs 4/4), better stock cooler (or none for 7600k), lower power draw (65W 1600/1700 vs 91W 7600k), and as Ryzen is pushing for more cores, I'd imagine developers will probably slowly start rolling out optimizations for higher core counts. I do some video editing/rendering, do some VM work, and would like to not worry about closing tabs on Chrome to be able to do anything. I'd also like to buy the system to just upgrade soon(tm) and not have to worry about upgrading again for ages (probably AM4's end of life).

I'm indecisive as fuck, and would love some guidance from someone that knows what their stuff, because I sure as fuck don't. Thank you to anyone that can help, I know my post is messy to read, but again, I'm indecisive about everything.

So for all of you that have been semi-following the mysterious segfaulting issue on Ryzen, it seems like something has finally surfaced.

community.amd.com/thread/215773?start=270&tstart=0

>CPU 14 COR ICACHE L1 IRD error

Oh dear, this could be pretty bad. Not as bad as the TLB bug but this could easily impact AMD's finances. No microcode update is going to fix a malfunctioning L1 instruction cache.

>7nm
HOW

Does that mean they need a new stepping? Oh god, and since their lineup is all out basically besides TR, they would need to at least respin all the Epyc processors at least and try and sell off the older steppings or liquidate them.

That seems pretty bad. But it only seems to be a productivity issue so far with software development. It doesn't seem like it would kill games or something like video editing.

For the plebs on Windows this won't matter much.

globalfoundries.com/technology-solutions/cmos/performance/7nm-finfet

shit
I was gonna jump in on Ryzen this fall, but now I kinda want to wait for this

Windows 7 or 8.1?

A top of the line 6-core CPU from 2010 is as capable for most uses as a top of the line 4-core CPU from 2014

The landscape is a little different now, but take from it what you will.

Windows 7. 8.1 is really not getting any love from AMD.

>Windows 8

R5 1600
Asrock AB350M Pro4
Corsair vengeance LPX 3000MHz 2x4GB

RAM is running at 2933MHz, haven't tried overclocking the CPU yet.

And if I use Windows 7 Enterprise and only install Security-Only updates I'll be safe from telemetry?

Security updates are shit.
More important are the OS stability updates, security updates have jack shit to do with that.
Like the update that uncripples your boot times if you have more than 2TB of storage.

Do they have telemetry? I only have a 1.1GB SSD anyway.

>1.1GB SSD
nani

1.1TB, sorry.

The individual kb installations don't have telemetry bundled in them.

R7 1700 @3.65 1.185V
Asus prime x370-pro
2x8gb Corsair vengeance lpx 3000 Mhz - runs @ 2933Mhz , no crashes

I feel that it is quite wierd that it runs it at 3.65 all cores at 1.185V.

So far ryzen feels awesome.

So I'm safe with Enterprise and only taking Security-Only and Stability updates?

If I use my 1800x up until Zen2 releases, do you think I can resell/trade it in for a discount on that sweet 7nm?

Either this process node is next-level magic or there's a bit of marketing fluff going on.

Zeppelin B1 (Ryzen series) operates at 3.045Ghz at 14LPPs 'overdrive' voltage
> >3Ghz operation
And at 'nominal' voltage operates at 2.46Ghz

For the 5Ghz target to apply to Zen2/Zen3, whichever is designed for 7nm,
>binned 1800X capable of 2.675Ghz at 0.85 drive voltage
>people now rumor Zen 7nm to reach an 87% clock increase from a full node shrink

The most common fix seems to be increasing voltages or a replacement CPU. Could be a problem with binning and/or voltage regulation, not an unfixable hardware bug.

Shameful bump for my dumb ass.

pls respond

R5 1600 [email protected]
B350 tomahawk
Corsair LPX 3200@c16 only working at 2933@c14
Rx480 8g
I like my ryzen system

apu when

Probably?
You are asking people to look into the future, nobody knows the answer better than you.

Guess I'll just be hopeful.
>tfw full AMD systems are finally good again

>1800x
>Gigabyte Gaming 3 (cheapest B350 MOBO)
>HD7850 (waiting for Vega)

>HD7850
Only thing that this GPU lacks is vram.

It's doing okay on my 1440p monitor, I'm deliberately staying away from software/gaymes with higher requirements until I can get an aftermarket Vega.

>Either this process node is next-level magic or there's a bit of marketing fluff going on.
It's next level magic.
It's also denser than fucking Intel's 10nm.

apparnetly the VRM coolers are shit on both the ASRock and the Gigabyte.

forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5650&PN=1&title=ab350-gamingitx-ac-extremly-hot-vrm

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6nmg8a/gigabyte_gaab350n_owners_how_are_your_vrm_temps/

first of all
>Buying Fatality when Pro4 exists

Now, that this is out of the way, what is thermal foams decimation levels? It's really easy to say "oh that foam lololo" but knowing what you are talking about, takes some actual knowledge of physics.

It's the only ITX board ASRock sells and the reported tempereratures are high even at stock settings.
Doesn't take much physics to know that the cooler can't be good.

buy infrastructure now(before RAM jumps in cost again)
and get either 1600 or 1400 for AM4
insert zen2 into same AM4 next year

probably.

Is RAM really expected to increase in price again? Why?

rumors, ssds gonna jump as well
even though more and more fabs start to pop up and production increases even more phones will use it
it will plummet do the dirt eventually, but not soon

So when is Zen 2 supposed to come out? Waiting here with a decade old C2D computer, or should I just buy now?

>[email protected] stable
>gigabyte x370 k7
>2666mhz ram

Intel is fucked

Now that sucks.

just go R51600 now, if it won't be enough by the zen2 time switch it, same socket is a nice thing to have

Fucking years dude. Mid 2019 if they're quick with it.
Upgrade your c2d.

CPU: R7 [email protected] (1.4v)
MB: ASUS Crosshair Hero 6
RAM: 2x8 Gb Ripjaws V @ 3000 MHz

Will try and do.

14LPP is a low power node, while their 7nm process seems to be geared towards high clock operations.
Even within the same feature size there are HUGE differences in clock speeds due to different process characteristics.

>1600 @ stock
>Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
>TridentZ 3200 CL16 @ 2933 MHz

I'm not planning on overclocking at the moment, my RX 480 is bottlenecking everything regardless. Besides my current case is very narrow and I'm not sure if I should replace it or just get a smaller cooler that fits inside it.

What's your RAM model number?

amazon.de/gp/product/B0123ZBPDA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

>CPU
1700 @ 3.9Ghz 1.325 vcore, 4Ghz requires 1.45 vcore which i'm not keen on.
>Motherboard
Asrock Taichi using the latest AGESA 1.0.0.6a
>Ram
Reused from previous intel build. Corsair lpx 3000Mhz CL15 (Dual-rank, samsung B-die) Running at 2933Mhz 16-17-17-35 1.365V

Installing the Ryzen balanced windows power profile improved performance quite a bit in games and synthetic benchmarks. My previous build used an OC'd 6600k @ 4.6Ghz and it completely pales in comparison.

tfw pc retard with a 1600 and cant figure out how to clock my corsair vengenance 3000 ram
its running at 2133 now and when i go to bios and set it to 29xx it fails to boot and prompts me to change the overclock in bios

mobo is asus prime b350m -a

Danke

Well, finally some progress here.
If the cache itself is malfunctioning, it could spell trouble. Do we know if it's actually caused by the cache or another component?