/pcbg/

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega soon.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Wjhrbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/pwXBBP
pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg
pcpartpicker.com/list/3crCRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/YBtdhq
pcpartpicker
pcpartpicker.com/product/mNBrxr/aoc-ag271qx-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-ag271qx
pcpartpicker.com/list/GZmjr7
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704040
amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553002
pcpartpicker.com/list/gZwnRG
twitter.com/AnonBabble

looking for a cooler for my am4 cpu
i'm using stock right now but i feel the need to replace it i guess.

if you're not overclocking and arent overheating already wraith is fine.

if you are looking for a good performance per dollar ratio get the Macho rev b, if you are looking for high performance get the big Phantek or Poo in Loo Noctuna

alright, is there a timer on how long before i'll have to replace the paste, and will a vega 56 be worth the upgrade from a 580 8gb?

>vega 56
nobody can tell you because no benchmarks

AM4 boards with ECC?

I only found these:
Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac

rip well alright

thanks for the advice.

not necessarily. Keep an eye on your temps, if they get higher than average use compressed air to clean your case, if that doesn't work then reapply the thermal compound. My most recent build I completed 6-7 months ago and haven't run into any issues though.

I was thinking about getting an aio for my 1700, but with a pretty aggressive fan curve, I rarely break 60c at 3.5ghz. And that's with only one exhaust case fan. When I get my two intakes I doubt it'll be worth upgrading until the sound bothers me.

Good mobo / ram for ryzen 1600?
Was going to build fx8350 b/c win7 but I don't think I can justify an am3 build -- decided to just get ryzen.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Wjhrbj
also open to case recommendations - it's my first build be gentle

i've done way too much digging into PC cases this past couple of weeks and i came across a couple of offerings from this brand called "anidees" that seem really really compelling. anyone have experience with this (relatively new/unknown?) brand?

I just got a stronk GPU and I'm looking for a good 1440p monitor. Specifically, one with VESA mounts, a non-TN panel, and reasonably low response time/input lag, ideally under $400 but willing to compromise on that. 60hz or 144hz is fine, I'm coming from an older GPU and will be content with a solid 60 FPS. I'd rather have rock-solid 60 than something higher but unstable.

Right now I've got my eye on the Asus PB258Q from the logicalincrements list, and was also considering the VA32AQ, though I feel like that one's got some hidden flaw with it considering its low price. Can anyone vouch for either of these monitors or recommend others?

pcpartpicker.com/list/pwXBBP

pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

Get cheaper case and buy asus crosshair hero

>$236 x370 board for a single gpu build

250gb SSD is enough even with how ridiculously huge games are today if you're planning on installing few on it. Also look for a cheaper case, that one is too big and expensive for that build.

don't do this $200 CPU doesn't need a $230 motherboard. That's stupid. Get something like the Asrock B350 Pro4 or the MSI B350 Mortar
I bought the Asus Crosshair and a 1700X at launch. I always buy overkill motherboards because they usually receive the most support from the manufacturer, and with AMD saying AM4 socket will be around for at least 4 years, I figure my Crosshair will have the best shot of fully supporting Zen 2/3 CPUs when they launch without issue.

are used cpu/gpus worth getting?

yes good bios and big community who test it. make it worth paying extra

>tfw no high end mATX boards for AM4

fugg

it's cute but don't try to justify your purchase by making me buy one too.

thank you, heard about some problems with ryzen and asrock though.

updated - pcpartpicker.com/list/3crCRG

if they weren't used for 6+ months of mining then yes

yea unfortunate I know.
>it's cute but don't try to justify your purchase by making me buy one too.
What? I not even the user here I said for you to NOT buy the crosshair, but simply explained to a different user why people would.

You were missing RAM unless you've already purchased it. Also changed your SSD to different brand. Slightly higher capacity (525GB vs 500GB) for around $25 less.

GTA V and DOOM are 65-80GB installed, and games will only continue to get bigger.

