NAS

Why have a NAS if your desktop PC is running 24/7 anyway?

H0lySh1t, you are rite!

Raid0 with seagate & close thread now ok?

Honey, some people want to seperate file serving operations from regular computing operations so they don't drain each other's resources.

There's no reason why you couldn't setup a proper ZFS or btrfs RAID in your desktop PC.

yeah, but he/she/trans said if the machine was on 24/7... No redundancy required if you never turn it off ok.

yes, there is no reason to do that

I would like to lick the taco and try that too

When the power goes out, my UPS can keep the NAS powered while i switch to my Thinkpad. Also updates and upgrades.

>With Seagate
Tfw I bought a lot of Seagate drives and over half were dead...ah yes "tested working but all sales final"

Glad you got the joke. They succ in a bad way

Because I need to do something with all the spare parts I steal from repair jobs

Stop stealing. Nobody likes a thief

Stop posting. Nobody likes a tripfag

>why have PC if running server & SSH
why be faggot if pounding woman better?

What's a tripfag?

You

You my thief ghey partner nigga?

The UPS could just keep your desktop running instead

The screen array on my desktop uses almost the same amount of power than my NAS.

PC IS the nas.. and because I have multiple devices that all regularly need shit dumped from them including several vms and Im sure as fuck not doing it though usb, cd, or floppy any more.

>Raid0 with seagate

what "resources" does a nas fucking need? You can run it off of a single core under clocked arm cpu for fucks sake

>buying a used hdd
>buying a seagate
>buying a used seagate
wew
e
w

NAS is a server. Usually you'll want to keep this up and running without frequent restarts or heavy spikes in cpu usage.(Such as what you'd see from playing games or just generally doing a variety of things on your desktop)

If the desktop server was being shared by multiple people, then whatever resource hogging tasks you are doing on the desktop would..impact all other users.

What kind of soft-ass NAS are you familiar with? No web portal? No transcoding? Just one user? No backup ops? No actual racks?
I know this is Sup Forums but some of us have actually taken the training wheels off.

separation of duties, but its only for people who arent poor

>No actual racks
Hardly anyone on Sup Forums has racks.
In the infrequent home server threads I've seen maybe 2 anons with racks, and they look shitty.

sorry for the autism but that's actually a namefag, not a tripfag

samba and ftp mostly. I dont want the nas to do any transcoding because retranscoding often produces shit results.
And yes just one user, I dont want other peopls bullshit cluttering up my drives.

>industry shit
yea, no shit you wouldn't use an under clocked arm for anything serious, but we are on Sup Forums.

> No actual racks
the racks add an extra 2 ghz right?

Do most people here use nas to store media? I upload my documents into the {{{cloud}}} and all my media is pretty much disposable so I'm not sure why I need one. But I bought 4x8tb drives so thinking about it.

Because Illmatic is a great album.