Wireless electricity

How feasible is 'wireless electricity'?
Basically, a device can be powered purely by the frequencies in the air.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=34NpyA2OuaE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonant_inductive_coupling
youtube.com/watch?v=A8dqzVlhFkA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>How feasible is 'wireless electricity'?
a bit feasible

Shit not again, IT DOESN'T WORK NIKOLA, STOP.

Sounds nice until you get electrocuted

why cant it work?

>turn your entire house into a n induction heater
spend 2 minutes thinking why exactly this isn't going to work.

It would work but it's cancerous. Similar to radio and cell tower waves.

Heres my way of making wireless power, just make most surfaces which you sit shit on charge the devices on it.

its really inefficient

Very much not, as it stands.

Radiated power follows something called an inverse square law. As the distance increases, the power decreases as the square (x^2) at that distance. For example, doubling the distance reduces the power by a factor of four (2^2). Tripling the distance reduces it by a factor of nine (3^2).

My netbook, to draw an inspiration from your pic, empties its 35 watt-hour battery in about five hours. So I would somehow need to feed it 7 watts of power wirelessly. However even in a modestly sized room I need to be able to pull that off whether I'm one meter away from the source coil or five meters. That five-fold difference in distance is a twenty-five fold difference in power (5^2). So even if the source coil was perfectly efficient, beaming energy in a very targeted way to my laptop, it would have to put out 25 times my netbook's power draw at one meter to be able to cover me at the far end of the room.

7 * 25 = 175 watts. In a perfect model, for just one device, etc. Now I'm not saying that the obstacle for wireless power is that we need to beam so much power that it's ridiculous. There are situations which will require high power and those will continue to use wires. That's okay. The obstacle is that our small-scale consumer world is still too demanding on power for this to work. We need hyper-efficient technology which can run on extraordinarily low power demands, so that even at distance it won't take much power at the source to keep them running. Then the source coil's power draw can come down to slightly more reasonable levels.

Didn't they announce a phone that runs on radio waves only? I read it last week or so. Granted, it's probably a phone only and nothing more, but it must be fucking efficient.

2 % feasible.

anything strong enough to power a light bulb for a distance longer than a few inches would be a lightning bolt

Feasible right up until Westinghouse realises there is no room for a metre...

Why don't we harvest power from lightning?

If you can get the lightning bolt to strike an oversized capacitor.... sure why not?

We won't get wireless electricity until the next aliens visit us.
The last time they visited they told the secret of wireless electricity to Nikola Tesla, but the FBI killed him for consorting with aliens before he could make any headway.

I was thinking about this last night. Like if you could geoengineer a certain area to always have lightening storms and just harvest the energy.

1 . 2 1 G I G A W A T T S

*Jigawatts

inverse square law

>Granted, it's probably a phone only and nothing more, but it must be fucking efficient.
correct

DUDE WEED LMAO

lol I was high

>capacitor for a 30MV/4MA pulse
yeah.. good luck with that thing not exploding on its first charge

That's exactly the kind of developments which are needed to make wireless power even remotely feasible.

power companies love that though, means you'll be using more power!

THE TESLA COILS

IN THE LOBOTOMITES SPINE

it is feasible and it is the future
we just need to make our hardware much more power efficient before we can consider it

We should learn how to convert chakra into electricity. This way we could just project our good feelings onto our hardware and charge things on a whim. It would also solve the violence problem because people with negative energies would be out of juice all the time and that would be bad. Society would improve greatly.

Shitload of current and that voltage will require MASSIVE gaps between the plates.

Cheaper to just burn coal or splitting atoms.

>For example, doubling the distance reduces the power by a factor of four (2^2). Tripling the distance reduces it by a factor of nine (3^2).
so you're telling me if I'm half way up a ladder, and then I climb up to the very top, I'll with 1/2^2 what i did?
so if I jump off a building I'll end up in space?
you're bad at explaining physics, stop trying.

>I'll with 1/2^2 what i did?
I assume you're talking about work done against gravity here.

You didn't double the distance from Earth's gravity. If you had a ladder which was three times as long as Earth's radius then, yes, climbing from the middle to the top would reduce the force of gravity on you by 1/2^2.

(Okay I apparently am bad at explaining math. Climbing up from 1/3 of the ladder to the top would reduce the force of gravity by 1/2^2.)

>reduce the force of gravity on you by 1/2^2.
This increases the force of gravity on you by 4. While going up. Get your shit together.

An English major? You must be browsing from a Starbucks.

Yes, I should have said "reduce the force of gravity on you TO 1/2^2." It's reduced by a factor of 4 relative to the lower position. Sorry about that. I owe you a frappuccino.

I wonder if a highly directional antenna would help

That "phone" was just a short-range transceiver + microphone and speaker. No digital components are used. It's not a full phone by itself.

I actually wonder about the side effects of the em field that should be strong enough to "transfer" power on a room scale

what do you think solar panels are dipshit

>That five-fold difference in distance is a twenty-five fold difference in power (5^2). So even if the source coil was perfectly efficient, beaming energy in a very targeted way to my laptop, it would have to put out 25 times my netbook's power draw at one meter to be able to cover me at the far end of the room.
No you jackass. If it's focused inverse-square does not apply.
Inverse-square only applies for omnidirectional emissions.