I can't think of many games that benefit greatly from being installed on SSD though. Obduction, I guess.

CPUs? Yes.

GPUs? There was a time I would say yes, but now, not so keen on it. With the crypto-miner fags saturating the market with crispy and burnt GPUs, there's a good chance you'll be buying a lemon. If you're just looking for a dirt cheap replacement to hold you over, go nuts, but if you're looking to hold onto the GPU for a while, just buy new.

Any cases like the old mac pro towers? That shit just looks great except for the apple logo, really need a full metal case built like a tank. Steel or aluminum doesn't matter, just solid, no cheap RGB gamer plastic, no brittle glass windows, but good airflow.

Isn't Noctua from Austria?

modern games/hdds are normally good enough for the loading screens to be negligible regardless, but old open world shit with tons of loading screens like skyrim benefit from it pretty well AFAIK

what exactly will the difference be from playing with an unlocked framerate on my 60hz monitor to a 144hz monitor with no variable refresh tech? won't they both still tear and the experience be the exact same? what exactly is the advantage of 144hz if i can play with high fps no issue on a 60hz screen. does 144hz monitor feel smoother or something

>good air flow
>Solid
>metal

Silverstone Fortress FT-02. Pic related. They make windowed and non-windowed versions. Comes in Silver, Black, brushed metal grey if I'm not mistaken. But they're like $250 new on Newegg so I hope you have deep pockets.

your 60hz monitor isn't displaying 144fps. The fps counter is simply showing how many fps the GPU is currently capable of. Such a surplus results in the tearing you're talking about. Out of the 120+ Fps you're GPU is giving you, you 60hz monitor can only "use" 60 of them, so you'd want to have v-sync enabled to avoid tearing.

144fps on a panel with 144hz capabilities means the monitor will "use" all 144fps. This results in less/no motion blur at all in racing and First person shooter games. Sometimes even things like scrolling on a browser appears more seamless and smooth.

All comes down to preference. Some swear by 120hz/144hz panels, and others don't care. Honestly I think you're better off with a g-sync panel if you have a nvidia card (expensive because of branding) or a free-sync monitor if you have AMD (much cheaper because AMD). It results in a smoother gameplay experience overall.

pcpartpicker com/list/tbHjr7

How would this be for light gaming and lots of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop? Would I need a beefier PSU if I wanted to overclock? Are there any ways to cut cost? Lastly, would I be better off waiting for an RX580 8gb to come into stock?

When can i preorder the vega 56

I will consider this, even though it's a TN.
Was hoping for something 25" or higher as I like to do image work from time to time.

i have nvidia gpu but i'm not going to pay extra for a feature i don't really care about. if you're saying that 144hz will make my games more smooth in general over playing with unlocked fps on a 60hz screen i'll just get the cheapest i can find.

like this:
pcpartpicker.com/product/mNBrxr/aoc-ag271qx-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-ag271qx

Do decent but affordable 16:10 monitors even exist these days? All I can see are Dell. I need something to replace this 9 year old 1680x1050 monitor and I just can't find it.

What's the maximum amps/watts a mobo will feed into one of the fan headers?

if you're only doing light gaming, there is no need at all for the 1060. Plus, gtx 1060's right now are stupid overpriced because of fucking miners again.

No you don't need more wattage. Even overclocked, the r7-1700 is less than 100w. Adobe suite in general seems to not be taking full advantage of GPU acceleration, so waiting for the RX580 would do nothing for you.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GZmjr7

>bought 144hz monitor
>can't go back to 60hz
>actually considering buying a 240hz because even 144hz isn't smooth enough anymore

where will it end? i'm addicted to hertz.

yea G-sync is a fucking rip off. That monitor should be fine. AOC isn't terrible. Look up reviews before you jump though. Don't want to find out that the viewing angles are trash and you could have avoided the whole mess for just $50 more.
Differs from motherboard to motherboard. What are you trying to power?

