Solar roof

> yfw Tesla's solar roof looks aesthetic

We're totally going full solar.

f only it were actually affordable

Looks like plastic shit.

It's been estimated that it takes about 10 years for it to start recouping costs, even after state rebates.

It's cheap
> Tesla has priced them at an average of $21.85 per square foot, bringing them down to below the cost of a normal roof.

They must be selling them at a loss.

>stronger
>cheaper
>aesthetic
>combined with Tesla battery pack makes your home and car autonomous

Elon musk is unironically the best human being

Looks ok, actually.

LOL, so what you little dipshit?

A bit like a mortgage on an investment apartment

You can cover any surface with this shit for cheap. It's not like clumsy glass panels.
People will be building sheds and shit to maximize energy productions for their cars and homes.

thats not particularly cheap but also not so bad if installation isnt insane. also if its durability and longevity is reasonable.

its almost a shame all my trees drop my propertys solar potential to near zero

Obviously it's cost saving for new houses and those that need renovation. Like everything new it'll take time to spread.

During that time you don't have electricity bills, though. So instead of finacing miilions of dollars income for electricity provider ceos and managers you are investing that money in your own property.

>480x223
>3.43 MB
>.gif
If you didn't want to be taken seriously you could have just not posted.

So if every home has these solar shingles we could . . . . put one fossil plant on standby for a bit, till the general demand completely offsets it.
Well I guess. At least it ought to shut Al Gore up some.

>every home has these
>one fossil plant
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Ask a solar wholesaler anything
>QCELLS is top tier
>enphase is actually shit
>LG Chem > Tesla Powerwall 2
>Jinko is junk

I will never own a electric car specifically because it can't beat the sound of a internal combustion engine

what's the best sweet spot panel?
balance between efficiency and cost/area

Why are Koreans so advanced? If they were an English speaking country they would dominate new tech development.

>((((green)))) energy
everything is going according to plan

It can save some energy but it's not useful on it's own.
I use solar energy, two small wind turbines, diy running water electricity generator and huge ass batteries and still run out of energy sometimes.

>Inb4 why tho?
I live in the middle of nowhere and having electricity and water arrive to my home is a lot more expensive

tfw yuropoor
tfw no sun anyway

>not wanting to live in a home that doesn't depend on energy companies
>not wanting a home that can power your car and not depend on oil companies

Here's your (((you))).

>and Al Gore is so fat
> and sounds boring
> he wears Autumn colors

Guess that's /thread. Your arguments have blown everyone else in the world the fuck out.

Trina is ok but recently they went private (not listed on NASDAQ anymore or whatever) , they tried to re-list on the Chinese stock market but were unsuccessful. I'd be worried about their financial future so I'd probably not buy panels on the basis that they might not be around for the 25 year linear warranty. Canadian Solar perform really well and are probably in the same price range as Trina or maybe 1-2 cents per watt more expensive

intelligence + landspace restriction. LG Neon panels are actually dope af desu sendai

>I use solar energy, two small wind turbines, diy running water electricity generator and huge ass batteries

post pics w/ time-date

But, we know you can't because you're a lying sack of shit.

rare earth metals are not renewable.

Nobody asked.

>solar roof
>house surrounded by trees taller than house

too clever by half.

Solar will happen when the government realizes that decentralized energy production should be a project for the department of defense and the massive defense budget gets put towards giving people solar roofs.

The US interstate system was originally created for the department of defense.

The real question is, why the fuck aren't we trying to replace fossil fuel generation with nuclear? Solar and wind are still memes and will be at least for a decade or two.

>decentralized energy production
also decentralizes government. What bureaucrat or aristocrat wants that? They're going to save their decentralized generation for themselves and their armies. The people are the enemy.

>What bureaucrat or aristocrat wants that?

He's an alien and just wants to go to his home planet :(

Not from the gubmint, but more forward-thinking private utilities have been subsidizing it to add generation capacity and redundancy at lower cost. Still expensive though.

