How did AMD's Tahiti architecture manage to last so fucking long?

How did AMD's Tahiti architecture manage to last so fucking long?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w_FJyfttrwU
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3923vs3639
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-Fury-X-vs-Nvidia-GTX-980/3498vs2576
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All the FineWine.

one of the last GPUs they did well
R9 290/x was the last GPU they succeeded with.

> R9 290/x was the last GPU they succeeded with.
Now, I have to say RX 480 is the same performance for half the power and half the price. Not bad.

Who here /7970 forever/?

Picked it up six years ago and it's still kicking the shit out of games.

Because it was the last good AMD arch and all AMDrones are desperately holding on to it.

Friendly reminder that a 7950 used to be a god-tier card and only $300. You will NEVER be able to buy the third fastest GPU on the market (680>7970>7950) for such a low price EVER again thanks to faggot miners.

tahiti was suppose to the biggest first gen gcn
but given how this is amd they made it the biggest gcn 2.0 which basicly is gcn 1.0 with an updated microcode

so this is literally a 2011 card being still competitive

really? you remember 4870/4850? it literally made nvidia to DOA 260 and halve the prices of anything above and still didnt manage to win at the end..

>tfw the fastest single GPU card money could buy in 2011 (7970) was $400
>tfw the fastest single GPU card in 2017 (barring stupid shit like titan) is $700
RRRREEEEEEEEE FUCKING MINERS

What? Miners don't buy the fast gaming GPUs. They only buy the AMDs.

Gaming is done on nvidia and those are undesirable for gaming.

When I was buying gpus in 2012/2013 they were going for under 200 bucks. Then the bitcoin thing blew up and the prices went up passed 400. Ended up having to get a gtx 770 for 330 sadly.

I hope my 7950 never dies.

Because gamers are fucking retarded subhumans. Miners are the true master race.

Raja had nothing to do with it.
6970 was the last card using his arch or influence until Poolaris and Vegabond.
Note how awesome Tahiti and Hawaii were in his absence.

R500 which powered the Xbox360 for 10 years was also without him.

I bough a HIS IceQ 7950 for peanuts and threw it in one of those tiny Lenovo prebuilt cases, had to saw out the HDD cages it was so fucking big it stretched the entire length of the case. Shit was the best sleeper ever. Those were the days.

7950 would still be a top-tier card today if I didn't have autism and bought a new GPU every year. I feel for the people who bought 680's instead of 7970's, those things are now paperweights due to the 2GB frame buffer. Pretty sure the 7970 Ghz Edition ended up being faster in the end anyway after the driver revisions. Tahiti is an absolute longevity king, it's almost Sandy Bridge tier.

raja has nothing to do with anything but navi period
gcn uarch is old as shit raja had any saying on it

Raja is still chief architect or w/e for rtg.

Raja was there for Poolaris.

I've got one of those r9 290s and I'm very impressed of how well its holding up in my james

390x here actually still holds up well except for pubg but I have a feeling it's bottlenecked by my i5 4690

raja was there for 3xx series 4xx series and 5xx series
your point? those are gcn desings that were in the making a lot time before he was even there
unless you sugges that raja taped out a new gpu in 2 months

Its super easy

and you all have been calling it "finewine" this whole time, not really knowing the truth

its the greatest lie in the industry

their "revolutionary" driver adjustments?

Just literally them telling their GPU to output slightly higher frame rates every iteration.

Apparent Improvement based on reported frame rates: +30%

Actual Improvement: +10%

And you all fell for it LMAO

Waiting to see if Vegabond 56 will be all that, cause I really want a 1070 or something similar.

>implying you can buy one before miners rape them all
Should preorder now before it's too late.

>raja taped out a new gpu in 2 months
Not impossible for AMD - the GPUs are modular and all their layouts are done in software licensed from IBM, there is no hand drawing required, from screen to mask can be done in hours rather than months...