Please help this poorfag brainlet.

I'm looking for a sub $100 GPU to stick in this old ass PC til I can save up and build a new gaming pc when the prices finally come down. I'm mainly going to be playing older games from before 2012.

The Micro Center near me has some ASUS Radeon RX 550 2gbs for 80 bucks but I'm pretty sure it'll all just got bottle necked on this old ass pc. Arigato Senpai. m(-_-)m

how awkward is pairing a 1440p 144hz monitor as a primary display with a 4k 60 hz monitor as secondary? i'm getting a 1440p 144hz for my personal use but i need a 4k monitor on my desk for family members because of the new xbox coming soon

1050ti if you can afford it, 750ti if you can't.

wow that's an ancient PC. And bottleneck nothing. Who cares? The RX550 should be a decent hold over for you although if you can spring the extra cash ($120) you can get a 2GB non TI gtx 1050. It'll run circles around the RX550 and 560 using less power.
Depends on your definition of awkward, and where the monitors will be positioned. I have a 32" 60hz 1440p monitor as my main with a 27" 1080p IPS panel to my upper right for other stuff. It's all relative. 4K should be used for web pages and movies while gaming on the 1440p.

i mean moving from one to the other when working. everything will be smaller on the 4k screen because of the higher res right? also like you said scrolling on 144hz would be smoother so it would be jarring if you're scrolling on both monitors at the same time?

>750 ti when the 1050 exists

yea the window would appear a bit smaller as would text. As for scrolling, I don't think it would so jarring that you can't get past it.
>That switch picture

Lol no. And if it is, it's with the switch docked, and slow cooking itself to death. The switch was such an abortion.

How hot should an 1800X run relatively idle? Speccy tells me 40-50 C. Maybe I fucked up the thermal paste?

it had ~20 degree offset.

What's the best PCI wireless network adapter at an affordable price? The two with a bunch of reviews on PC part picker are several years old.

What's the best GPU to pair with an i5 2400? Preferably one with no power pins required but if necessary I can get a new power supply.

The fan I'm planning to use on my CPU cooler is 3.6 watts (0.3 amps), which is considerably higher than any other fan I've ever tried to use before

You can disable the offset in some motherboard or new bios version

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704040

Bought this back in 2011 for $27, has worked perfectly the entire time, worth every penny

You could grab one on CL and mod it to use regular components.

pretty sure most headers can handle at least 1 amp (12 watts)
wouldn't recommend splitting it more than two ways though, regardless of wattage/amperage

Just need a small bit of advice for a move to an R3 1200 or 1300X. I'm going to run 2400mhz RAM, but apparently they're very sensitive to RAM speed. Is 2400mhz enough to be considered worth using? I'm going to be cooling it with a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi so i'm going to have room for overclock.

And on the other hand, motherboard brands. It's down to ASrock, MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS. Which is the one to go with if I don't want the board to shit the bed within months? I'm kinda wary of ASrock, and people have told me to avoid MSI and go with Gigabyte. Looking for the experience/evidence of a thousand screaming anons.

the big problem with Ryzen is not being able to run higher-speed RAM at the rate you're supposed to be, it usually automatically downclocks to 2400 or 2667

stick to the QVL, and I've also heard that the X-chips MAY have less compatibility issues

amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf

What are good full tower cases that you would reccomend? I was gonna use the rosewill throne window but people in the last thread said I could afford something better.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553002

I was here yesterday in the afternoon.

I was looking through the QVL list for the Crosshair VI Hero and I noticed that there was only 2 models that they tested at 32gigs for the RAM.

I was initially going to buy 2 sets of Corsair's Dominator Platinum because I thought I would achieve 3200 with all 4 of them but now I am having second thoughts.

My question is that, will my initial pick still function with all four slots at 3200 and it just hasn't been tested or should I just go for one of the two that have been tested?

which kikeripper mobo is everyone getting?

