/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124045
pcpartpicker.com/list/Bykg7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/ds66tJ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487299
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA73M4SV8364
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487296
amazon.com/dp/B072K3Z5NC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FsPCzb20J3B9N
pcpartpicker.com/list/HmzkBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/xKqBnn
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817438095
pcpartpicker.com/list/nM973F
quietpc.com/sys-a460s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If I just wanna add two sata cables to my system for some more drives(not raid) is this alright
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124045

would i be getting the full individual-drive speed

I got my monitor to 75Hz (lowered the res so it would allow me), and damn, the difference is really there. I wonder what a 144Hz or 240Hz one feels like

I managed to snap a pin on my USB 3.0 header on my motherboard. I've got a bit of wire used for vaping and pushed it as far into the male end and snipped it to a size that is making contact but I can still pull it out with pliers incase. good idea or not?

USB ports are working perfectly and have been for a while. Just want opinions on my bodge fix

So is the 1050 ti still the best gpu I can get for under $200?

you could always steal one

if they're just HDDs yes cus they cant even saturate SATA 1 speeds and PCI-e 2.0 x1 is more than enough for two.

pure eyegasm

no, those things are soldered and you just pushing something in there might get shit connection and be unreliable as fuck.

seems so, depending on where you live.

tfw paid ~250$ in some meme combo deal for a total of 280 for this

USB 3.0 have been working perfectly since. Full speed too been about a month now

Is this accurate for 1080P gaming? I understand DX11 and 12 fucks with things a bit but I am trying to get an overall understanding.

1080ti > 1080 = RX Vega > 1070 > 580 8GB = 1060 6GB >= 580 4GB > 1060 3GB = 570 >=1050ti > 560 4GB > 1050

First time build looking for some advice on this:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Bykg7h

Budget is around $1300 and was planning on slotting in a 1060 when the prices get closer to normal.

I should note that I do live close to a microcenter so the parts listed cost me around $150 less than on pcpartpicker.

Thanks

this pic is a bit old tho and doesnt have the new 500 cards

I'm going to be using the build mainly for gaming and some streaming. My budget is hard capped at 1000 dollars. Is there anything I can do to save a little bit more money, or on the flip side; get more performance while staying under 1k?

pcpartpicker.com/list/ds66tJ

GPU RESTOCK WHEN REEEEEEEE

Unless you plan to SLI, there's no point in an X370 mobo.

no one knows how RX vega will perform, judging its performance from vega FE is not advisable, you really should wait until it gets released

As for the rest of the 'graph", I think the 570 is a tad little better than the 1060 3GB

why are some gpus like this pretty cheap:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487299

while gpus like this are $700+?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA73M4SV8364

Is the first one fucking shit somehow?

who /waitingforthreadripper/ here

You'll spend less on a 2x8 16gb combo at 300 or 3200 mhz.
You're underspending on the mobo. The golden sweetspot for B350 mobos is between $85 and $115 MSRP.
looks good otherwise.

me, I'll be getting RX vega too no matter what because I want a freesync monitor

I initially had a different board, but microcenter has a bundle with the 1600 + X370 for $300 so I figured why not?

Is there a different board you'd recommend for

get b350 chipset and not asrock. if you want to OC make sure it has decent chokes and VRM (read hardware review, not buyer reviews).
get a ram kit with two sticks instead of two seperate kits with just one stick, and 3000mhz+ (ryzen loves fast ram).
get at least 240GB SSD.
RX580 > 1060 (depending on price).
rest is fine.

because one is no longer manufactured and in low supply.

1050 is still in production and is garbage for mining so the prices aren't inflated.

Seems like you're getting chinked on the 950 price there. It's out of production but it's also pretty shit for mining. I'm assuming they're just putting a high price to see if some sucker will take it.

The second one is old as shit (2-3 years old IIRC) and stock is low. when supply can't meet demand, prices go up. Miners buying things in bulk drove up prices. The 1050 is a better card. make no doubt about it. Give it a month and a half or so and the GPU market should stabilize.

Should I buy an HGST 3tb refurb for muh gaymes?
Some reviews say they're loud.

Ah, if you're getting a deal on it, then do it.

For my personal build, I'm grabbing an MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic.

im sure most noise is due to case vibrations (i know my seagate does this sometimes since when i push shit tight it stops).

Just checked ebay sold listing prices for the 950 and they're usually 70-90 USD used and around 100-120 USD new. So that's a complete ripoff price.

I just want a nice low-profile one for for my linux home server but with a nice amount of cuda cores for other work.

Is the first one pretty good for that? For a system running basically 24/7.

Something like this even looks fine:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487296

what should I look for? Non-gaming and non-mining

Have anyone tried out the Pixio PX245c?
Nobody has a review for it.
Joker Productions has one but no review from him

amazon.com/dp/B072K3Z5NC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FsPCzb20J3B9N

a low profile what? gpu? just get a htpc case with tilted gpu slot

you should look at reviews where they test cuda shit on different cards.

