/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UfNMn7RWgLw
youtube.com/watch?v=-LMGOq_PbVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-mxjYkllw
pcpartpicker.com/list/87cB3F
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/
pcpartpicker.com/list/BQH4f8
pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1
i.imgur.com/r3ZJSo1.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Help me Sup Forums
I have preordered a gtx 1060 from amazon however I have no idea when it will be in stock, it might be next month, maybe in 3 months, maybe in 1 year.
There is a used very good condition GPU (only some cosmetic wear) with 30 days return, I am thinking of getting it and returning it on 25th day and re-preorder a new one, but I am afraid that they will restock the GPUs before I return the used one resulting in price spiking and me being unable to buy one.

youtube.com/watch?v=UfNMn7RWgLw

Just buy a 1080, you fukin pleb

Is that Certified JewJizz™ ?

What's the budget choice no-pwm 120mm chassis fan?

do I need to buy a fan for a build with a Ryzen 5 1400 and a gtx 1050ti ? Both of them come with their fans obviously and my case (Corsair Carbide SPEC-02) comes with its fans as well

any reason to get an optical drive in this day and age

What kind of cooler would I need to overclock a 1600 to 4ghz

does OCing a 1600 void its warranty? I'd assume so but the disclaimer you get when launching ryzen master doesn't say it directly.

i'd guess any 30-40$ cooler would handle it nicely, but that's not the problem. you pretty much have to win the silicon lottery to get r5 1600 OC to 4.0 without crazy voltage and you'd need good enough VRMs on your motherboard to not fry it.

>200$ r5 @ 4.0 performs the same as 400$ 7800x @ 4.7
the power of intel everyone

You can add some more case fans if you want
But thats completely optional

Thanks to whoever gave me advice on the RAM for the Asrock AB350M Pro4. I actually just had to re-seat the ram into slots A2 and B2 and then the XMP just werk'd, running 3200mhz easily now.

Looking to start a new build in the new few months. As someone with no interest in streaming what would the benifits be of a Ryzen over a similarly priced i5/i7? Is it just a meme?

youtube.com/watch?v=-LMGOq_PbVQ
Streaming is real-time video-encoding, video encoding scales from a fuckton amount of cores
The benefits in your case would be your CPU not shitting the bed while playing CPU intensives games & streaming at the same time

r8 my build
youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-mxjYkllw

Stock cooler

This poster is trolling.

It's possible, but not a viable long term solution I'd say.
I've gotten mine to 4.0 with the stock cooler, but it gets toasty quick.

Considering getting these parts to upgrade my rig: pcpartpicker.com/list/87cB3F
anything that could be improved?

>find gtx 1060 6gb at 280
>check 5 mins later and its at 310
STOP

gotta love them miners

>wincuck 10
>only 1 tb

Should I invest in a monitor wall mount?

I have another hard drive at 1tb as well that I will add as well and I am just going to use my old graphics card that I got last year.

2TB HDD
Higher end board (doesn't have to be much more expensive)
Faster RAM

get rid of Windows and get spend that money on 3200MHz ryzen-certified ram. It's well worth it.

Some 30-50€ cooler I guess
Or stick with the stock one and clock it to about 3.7Ghz

Thanks! I look into it, anything in particular?

hm, there's a thread on leddit which ranks the memory, can't find it at the moment though.

Where can I get a case with usb 2.0 front ports.

I'm gonna put all my parts together today lads. I'm very excited. I don't wanna pay anymore than I have to, so I'm formatting the hardrive on my toaster (1TB), and plan to also format my optical drive as well. Though, I'm unsure how to do it. I'm using Win 7. Thanks for the help

Hi, is worth today to use ssd as primary drive, for system and games? im worried about lifespan, like it will last 2 years or less.
can someone provide me a nice guide trough ssds?
Cheers!