That's the whole point of AMD's semi-custom chip service, they put whatever modular crap from AMD's 'part bin' into software and it spits out a workable design.

gcn is modular

user on Sup Forums 2017

Anyone want to bet that Vega64 will be faster than 1080Ti in two years time thanks to AMD's patented FineWineâ„¢ technology?

t. retard

NVidia GPUs age like spoiled milk, it's inevitable. Kekler is already a joke, Maxwell will join the party soon.

Only thing you'll get in response from the NBots is "Just buy a new one, poorfag". Because tossing expensive GPUs out the window every 2 years makes so much sense.

AMD's incompetence. It took them too long to make anything that was significantly faster. It also took them years to work out the drivers.

>Buy Nvidia
>Get 98% from day one
>Slight driver improvements push performance to 100% over the next year

>Buy AMD
>Get 70% performance from day one
>Slight driver improvements increase performance to 90% over the next decade

Also, AMD can't into Directx 11 because of their hardware scheduler. It's only been in the last couple of years that game devs started to properly multi-thread their games, which benefits AMD's architecture a lot.

>tfw have owned every single x80/x80Ti card nvidia has made since 2009 because i can afford to buy the latest and greatest every year
Must be pretty bad to be a piss poor faggot, how is that 1GB 7850 treating you?

>Get 70% performance from day one
Comparable AMD GPUs aren't even close to 30% behind. Stop fanboying.
>Slight driver improvements increase performance to 90% over the next decade
Yeah, more like the NVidia GPU will perform like crap in comparison. Look at 780 ti. youtube.com/watch?v=w_FJyfttrwU

Your dumb frogposting doesn't work as well when it's called out ahead of time.

me im on a 7970 and a 2500k
i dont plan on upgrading for another two years at least

I still run a 4850x2 in my work pc.

I still run a 7950 and 2500k. I'm not much of a gaymer anymore and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. I prefer my 8950 over the 2500k personally though.

How the fuck is that possible? I had an R9290 and a 780 at the same time (one wasn't mine) and remember the 780 being faster. My 780 was over 2x the price of the 290. I just checked some 2013 reviews and the 290 is faster than a 780 by like one or two percent, but now its 2x as fast? What the fuck is this shit? Am I living in an alternate reality or was the 290 really that good?

I've currently got a 1080Ti, should I sell it for Vega 64?

1080 ti probably won't age as badly. Not until most developers are using DX12/Vulkan over DX11.

(tm)
fpbp

The benchmarks in this video can't be accurate. The 390X is just a rebranded 290X, right? They are saying a 390X is just as fast as a 980Ti, I just swapped the 290X in my dad's PC for a 980Ti and performance went way up, and a bunch of other review sites have the 980Ti about 30-40% ahead of 290X.

Read 'em and weep, bro. AMD FineWine, NVidia SpoiledMilk.

Delete this please.

Not that guy, but since I plan on upgrading my CPU too, I think going with those AyyMD bundles might be a good way to get the GPU for a decent price.
Shame I only want a 1080p monitor. If I can sell the ultrawide monitor, that would be ideal.

AMD rebranded it for so long they had no choice but to continue supporting it. Hell that's the reason why FineWine exists. They refuse to abandon GCN and it's coming back to bite them in the ass with Vega.

Miners haven't affected Nvidia's classic overpricing

True It's winning every benchmark and the fastest gpu ever made almost every website shilling it. And now look what happened to gtx 700 and 900 series now...

390X has faster clocks all around and about twice as much VRAM

dont sell , sadly vega is slower than the TI and waiting for it to be optimized aint a good strat

You get around 70% of an AMD GPU's potential performance on release.
Nvidia provides 98% of their GPU's potential performance on release.

AMD always make shit for half a decade in the future, hoping their gamble will pay off, while Nvidia focuses on delivering in the here and now.

We all know which strategy is superior.

If by that you mean NVidia wins in most benchmarks by 10-15% and comes in even in the rest at launch, and then 3-4 years later falls behind even their current mid-range cards, yeah sure.

NVidia: The way you're meant to be milked.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3923vs3639

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-Fury-X-vs-Nvidia-GTX-980/3498vs2576