/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Michael-Kors-Master-Silver-Toned-MK9024/dp/B017AQ420A/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501868884&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=michael kors automatic chronograph
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are vintage Rolex Air King a meme?

Explorer is better.

I wish I could like the explorer but the new typeface for the numbers is strange to me. And 1016's are too high in price for what they are and would buy something like a JLC with that money.

Fucking love the explorer

Good morning wt

no they are great.

(((QUARTZ)))

Seiko cases are so fat and bulky

I would like to get a Seiko SKX007 but I want to change the Hands and maybe the dial.
Is that complicated or can i do this without any experience?

They really are.. I totally get that the movements are great and the finishing is great but they have no appeal to me whatsoever.

You need tweezers and a toothpick and a hand puller and steady hands. But I wouldn't just open up iso certified dive watches for no reason....

>for no reason
The reason is to change what the watch looks like

What i mean is You don't need to open it you just want to open it.. so why not just buy a cheaper seiko with a better movement? Get a 4r36 seiko 5 sport and change the dial and hands.. why the fuck would you specifically pay more for an iso certified dive watch open and possibly compromise its water resistance to change everything about it?

Got a new servicing job. A digital Sicura, prob. from the 70's. Despite Sicura being the current Breitling, this watch runs on a shitty pin-pallet Baumgartner (BFG) 866. Customer says he's okay with a daily rate of +/-1min

Not going to lie, that looks pretty cool. Is the center hand running seconds?

Yeah it is, and also the minute disk, while hour and day are jumping. The whole dial-side mechanism is probably similar to a Ruhla Digital.

It looks cool, and BFG were capable of almost Swiss lever-escapement quality pin-pallet movements, but the interior is still kinda shit.

What are you dudes wearing today?

What's the opinion on smart watches?

My Helbros Invincible, a classic, quintessentially German piece of horological history. Apart from the Swiss AS 1931 movement, of course.

It's fucking hot as hell here, 30°C indoors, so no leather nor Casio plastic straps for a while now. Also I think I'm wearing it one hole too tight.

Urban Gentry can you review my watch pls?

Where did the my pic go? I swear I had it selected.

Still savoring this one. Depending on how long the honeymoon period lasts I might end up selling a diver or two if they lose too much wrist time to this.

Rate my collection. Missing gshock as that thing won't lay flat

I'm a Seiko whore and love the turtle, but why two? Why not go for a Samurai or one of the higher-end ones?

Eh boss has a samurai, didn't want to copy.

Big fan of the turtle and the PADI came first. I gave my dad my SKX007 and wanted a black on black turtle to replace it. While I'm glad my dad loves his first automatic watch, I miss my skx like crazy. The SRP777 is an inferior styled watch to the SKX007 imo.

adding shocker for collection. actually not a big fan of gshocks but quite like mine.

HI I have an option to buy 3 vintage seikos, all automatic (I thisnk seiko automatic 5) for 45 euros. How can I tell if they are legit? Worth the money?

user...

another pic

Is there some special reason you are interested in vintage Seiko 5s? Unless you have a particular reason to want them, you'd be way better off buying one new Seiko 5 for that price...

POO

I would like to get my first automatic watch for everyday use. I like these seikos, the only thing I am wondering about is their price - because I dont have a clue if this is a good bargain or not. I already own one seiko piece and I love it but its not an everyday watch, pic related

to be clear - all three watches together cost 45 euros and I think I can wiggle some more. Worth it?

They are franken shitters do not fucking buy those. They will crap the bed in no time. Do some research you mong.

Postan my Amphibian. shark bezel +aftermarket Amphibia branded rubber strap

Might get a scuba dude next

Don't remember the number, but I have some modded ones.

I'll see if I can get some pics.

Nice, I'll go with 50 if broke and 150-200 If running.

As if I wear anything besides this anymore.

looks like a generic seiko

I can't review, but I can say your watch looks great.

What's the base case?

ctrl-f patek
>0 results
ctrl-f lange
>0 results
ctrl-f audemars
>0 results
ctrl-f vacheron
>0 results
ctrl-f nomos
>0 results
yet another thread where everyone tugs their dick over omegas, seikos and rolexes because everyone's james fucking bond

pic unrelated

Don't you guys feel bad buying one of the most obvious conspicuous consumption, status-symbol form-over-function money sink baits possible? May as well put grills on your teeth.

>audemars
nigger tier
>nomos
hipster faggot tier

If you buy me a Patek I'll post it.

