/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=73lt7Fqo5Yk
joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/
drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/conversation-with-anselm-r-garbe-of-suck/228700066
pastebin.com/GQPnUi7d
linkedin.com/in/anselmgarbe
github.com/yegor256/eo
quora.com/How-good-is-Bill-Gates-at-math
joelonsoftware.com/2005/05/11/making-wrong-code-look-wrong/
youtube.com/watch?v=DBXZWB_dNsw
lab.madscience.nl/oo.sh.txt
wp.subnetzero.org/?p=269
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Pascal!

youtube.com/watch?v=73lt7Fqo5Yk

asking this again
>100,000++ line 1.5 year old application
>I became the lead developer halfway through
>written entirely by interns
>costing states 100s of thousands of dollars with bugs
>just given permission to write integration tests now
>just getting a decent QA strategy now
>just given permission to introduce PRs now
>code is riddled with duplication and anti patterns and terrible error handling and terrible UX
has anyone had a project that recovered from worse?

So how am I supposed to use type traits? With static asserts?

Tell your boss that it'll be cheaper to just start from scratch.

t. NEET

100000++ lines is not you fizzbuzz one-liner

im making a pc buzzer midi player

joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

Prefer rewriting from scratch to fixing. This is suckless philosophy.

drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/conversation-with-anselm-r-garbe-of-suck/228700066

Fuck off.

Post beautiful code, i'll start:
fn main() {
assert!((|||||||||||||x|true||x)()()()()()()(false));
}

The argument for money is stronger than anything your boss might say against it. Convince them that it will literally be cheaper and they will agree.

Employ TSP (Team Software Process). It's the only process focused primarily on software quality rather than speed of development.

pastebin.com/GQPnUi7d

not enough {}()

>suckless
Dropped

There are about 20 layers of bureaucracy
I would need to get through just to dream about starting from scratch.

The least you can do is try.

>joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/
This is written by a multi-millionaire, StackOverflow founder.
This is an opinion of a German cuck.

Isn't capitalism great?

>he prefixes his pointers with p

>he has more money, therefore he's right
The fact that the people who wrote shit software like Netscape became millionaires just goes to show how capitalism is shit.

Also, Garbe is very successful himself, so fuck off with your pointless fallacies...

It is. It fucks up idiots who try to rewrite large codebases with little-to-no return.

Working on a nigger emoji chain builder. The program takes length of emoji chain and print random nigger emojis to the stdout.

You're obviously a software engineering midget.

Go to Russia commie fuck. Enjoy new sanctions.

>he doesn't use superior Hungarian notation

there is literally NO point to hung notation in le current year

You're obviously a NEET.
>doesn't own his own company
lol, literally a wagecuck who is working for someone else instead of making his own fortune. Someone has to be there to protect him from his own autism

It is when you work in a dynamically typed language, pal.

can someone break down what this does?

that's why they are garbage languages and all academia that keeps pushing this shit should be rounded up and hanged from lampposts

No, I use Hungarian notation in kernel modules, fight me irl.

They're used in the industry too, stop pretending to know anything, you're obviously a NEET

You must love Bill Gates and Microsoft then, cuck.

Just a bunch of nested closures

Literally anything by Yegor Bugayenko.

I love people who are smart enough to compete in the market and don't need a nanny manager to guide them.

You're laughing now, but soon you will see true, elegant OOP: github.com/yegor256/eo

can you break it down for me?

>They're used in the industry too, stop pretending to know anything, you're obviously a NEET

Healthy young student goes to college, gets pumped with massive shot of many shit languages, doesn't feel good and changes - INDUSTRIAL STANDARD. Many such cases!

The fact that every other hip new startup used to (or still is) pumping ruby on rails just because it's hip, it doesn't mean it's good technology

>muh market
You don't have to be smart to compete in the market. You just have to be dishonest, not care about morals and be willing to cheat. Just like Bill Gates and Microsoft did. Capitalism doesn't reward excellence, it rewards foul play.