Guys I can't anymore, I have been waiting for 1060s since early June, I am thinking of getting a 1050ti and end it all.

just buy a used RX x80

I already have a build up and running using integrated.
"Buy a new computer" isn't gonna help just because of a gpu.

I'll look at more cuda-based reviews

>used
Id like to keep my GPU for more than 1 year thanks.

i bought a used gtx470 housefire many years ago that i still use

I had one of those. Thing idled at the temperature of Satan's butthole

pcpartpicker.com/list/HmzkBP
(Adding vega / gtx 1060 / rx580 later, sound card and 2×8gb 3000mhz ram later)
Is this a good mid range build? Is there anything wrong with it?

sure does

>soundcard
why?
>replacing ram later
fucking why?
>spending more than $50 on gpu just to replace it in a month
whatthefuckingshit why?

spend more on the power supply. You want 80+ Bronze minimum, with all black cables, and either semi-modular or fully modular.

>buying anything but gold rated in current year
nah

wait until you can buy the shit you want from the start, buying some stupid shit just to replace it in a short while is fucking retarded and wasting money.

Thank you!

Also, AMD cards are very expensive. Some Rx 580's go for 400+

yeah, the idiot miners fucked with AMD gpu prices

My first build is stressing me the fuck out. My psu only came with two PCI-E 6+2 adapters and my gtx 1070 takes an 8 and a 6. Would it be simple enough to use an 6+2 and a 6 for powering the graphics card? Or do I need the 8 and 6 PCI-e. Really don't wanna fuck up here lads. Pic related

prices should go down sooner or later but if you dont want to wait the 1060 6gb is fine.
you should get ram without heatsinks that sticks up (like corsair LPX).
and if you want to OC you should consider an aftermarket cooler.

amd are making mining cards soon so hopefully wont happen again

what fucking PSU do you have nigga

the mining craze is already dying, and even if it doesn't, no one is going to sell their gpus to buy the mining version

like it died the years before?

nah but they might consider buying them instead of the gamer versions if amd makes it worth it the next time they make a mining rig

What is the problem with a heatsink that sticks up?

550w seasonic G series it's a little old but the wattage should be sufficient. I've seen previous builds using the same parts

have i overlooked or poorly/overly specced anything? a little unsure if the monitor might be too big. my second edition to pcbg.

the plan is to run fairly general use ubuntu, watch a few 1080 flicks, and play some dota.

budget is somewhat flexible, all my past computers have been laptops so i want to stretch a little bit and get a nicer, higher-end box that's a little more modular and semi-permanent

the graph is a little jacked, but i'm not sure why: pcpartpicker.com/list/xKqBnn

>I need it for higher quality sound
>"A D D"
Is it possible to use two different gpus at the same time (i want to connect it to secondary monitor) if not I'm getting the gt 210
Any psu suggestions?
Old laptop died and i am not patient

Bruh, you're going to waste money on parts now to just replace them in a month or two, yet you chose the bare minimum anyone should consider for a PSU? What are you doing?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817438095

Seasonic's website states that PSU comes with two 6+2 pin PCI-E cables. I don't understand your issue..? Plug on full 6+2 in and plug the other 6 in and let the +2 hang off next to it.

it's a useless meme only for looks and it gets in the way of the biggest cpu coolers.
you dont HAVE to change ram it's just recommended since there's no price difference and you probably wont be buying those coolers anyway.

but that unit has two 6+2 PCI-E cables why are you talking about adapters?

Should I get RX560 or 1050ti if I'm getting a 1080p FreeSync monitor?

Banter topic but: what angle is "safe" for a hard drive to be positioned during operation?

"Flat"(Disk is facing flat up) or "Vertical"(Disk is "on its side")?

>running freesync on nvidia graphics
is this bait?

| or _

Looks damn fine to me. I might suggest slightly faster RAM. I got 2x8gb TEAM DDR4 3000MHz RAM working at 3066 pretty easily on my ASUS Strix X370 board and it was around $115 I think. You could also go for 3200MHz RAM if you wanted to but I was fine with 3000.

That monitor is bretty gud for productivity tasks, I have several at work and the colors are quite good after some tweaking. Haven't tried games on it obviously.

> | & _
aka both*

Nvidia doesn't work with Freesync even though they could with just some driver work but they want to force you to buy G-Sync which requires special hardware in the monitor.

