What is it with French people not liking non-native speakers speaking French?

Why do some French people have such a shitty attitude towards non-native French-speakers when it comes to speaking the language? Are they just simply so proud of their language that when someone doesn't speak it perfectly they get pissed? Not all French people are like that, obviously, but the general attitude annoys me. As a French language student I know that learning to speak comes through practice. Then you try for example ordering food in French and they immediately switch to English when they hear you're not a native speaker. What are everyone's thoughts on this, have you experienced the same?

We know french is a pain in the ass to learn. So when some stranger is struggling to speak it we switch to english or to another language so that it doesn't take 15 minutes to the non french speaker to ask for a street or order a coffee.

Also it's a myth that we'd mock somebody trying to speak french, in fact it's the opposite, if you go full english mode without even trying to speak french people will be upset, if you just say "bonjour" or "excusez-moi ?" then switch to english, people will be pleased because you made the effort to speak french, so they'll make the effort to speak english.

Though, we are proud of our language, I don't understand why it'd be a bad thing. Our language is part of our identity, we want to preserve it.

Don't know, I'm not from Paris, we don't really have foreigners, here.

This.
Continue to learn our language, we are always pleased to hear a stranger putting the effort to speak French. We just switch to English to gain time

>Our language is part of our identity, we want to preserve it.
Yeah that's why two thirds of the country can't even write it properly.

>Yeah that's why two thirds of the country can't even write it properly.
>what is a living language ?

Oh, I see. And no, I fully understand why you are proud of your language, you know, it's famous for being one of the most beautiful languages in the world. I myself am not that good in speaking French so with my skills it's easy to understand why the French switch to French in most situations but I know many people who are fluent and have no difficulties finding the right words, but aren't native - still they have experienced these situations. They've told it's kinda frustrating having learned the language and then not being able to use it because of what we're talking about. Maybe it's just a worldwide misunderstanding in how you treat non-native speakers and therefore some view the French as rude towards foreigners, dunno. An interesting topic.

Gay immediately get piss off.

sigh

This has happened to me in a recent trip and at the end of the voyage whenever you lot tried to do this I was like:
>Desolé, mais je ne parle pas l'anglais
Outthought frenchies :^)

I do that too, switching to english when i see the foreigner struggling. I didn't think it would be perceive as a bad thing, but I kind of get your point now. We should be more patient

Don't worry, I feel bad too when a foreigner switch to french when I try to speak English with him.

Ordnung muss sein

Welp wrong mehmeh

This is meme-free accurate post, people

Whattu did he meanu by thisu

We can only speculate

Austrians do it too tbqh

>implying
french people are very patronizing and will laugh at the face of someone that doesn't speak french properly, admit it.

Although it is more true for white people, asians, arabs and blacks get a pass.

>Let
>Me
>Tell
>You
>About
>Your
>Country

>So when some stranger is struggling to speak it we switch to english or to another language so that it doesn't take 15 minutes to the non french speaker to ask for a street or order a coff

How is this true when French people are shit at foreign languages. My French is rough but just as good as most Frenchies I've spoken to in France

moor genes

>Our language is part of our identity, we want to preserve it.

Yeah, but fuck preserving the identity of the other regions, right?

don't be retarded luigi, occitania been assimilated more than 120 years ago.

Young people can speak english, but don't have too much hope with the 30+yo people.

Thanks for proving my point, retard.

Well done nippon.

That's the main reasons why I hate France and French nationalists.

Keep plugging away at it Finland bro, don't be disheartened. Try looking online for Frogs that want to learn Finnish and you can do a language exchange, it's the best way to improve.
Another memorable contribution from Japan

Do tell me how actual, modern italian didnt assimilate any other local dialect.

We like it, it's cute, but we love correcting you.

>RYU GA WAGA TEKI WO KURAU

So the South ?
I thought Southerners were cool guys

>Occitanie

A Commie meme and a mere amalgamation of(pic related)

Misleading pic, the "regular" Occitan is indeed the one in red in this pic, the Languedocian one, but Gascon, Provençal, Auvergnat etc are all dialects of Occitan

Cannot confirm OP. German here. Once made a camping trip to France and explained to the campsite Lady that my family would be arriving later but I have already found a spot I liked, no problem. Visited my sis studying in Spain and living with a french girl, she and a an italian girl also living there were like "oh Germans are so smart omg!" whe I started speaking french. And my french is only very basic, far from the level of my english. And really, why would anyone mock a foreigner who honestly attempts to speak a country's language?