Chinese thread

Talk about Chinese culture, write in Chinese if you want, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xhU8C5RCbBs
youtu.be/uDyo6IAnbVY?t=84
mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/08/world/asia/china-hair-trend-sprout-plant.html
mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/dining/chinese-food-sichuan-chengdu.html
gutenberg.org/ebooks/13940
m.todayonline.com/commentary/singlish-uniquely-singaporean-threat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Im surprized by the fuct Jiang Ze Min is still alive

把人民的希望变成生活的现实
t. Xi JingPing
youtube.com/watch?v=xhU8C5RCbBs

youtu.be/uDyo6IAnbVY?t=84

catchy yet seemingly profound.

Apparently I'm going to be tested on the 1000 most common characters in a few months :^)

Looked through the list of them though and I recognized the majority of them. Guess I know more characters than I thought. Apparently I need to be able to read them in traditional too, though.

Thanks for reading my blog, please subscribe.

Anyone else here /Chinese major/?

Planning on being a double major in that and Math or Economics when I start university in the Fall. 加油user, 1000 characters isn't impossible, just put a couple hours in every day.

我到大学的时候很希望当一个中文专业喔。
你从什么时候开始学中文?

I think you mean:

>我到大学的时候很希望当一个中文专业家喔。
>你几时开始学中文?

Would be more accurate.

谢谢新加坡-senpai

Nice. I recently started college and am doing a double major in Chinese and Comp Sci.

Thanks for the encouragement. It definitely isn't impossible. I checked through the list and it looks like I already know most of them, there's just a few that I'll need to study, plus I'll need to make sure I can recognize the traditional forms.

我两年前开始学中文

你为什么决定学习中文?

Out of curiosity, if I ever went to Singapore, how would Singaporean Chinese react if I spoke to them in Mandarin?

Nothing. Most will just stare blankly at you and reply you in English. They might assume you're just trying to practice your Mandarin and maybe entertain you. Others might get offended because there's some sort of inferiority complex in Singapore with regard to Chinese culture. Still others might get annoyed because of the implicit assumption that all Chinese people speak Mandarin. Imagine going to Europe and having random people say nihao repeatedly in your face all the time.

What the hell- just do it for the kicks!

Some interesting Chinese subculture:

Recently there's been a trend of girls wearing plastic sprouts on their heads. There is completely no reason for it- i guess it looks cool?

mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/08/world/asia/china-hair-trend-sprout-plant.html

cute

>implicit assumption that all Chinese people speak Mandarin.
So I should learn Teochew? Challenge accepted.

lmao. so random and bizarre.

all the chinese pandering in independence days was funny . no one uses qq outside of china lol

Indeed, most Chinese usage seems to be ironic within my circles there as well.

In a bid to preserve tradition, some bureaucratic types thought it wise to pass laws dictating how food should be cooked. The fact of life is that laws can't solve every problem.

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/dining/chinese-food-sichuan-chengdu.html

Actually it's worse than that. A lot of young Singaporean Chinese can't even speak Mandarin well, let alone a single word of dialect. We just brush off this deficiency by saying we're 'Singaporean', so we speak only English. It's sad to watch really. I'm not sure if it's due to an inferiority complex or something.

That's a shame, although perhaps it's not too surprising due to the influence and usefulness of English in both Singapore and the world. At least the dialects are still spoken in China so there's no worries about them going completely extinct, at least in the near future.

Lmao how do they pass tests then?

Yea. I just had a discussion with my girlfriend the other day. She was so convinced that even without the influence of the US, the rest of the world would continue speaking english as the lingua franca. I tried explaining to her that people would most likely speak German or Chinese or Russian rather than English, like what happened to French a century ago. She refused to accept it. That's how deep the rabbit hole goes in this tiny country.

Who knows, maybe my grandkids will tell me one day they're 'Singaporean' and therefore only speak Chinese. The irony would be so thick.

Given that everything is written in english except for Mandarin tests, they just flunk their Mandarin exams and do well in everything else. You know normal people would feel bad, but i had friends who did the reverse sour grapes thing and were really proud of their shitty Mandarin.

Who knows

1.4 billion speak Chinese. That's enough to make anyone satisfied.

Hey, it's my good ol' 同志,雷锋!I should visit the Lei Feng museum some day..

I'm still waiting for Singlish to become the official language of Singapore, lah

Government should punish the cucks.

Literally cutting yourself out of a 1.4 billion person market.

Obligatory image post for those who think of learning Chinese and go "thuh 1.4 billion person market!!!"

That been said, I'm jealous of the guy in this thread who's studying both Chinese and Computer Science. I should've so done that from the beginning.

Also, ignore my flag, I'm actually latino, not Chinese. Coincidentally I'm currently listening to 冬子 and 重小煙's song "一生一刹".

The dirty commies of the main land already destroyed Chinese culture during the communist rebellion, the modern Chinese culture they practice today is artificial & propaganda

>I should've so done that from the beginning.
What are you studying/did you study instead?

>image macros on Sup Forums are reputable sources of information

Bullshit. The emperor Qin Shi-Huang tried to do the same to Confucian scholars during the Qin Dynasty by burning books and burying people alive. Yet look at how prevalent confucian ideals are today. It's harder to remove traditional values than you think.

If you want to see how China was like before the revolution, read Bertrand Russell's autobiographical account of his journey to China in 1911 here:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/13940

I studied French, as I wanted to be a French/Spanish teacher (they're actually quite in demand where I live). But meh, changed my mind. Now I'm studying Computer Science, and Chinese in my spare time.

欢迎你来学中文, 祝你学习愉快

Won't happen, we hate ourselves too much. The only way is the anglophonic way

m.todayonline.com/commentary/singlish-uniquely-singaporean-threat

Sometimes I look at the Chinese and see a bunch of zombies brainwashed by the CCP, and sometimes I see completely normal and cool people.

I am confused.

What happened to East Asia thread you traitor

I'll probably make another one soon.

In the last few EA threads there weren't many posters though

College happened recently too, haven't had much time, familia

Thanks for making these threads senpai, i enjoy comtributing to these

>Elder Jiang
What is he, a fucking Mormon?

In CNY, how much is a low, average and high salary in Shanghai per month? i plan to move there if i can

Depends on the job famalam you gotta be more specific

You're welcome senpai

first for based jack ma

A non tech-savvy person to become a tycoon in IT industry. His entrepreneurship is amazing.

I've heard Indians and Arabs love WeChat.