/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega soon.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Nx26WX
pcpartpicker.com/list/RmBs4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/BJTZbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/PY74LD
youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k
youtube.com/watch?v=-_NpCTSq2Mw
pcworld.com/article/3213387/computers/facepalm-intels-upcoming-coffee-lake-cpus-wont-work-with-todays-motherboards.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/rdCCRG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wow, nice trips man, mind if I check them?

Nah not at all.

how does ram work?
Does more gb of ram=faster ram?

Dude. Just download more RAM.

>asus b350m-a mobo
>ryzen 1600
>was using a wifu usb dongle that would get me 15mbps
>buy cat5e cable today
>connect with it
>6mbps

>use the cable on a laptop to see if its faulty
>15mbps

is my ethernet port broken on mobo?
what do

IT'S THURSDAY, WHERE ARE MY THREADRIPPER REVIEWS

REEEE

Update your ethernet drivers

Will this work?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Nx26WX
Mainly for gaming and 3D rendering
>gtx 1050ti til the gpu pricing isn't shit

Reminder that current motherboards are not compatible with Coffee Lake. This tweet was just deleted btw

MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon for Intel NIC and Realtek ALC1220
EVGA G3 550W / Super Flower Leadex II 650W
Wifi AC

>only one titan xp
Spotted the poorfag.

DELET

Heheh, if I were going to do crossfire stuff I would prob buy multiple 1080's as they are nearly as good for like half the price.

What's the best Ryzen mATX board?

>compatibilble

MSI B350M Mortar
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
MSI B350M Gaming Pro
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
Asrock AB350M Pro4

Hey fellas,
Already have a 6600k/1060 build, making some decent money now and not really much else to spend it on so looking to buy right into the tempered glass/rgb jew. I have 2 1440/144hz screens, only use one at a time, is there anything in this build I'm wasting my money on?
pcpartpicker.com/list/RmBs4C

read the OP. Intel has faceplanted since Ryzen was released.

I remember the OP said that 7700k was best if you were looking for 144hz. Will a 1600/x do?

At 1440p, everything will have trouble with 144hz.

I'm not autistic about it, as long as it never dropped below 100 then it wouldn't matter. Also I'm gonna wait™ for Vega to drop so I can see which is a better value proposition.

Should be fine the, a 1600/x will play most games around 120 fps

If you have a 6600k why are you getting a new mobo?

I'm going to sell my build as a whole to a friend.

One thing I'm not sure on is the case, a tossup between it and the enthoo evolv tg. Anyone got any experience building in either?

Do not buy kraken AIO's.
Bought one brand new and the pump failed within 5 months

What do you guys think of this setup?

pcpartpicker.com/list/BJTZbj

Is the power supply enough? Could I get away with a cheaper motherboard?

And what case would you suggest for all of that to fit?

that case has a shitty front airflow
and if you're going to buy a 150+ case might as well wait for Cooler Master HAF H500P

>Intel
read the OP

a good z170 are usually cheaper than a z270
a case is subjective in terms of looks
and also get a ryzen at this point Intel is bretty much fucked

How snuggly does the Ryzen 1400 achieve 4GHz? Got a good B350 & decent compatible cooler, so thermals for it shouldn't be a problem, but just curious at the moment, as I'm planning on buying it tomorrow with some other stuff.
Also, to any Aussie anons, what's a good site that has cases, but doesn't charge a fuck ton of didgeridoos for shipping? So far I'm having to hope that Austin have a case in stock from my local branch.

My homeserver's kicking the bucket so I have to replace the processor. I'm thinking of some flavor of Xeon E3.

Would you have suggestions for a good LGA 1155 mobo? I need Gigabit Ethernet and AMT KMS for remote control but that's about it.

>AMT KMS for remote control
man, what a fucking cocksucker you are
why not user proper remote management? why use this fucking cancer?

Because I'm a fucking newfag. I was using an old Athlon 4000 I had lying in a closet until now, this is the first dedicated build I'm making for it.

What should I use instead?

I'm an ausfag, I normally buy my cases from Kogan. Prices are a bit higher than pccasegear outright but shipping is super cheap, normaly 10-12 compared to pccasegear's 80-90, but it would depend where you live.

