BREAKING: ThreadRipper has Two Dies Disabled

Shocking news today as it was revealed AMD's ThreadRipper CPU's will ship with only two of it's four dies active. The other two advertised dies are simply spacers so that the IHS can sit on the two active dies with equal pressure. What this means for performance is unclear at this point, but it is likely that ThreadRipper will not perform up to the standard of AMD's advertised spec.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/overclocker-delids-an-amd-ryzen-threadripper-chip-and-finds-epyc-inside/
twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/870388109812355072
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is terrible and anti-consumer. Not only do AMD simply glue cores together, but they have attempted to deceive their customers into thinking TR is 4 dies when it is only 2.

I was thinking about buying TR, but after this news I'll be buying an Intel 7900X instead.

Nice try, Shlomo.

SOPA

Wtf i love intel now

This is awful, I can't believe they thought they would get away with this. I'm glad I went with Intel's X299 platform, not only does it deliver consistent performance but it's from a manufacturer I can trust.

source?

I want the Intel and AMD shills to fuck off back to Sup Forums.

AMD once more just bodges together a CPU and attempts to sell it as an enthusiast-grade product.

I'll be buying an Intel i9 instead.

>you wouldn't download 16 extra cores

They've been saying it was two dies from the start.

Days till enthusiast find a way to enable them:
On a side note, that's binning at works, and the performance will be exactly as advertised. If it's true at all.

it was good times when I bought a Phenom X2 and unlocked the dormant cores with no issues.

They just want to give Intela chance. AMD beats them with two dies disabled. Imagine what would happen if they enabled them.

>there will be a "I haven't even shown you my true power" episode
Can't wait.

They're probably just metal spacers user, their purported yields are too good to have enough bad cores to use them in this, and why would they anyway?

>AMD did this on purpose so they can bring out 24 and 32 core Threadrippers next gen.

Brilliant, absolutely fucking brilliant.

in b4 they're just baiting intel to release their thread ripper killer to reveal their true power level by patching this thing up to 32 cores/64 threads

>$2000 32 core TR
>$2000 2ghz 28 core i9 (xeon gold kek)

Lies. If two of the "dies" were just spacers there never were 4 dies to begin with. Circular logic at work

Not just circular logic, they are flat out lying.

whats with the outsourcing of shillness to brasil?
india is too expensive now?

I want /ptg/ to fuck off back to

I cant tell anymore if this is actual shilling, or satire, Im losing my godamn mind WTF

pcgamer.com/overclocker-delids-an-amd-ryzen-threadripper-chip-and-finds-epyc-inside/

Better with a link who actually explain something ...
Op is just an intel fag

Intel isn't the kind of company you would buy from if there were an acceptable alternative, hence the desperation.

Shhh. This is old news.

Damn, guess i'm buying Intel® © Core™℠℗ i9-7900X™ X-series™ Processor® (13.75M Cache, up to 4.30 GHz) 14 nm SSE4.1 FCLGA2066 with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 instead

You forgot Poland.

t. beawesome

For fun. Who wouldn't want a sleeper chip with an oshit button?

AMD could literally shit in my mouth and I would still consider them better than intel at this point.

IDGAF about disabled dies, as long as Threadripper makes Shittel suffer I'll be happy.

>AMD could literally shit in my mouth and I would still consider them better than intel at this point.
Lisa Su could have shit in my mouth on the release of FX-Piledriver and I would have taken it gleefully, what a hottie.

AMD already debunked this. It's two dies + two dummies that are only there to keep pressure on the socket symmetrical.

there's a reason /prog/ was deleted, why didn't you get the message and gtfo the site

sage goes in all fields for obvious intel shills

This is not breaking and the shill is very obvious.

I thought it was just epyc's that didn't make the cut, repackaged as desktop processors

I think TR is just the shittier binned EYPC dies, and they are using the 4 die PCB just for cost/simplicities sake.

I might be wrong though.

Oh you mean for die count, no it's definey just 2 dies, the other two are just blocks of metal. EYPC will have 4 dies.