The department of energy, who would spearhead such a thing, is currently run by Rick Perry. The man spent years calling for the end of the energy department, and was then nominated for the position. He said he no longer believes it should be closed, now that he has been briefed on what it actually does.

>The department of energy, who would spearhead such a thing, is currently run by Rick Perry.
He said that nuclear would be an option, reflecting on France's success with nukes.
>The man spent years calling for the end of the energy department.
So? Other than weapons, what do they do that states aren't already doing?
>He said he no longer believes it should be closed, now that he has been briefed on what it actually does.
Which is?

>During that time you don't have electricity bills

What's the output of the panels?

>this faggot doesn't know the masterful engineering of GIFLIB
lol, go fuck yourself

This is one of Trump's countless lies which is easily disproven with minimal research.

Plastic and wood fags get out

>buying shit from Tesla is investing in your own property

>they don't know about California's duck curve

Kek, enjoy your power outages, greenfags

> doesn't know shingles are neither plastic or wood

It isn't, CTR shill. Fuck off to .

That's why the real priority should be nuclear for base load.

is this the nrew anti plane protection?

I'm tired of fucking meteors ruining my roof tiles, thank you Tesla!

>A bit like a mortgage on an investment apartment
Solar panels don't last much longer than 10 years. And "estimates" of ROI of ((((green)))) energy are usually highly inflated and ignores anything that might lower it.

> looks aesthetic
> looks like plastic shit
> so what
Can't you read? They were offering their own opinion to dispute OP's

(((green)))
Actually that's saying fuck you to all the jews company fucking up the planet and our society

Omg fuck trump

>muh aesthetic
>muh durability
>muh price
and how good is their efficiancy?
its shit

loving how this board falls hook, line and sinker for the green energy jew.

But don't forget the amount of (you)'s and likes generated per year.

There's jews on both sides, user. That's the world we live in now.

Houses without solar roofs won't get an access port under their home to the mars-earth Hyperloop est. 2040

Remember to petition your local government official about sending more funding to Tesla or you won't get a free electric car made out of aircarbon™

Scenario 3: you get the tesla roof AND a ton of solar panels on top.
A bit pricey and the energy production doesn't increase, but you the tax deductions makes it worth it.

In other words, ((((green)))) energy is just a means to generate tax benefits, and not actually viable for energy production.

at least the green jew doesn't fuck up the planet so much.

Except all the rare earth metals and huge quantities of coal and carbon ballooned into the air just mining the raw materials for such technology. You think those massive wheel-mining machines run on solar power?

>going full solar
Good for you.

I'm a bit envious. As someone who lives in Northern Europe I don't really have the option.

There's barely sun most of the year and roofs are mostly covered in snow. Nobody's going ot invest in a solar roof for the 4 of 12 months in the year where the sun actually shines on it.

What if I told you there was a solution...
>check out those dubs

>using individuals tiles on your roof as solar panels when there could be upwards of 100 different pieces, rather than installing 20-40 high efficiency solar panels which would be be a more effective way of detecting defective or deteriorating units

There are too many stupid people scared of muh radiation.

>Nobody's going ot invest in a solar roof for the 4 of 12 months in the year where the sun actually shines on it.
((((Germans)))) will and do.

You know we *grow* silicon crystals, right?

The heavy metals and other materials are virtually nothing compared to building the barrels that carry oil and coal... (Or the equipment that refines and burns them)

well when the great minds of our generation think its smart to build them on fault lines I think it's warranted.

Even in the depths of winter you get about 3 hours of useful capacity on average.

Bolt on some decent storage you'll be fine.

>shut down nuclear reactors
>wtf no power
>solution: build coal plant
Germans leading the way once again.

A guy I know mines ethereum off his solar. He has a huge barn and is planning to put solar panels on top of that.

What generation? There were no new nuclear projects between 1977 and 2013. There is no reason to think they would be unsafe though, as they are meant to go into failsafe at the slightest issue.