You have to be smart and competent to create robust quality stuff like Linux, which according to your criteria, isn't as great as Windows because it hasn't made as much money or isn't as popular, even though it is objectively a superior piece of software.

Stay mad.

>writes mad posts
>stay mad
really fires up those neural signals senpai

>Healthy young student goes to college, gets pumped with massive shot of many shit languages, doesn't feel good and changes - INDUSTRIAL STANDARD. Many such cases!
Are we recycling Trump memes now?

>The fact that every other hip new startup used to (or still is) pumping ruby on rails just because it's hip,
I hope you're joking, because Ruby on Rails hasn't been hip in about 10-15 years.Tells how much you know about the industry.

It's equivalent to something like
fn main() {
let clos1 = |x| true || x;
let clos2 = || clos1;
assert!(clos2()(false));
}

just with deeper nesting

Imagine being this much of a corporate bootlicker and unironically believing quality software actually succeeds under capitalism.

True, I don't know shit about webshit. It's just to prove a point

We get it, you dislike Hungarian notation and you invent arguments for defending your view rather than just admitting that you simply don't like it.

I'm not new to Sup Forums you know.

>You just have to be dishonest, not care about morals and be willing to cheat.
ROFL. The world would be fucking filled with billionaires if that were true.

No. Being dishonest and not caring about morals is being smart enough to realize the nihilistic nature of the world and make full use of it.

>You have to be smart and competent to create robust quality stuff like Linux
You have to be even smarter to see and correctly measure trade-offs between complexity and their worth, to find what people need and do it their way, not what you find easier to implement.

>robust quality stuff
>Linux
LOL. Linux is utter crap. You want a robust kernel? Try SEL4.

>SEL4
You've just proved yourself wrong.

If it's so great, then why is it not widespread?

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it isn't great. I'm dismantling your false premise that the market rewards excellence.

>The world would be fucking filled with billionaires if that were true.
I'm sure all those Wall Street bankers are super righteous people, user.

>You have to be even smarter to see and correctly measure trade-offs between complexity and their worth, to find what people need and do it their way, not what you find easier to implement.
I'm sure that's what Gates did with DOS and Windows and Office.

Stay deluded.

Where is you're wikipedia page?

>philosopher and entrepreneur
AKA an "ideas guy"

Also, what the hell is up with his sweater. I can smell the autism from over here.

You sound like a faggot commie.

>everything i don't like is p/pol/

fuck outta here

Because I judge people based on their technical prowess rather than on how much money they've got?

Top logic, m8.

>If it's so great, then why is it not widespread?
It's great by your standards. You prioritize technical excellence over pragmatism, which is retarded. You should be an artist, not a programmer. Why aren't you using SEL4 instead of Linux? Or did I misunderstand you and you are using Windows?

>I'm sure all those Wall Street bankers are super righteous people, user.
No they're not and I did not imply they were. They superior people than most other people, though.

>I'm sure that's what Gates did with DOS and Windows and Office.
Yes, he did not write it from scratch. Still a better programmer and a smarter person than you or that German guy.
quora.com/How-good-is-Bill-Gates-at-math

>It's great by your standards.
I know. And just as I expected, you missed the point. You're not an intelligent person. But I already knew that from the fact that you judge people based on how much money they have.

>Still a better programmer and a smarter person than you or that German guy.
How about we compare him to his contemporary and rival Gary Kildall? Who was obviously more competent than him, but was commercially defeated by Microsoft's foul practices?

You admire the wrong people.

Bill Gates is just one example, but I could mention others like Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook or a plethora of other rich fucks.

I'm usually a fan of Joel on software, but a lot of his points about not rewriting might not apply here.

His main points are that poorly written code is usually bug fixes, and that older code isn't all bad, because it's battle-tested.

From what the original user said, it sounds like there are still a lot of existing bugs, and 1.5 years isn't that long of a real world presence.

