Why is Ethernet so slow?

I'm using a Cat6 cable, should be getting at least 40mbps. Router is Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Obviously a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Motherboard is Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit-Network-Adapter-EXPI9301CTBLK/dp/B001CY0P7G
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I can confirm on mobile that wireless is outputting 60mbps, and using latest drivers and BIOS revision

bump

Change the ethernet cable and also change the port on the router that you're using.

If you have another NIC you can test you might wanna try that too.

Ask ISP to give you a new modem.

>>>>>>>>netgear
i could make a food analogy but I'm not gonna because you'd probably just get hungry

That was a >$200 router when it came out

What modem?

If arris/Motorola surfboard consider suicide

WinMSDOS? There's a reason Killer NICs exist.

Sorry for not responding bois, had to go make myself lunch
Well shit, its a Cisco.
See , plus the firmware is open-source
Excuse me? Please explain

I even put the cable directly into the modem, and im still getting low speeds

>Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Found your problem. Buy a non-chink adapter.

built in to the motherboard, Sup Forums was the one who told me not to get one. i really dpont want to pay $30

>i really dpont want to pay $30
Then suffer. I bought a Realtek gigabit card that performed worse than the onboard Intel fast ethernet. Realtek a shit, buy something used.

Call spectrum. Reinstall the drivers.

Have you tried a different ethernet cable yet.

Yes, of course. I just bought this new one, and i tested my old one. They both give me the same speed
Im thinking about it. Maybe ill call and get the modem replaced or replace it myself
Alright, ill consider after i call spectrum

Is it 60 mbps or 60 mBps?

mbps, 60 megabytes per second would be amazing

100+ is even better

Damn, yuropeople have it good for internet speeds. LA ISPs suck ass, its just Spectrum and AT&T mostly

You may want to call sometimes it's best to do so.

Test LAN speed before going internet perhaps?
It'll narrow down the search.

If yer not getting "at least 40mbps" LAN then you fucked up (cable, network adapter, router); can narrow that down to only cable/adapter if you do a direct one-to-one ethernet connection.
Otherwise - they fucked up. Call ISP and shout loudly until they comply.

This is washington DC mate.

$70/month, no data caps.

LAN is the fucking problem, wireless isnt. It might be the onboard gigabit ethernet controller. I think I'm going to have to RMA the motherboard. This is speeds on wireless on my streaming and shitposting tablet
Lucky, i think charter has a secret terabyte cap, and then they start throttling, but they still fucking throttle at night

Got any laptops laying around to test with?

Just something else with an ethernet NIC.

>Lucky, i think charter has a secret terabyte cap, and then they start throttling, but they still fucking throttle at night
Technically there is a soft data cap at 10TB, if you keep crossing that point for a few months they offer to push you over to a business account, or cancel your contract without an ETF. (since they're the ones terminating service they can't charge you an ETF)

Nah, i got my mom's abandoned 2013 mac, but thats about it. I dont have an adapter for ethernet to thunderbolt or usb or whatever
Actually, i just looked it up, and since the merger of TWC and Spectrum just happened, the FCC is prohibiting them form placing data camps on customers for a couple of years. So ill be good for a while

Well you can RMA the board, but if that's not the issue then it's probably the router.

I dont think its the issue of the router, each of the four ports seems to function the same and give me the same speeds. Even when im plugged in directly to the modem i get shit speeds. I think i should either get a wired/wireless pcie adapter. I would appreciate some recommendations

If you do any sort of gaming or anyhting that requires low latency, dont even bother with wifi.

I like the I210-T1

I've got an I350-T2 in my pfsense box.

You could probably get something cheaper though if you aren't doing anything exciting on your network
amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit-Network-Adapter-EXPI9301CTBLK/dp/B001CY0P7G

Eh, i do some gaming. CSGO is the only thing i need low latency on. I just need something that i can use to get advertised speeds and not be too shit like this realtek controller

Any packet loss or interface errors for your nic?

Nope, just seems to be a DOA controller

What's it negotiating at? Make sure it's the same as your router.

What do you mean by negotiating?

1st - Make sure that you don't have any applications running in the background (torrent client ,etc )

Do a speed test.. Still messed up ? Continue reading.

2nd
Try a network speedtest locally. (Pull a file from PC1 to PC2 or something )

If okay, continue.
Messed up here too? Your router is misconfigured.

3rd. Is your wireless network secured properly? Do you see any suspecious activity through your router? Could be that someone is using all of your bandwidth.

4rd. What type of a connection do you have? Fibre, DSL, Cable ?

Here's also the part where I'd blame your ISP.

If you want further help, then drop me an email at [email protected].

1000/full, 100/full, duplex etc. If these don't match you're gonna have problems