Computer died

Hey guys, so my computer finally kicked the bucket. I'm trying to replace it, though my budget is only 500 on such short notice (I need a computer for work)
My previous computer had an
AMD-A8-5557M quad core processor
The one I'm looking at now has a
i3-6100U dual core.

Well, I figure I'll just post links to both of the computers' specs. They aren't exact, but they are as close as I could find. I will note that each laptop has 1 TB of space, 8 gb of ram.

Here's my old computer (nearly) amazon.ca/Acer-15-6-Inch-V5-552-8824-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B00I9Y5SBA

And here's the one I'm looking to replace it with (nearly):
canadalaptopreviews.com/2016/06/acer-aspire-e5-574-322e-review/
Sorry, it's the best I can find on the net (i'm buying it slightly used from a trusted computer store, but I've tested thoroughly and it seems mint)

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm downgrading, or upgrading, and if I'm upgrading, I'd like to know roughly how much better this new laptop is, or how much worse. I'm trying to understand how to really assess hardware so that when I go to buy a computer in the future, I won't have to second guess whether or not I'm being ripped off.

I don't really care about power consumption, etc. My main concerns are primarily performance. I'll be running 3D rendering software, photoshop, maybe a couple games if I get bored, and I really want to know if my computer activities are going to be hindered or boosted by this little setback.

All help is highly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

dellrefurbished.ca/laptops/dell-latitude-e6430-68727.html
amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Processor-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW?th=1
notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8550G.89651.0.html
notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-510.149943.0.html
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i3-6100U @ 2.30GHz
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD A8-5557M APU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

install gentoo

Well, one of my computers is completely dead, so I can't install on that, and I haven't made the purchase yet on the other computer. I'm typing this on my phone.

refurbished elitebook

I don't know how that relates to my question....

>my budget is only 500
it's better than any new pos you will buy

No $500 laptop will allow to do complex 3D renders, simple ones, mabye. But other than that this PC looks fine. You might be able to get a better one if you find a good deal on a used

So do you think the one I'm about to buy is better than the one I was using before? Faster? Better processing? Can you give an estimate in percentage?

dellrefurbished.ca/laptops/dell-latitude-e6430-68727.html

Get this OP. It shits all over that Acer. Or pick another from that DELL outlet.

>dellrefurbished.ca/laptops/dell-latitude-e6430-68727.html
The processor is nice, but I'd have to order it, and I need a laptop today.
I can get reimbursed for the laptop at the end of the month, so until then..

Can anyone at least tell me which is better? The old or the new one?

waitâ„¢ for raven ridge

So you don't know which is better?

Read the sticky and fuck off shitskin

Everybody laugh at this fucking idiot

Jokes on you, I just got this laptop for 100 bucks. Now I have 400 bucks to spare.

amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Processor-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW?th=1

>amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Processor-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW?th=1
Better than this one for sure, but meh, this is just a work craptop, I prefer desktops.

I'm looking at these two graphics cards.
notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8550G.89651.0.html
and
notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-510.149943.0.html

One of them has 256 pipelines, where the other only has 12. I have no idea what this means in all honesty. I'm not really a techy computer guy.

If you're buying a laptop on a low budget, the best thing to do is to buy a used business class notebook instead of a new cheap notebook.

A Lenovo Thinkpad, a Dell Latitude or an HP Elitebook.

$500 will get you a Thinkpad W530, maybe W540, that is still a monster laptop today and will crush whatever CAD applications you have in mind, and if you're that worried about the "used" factor, then a $40 new keyboard and a can of air through the vents will make it good as new.

>Using "PC broke" as an excuse to phonepost
shiggydiggy didgeridoo

Okay, so I'm supposed to go to an internet cafe?

>I'm looking for advice
>also I'm a fucking retard who isn't going to listen to your advice and I've already decided what I'm going to do
Why does everyone do this?

Just buy your shitty Wal-Mart Acer and don't make another thread in six months when that one breaks

Lol, I wasn't asking for a consumer review, I was asking how much shittier my new work system is going to be (if at all). I didn't ask for buying advice at all, though people here were quick to give it.

Nobody has even answered my question. I still have no idea which laptop is better.
I'm not asking "Which laptop is the best right now" I'm saying here are two laptops, which of the two is better.

Fuck, if I was planning on using this for 6 months, I'd spend a lot more than 500 bucks.

Might I suggest you buy the new Macbook Pro Retina, it's designed for people like you :^)

I'd rather buy a xylophone and pretend to type on it.

i3-6100U is a faster CPU than AMD-A8-5557M
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i3-6100U @ 2.30GHz
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD A8-5557M APU

Just look at the benchmark results that are lower on the page.
I'd say it's more or less even.

Performance-wise, I think it's an upgrade. Just be sure that the computer has two sticks of RAM memory (so it can work in dual channel mode), otherwise the graphic performance will be low.

Ah, now there's something useful. Thank you!

To be honest, I thought it was a major downgrade because of the graphics card.

Damn, I think this laptop has only one ram slot available.

Go to slick deals
Go to the laptop category and buy what ever laptop is on the front page on in your budget

Well the two laptops you listed are incredibly shit. Just pick the cheaper one because any laptop you could buy in person is going to be shit tier.