I'm talking about Fukushima.

>implying BWRs are in any way a solution

youre in the right direction at least

The nips don't have the safety culture we do. It was their fault for building there, and doing stupid shit that made it worse. We have always studied for faults, though.

>implying the panels won't be covered by a meter of snow and ice
>implying there is any sunlight for a few months

No it wasn't that. Fukushima was a 40 or so year old plant, that was built before chernobyl popped off. It was scheduled for decommissioning about 10 times over the last 20 years but was cancelled each time.
I don't know exactly why it was cancelled, but the usual reason is that building a new one to replace it was stopped by environmentalists.

Referring to the pic? It's just something I pulled of jewgle. I want to see 'murica fast-track newer designs. I want us to take our rightful place as leader in nuclear energy (and convert warheads to fuel).

>muh car
Who the fuck cares? Your new roof will protect you from orbital strikes and power your Sup Forums machine FOR FREE.

>40 or so year old plant, that was built before chernobyl popped off
Age shouldn't matter if it was maintained properly.
>It was scheduled for decommissioning about 10 times over the last 20
Sauce? I couldn't find anything to that effect.

>power your Sup Forums machine FOR FREE.
Average intelligence of the pro-solar crowd on display here.

but newer designs cost more money and utility companies generally dont like that.

we had a gen IV HTGR where i live for quite a while but the utility company decided to decommission it and build a shiny new gas fired plant in its place. much more profit.

nuclear power is largely a dead end due to greed and ignorance...

age matters in that older reactor designs are shit.

when those reactors at fukushima were designed many people were still using rotary phones.... im not even old enough to have ever used a rotary phone.

The designs are shit, but the problem seems to have been that Tepco didn't build a seawall high enough to prevent flooding, and that seems to be the reason for the disaster. According to Wiki, Onagawa NPP was closer to the epicenter but was largely unaffected.

I think a lot of the cost is because of over-regulation and over-engineering. muh radiation and all that.

Yes because when it's clouded it produces electricity with magic

it was a combination of things.
>water is a retarded coolant and not even the best moderator
>zircaloy is is even more retarded
>locating critical equipment in a basement at a coastal site is potato
>not taking measures to prevent the potato basement from being flooded is . . . i dont even

i wont argue with over-regulation, but over-engineering... water reactors are over-engineered for sure. HTGRs are pretty fucking simple, as are many gen IV designs that are self-moderated, passively cooled, and not picky on fuel.

note that much of the extra cost i speak of is due to the fact the newer designs cant realistically be scaled up as they did with water reactors. less power generated per reactor

The electric company will go bankrupt

you realize home solar panels can be connected to your city's grid and sell electricity to your provider? during those working hours, your provider will be able to save coal/oil/gas and use it later in the afternoon/evening. there won't even be a need for batteries.
even solar power plants can do this. take charge during the noon hours while letting fossil fuel plants "take a break".

Not for a very long time if ever. Solar roofs are partially to solve the problem of the electric companies with increased demand by electric cars.

electricity demand is growing so much, that even with widespread use of solar we will still see expansion of fossil fuel power plants, at least in the United States. US population is still growing, and since air conditioners are cheap many southern cities are growing. solar will actually help traditional electric companies

Wtf water is the best coolant due to viscosity and specific thermal capacity

Don't forget that all cars will be electric or plug-in hybrids in the near future.
That's a lot of extra demand even if most of it will be at night.

Sounds great until you realize that the sun will die eventually.

>>CTR
>Redirecting a supposed liberal to Sup Forums
>Not posting source for his argument

What type of special retard are you?

unless of course youre dealing with a NUCLEAR REACTOR in which case water makes for a disaster waiting to happen for several reasons.

water in secondary loop = fine
water in primary loop = retarded

I honestly see offices/work places allowing to charge your parked car and take a fee from your salary. this will literally fill the "belly" of the duck curve if there are enough electric cars.

That sounds too ironic to be true. Are the hippies really that retarded?