If it isn't on the QVL, no one knows if it will work till you try to POST with it.

Yeah, the Kingston/HyperX HX424C15FBK2 kit is confirmed supported. Now I just need to know motherboard brand for a B350 AM4 board.

ASrock, MSI, Gigabyte or ASUS? I've been told ASrock and MSI are garbage.

Is it worth buying a fan for my RAM if I'm planning on going to 3200 with a Ryzen 7?

could you put a bunch of pre 08 cpus in a custom motherboard to avoid the backdoor jew?

I'm kind of afraid of getting an AIO liquid cooler, are there some air alternatives with similar performance, im not really bothered about noise

If I wanted to build a Windows XP gaming machine for 2007 and older games with the absolute best period accurate parts for the time, what do I choose?

The only way to avoid the backdoor jew is to eschew all technology and become a hermit or live with the amish.

How many months left until they release coffee lake?

>custom motherboard

Take your pic. E.g. NH-D15. High end air coolers are as good as high end AIOs

Also air coolers are actually quieter

I assume this is for your CPU? Which processor/TDP? How much overclocking do you plan on doing?

what gpu would work best for this ? for my familia

So what the fuck. Building a PC should I go for Ryzen, intel, or wait for this vega shit?

pcpartpicker.com/list/gZwnRG

That's what I got, any tweaks you lads can think of? I pretty much only play CSGO and dota 2, occasionally a AAA title. I'm using a laptop for the past couple years and it's been... pretty much fine. Can't max settings on AAA games but decent for CSGO and dota 2. Never built a PC though, is this alright? I have a mouse and headset already.

Ryzen + Nvidia is the best atm

The crosshair vi board on the overclockers forum has a big Google document with RAM timings and speeds people have achieved. Just check that and see what's there

7700k is probably not the best choice, I'd go with a Ryzen 5 1600 in your case

So which Ryzen is best? Sorry I have no clue I just know this intel one is like.. the best they got.

Can you explain why? I thought it was the best? Also, how's the other parts of the build? Pretty much maxed out on my budget.

I need a PCIe wireless networking adapter. which one should I buy?

1700 or 7700k.
1700 is superior.
7700k is just slightly better at gaming.

you don't need a 1700 so just get a ryzen 5 and overclock it when you need to

not that user but
>pretty much only play CSGO and dota 2, occasionally a AAA title

You don't need more than a 1600 for those 2 games if you mainly play those.

But.. gaming is what I'm getting it for? Don't I want the better thing for gaming?

If the main function is gaming, you don't need to go higher than Ryzen 5

Get a 1600, and slowly introduce yourself to the joys/pains of overclocking

Doesn't overclocking make the CPU not last as long?

Yes for CPU, I bought an i7 7700k on special a while back, didn't have the cash to finish my build at the time. I probably won't overclock at all. Just a pc for gaming.
Thanks will look into it.

Then get the 7700k

Depending on the specific game, the law of diminishing returns on adding extra cores kicks in gently, or kicks in HARD....6 should be plenty for just about any current title

And in your case, putting the money you'd save from stepping "down" from a Ryzen 7 to a Ryzen 5 towards an improved video card is a MUCH better investment towards better graphics quality and framerates

if you overclock it a lot, it can
and the safe amount will vary from model to model, or even chip to chip within the same model #SiliconLottery
But you ought to be able to squeeze at least a couple hundred MHz out of your CPU safely regardless

help

Is the 980ti still a good card for 1080p and 1440p gaming? How many years can I still get out of it if I decided to buy one now?

Why is not having features considered a benefit of cases these days? It's so fucking alien to me how all these high-end cases lack 5.25" bays.

Anybody got a recommendation on a horizontal case?

The GPU bend for some of the newer cards gives me anxiety.

What's a good monitor to pair with a 1080? I already have a 1080p/144hz monitor that I'll be retiring as a secondary monitor.

just get a riser desu