What's your experience with this?

What's your experience with this?

How long did it take you to complete, and does it make you more powerful at linux?

Read the book for a bit. Skimmed the rest.

It's a meme, and a waste of time.

That background is fitting

Why do you think this? It seems like a fun thing to do just for the sake of doing it.

Everyone shills it here, but no one is technically competent enough actually do it.

This barely gets a mention on Sup Forums though. People sporadically mentions it in posts, but nobody goes in depth about it.

Never understood this 'autism speaks' thing. Autists barely say anything to anyone.

I did this once, but it always bug me that I didn't start.

Gentoo is better

> but no one is technically competent enough actually do it.

It's just copy-pasting code snippets into a terminal and waiting for compiles to finish. Shit's about as complicated as Gentoo except it takes 200 commands rather than 3 to set it up.

The really hard part about making a distribution is coming up with a cohesive system and package manager. Compiling shit and dumping it on a filesystem is not complicated.

yet no one ever seems to use it here....

If compiling GCC three times in a row along with several other programs is your idea for fun go right ahead.
At least Gentoo only makes you compile the Kernel, and you really aren't even required to do that.

I'm waiting for wayland to stabilize and get used more because holy fuck xorg takes forever to compile and any other X11 implementations aren't being worked on anymore so I'm stuck with xorg

That's a common misconception, they just say the wrong things.

Did it first successfully when I was 8 year olds.
It's interesting, great pastime. Teaches some basic things.

Using it on a raspberry pi for Kodi
tried to do some other shit like playing Doom
> Carefully follow instructions on how to build Chocolate Doom
> Literally copy-paste commands from the wiki
> It still fails
Linux is a meme

Also, here's how to run Doom on Windows
> Download source-based port like GZDoom
> Unzip files
> Copy wads to GZDoom folder
> Drag wad to gzdoom.exe
> it jus werkz

Did you compile xorg or not, if not you need to compile sdl2 to use framebuffer.

What do you use now?

Use a distro like Ubuntu if you want just weeks. You're a fucking shill if you call Linux a meme because you use lfs on a radio and then complain when shit doesn't work

That says less about the technological capabilities of the people on this site than the fact that not using a package manager for autism purposes is retarded.

Wasted 100+ hours of my life as a teenager on it. At the time it seemed like a good idea, but at this point I couldn't tell you what it taught me that I didn't learn previous or subsequently from more practical things.

If you're not willing to autist yourself into it for a long time, it's probably not worth your while. Just doing LFS from some total hand-holdy book or guide isn't going to impart you with much. You do it to fail, repeatedly, not to succeed.

Totally worth it if you have the time and some Linux knowledge already. That feel when you start using your BLFS system as your main.

>That feel when you start using your BLFS system as your main.
This is interesting. What kind of linux knowledge do you need before you start? I was under the impression that you'll learn what you need by going through the lfs build.
How long did it take you to complete lfs, and then blfs?