While in 2012 and 2013 you'd actually compare between the SSDs, like MLC and SLC and other stuff.
But today, eh, every single one is pretty much the same. I can recommend Samsung stuff, my 830 series SSD has worked since 2012 and it's still my primary drive for the OS and maybe one or two games.

So looking at getting a 144hz monitor, one is on sale. I currently have a i5 4670K and a GTX 760. Is this enough to run it? It would mainly be for csgo, but some other games as well. Nothing very new, most games I play are at least a few years old.

NZXT S210 has 2x2.0

got it, here it is.

I think it should be included in the OP to clear out any questions about ryzen and it's RAM compatibility.

1080p@144hz on a 760? if you drop settings to medium and truly play nothing too new (read: basically nothing released after 2014) you should be ok

Probably yes, but they have no way of knowing you did it.

Yeah 1080p. I play csgo on low settings already, get like 150-200 fps.

>be eurocuck
>1080 back at 600€
>1070 back at 500€
>1060 now 300€
>1050 Ti now 200€
Cryptomining should be criminalized. Tbh i think about selling my PC, still have a very good laptop for work and get a console for gaming.
The GPU market is fucked forever and nobody cares, fuck this, you don't want my money? Fine, Sony will take it.

just built my first last night Sup Forums, only issue I've run into is the temp of my CPU; it's way high.

I turned off the auto overclock which helped a little but it still ranges between 70 and 98 degrees C. I'm just using the stock intel cooler with very old thermal paste, would replacing the cooler help, or could it be something worse?

yes, replace cooler and thermal paste

noob here. Just put together my first pc and it boots up but then i run into a problem. My monitor acknowledges it is plugged into the computer but when i boot it up nothing appears. just a black screen. hyelp.

does your CPU have graphics integrated into it? if no, are you plugging the monitor into your GPU and not your motherboard?

Do you currently have it plugged into a video card? Try plugging directly into the motherboard. If it works update video drivers and make sure it is set as your default display in bios.

I want to do a media build for my living room for when I have comapany over (watching streams, movies and playing music). Here's what I came up with, any suggestions?
pcpartpicker.com/list/BQH4f8
Also, any recommendations on a BR capable optical drive?

About to pull the trigger on this build. Why does logical increments recommend intel cards for this price range? Should I go with them?

is a 1080 ti overkill for 1440p 60hz?

Yes

>buying a 3GHz CPU in 2017
amdfags are a joke

Got a 1440p 144Hz monitor myself with a 1080Ti, I'd say yes unless you have autism. My CPU tends to run out of breath before my GPU in most games.

i have tried both video card and motherboard, there are integrated graphics and neither work. i dont understand how to update video drivers if i cant see what is happening in the computer

not them but what CPU you got and does it 144 Hz 1440p gaymen?

Tried different cable types?

3770K at 4.8.

>does it 144 Hz 1440p gaymen
wat

more applications being multithreaded so it would most likely last longer than intel, and it's cheaper for the same performance.

they're still going at it? fuck

i only have a dvi to hdmi cable

you can get x370 mobo for almost the same price.
you can get 3200mhz ram for same price.
you can get a 1080 for around $500.

pls no bulli

I can't find any 1080s in stock for less than 560. Where do you find them?

almost 500

pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&page=1

Have 8gb of DDR3 at the moment, when i go for a new build would it be worth it to to just get new DDR4, or would 16gb of DDR3 be alright?

would your cpu/mobo support it, start there

you'd be a fucking moron if you would buy a new CPU/mobo and try to use DDR3.

You'll probably be limited by whatever CPU/mobo setup you go with anyway, not like you can run DDR3 with Ryzen or Baby Lake.

Also I know nothing about mobos, what benefit is x370?