UMA DELICIA

God damn
You pay for a more expensive motherboard
You pay for that gigant monstrosity with half pins dead
At least I'm using Intel it's not a second grade high latency crappy product

That's terrible! Just glued together and the half of it disabled! I'm definitely going to buy an X299 motherboard, together with an Intel® Core™ i9-7900X processor. Intel i9 processors are much better for megatasking too.

Fuck me is this entire thread full of Indian cash for comment shysters or what?

nice source you provided here
do you really think you can fool a smart board like Sup Forums with tricks like this?

I like to believe Sup Forums has finally discovered sarcasm but I'm not 100% sure.

half of it is just Sup Forums pretending to be shills but i wouldnt be suprised if the other half is actual shills

You can never tell with the retards around here.

It's cheaper and easier for them to just manufacture Threadripper the same way as Epyc. Plus it makes sense for future expansion, as I'd be shocked if we didn't see a 32c/64t Threadripper within 18 months, be it on the current process or a 7nm refresh. They've got a package size in place that will allow the full four dies without needing a socket change or major redesign.

>I was thinking about buying TR, but after this news I'll be buying an Intel 7900X instead.

I, too, will settle for less while paying more

Why does this matter

That doesn't mean less performance at all

EPYC.

It matters because it's hilarious. There's no reason they couldn't have designed a regular die setup, instead they went with this. Unless they're lying, and there really are disabled dies, which would be even more hilarious.

Probably just to save cash between epin manufacturing

>There's no reason they couldn't have designed a regular die setup
It's less expensive to do it this way.

you know, retard..

Smaller dies = higher yield = lower cost.

If you put two smaller dies in a cpu instead of one big die, it's cheaper to manufacture.

>The other two advertised dies

>ThreadRipper will not perform up to the standard of AMD's advertised spec.

nice made up shit. This is means it will perform better since there'll be less latency.

>intel uses shit tim and segregates features to save money
>amd uses server setup and just attaches half of the socket pins to save money

One of these is fucking stupid, the other is standard practice, even dante's infernolake-x is only attaching 4/6 memory channels and 44(28) out of 48 pcie lanes from the cpu through the socket.

Where did I say anything about one big die? You can't read for shit, and I'm the retard?

Yeah! Fuck Risa Su, she dumb dumb! Fuck Inter too! AMD and Intel processor too roud and hot! Buy VIA quad core with integrated graphics now!

Maybe dies with broken memory controller or IF.

Thank you based VIA.

twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/870388109812355072

If this guy is right, then the production doesn't cost them much anyways. Would actually make sense: AMD only has 2 versions to make: Ryzen 3/5/7 chips and Threadripper/Epyc chips. After that they can just disable stuff down the line.
IIRC Ryzen has really good yields too.

I just don't know anymore. Are you genuinely retarded? It's not even amusing assuming you're pretending to be retarded.

Nah, I don't think AMD would release a 24 core TR this gen. Leave that for Zen2 next year or some shit.

One question... Where the FUCK is my sauce?

Dera8uer took the lid off one. All you need to know is the part about performance is bullshit.

Excellent bait.

Was AMD trying to imply you could unlock a 16core TR to a 32c epic?

Or is this an Intel false flag?

No, they're lasered and disabled. You can't unlock them.

With all the glue you can make a toy rupee in home too
Just have to use
2 zen dies
2 burned zen dies or whatever shit
tons of glue
a slab of metal to make ihs

Instructions
Get all the fucking toy dies
Put on a shitstrate
Apply glue. Try to keep all the dies aligned
Let it dry on sun
Grab some iron and solder all the mess to the metal is

Nice now you have an amd toy rupee made at home!
Don't forget to use thermal paste, we suggest organic Indian paste for best results

Where do I go user.

I've been so lost for so long.

Please tell me where the promised land is.

>inb4 goatdicker
>inb4 freeshitwarefoundation
>inb4 dead boards

Do you simmer it over an OCed 7900X?
>leddit xDDDDDDD