Best SSDs for medium price?
Looking in the $50-60 price range. 120 is fine but 240 is obviously welcome too.

What's wrong with Intel though? My main use will be gaming, and according to the interbutts, it is better suited for that role that the Ryzen 7 1700

>Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
Good lord, I figured an extra $50 but the prices are literally double their MSRP. How long should I expect to wait for reasonable prices? I really hope I don't have to wait until 2018 to build a new computer that isn't shit

I actually bought a 1080 gaming X for 570€
Then I felt really bad.

When will AMD surpass Intel's SC performance? They could literally corner the market by making Intel's existence pointless. Now they're letting them get away with single core monopoly while focusing purely on multicore shit.

Hopefully the process shrink from Zen2 will address some of the single-core Ryzen lacks.

What should i look for in a screen? My graphics card will be an rx 580 8gb

I have been waiting for a month now, and its only get worse.
I only want to buy one RX580.

Fucking cryptoshit and its fucking miners.

is this overkill for a windows multipoint (multiseat) server?

pcpartpicker.com/list/PY74LD

it would be running from 10 to 20 clients at the same time (windows 7, light browser at most)

oh and in text format

CPU: Intel - Xeon E5-2640 2.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($404.33 @ Amazon)
CPU: Intel - Xeon E5-2640 2.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($404.33 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.25 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.25 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - Z9PA-D8 ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($472.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($334.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.34 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair - 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Wired Network Adapter: Asus - XG-C100C PCI-Express x1 100 Mbps/1 Gbps/10 Gbps Network Adapter ($99.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2000.46

>What's wrong with Intel though?
youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k

A long history of breaking contracts, bribery and hating consumers.

They've even been sued by the fucking US government over their business practices.
youtube.com/watch?v=-_NpCTSq2Mw

spare your money for a miata instead of gaymin'

>they took the 7700k out of the OP for 144hz
xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

they mad
wait for zen+ boys then maybe it'll be a good choice for 144

I'm fell for the mini ITX meme a while back, so I'm going to do a CPU, RAM, MOBO CASE upgrade.
Is this a good buy?
R7 1700
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4
Team Dark 16GB DDR4-3000
NZXT S340

I don't game much but I have a R9 270X with is enough for me.

Pajeet shill gotta earn his rupees

>Buying intel right now
WHO IN THE RIGHT MIND WOULD SUGGESTING A FELLOW user TO BUY A FUCKING DEAD SOCKET RIGHT NOW
ARE YOU RETARDED?

pcworld.com/article/3213387/computers/facepalm-intels-upcoming-coffee-lake-cpus-wont-work-with-todays-motherboards.html

Because it's the best chip for 144hz if you're buying right now? Everything else is objectively inferior.
For 60hz a $100 ryzen is fine

And became obsolete in less than a year?
Why would I wasted my money for something like that?

I rather wait for Coffeelake than buying a dead socket.

they're not obsolete they'll be outperforming everything else for 144hz for another 5 years until the single thread perf falls behind

>they'll be outperforming everything else for 144hz for another 5 years
Until coffelake came out you dumb fuck and its not 5 years.
Like I said, dead socket.

Looks good.

It's so hard finding a case. I want motherboard to be laying down so GPU isn't at the mercy of gravity. Only ones I've found are Corsair Air 540 but it seems to be unnecessarily huge and costs quite a bit and the smaller 240 has problems fitting the GPU. Other than those two there's just Thermaltake's Core V21 that has what I'm looking for and at reasonable price.

There are few standard cases with vertical mounting but those are pricey and I'd need a riser cable that brings the costs even higher.

I already drive a 350z.

What about the haf xb? I love that thing. You should just go itx most of the it cases are like that and 2 DIMM and one pcie is all a gaymer needs

pls 2 help

Why not just get a single Ryzen Threadripper chip? 12 cores, 24 threads, same price as both of those 6 core Xeons.

Freesync

Which gaymen monitors are worth getting currently?

No curveshit

Will TR 1950X work on Windows 7?