SLI, apparently better for overclocking than the b350 (which also supports OCing)

thoughts on this build, anons?

i.imgur.com/r3ZJSo1.png

point is to make a small, silent PC to be used for a Linux Debian

please critique my build

first, coolermaster are shit at everything. get a superflower, seasonic or even evga psu as opposed to those.
second, make sure the mobo is compatible. some 100 chipset mobos can run kabylakes but it must be stated (ASRock's H110M R3.0 can run them, the key is the R3.0) otherwise it wont match
third, the RAM is for laptops. get normal RAM and you're good

>coolermaster are shit at everything
Rude.

But yes, get a EVGA, Seasonic or Silverstone PSU instead.

Looks Ok but are you sure that the mainboard needs notebook ram modules? Also a new Intel cpu needs an up to date bios on a 110 chipset, not guaranteed to come with that from the factory.

thank you

Actually I think I goofed... the motherboard won't support that CPU... also the RAM is wrong...

I am trying to build a mini itx, silent PC, with 8gb ram and 500gb ssd

maybe I could buy another cpu ... what do you recommend? I will run 5 or 6 tasks at the same time but they're not very cpu intensive

I'm putting together a ryzen pc and want to use my win7 key from my laptop that's dying a death by a thousand cuts; will this require me calling ms and bullshitting them? I will be doing a fresh install.

Why no i5s unless discounted?

Will a core 2 quad paired wil 16 GB of ddr2 and a gtx 9050 be a bottle neck?

you don't need to buy another CPU, just find a 200 chipset motherboard since the G4560 works with those. one i know of is MSI B250i Pro
ryzen is kinda fucky on win7. read up on that first

Quickly becoming obsolete.

Oh that's interesting. In what sense? Compared to Ryzen R5s?

Let's stay focused guys

4cores and 4threads really makes them not optimal nowadays when a game with nothing else on gets pretty taxing on the CPU (think 80% usage), and when you consider most gaymers will use voip or something else in the bg it gets pretty bad for i5s
and then you have people who do productivity tasks with their PCs and the ryzens completely shit down intel's throats as if it were a street in that regard.

It's relevant - I was considering whether to build an i5 or Ryzen r3/5 - I'd like to know why I shouldn't go i5

literally not answering the question.

Haha I now understand. Thank you wise Senpai

My ddr2 motherboard only has 2 slots. Is there a way to install more that 4 GB of ram? I can't fine any sort of 4GB dimm thats ddr2.

What B350M motherboard would be good enough for a 3.7 - 3.9 GHz OC?

Literally no idea what you're talking about. Peace be with you brothers and sisters of Sup Forums

I used my old Win 7 key to activate a fresh install of Win 10.

What are you planning on using the system for?

If games, you could make the case for the i5, for anything else just go Ryzen. As much as the Ryzen shills would like you to believe otherwise, it isn't as good in most games as an i5/i7.

>inb4 people posting graphs where the i7 does 300fps and ryzen 200fps and people saying 'DURR DO YOU REALLY NEED 300FPS THOUGH???', or posting cherrypicked examples of games released in the last 6 months where Ryzen is equal to Intel.

What is the most compact and comfy micro ATX case on the market that won't cause a house fire? I have limited space and don't need multiple bays or expansion slots.

Got you covered
Just discovered it myself today, pretty useful
But Samsung B-die isnt too important anymore
My Hynix M-die single rank runs out of the box at 3200Mhz by just turning on XMP
But I'm running at 2933Mhz because the increased SOC voltage required for 3200 increases power consumption by quite a bit

Samsung B-die dual rank would be best, but don't spend too much on RAM

You cant find it because it doesn't exist

fug. I figured so.

What EVGA PSU is that?
G2 or G3 would be best (or any other super flower rebrand)
GQ is also fine
The rest is mediocre to shit

Mostly productivity and work (SQL server, VMs etc...), along with some mid-spec gaming on the side. So I guess 6 core R5 would be the better choice?

Looks solid

How do you find out what die your RAM has?

I have some Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M2A2666C15 rev. 3.21 and can't find any info on them. Best I can get them to run at is 3066 14CL, which is fine with me, but I'm just curious what they are.