Best Monitor for Design Work

Hi Sup Forums,

I'm a professional designer but have almost exclusively worked outside of home and have been provided hardware. I was doing a year of social work and now have to equip my home to freelance but my knowledge of top design gear is from more than 5 years ago and alot has changed.

tldr: I'm looking for a affordable but qualitative Retina(!) Display I can connect to my computer to work on.

Must haves:

• more than 150dpi
• truest colors possible
• more than 60hz

got any tips for me?

Retina is a meme word for "high dpi"

thx for bumping

This thread is gonna die anyway

you'll want an 8-bit-color IPS monitor. probably around 1440p, or 2160p depending on the size. just search your favourite PC parts website and you'll probably find some.

Try /gd/

>• more than 150dpi
Dpi is relative to the screen size and resolution. A 1080p 14'' screen is 150dpi. Not sure if you would find that usuable.

>• truest colors possible
You won't get there without a colour calibrator and properly set up room (lightning, desk position relative to the window). Even precalibrated factory monitors will drift off course in years time.

>• more than 60hz
Meme and completely unrelated to any design work. I'm hugely sceptical you'll ever do VR design.

No, it's a meme word for "higher DPI than our previous products".
Big difference there, namely that apple can still sell a 10 year old shitbox as having a retina screen, and normies will think the screen is high DPI because muh retina.

>Dpi is relative to the screen size and resolution
no it is not are you stupid? the abbrevation literally is Dots Per Inch...

>• more than 60hz
yea look, all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. I do want to play the occasional game once a weekend

holy shit are you really this dumb?

> Dots Per Inch

What do it mean to you?

>no it is not are you stupid? the abbrevation literally is Dots Per Inch...
That's not the point. DPI means jackshit when you obviously need a bigger screen. Not to mention for work you'll enjoy a two display setup far more. You should consider that first.

>yea look, all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. I do want to play the occasional game once a weekend
Are you sure this gaming activity won't hurt your working habits? Have you ever attempted to manage your time for both on a single desktop? If you haven't, consider getting a console on the side or a separate desktop. Mixing both leads to problems very often.

Also if you want best color, look no further but at Eizo. They cost a fortune but provide best affordable color quality. No, they are not designed for gaming, you won't see anything above 60Hz there. If you want to go after 10bit color, you'll have some problems as applications, the video card, the operating system and the monitor itself has to support it. For graphics card that means Quadro, other high end nVidia cards or Firepro cards from AMD.

Why are you using the word retina? Don't you mean high pixel count or something?
Those old retina displays use LG panels that are 1440p. The same ones used in those Korean qnix/crossovers etc.

a square inch is an absolute measurement, so is quantity of dots inside it, HOW THE FUCK WOULD IT SCALE WITH SCREEN SIZE?!?!?!

>Not to mention for work you'll enjoy a two display setup far more.
I'd connect my laptop to the monitor, so the lap screen would serve as off screen.

>Are you sure this gaming activity won't hurt your working habits?
for some it might, but that's my problem isn't it? apart from 60hz issue it wont affect your monitor recommendation would it?

hmm, I don't have a fortune but am gonna look into it.

you didn't even read the next lines I wrote, just leave. the expression you're looking for is DPI...

actually thank you for being the first serious and informative response!

>you didn't even read the next lines I wrote, just leave. the expression you're looking for is DPI..

Yes, just anything that isn't called retina will suffice.
Them mac retina screens have a coating on them that gets damaged with screen cleaners.

Cheapo korean monitors use the same panels. clock to 90-120hz buy your overpriced mac version by all means.

You seem to be a rude bastard anyway.

72 dpi was screen norm for a long ass time, I'm no expert but as designer I hardly encountered other resolutions before apple produced it's retina screens.

and don't judge my rudeness by how I respond to the other posters, I did not insult you and it's not less rude to respond to something you have not read completely. also read how other replied to my post, I think for this boards standards I'm moderate.

dots per inch
The amount of dots = pixels measured by an inch on the monitor. A 27-inch 1080p monitor will have a lower dpi than a 24-inch 1080p monitor. There are less pixels measured by an inch on the 27-inch monitor because it is larger. The pixels on it are larger. You have brain damage, also.

When manufacture made a screen, they care the display resolution standard, not square inch measurement. So DPI would scale with screen size.

Didn't like the use of retina as the prominent opening gambit but yeah I don't hate you, good luck.