/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/
rinchoi.blogspot.com/2010/05/headphone-equalization.html
innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one
hauptmikrofon.de/theile/1986-3_Standardization-of-studio-headphones_JAES-1986.pdf
vbn.aau.dk/files/227876689/2008_Hammersh_i_and_M_ller_AAA.pdf
innerfidelity.com/content/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones
youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5emka1/so_hifiman_doesnt_replace_broken_parts_anymore/
innerfidelity.com/content/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones#64FStg3iyg2mvOiv.99
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/etymotic-er4xr-and-er4sr-measurement.2689/
ebay.com/itm/272428465695
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*snap*

reposting since old thread went down:
headphone cable wont stay straight and keeps getting tangled. how do i fix this? 3m cable was a mistake

Keep it short with velcro

At what price do the HF5/HF3 become a better value than the MK5?

3DS guy from previous thread. I need a micro sized headphone amp mainly used for portable gaming. I'm talking FiiO A1 size. I've heard mixed things about the A1 so does anyone have any recommendations. The micro size is the most important factor.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Judging from pics, you might want to look into the Schiit Fulla 2.

>The maker of this thread is a literal shillheiser faggot

I'm dying. This is fucking great.

>Schiit
Is this a mad TV parody of the FiiO?

>WAAAAHHHH DONT TALK TO PLEBSPOTTERS HE DOESNT LIKE THE HD600S WAAAAHHHH

this is why /hpg/ is cancer.

Just a funky named company.

head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/
Lol @ posting without the trip.

>I-It's him! I swear it's him! He's just posting without it!

It's hilarious that I've reduced the shillheisers to paranoid schizoids.

>when the creator of this thread is a shillheiser sperglord and hates the tripfag on the sole basis that he doesn't like the veil600s

>Don't talk to plebspotters

He's provided better tech support and more suggestions than most of the Sennheiser shitposters here.

are senn hd201's still worth it?

>the tripfag has angered the Sennheiser overlords for his heretic views

Any opinions on the Oppo PM-3 for a fairly neutral closed travel headphones?

Heh, tripfag's shitposting at full capacity, every time the enforced delay between posts expires.

>D-DONT TALK TO MY PERSONAL BOOGEYMAN HE DOESNT LIKE MY VEILED $300 SHITCANS

Friendly reminder that the hd600s are overpriced, veiled, lumpy mids memecans exclusively recommended by weebs and shitposters who don't listen to music, and much better headphones can be had at cheaper prices.

buy the FiiO from Amazon and return it if it doesn't satisfies you.

Pretty sure anything is a major improvement over the 3DS's weak ass amp.

I did just that. I'm excited to finally fucking hear 3DS music for once.

Pay no mind to the anti-Sennheiser shills they don't even own headphones

Didn't a Sennheiser shill confirm last thread he didn't even own a pair of hd600s that he praised for about 5 posts?

This is a reminder that DiPolarDisorder is a shitposting troll who intentionally spreads factually incorrect misinformation such as "hrtf graphs have an inverse relationship with how a headphone should measure," refuses to back up his claims with credible evidence because he cannot and tells anyone who proves him wrong they "can't read." His HRTF claim has been thoroughly debunked by:
rinchoi.blogspot.com/2010/05/headphone-equalization.html
innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one
hauptmikrofon.de/theile/1986-3_Standardization-of-studio-headphones_JAES-1986.pdf
vbn.aau.dk/files/227876689/2008_Hammersh_i_and_M_ller_AAA.pdf
Do not take anything he says seriously, especially headphone recommendations.
>in b4 he falsely claims he has debunked these links while refusing to link to said "debunking"

Is an AMP necessary for HD6xx? I really don't want any more cables to tangle up at my desk.

No

>I gushed in my HE400S review, in some ways I preferred it over the HD 600. Comparing the HE4XX to the HD 600 again today I've got to say I still think it's better in some ways. The HD 600 is smoother and more liquid sounding, but it's got that veil, and the long hump in the bass/lower-mids response does give it a thick coloration compared to the HE4XX. Treble is a bit more strident in the HE4XX, and the presence area is a little more withdrawn, but bass extension and midrange neutrality are better than the HD 600. Bottom line: both are very good cans. But that price difference! People should be yelling, "Take my money!"

innerfidelity.com/content/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

ITS THE BOOGEYMAN RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! HE DOESNT LIKE OUR FAVORITE HEADPHONE REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>but it's got that veil
Tyll is a veil

Another "don't listen to him/them" source for the shillheiser thought police to add to the list. Alongside rtings that put the hifiman headphones above the meme600s

>Hifiman build quality and customer service

Disregard this, I should've dug into the pastebin a bit deeper. I just found what I'm looking for actually, (ATH-IM02s). Thanks anyway, and sorry for the premature post.

See

Hey what headphones do you own bro?

Heir audio 4ais
Etymotic er-4xr
Status audio cb-1
Phillips shp9500s
I owned he-400s for about a year, ended up trading them to a friend for the heir audio IEMs because I wanted something portable

HD600 will never snap if you do youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U the headphones are completely modular with every single part replaceable and Sennheiser's customer service is excellent. You are shit out of luck if a Hifiman breaks, which it will, most likely at the fragile hinge.

Discuss.