I know it doesn't work, I'm wondering if getting a slightly worse card is worth it for having FreeSync functionality or if I should just get the stronger card and not have any frame sync at all. I'd save about fifty bucks if I got the RX560 on top of that.

go with the 8GB version GPU also wait until prices come down before you buy. those cards should be going for under $300 normally.

ryzen likes fast ram so get 3000mhz+

i'd drop the wifi and get a mobo with it integrated instead.

recommend 144hz monitor for maximum gaemin

It's a temporary card in either case, right? If so just get the cheaper RX560.

get a 570

>GPU I preordered since early june is on its way
HOLY FUCK Sup Forums A MIRACLE HAS HAPPENED

>paying that much for temporary card
fucking stop this retarded shit

Is this a dream or reality

If you're going to stay at 1080p, it'd be cheaper to get any mid-range AMD card and utilize FreeSync, as nVidia refuses to support it. FreeSync monitors that are equivalent spec to G-Sync monitors are in a range of like $100-250 cheaper. So you could always get a nicer IPS and/or higher Hz monitor for cheaper, while having all the benefits of FreeSync. It's pretty win-win.

Though if you're considering a 560 I really don't think you're in the market for a $350+ IPS/144Hz monitor.

>Order PC parts
>Everything has arrived except for the mobo and PSU

Fuck off and spend your own money how you want.

I checked some other GPUs and some of them seem to restock on 31st,(Atleast for amazon.co.uk) guys save your money until then

Plz respond

>wasting money
ok retard

>not telling them to ship everything at the same time

I hope it's not a box full of spiders, user.

>having a working computer that can do what you want vs having a bunch of components sitting around doing nothing
>wasting money

Confirmed retard. These GPUs can either serve as a back-up in the future or can be sold later to recoup costs. If you actually get use out of it then it's certainly not wasted like you falsely claim.

I am way too excited, finally I can remove the Radeon 6450 from my new PC

you could spend that money right now on something better

See Alternatively, a Corsair RMx series, Seasonic S12G or G series or Cooler Master V series.

Is the EVGA GQ 650W Hybrid Modular 80+ good?

What would be better that wouldn't also just be a stop-gap solution? All the better new cards are overpriced for non-mining use.

To my knowledge the G2 and G3 series are of higher quality. You could check out Jonny Guru to see if he's reviewed the specific PSU series.

G2 and G3 are slash g approved user san

anything cheaper.
you should at least get proper ram from the beginning when you're spending that much money anyway, and RAM isnt that overpriced like GPUs.

How much to top of the line gpus like the 1080 ti cost around black friday/cyber monday?

Anything weaker than a RX560/1050 isn't even capable of playing games at an acceptable level. No one even said anything about sacrificing RAM speeds for a GPU. And DDR4 prices are actually inflated right now due to the mobile phone market.

>No one even said anything about sacrificing RAM speeds for a GPU.
neither did i, i said since they are not massively overpriced like GPUs, there's no fucking reason to buy shit RAM now just to replace later.

Why even bring it up then?

are you fucking retarded? learn to read.

What's the best way to persuade parents that they're son shouldn't get bought an overpriced prebuilt pc over the custom one I am willing to build for them?

You've just made poor arguments from the beginning. No one said anything about RAM until you mentioned it effectively as a red herring to the original statement about temporary GPU purchases. The idea of purchasing an entry-level GPU as a stop-gap measure until you are able to purchase a more reasonably priced, mid-tier GPU is a sound decision in many cases given the current GPU market. Stop pretending like you're making a good case for the contrary because so far you're just floundering.

Learn to make a coherent argument instead of just calling people retarded and pretending like you've won.

>price
>upgradability
>longevity
>quality

go look at the origina post again you blind tard, he had a smaller slower kit of ram in the build list and linked another kit saying he was gonna replace it later

You can't because
i7 7700k 600$ custom built pc that was destroyed by a 13 years old < 1000$ pre built i3

Your original reply to me was about GPUs, I'm not talking about the original poster's RAM question. At no point did I even mention RAM and my argument never included it--I've been talking about GPUs this entire time. You're just deflecting against my original point about GPUs by saying the OP should get better RAM.

The original post from you that I replied to was which is just about temporary cards. That was the entire focus of my argument. You haven't made a good case this entire time because you seemingly can't. You made a stupid statement as a knee-jerk reaction and can't back it up with an argument.

Convince them of your own competence first of all. They need to know you're not going to fuck anything up while assembling the computer.
Show them the parts themselves on PCPartPicker, show them explicitly they all are compatible together. Show them a brief video of how to assemble a PC.

Don't be mean to them. Calmly convince them you know what you're doing, and that everything will be better if they get the custom PC instead of the prebuilt.

redpill me on making this cheaper
pcpartpicker.com/list/nM973F

Intel 600p SSD, yay or nay?
Looking for a cheap one, there is only this option or Kingston (both 2.5" / M.2).
>SM2280S3G2/120G / A400

You can't go wrong with microcenter and their cpu mobo deals. Thank christ I work less than five minutes away from the only one in the state.

I have tinnitus which reacts to noise so I'm downgrading to a silent pc, is this ok value for money given that I need it silent?
quietpc.com/sys-a460s

>High end gpu
>The cheapest mobo you found
>Mid range cpu
What are you using that pc for?

vidya