Literal side effects have had lots of time to manifest in contexts like radio station transmitters, high tension power lines and RADAR. So far so good, though of course long term observation is always best.

However I said literal because the worrying effects aren't "side" at all. They're straight up the intended effect: the field will induce an effect on anything which is tuned to it. As mentioned earlier in this thread, that's a problem with things that can act like inductors. There's a whole lot of shit I wouldn't want to bring near a powerful source coil and by extension I don't want to be near one either. Again, that's outright what it's meant to do.

kek

>wireless electricity

You mean radiation?

they can test lightning strikes in lightning prone areas by launching a rocket with a copper wire tether, which attracts the bolt.

youtube.com/watch?v=34NpyA2OuaE

You would have a better time with solar cells on everything.

great more electromagnetic fields in everybody's house to fuck with my ham radio

It's possible but you need AC signal. However, rechargeable batteries need DC signal to charge.

Wireless electricity is far more efficiently transported through long thin tubes of metal

It already exists in toothbrush chargers, you dingus.

The question is how are you gonna get the range far enough to power a house without using outlets?

The electromagnetic force is short-ranged as fuck.

>Wireless electricity is far more efficiently transported through wires

Are you even trying, user?

>electromagnetic force is short-ranged as fuck
just like your dick

10/10. Stay on this website. At first I thought you were in middle or high school, but now that you've made this comment I can see you truly deserve to be here.

Lol fucking burn

>being this butthurt on internet

>he doesn't know about waveguides

Sorry when I turn around I knock stuff over that's hip height.
I guess that's just not the case for dicklets like you

>Cheaper to just burn coal or splitting atoms.
even on the long run?
or they will need replacement too often even for that?

>inverse square law
half life of knowledge
half life of knowledge
never say that something doesnt work cause most probably in the future it will

>stick really bright light into wall socket
>cover your electronics in solar panels

by the time we figure out how to manipulate the laws of physics in our universe (which will not be achieved by humans, or perhaps at all), power delivery will be a non-issue since power generation would be so trivial that everything would have its own dedicated power source

go smoke another joint and stop making dumb arguments

That's guaranteed to burn some stuff in the room, including you

I find your faith disturbing.

topkek

Wire the power of the lightning into a huge heater coil, add some water and a turbine and your free energy source is ready to go. Sure you loose efficiency, but it will work

won't ever be approved for consumer market because it's going to literally kill patients with medical implants

something light enough to be moved by air and something strong enough to push the air without forcing it.

Having a high energy field permeate the space I am living in seems like a terrible idea.
We get away with radio waves because transmitting information only requires low power, but powering devices is something entirely different.

He's already burned, don't you see?

Perfectly viable, except for the square law. You need a lot of power to avoid wires, and a lot of electricity will be lost.

>applecucks would actually buy this
>they would actually try to justify paying 20x more on their electric bill for "muh aesthetics"
>they would put their computers on rolling fagstations instead of desks and brag about how they can move freely through their room all day without being tethered to the wall or rolling their chair over wires

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonant_inductive_coupling

It's very inefficient - unless you'd enjoy some ionizing radiation. Also for lighting, it would be better to use induction lamps, which are pretty neat fitting for this technology.

The only way this works is when you build the room specifically to act as a waveguide.

It's great if you want a ridiculously high electricity bill. That shit is inefficient as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=A8dqzVlhFkA

No need, there's already the area south of the Saharan desert. One of the most batshit insane places for lighting, it's truly a spectacle.

You were doing so well

>wireless electricity becomes a thing
>Your next chair is a disguised lethal electric chair controlled by the NSA

>implying you wouldn't enjoy it

>wifi signals cause autism and braincancer
>thinking wireless electricity wont do the same if nto worse

i imagine it to make your room like a big microwave where you're slowly cooked in

>wear metal bracelet
>your hand falls off next day

Fuck off femtrash. No one wants their balls fried with radiation all day.

>m-muh nonionizing
Ever heard of unknown unknowns? This why women can never be respected in scientific communities.

incredibly inefficient for such a small convenience

> hyper-efficient technology which can run on extraordinarily low power demands
I like the ideas around that very much, though.
Like these prototype solar-powered displays - with bluetooth!.

Like, look at this. Beautiful.

My power company is constantly sending me spam about how to save power, how I should turn my thermostat to 78F, how I should switch to LED light bulbs, etc, etc. The fact of the matter is your power company has a finite amount of power they can generate in a day. They cannot generate more without building new plants, and that's a "20 year plan" tier business decision.

Of course it wouldn't matter if we killed all the liberals and allowed nuclear power generation to advance beyond the 1970's, but c'est la vie.

>I don't understand how electricity and magnetism works

But how will you eliminate coil whine

You'd best be joking.

Solar power is essentially RF which are converted to electricity. The sun gives us 173,000 terawatts.

That’s 10,000 times more power than the planet’s population uses. We get 20% of that due to loss in efficiencies in the conversion so depending where you live, you could use the sun to wirelessly (but not completely) power your devices.