That said, you should be sure that a rewrite is definitely the best option. It might be best to come up with an idea of how the architecture of the program should ideally look. Then consider again whether you really need to rewrite, or whether refactoring the current codebase will produce a similar result in less time.

Hungarian notation can actually be useful (and not just for dynamically typed languages), but basically Microsoftruined it, so that most people use it wrong. Worth a read if you have time:
joelonsoftware.com/2005/05/11/making-wrong-code-look-wrong/

does bash support OOP?

>61712369
>And just as I expected, you missed the point.
You missed the point. The point was if you truly appreciated technical excellence, you would be using those "technical excellence" programs. And your previous posts suggested you are using the Linux kernel, which is objectively inferior to SEL4. Why? Because without even realizing it, you prefer commodity over this "technical prowess", as you say. You're just virtue signalling.

>Gary Kildall
Literally who? Probably some fag who doesn't know how marketing and real world knows. That is, someone who is incompetent in selling his product.

>doesn't even know who Kildall was
I'm done with you. Enjoy your delusion.

[cont.]

The point is, that fundamentally, capitalism is *always* right. The *best* product gets the most marketshare. Linux was *objectively* worse from a simple users perspective. Linux is objectively *better* from server's perspective, and the marketshare respects that.

>capitalism is always right
Imagine actually believing this.

>Imagine having money and not being a worthless NEET
>Imagine having sex and not being a virgin

Plenty of shit for you to imagine too.

does he dreams in code too?
youtube.com/watch?v=DBXZWB_dNsw

>the marketshare respects that

>unironically using the term virtue signaling

I'm using python been studying for a few weeks. I am considering making a text adventure game as my first project. The thing that comnfuses me is, code for projects are online but is it right to use bits and pieces from it when making a project? I want to learn how to do it on my own without taking someone's work. Or is it better to learn by just doing this?

This is what you get when mindless corporate drones and MBA retards get to make decisions based on the latest buzzwords

Technocracy is just another word for communism.

lab.madscience.nl/oo.sh.txt

>corporate drones
B-but capitalism is always right, user!

What do you gain from embarrassing yourself online?

>he can't understand basic concepts
>using the word unironically
>>>/highschool/

You sound frustrated.

>What do you gain from embarrassing yourself online?

I could honestly ask you the same question.

You sound buttblasted.

>Ruby on Rails hasn't been hip in about 10-15 years

Get back to paying attention in class, Albert.

RoR is the de-facto start-up standard in SV right now.

I'm not the one tripfagging.

Wow, you sure showed me. How will I ever recover?

not really.

Hey guys!
Janny here. Shut the fuck up because my dad works at Sup Forums and he's gonna ban you all.

i want to start on the dialogue & negotiation portion of a cyberpunk game and would like to have all the different values and such modularized to different characters instead of all in one massive heap, would i need to use this to do that or is there a better way? i've never programmed in bash

fuck outta here snowflake

>Technocracy is just another word for communism.
Uh, no. Greece is currently a capitalist technocracy because of it's financial crisis, they invoked some kind of clause in their constitution.

why bash?

just another language

>g-go away y-you snowflake!
Corporate shills literally on the verge of tears at this point.

bash because i want to get better at it. i include it on my resume but i'm really not good at it

you can look how other people wrote games in bash for example

wp.subnetzero.org/?p=269

Why is unicodes are such a pain in the as in C++?
How am I supposed to print nigger emojis?

Damn, sleep deprivation

does perl 6 have a future since perl has fallen out of favor? at least with 5, there are jobs maintaining already written code

>perl
nobody cares

atleast he's rich, better than most of these other "prodigies"

its small community is now trying to change it's name from perl to rakudo, which would kill it even more since at least peoples names perk up when they hear perl. it'll just be another no name hipster language. so no

not NEETs like you, that's for sure

RIP

Americans need to go back to their containment board.

>a language needs to be on TIOBE

nigga pls

i don't see FORTRAN there either, yet pays your weight in gold