Good, I didn't buy it to impress normies.

i actually have that watch, with the black leather strap.

Yo /wt/ what is a good sub 2k usd chronograph that doesn't use a chinky ST19 or the like movement? I was considering the Steinhardt speedmaster knockoff but FUCK STEINHART (pic related is my ST19, with disgusting red letters ruining the nice view)

tfw this is the exact same

Do lugs bend slightly around the wrist or are they completely straight?

lmao what the fuck is that
did you buy it at a chinese steampunk convention

>lmao what the fuck is that
The movement of my quirky yet undeniably classic seagull 1963

>i didnt buy the brand that normies find most impressive to impress normies
it's not even a submariner. the only rolex i'd consider buying would be a submariner, and i won't ever buy a submariner, because rolex make hideous watches

amazon.com/Michael-Kors-Master-Silver-Toned-MK9024/dp/B017AQ420A/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501868884&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=michael kors automatic chronograph

>$210 chrono

Which Seiko 5 is this?

oh shit that's actually really nice. shame the back looks like shit, do they sell it with a metal back? might get one

its not a 5, its a spring driver

>michael kors
literally same brand as my sister's purse

Your sister sounds like a skank

They do, yes. Beware though, QC on these is very poor - if you can buy a working one used from a reliable seller, that might be better than buying one new.

they do have a slight bend

This is actually great

My photography skills are shit, the movement looks really nice in person. The metal back is nice too tho and cuts out a few mm from the height of the watch

Let's be realistic here; if the dude wants to mod a Seiko to make it not look like a Seiko, I doubt he's ever going to take it past the floor of a swimming pool.

sarb033 or sarb035?

It's a fashion brand dude. You could be wearing some nice Gucci loafers, or an Armani suit, and someone is bound to say "LOL MY SISTER HAS A PURSE FROM THEM".
That being said, fashion watches are always garbage and are never comparable to actual pieces from that designer; Michael Kors is also straight garbage though. 100% thot brand.

black my man

give a shit if it tells time desu i think it's just the coolest thing ever

033, it's a lovely deep brown in the right lighting.

White my dude

Here's my vintage mechanical Timex, aka the McGyver watch. It also appeared on Platoon apparently.

Makes sense because it's a lot cheaper than getting a genuine US contracted field watch.

>those scratches

That's what I dislike about my SARB, its case and bracelet are scratch magnets. Also the lack of the AR coating is annoying.

Yeah, got it used for 14€ shipped so it's the greatest watch bargain I've ever had. Afaik these are going for about 100€ on ebay and are somewhat rare to find.

That sweep is nothing to brag about desu.

slav

good quality slav

t. retard

what's the deal with the golden hand?

My SNK803 has just as choppy of a sweep, and it's $285 less with a shitty Malaysian movement.

That's that good shit. I also just noticed this, but is the blue hand bent or is that just distortion from the crystal?

i came

It's a rattrapante (split second chrono). Think of it as a lap timer.

The second hands are indeed bent downward near the tip to follow the curve of the crystal.

It's probably bent, it used to be common to have the hands bend down a bit at the end to make it easier to read the time exactly, especially with domed crystals that can distort your view at an angle. Like the minute and second hands in pic related, which coincidentally has an even lower beatrate than my SARB and your SNK so it must be really shit.

>mod a Seiko to make it not look like a Seiko

i actually wanted to use both dial and hands from different Seiko models

couldn't i just bring the watch to a watchmaker so he tests it if it is still waterproof to 20ATM?

nice. picture?

I collected watches but stopped around 10 years ago. The watch i like most in my collection is the vintage Omega Seamaster 300.

You very well could, but it could be seen a waste of money depending on how much he charges.

your skin is almost translucent... are you jewish by any chance?

is a $100 japanese quartz watch a good first watch?

I like the design and there aren't any watchmakers in this country to help me maintain an automatic

Seagull 1963 is good

Pennsylvania

are u the guy from the other threads who posted that one cool pobeda

>stop liking what I don't like

Could be Anglo instead of Spanish or Germanic descent.

>Seiko has copied this and made it into a generic watch.

The best part about owning a Rolex is the fact that they are very understated and tasteful in person. Photos don't really do this justice. My Explorer II flies under the radar, I've only gotten a nod in public by someone incidentally wearing one too.

hey guiys its the guy from the last thread who wanted to return his stupid pobeda that he paid $50 for. well, i did it. I scratched it up, said it came that way, and got my refund. I feel like a dirty, evil jew.

martinlutherkink, tell me if u can see this