Reminder that DiPolarDisorder, on top of being a lying shitposter, shills headphones he doesn't even own.

Template:

>$50-$75
>US
>Motherboard (Or can buy a preamp if needed)
>Full Headphones
>Closed
>Med-High
>Steelseries Siberia, other crap 'gaming' headsets.

So the only over ears you own is poorfag shit?

>I own/have owned almost every headphone I recommend
>The exception are the ath stuff which I have heard or friends have owned.

Whatever fits your narrative.

>Grado References belong on the short list of greatest headphones in the world
Into the trash it goes.

>Poorfag shit
You mean good value? Why am I going to spend big $$$$ for memecans when I can just listen to what actual imaging sounds like on much nicer loudspeakers?

HE-400S =/= HE400i and HE4xx, which you shill constantly.
Pic and timestamp of headphone collection.

lol your speakers look like a cheap table fans

Sure, when I'm home.

>he shills shoddily built chinkshit he doesn't even own
laughinganimegirl.gif

>K701s "world's greatest headphones"
Lol wut?

Dat hurt my Fifi's :^(

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5emka1/so_hifiman_doesnt_replace_broken_parts_anymore/
>Been emailing HiFiMAN about the prospect of replacing a broken headband on my out of warranty HE-400's - willing to pay of course. According to customer support they don't sell the headbands separately anymore, even for a replacement part?
>and this is why you buy from a reputable company like sennheiser that still offer replacement parts of 20 year old headphones instead of a Chinese company with horrible QC issues and customer support.
Really activates the almonds.

Came in here trying to figure out what kind of over ears to buy below $120 but all i got was autism

Pls respond.

TSF a cute. A cute!

Ath-m40x
Status audio cb-1
Sony mdr-v6

>Plebbit source

She's the series' one redeeming quality.

Wasn't he talking about iems worn over-ear?

At no price. MK5 are significantly sonically superior and are a great value.

/r/headphones has a lot less shitposting than /hpg/ and I don't think anyone can argue this point. /hpg/ is likely the worst source of headphone discussion/information on the internet.

HD600s BTFO and forever REKT

>I gushed in my HE400S review, in some ways I preferred it over the HD 600. Comparing the HE4XX to the HD 600 again today I've got to say I still think it's better in some ways. The HD 600 is smoother and more liquid sounding, but it's got that veil, and the long hump in the bass/lower-mids response does give it a thick coloration compared to the HE4XX. Treble is a bit more strident in the HE4XX, and the presence area is a little more withdrawn, but bass extension and midrange neutrality are better than the HD 600. Bottom line: both are very good cans. But that price difference! People should be yelling, "Take my money!"

innerfidelity.com/content/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones#64FStg3iyg2mvOiv.99

>every part replaceable with excellent Sennheiser customer service vs. shitty chinkshit build and shittier chinkshit customer service
>BTFO
Nah.

Old people would probably prefer the HE400i or HE4XX because it has treble spikes to make up for their deafness in that range.

>every single part needs to be replaceable on snaphiesers because of the shitty material quality they use
Lmao

I'm thinking of getting me some Apple AirPods. They look very comfortable. I like that I can just leave one in at a time and not have a bunch of shit hanging down.

Is this a bad idea? Are there any other BT headphones that are as modular with better sound quality?

>the shitty retard tripfag actually shills this fragile chinkshit even though he doesn't even own it

I legitimately wonder if Tyll's hearing is going. Four years ago he said the HD600 isn't veiled.

>plebs shill this shitty chinkshit because of cognitive dissonance
Lmao

Would a HF5/HF3 with impedance adapter be a lot better than MK5? I think so.

>made in Ireland
>chinkshit

>Etymotic er-4xr
Are they worth it?

>drunken potatonigger shit using materials sourced from chinkland
No wonder they snap all the time lmao

Depends on intended use. The lack of earhook makes them unsuitable for active use (the reason I own the heir audio 4ais) and they absolutely need aftermarket eartips, but they sound crystal clear and the bass bump helps with certain genres.

>Materials made in Ireland. Then shipped to China for final assembly

Just need great noise isolation for working and travelling really, ER-4S/XR will probably be my end game IEMs

Oh absolutely then.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

ER-4SR are better and more accurate. ER-4XR defeats the point of Etymotic, which is accuracy. See: superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/etymotic-er4xr-and-er4sr-measurement.2689/

I don't understand.

source for your claim?

>taking any advice from a tripfag
Yeah I'll pass

What's the 2nd most plebeian headphones after the HD600?

your mom

How much of a pleb am I?

What aftermarket tips do you use?

Are you black?

HF5 + Impedance adapter = ER4S
ebay.com/itm/272428465695

HD580

I have no complaints about waifu.

But the headphones are a bit melanin-enriched.

Comply. The memory foam is comfy and it seals better imho

You should set them on fire, like you did with your cornwalls, wat.

>Implying I'm the same plebspotter
>Implying I'm going to light $3500 speakers gifted to me from my job on fire

I'm sorry the hd600s suck but you should really stop projecting.

Yeah bro the HD600s suck, beats are so much better.

How do I know if I need a DAC?

By knowing whether your source is analog or digital.

Please post a source to where I've ever recommended beats by Dr pepper

He just did.

I mean External dac

How do I know if I need an EXTERNAL dac

get on my level

Just search the archive.