>buying a housefire CPU
>buying a dead socket
>buying a 4 core CPU for 330$
>paying more for boards that can overclock

It will work, but it might need some workaround to get updates

can those work on server motherboards? i'd like more than 64 gigs of ram if i'm going to be running +10 windows 7 virtual machines

Threadripper supports 128GB

nigger that doesnt answer my question. also all available motherboard im seeing support up to 64

pcpartpicker.com/list/rdCCRG

How's this look? I know the RAM is shit but it's part of a combo deal. I want to go with 32GB anyway, so I plan on getting a samsung b-die kit later.

How did I do guys?

pretty but in all her pictures she stares into the void like dumb women

>no threadripper
It's shit, brah

get supernoca g2/g3 instead.
is that ram from mobo's QVL? because it should.

Every X399 board I have seen supports 128GB

Yeah, I bought the supernova 650 G2, I forgot to change it. And yes, I've already built a similar pc for a friend and that rams works perfectly. I was more worried about the CPU/GPU combo, I'm not sure if I should've bought the ryzen 1700 or if the 1600 is enough.

The money is really in server/mainframe sales so that is their focus.

for gayming just get r5 1600.

How long am I looking at waiting for a reasonably priced AM4 memeITX board?

>Seagate 3TB
Seems to be ST3000DM008, not the infamous ST3000DM001 so you should be fine.

You're planning to OC on the stock cooler?

I have a half problem. I really want to get that sweet phanteks smol case, and it's just 60€, but my current mother board is to bug 4 him, so I need a ITX.

Another problems is that I have an i5-4460, so upgrading and getting directly a new itx for that would be better, but I don't really have the money now.

I found a really cheap H97 or whatever for 30€ but its VGA and Ethernet are fucked. Could I just buy a USB 3.0 to Ethernet and go just fine or will it have fucking low speeds and shit?

Until desktop Raven Ridge Q1/Q2 next year

Yo guys do 144Hz monitors reduce tearing when a game is running at like 100fps?

I just want something responsive without tearing. Is G-sync the best solution?

I haven't decided on a cooler just yet. My plan was to see what sort of OC I could get on stock, and then choose my cooler from there.

PCIe Ethernet card

Higher refresh rate = less tearing at any framerate.

I'd argue any of the sync technologies are pointless with a refresh rate as high as 144Hz, there's barely any tearing.

apparently freesync/gsync make fps drops under your refresh rate less noticeable, so i'd say they're a must-have in case of 144hz monitors.

Threadripper supports quad channel memory (so 128GB) and uses the same socket as AMD's new Epyc server CPUs, so if you can find a 2 socket server motherboard, it'll work in it. But the motherboards meant for Threadripper are single socket boards

aren't Optiplexes the best choice poorfag build?
now they have 3rd gen i5/i7s

I was thinking I would only need to run games @ 60fps on a G-sync monitor to reap all the benefits of 144hz. It would be responsive and have no tearing. And it would be much easier to have games stay above 60fps, especially into the future.

I can still see it easily at 144 Hz

I would go with either one depending on if you want to use AMD or Nvidia GPUs. Maybe one day Nvidia will stop being dickheads and ungimp their cards and allow them to use FreeSync.

The stock cooler is already quite good, so you really need to go big like Noctua D15 / Cryorig R1 or at least a 240mm AIO to justify the upgrade

I already have the Nvidia card, need a monitor, so it would have to be G-sync. Does this logic make sense?

>I can still see it easily at 144 Hz
Sure, it's still there but its hardly worth losing sleep over like it is with a 60Hz display.

But where do I put my GPU then.
I just checked it, it's the H87N-WiFi mITX. It has double Ethernet port but none work, and the VGA is ded too, but if an USB 3.0 to Ethernet isn't bad at all, then I won't care. The WiFi works, tho, but I'd only use it when I'm on a LAN party or whatever.

Gotcha. I've read that the 1700s usually top out at 3.8GHz anyway, so it just depends on what voltage the chip is gonna need. Will likely go with the NH D15 eventually. Thanks for the advice!

>like dumb women
You mean dumb-acting women who will attempt to steal half of your net worth

but i already had to wait for these fucking r3's